Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? (1517 Views)

Free Wikibook On How To Create A P2P (Peer-to-Peer) System / Nigeria Is Making Me Lose International Web Development Jobs :( / Peer To Peer (P2P) App Development With Java (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 1:50pm On Feb 12, 2013
i just think the question does it all, i wanted to make something small in c++ and thought of this. so please what are your opinions
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 2:25pm On Feb 12, 2013
netesy: i just think the question does it all, i wanted to make something small in c++ and thought of this. so please what are your opinions
why would you want to do that?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 2:34pm On Feb 12, 2013
i want to start a new project and i am fascinated with the inner workings of bit torrent so i thought why not make a similar protocol
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 3:08pm On Feb 12, 2013
use Bluetooth, infrared and all existing protocols so it can work well in naija
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Seun(m): 9:57pm On Feb 12, 2013
It pays to start with a real problem. What's the problem you're trying to solve, exactly?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 10:47pm On Feb 12, 2013
netesy: use Bluetooth, infrared and all existing protocols so it can work well in naija
you want to use p2p protocol on local networks? of what use will that be?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 2:41am On Feb 13, 2013
File sharing is the key.......
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
you can start out with a project, you will learn something on the way.
for python, a look at http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ will help.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Seun(m): 1:39pm On Feb 13, 2013
A dead simple network file sharing program could be useful, but I bet there are many out there. Also, avoid twisted.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 1:52pm On Feb 13, 2013
i have not sen any that works via bluetoooth, infared, wifi and the web
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 4:45pm On Feb 13, 2013
netesy: File sharing is the key.......
if I have access to my device's bluetooth and wlan, why will I need another protocol to help me with file transfer?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Feb 13, 2013
Seun: A dead simple network file sharing program could be useful, but I bet there are many out there. Also, avoid twisted.
why?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Seun(m): 7:15pm On Feb 13, 2013
webdezzi: why?
The asynchronous network programming model is not Pythonic, IMHO. It makes things more complicated than they should be.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2013
I haven't seen a case where it make things complicated because what it does is make writing servers very very easy.
the fact that it's event driven is why i can't live without it.

i have a live project, actually a production server, where i had to use twisted to quickly setup a server.
the server mainly runs on a remote IP and port, except that i had to build an authentication system into it, it was a breeze.
i have a function which takes care of the database stuff which i named query(my_query_here), well that function tells my twisted server what row was touched whenever it returns from an update or insert statement.
twisted reports this to every connected client and each client knows "yea, i need to re-fetch this row, i've just been told it may have changed"

that way we dont need to poll the database for changes, the clients, written in python, just had to maintain a persistent connection to my twisted based server.
Twisted did well, it was lightweight and establishing connections took fraction of seconds
mind sharing ur experiences?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 2:00pm On Feb 14, 2013
lordZOUGA:
if I have access to my device's bluetooth and wlan, why will I need another protocol to help me with file transfer?
will every device have that? Pls can i get twisted in c++ would be happy if you can help webdezzi
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 2:18pm On Feb 14, 2013
netesy: will every device have that?
if you are asking this question, then it's either you are asking the wrong questions or you do not know what you are doing. no offence.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 2:28pm On Feb 14, 2013
lordZOUGA:
if you are asking this question, then it's either you are asking the wrong questions or you do not know what you are doing. no offence.
yeah right non taken bt a gud protocol is supposed to be usable on a large variety of device bt my nokia c2 has only bluetooth no wlan
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 3:02pm On Feb 14, 2013
netesy: yeah right non taken bt a gud protocol is supposed to be usable on a large variety of device bt my nokia c2 has only bluetooth no wlan
have you read the specifications for the P2P protocol? your bluetooth is only going to transfer files at a certain speed. even if you succeed in making a torrent application for your device that works with bluetooth, you will end up slowing down the transfer speed because the bandwidth will be split between receiving and sending.

over the WLAN it is still the same story. slowing down transfer speed with no apparent increase in satisfaction.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 3:34pm On Feb 14, 2013
lordZOUGA:
have you read the specifications for the P2P protocol? your bluetooth is only going to transfer files at a certain speed. even if you succeed in making a torrent application for your device that works with bluetooth, you will end up slowing down the transfer speed because the bandwidth will be split between receiving and sending.

over the WLAN it is still the same story. slowing down transfer speed with no apparent increase in satisfaction.
i have read, and well valid points there bt wont the user getting the file be satisfy enough and the bluetooth and wlan speed will only affect the users of those protocols
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 3:47pm On Feb 14, 2013
netesy: i have read, and well valid points there bt wont the user getting the file be satisfy enough and the bluetooth and wlan speed will only affect the users of those protocols
I do not understand this question. rephrase please.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by AZeD1(m): 11:15am On Feb 15, 2013
If you want to build a p2p service because you want to learn something then its all good but if you want to build an alternative to torrent, then i wish you all the best.
Besides how will p2p work via bluetooth?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:03pm On Feb 15, 2013
A-ZeD:
If you want to build a p2p service because you want to learn something then its all good but if you want to build an alternative to torrent, then i wish you all the best.
Besides how will p2p work via bluetooth?
it is possible.. if he installs the same application on participating devices..
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:10pm On Feb 15, 2013
@netesy, I think your idea might be feasible, it is possible to make the application in such a way that it does not noticeably affect the transfer speed but that's for a sufficiently large number of peers..
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 12:22pm On Feb 15, 2013
Thank lordZOUGA but would you care to join me in making this a reality?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
netesy: Thank lordZOUGA but would you care to join me in making this a reality?
what will be the use of this application.. if made. that's my only problem.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 12:30pm On Feb 15, 2013
lordZOUGA:
what will be the use of this application.. if made. that's my only problem.
sharing at the moment maybe with proxy service e.g socialvpn
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 12:37pm On Feb 15, 2013
netesy: sharing at the moment maybe with proxy service e.g socialvpn
were you looking for a way to share your intetnet connection through bluetooth?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by netesy(m): 12:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
I havent thought of that, but can it?
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by lordZOUGA(m): 1:14pm On Feb 15, 2013
netesy: I havent thought of that, but can it?
its possible.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by AZeD1(m): 9:43pm On Feb 16, 2013
lordZOUGA:
it is possible.. if he installs the same application on participating devices..
Yeah but then all devices would have to be in the same room which defeats the aim because you can just use bluetooth to share the files instead.
Re: Is Making Another Peer To Peer Protocol Necessary? by Nobody: 7:22am On Feb 17, 2013
another protocol?...good idea towards making life easier
anyways, make sure it's compatible with azure or better still and more general, 'cloud computing'..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairalanders Programmers Please I Need Your Help / Android Application Developer Urgently Needed / Why Do Must Programmers End Up Teaching

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.