Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,302 members, 7,819,020 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

The Gospel Of Prosperity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Gospel Of Prosperity (2401 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / Salvation And The Gospel Of Prosperity / The Gospel Of Barnabas(the True Forgotten Gospel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:52pm On Feb 12, 2013
The Gospel of Prosperity
February 12, 2013.

"Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you" (Romans 1:10).

This mention of the word "prosperous" is the first of the only four occurrences of the Greek word enodoo (meaning literally "good journey," but translated "prosper" or "prosperous" ) in the New Testament. Here it is actually rendered "prosperous journey."

It is obvious that Paul was not praying for his journey to prosper financially, for the next verse indicates his long desire had been to "impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established" (Romans 1:11).

However, the word has come to include any kind of prospering, as in 1 Corinthians 16:2, when Paul urged Christians to provide financial help for other Christians in need. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him," he said.

The term can also refer to physical and spiritual health. Its two other occurrences are in 3 John 2: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." Unfortunately, certain teachers of these latter days have taken the biblical teaching of spiritual prosperity to mean financial prosperity, which they teach is the right of every Christian. But this "prosperity gospel" is so clearly unscriptural that it is merely a testimony to the cupidity of the Christians who believe it. "They that |desire to| be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts," warned Paul (1 Timothy 6:9). And to whatever extent God does prosper us financially, it is strictly for the purpose of helping others, not to indulge ourselves. "Charge them that are rich in this world, that . . . they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute" (1 Timothy 6:17-18 ). HMM

For more . . . .

1 Like

Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 12, 2013
OLAADEGBU: The Gospel of Prosperity
February 12, 2013.

"Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you" (Romans 1:10).

This mention of the word "prosperous" is the first of the only four occurrences of the Greek word enodoo (meaning literally "good journey," but translated "prosper" or "prosperous" ) in the New Testament. Here it is actually rendered "prosperous journey."

It is obvious that Paul was not praying for his journey to prosper financially, for the next verse indicates his long desire had been to "impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established" (Romans 1:11).

However, the word has come to include any kind of prospering, as in 1 Corinthians 16:2, when Paul urged Christians to provide financial help for other Christians in need. "Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him," he said.

The term can also refer to physical and spiritual health. Its two other occurrences are in 3 John 2: "Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth." Unfortunately, certain teachers of these latter days have taken the biblical teaching of spiritual prosperity to mean financial prosperity, which they teach is the right of every Christian. But this "prosperity gospel" is so clearly unscriptural that it is merely a testimony to the cupidity of the Christians who believe it. "They that |desire to| be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts," warned Paul (1 Timothy 6:9). And to whatever extent God does prosper us financially, it is strictly for the purpose of helping others, not to indulge ourselves. "Charge them that are rich in this world, that . . . they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute" (1 Timothy 6:17-18 ). HMM

For more . . . .

Limitation: stop limiting yourself with this jewish book!
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by seyi360(m): 6:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
(1)Is Zechariah 1:17 in your Bible? (2)Do u know dat poverty is a curse? (3)Do u realize more sins are commited by d poor?
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:13pm On Feb 12, 2013
ifeness:

Limitation: stop limiting yourself with this jewish book!

And stop vexing your spirit with this Jewish book! cheesy
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by MrSinister(m): 7:00pm On Feb 12, 2013
The gospel itself is a message of prosperity. Afterall, is it not written that HE maketh HIMSELF poor so that WE can be RICH?
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:38pm On Feb 13, 2013
Prosperity Versus Contentment

"But godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Timothy 6:6).

In this day of Madison-Avenue sales pressures and an ever-increasing array of technological gadgets and creature comforts, the Christian virtue of contentment is a rare commodity. There is even a widespread error among born-again Christians that material prosperity is a token of spirituality and divine approval on an affluent life style.

Instead of a blessing, however, such affluence (if it comes) should be regarded as a testing, for Jesus said: "unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required" (Luke 12:48 ). Paul was perhaps the most faithful and fruitful Christian who ever lived, yet he died penniless, in a Roman dungeon. His own testimony concerning material possessions and standards of living was this: "I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need" (Philippians 4:11,12).

In the context of our key verse above, the Apostle Paul has actually been warning young Pastor Timothy against the influence of those who suppose, among other things, "that gain is godliness," and who think that their material prosperity is proof of their spiritual prosperity. "From such" says Paul, "withdraw thyself" (1 Timothy 6:5). Material gain in no way either produces or denotes godliness; rather, godliness itself is the gain, if accompanied by contentment in Christ (otherwise, of course, it is not true godliness)! Even the most impoverished believer can acquire riches in heaven, where it really counts. In the meantime: "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). HMM

For more . . . .

2 Likes

Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by truthislight: 8:40am On Feb 14, 2013
Good and truthful.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by PastorKun(m): 8:49am On Feb 14, 2013
OLAADEGBU: The Gospel of Prosperity
February 12, 2013.

For more . . . .

But it's tithe preaching pimps like yourself that promote this idea of prosperity gospel na or is it not your favourite Malachi 3:8-10 that is being used to deceive brethen that God would open the windows of heaven and pour financial blessing on them when they tithe? silly hypocrite tongue
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:33pm On Feb 14, 2013
True Prosperity

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth" (3 John 2).

This text has been misused by many who promote the modern false gospel of health and wealth—teachers who promise healing and financial success to every believer whose "soul prospereth." The negative implication of such teaching, of course, is that Christians who are not in robust physical health and enjoying material affluence are somehow lacking in faith and not in the will of God. Death is considered the ultimate lack of faith.

This pernicious notion is disproved, of course, merely by the example of Paul the apostle, a far more exemplary Christian than any of these latter-day false teachers, yet a man whose earnest prayer for healing of his "thorn in the flesh" was denied, and who died in poverty and martyrdom in a Roman dungeon. Modern examples could also be cited in great numbers—blind Fanny Crosby and her wonderful hymns, for example, or those who have given their lives in sacrificial service on a thousand mission fields.

Note that our text is not a promise, but a prayer. Furthermore, that prayer will be answered in great fullness, but not necessarily now! "And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. . . . He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son" (Revelation 21:4,7).

In the meantime, we should remember that this coming time of true prosperity will be measured in accordance with the health and prosperity of our souls, exactly as John had prayed for his spiritual children, for Jesus said: "My reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be" (Revelation 22:12). HMM

For more . . . .
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 7:07am On Feb 15, 2013
OLAADEGBU:
This text has been misused by many who promote the modern false gospel of health and wealth—

Health and wealth false gospel? You're kidding . So what is your gospel , poverty and sickness ? Does that sound like good news. The gospel is good news of total salvation.

Psalms 35:27
“Let the Lord be magnified,
Who has pleasure in the prosperity of His servant.”

God has not changed dear . He always want us buoyant enough to help others. And he's not again your pleasure.

2 Likes

Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Goshen360(m): 7:13am On Feb 15, 2013
God bless you brother joagbaje. You see, until WE stop all these copy and paste job, we will never be like the Bereans.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by truthislight: 8:08am On Feb 15, 2013
Joagbaje:

Health and wealth false gospel? You're kidding . So what is your gospel , poverty and sickness ? Does that sound like good news. The gospel is good news of total salvation.

God has not changed dear . He always want us buoyant enough to help others. And he's not again your pleasure.

The NT encourages christians to work hard and have what to eat but does not say that when you become a christian you will become rich.

That 3John was talking about prospering in the truth. (Increase in knowledge)

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." (3 John 1:2-4).

People should stick to saying what the bible says.

If one should work hard he will earn a living.

But the prosperity gospel is a different thing and is not the message that christ ask christians to preach to the world.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Zikkyy(m): 8:15am On Feb 15, 2013
Joagbaje:

Are you sure the author of psalms was not referring to himself? You know David was loaded smiley am not so sure he had you in mind when writing that Psalms grin You might want to claim it sha (with faith), but am sure David no send you one bit grin

Joagbaje:

If you are saying God want some group of people to be rich they will be able to help the poor. one questions sir; Who are the 'us' and which category of people belong to the 'others' group?
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 9:04am On Feb 15, 2013
Goshen360: God bless you brother joagbaje. You see, until WE stop all these copy and paste job, we will never be like the Bereans.

What is copy and paste , in bible quotation?
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 9:15am On Feb 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

Are you sure the author of psalms was not referring to himself?

Don't miss the point there. It's the principle you should look at. God has pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. it applies to any servant of his. What God is against is trust (false security) in riches and he also frowns at greedy men who can't share what they have.

1 Timothy 6:17
. . . living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy.

We can't be more righteous than God.

If you are saying God want some group of people to be rich they will be able to help the poor. one questions sir; Who are the 'us' and which category of people belong to the 'others' group?

1 Timothy 6:17-18
17 Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. 18 Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share,

1 Like

Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:07am On Feb 15, 2013
Covetousness In The Latter Days

"And He said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth" (Luke 12:15).

The sin of covetousness perhaps has been the most besetting sin of the human race since Eve, and God finally wrote it into the Decalogue itself: "Thou shalt not covet" (Exodus 20:17). The apostle Paul even made the sweeping statement: "The love of money is the root of all evil" (1 Timothy 6:10). "For . . . no . . . covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God" (Ephesians 5:5).

In view of such warnings, the Christian should indeed greatly beware of covetousness. Nevertheless, one of the distressing characteristics predicted for the "last days" is a great increase of covetousness, even among professing Christians. "In the last days . . . men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous. . . . Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof" (2 Timothy 3:1,2,5).

It is sad to see so many modern "Christian" movements promoting what might be called a "prosperity cult," teaching that "gain is godliness." Stressing "positive mental attitude," "self-help," "creative visualization," and various other supposed spiritual psychotherapies, these modern false teachers and their affluent life styles have deluded multitudes of coveting Christians into thinking they have some sort of divine right to material prosperity.

The Greek word for "covetous," describing men of the last days (2 Timothy 3:2) is the same as that for "love of money" (1 Timothy 6:10), an undue attention to material things. It is also used (in negative form) in Hebrews 13:5, and this is the true Christian standard. "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee." HMM

For more . . . .
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Snowwy: 1:05pm On Feb 15, 2013
@Olaadegbu,
Indeed God's prosperity can be seen in

Isaiah 61:1-7
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;

2 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn;

3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

4 And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

5 And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.

6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the Lord: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

7 For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them.

Jesus summarised His work on earth in those verses which is deliveraance, freedom, restoration, health, wealth, joy, peace, righteousness and abundance. This I see as true prosperity.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Nobody: 1:06pm On Feb 15, 2013
Snowwy: @Olaadegbu,

Jesus summarised His work on earth in those verses which is deliveraance, freedom, restoration, health, wealth, joy, righteousness and abundance. This I see as true prosperity.

especially Money !
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:01pm On Feb 15, 2013

Jesus summarised His work on earth in those verses which is deliveraance, freedom, restoration, health, wealth, joy, peace, righteousness and abundance. This I see as true prosperity.

This is true but prosperity gospel teachers are encouraging coveteousness teaching that gain translates to godliness. What we should be preaching should be spiritual prosperity. Spiritual prosperity translates into physical and material prosperity. The danger comes when we think that the gospel is all about financial prosperity and that if you are not wealthy you don't have faith. What then happens if the believer doesn't get wealthy? He then begins to doubt God and resort to self management.

This is Paul's warning to believers:

"They that |desire to| be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts," (1 Timothy 6:9).

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that . . . they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute" (1 Timothy 6:17-18 ).
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 5:04pm On Feb 15, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

This is true but prosperity gospel teachers are encouraging coveteousness teaching that gain translates to godliness. What we should be preaching should be spiritual prosperity. Spiritual prosperity translates into physical and material prosperity.

You're simply contradicting yoursel here. Question : is God against financial prosperity ? I believe the answer is clear "no" So what are we talking about. Is there any preacher that will encourage people to go after material wealth at the expense of spirutuality . It is simple comin sense for us to understand that the first responsibility of ministry is the spiritual well being of a man. The financial and material ones is a manifestation . But here you are you give impression God wants us poor and against physical prosperity . Yet your are quoting paul telling the RICH brethren not to be high minded. Why didn't Paul ask Timothy to excommunicate the rich brethren . For having money?

The gospel is about prosperity spirituality and physically .

The wrong gospel is the gospel of poverty.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 5:05pm On Feb 15, 2013

Simple and short . The gospel of poverty is from hell.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:23pm On Feb 15, 2013
Joagbaje:

You're simply contradicting yoursel here. Question : is God against financial prosperity ? I believe the answer is clear "no" So what are we talking about. Is there any preacher that will encourage people to go after material wealth at the expense of spirutuality . It is simple comin sense for us to understand that the first responsibility of ministry is the spiritual well being of a man. The financial and material ones is a manifestation . But here you are you give impression God wants us poor and against physical prosperity . Yet your are quoting paul telling the RICH brethren not to be high minded. Why didn't Paul ask Timothy to excommunicate the rich brethren . For having money?

The gospel is about prosperity spirituality and physically .

The wrong gospel is the gospel of poverty.

You are the one building a Strawman here. Where did I say that God expects us to be poor? You encourage folks to go after material wealth at the expense of their spirituality when you make them believe that they ought to be wealthy. You teach them to name and claim it and when they are unable to claim it they begin to resort to underhand tactics to acheive their goal or begin to doubt God. Godliness with contentment is great gain.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:24pm On Feb 15, 2013
Joagbaje:

Simple and short . The gospel of poverty is from hell.

I will rather say that both the "prosperity" and "poverty" gospels are from the pit of hell.

1 Like

Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Zikkyy(m): 5:26pm On Feb 15, 2013
Joagbaje:
Don't miss the point there. It's the principle you should look at. God has pleasure in the prosperity of his servant.

i think you are dodging ma question. You said God has pleasure in the prosperity of his servant, then you added that God want us to to be loaded so we can help others. i want to know the category of people that belong to this 'others' group. Are they God's servants? simple question like this, you begin unnecessary dribble.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 5:41pm On Feb 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

i think you are dodging ma question. You said God has pleasure in the prosperity of his servant, then you added that God want us to to be loaded so we can help others. i want to know the category of people that belong to this 'others' group. Are they God's servants? simple question like this, you begin unnecessary dribble.

Is there anything there to dodge.? Take it as oversight. And in response to your question . Any less privileged at the moment. Especially in reaching out with the gospel. And any Christian who has need
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:40pm On Feb 15, 2013
Can you really "Name it and Claim it"? (Ask Dr. Stanley) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQkQTri1hyo
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 6:50pm On Feb 15, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Can you really "Name it and Claim it"? (Ask Dr. Stanley) .

No rather ask jesus.

Matthew 7:7
7 “ Ask, and it will be given to you. .
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Feb 15, 2013
Joagbaje:

No rather ask jesus.

Matthew 7:7
7 “ Ask, and it will be given to you. .

So you don't name it and claim it?
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Joagbaje(m): 7:45pm On Feb 15, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

So you don't name it and claim it?

Whatever thst means . I follow the bible
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by Snowwy: 8:22pm On Feb 15, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

This is true but prosperity gospel teachers are encouraging coveteousness teaching that gain translates to godliness. What we should be preaching should be spiritual prosperity. Spiritual prosperity translates into physical and material prosperity. The danger comes when we think that the gospel is all about financial prosperity and that if you are not wealthy you don't have faith. What then happens if the believer doesn't get wealthy? He then begins to doubt God and resort to self management.

This is Paul's warning to believers:

"They that |desire to| be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts," (1 Timothy 6:9).

"Charge them that are rich in this world, that . . . they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute" (1 Timothy 6:17-18 ).

Yes there are preachers that preach that. However, since there is no where in the bible that shows that, infact the bible says seek first God's kingdom and His righteousness and all other things will be added unto us, we should kbow they are not preaching the truth.
For if a man gains the whole world, but loses his soul, it is a waste.

The bible says it is God that teaches us to profit. When we follow God first, He will step in and show us where the value that can be added to mankind that has material wealth attached to it is.

It is better than just beating around the bush and fruitless effort chasing shadows.
Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by wordthots: 10:39pm On Feb 15, 2013
truthislight:

The NT encourages christians to work hard and have what to eat but does not say that when you become a christian you will become rich.

That 3John was talking about prospering in the truth. (Increase in knowledge)

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." (3 John 1:2-4).

People should stick to saying what the bible says.

If one should work hard he will earn a living.

But the prosperity gospel is a different thing and is not the message that christ ask christians to preach to the world.

Contentment has lost its place in our times. Now every christian wants to be a millionaire, but there's no such promise in the bible. Nowadays christians are decieved into doing all sorts of stuff (eg sow a certain amount to destroy poverty)
We 've put so much emphasis on the temporal, forgetting that there's so much more.
The order is seek first his kingdom and other things will be added. When we follow after God, he makes provisin for our needs to be met and bills paid ( not necessarily in millions)

Years back when preaching I used to present the gospel in a certain way. "If you have jesus you will never know poverty, sickness and you will live long". I tried using the prosperity aspect as a selling point for the gospel. How ignorant I was...
I recently read in the papers about a certain man hugh hefner (owner of playboy- a mag dat promotes immorality) and was amazed. The guy is rich, healthy and very old, and he is far from being saved (without judging its obvious). There are many pagans, atheists etc just like him.
You don't have to be a christian to be innovative and standout, I mean that's clear in our world today; an example is Japan, which has more idol worshippers than christians yet it has a good economy and it is very innovative.

The richest men in the world are atheists, buddhists and pagans not christians.
My point; there's so much more to christianity...

1 Like

Re: The Gospel Of Prosperity by wordthots: 10:59pm On Feb 15, 2013
I recently realized that even Kenneth Hagin snr of blessed memory (considered father of the prosperity gospel) tried correcting many distortions before going to be with the Lord
Check below:

http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/churchandministry/Grady_Hagan_Prosperity.aspx

Hagin taught that God was not glorified by poverty and that preachers do not have to be poor. But before he died in 2003 and left his Rhema Bible Training Center in the hands of his son, Kenneth Hagin Jr., he summoned many of his colleagues to Tulsa to rebuke them for distorting his message. He was not happy that some of his followers were manipulating the Bible to support what he viewed as greed and selfish indulgence.

Those who were close to Hagin Sr. say he was passionate about correcting these abuses before he died. In fact, he wrote a brutally honest book to address his concerns. The Midas Touch was published in 2000, a year after the infamous Tulsa meeting.

Many Word-Faith ministers ignored the book. But in light of the recent controversy over prosperity doctrines, it might be a good idea to dust it off and read it again.

Here are a few of the points Hagin made in The Midas Touch:

1. Financial prosperity is not a sign of God’s blessing. Hagin wrote: “If wealth alone were a sign of spirituality, then drug traffickers and crime bosses would be spiritual giants. Material wealth can be connected to the blessings of God or it can be totally disconnected from the blessings of God.”

2. People should never give in order to get. Hagin was critical of those who “try to make the offering plate some kind of heavenly vending machine.” He denounced those who link giving to getting, especially those who give cars to get new cars or who give suits to get new suits. He wrote: “There is no spiritual formula to sow a Ford and reap a Mercedes.”

3. It is not biblical to “name your seed” in an offering. Hagin was horrified by this practice, which was popularized in faith conferences during the 1980s. Faith preachers sometimes tell donors that when they give in an offering they should claim a specific benefit to get a blessing in return. Hagin rejected this idea and said that focusing on what you are going to receive “corrupts the very attitude of our giving nature.”

4. The “hundredfold return” is not a biblical concept. Hagin did the math and figured out that if this bizarre notion were true, “we would have Christians walking around with not billions or trillions of dollars, but quadrillions of dollars!” He rejected the popular teaching that a believer should claim a specific monetary payback rate.

5. Preachers who claim to have a “debt-breaking” anointing should not be trusted. Hagin was perplexed by ministers who promise “supernatural debt cancellation” to those who give in certain offerings. He wrote in The Midas Touch: “There is not one bit of Scripture I know about that validates such a practice. I’m afraid it is simply a scheme to raise money for the preacher, and ultimately it can turn out to be dangerous and destructive for all involved.”

(Many evangelists who appear on Christian television today use this bogus claim. Usually they insist that the miraculous debt cancellation will occur only if a person “gives right now,” as if the anointing for this miracle suddenly evaporates after the prime time viewing hour. This manipulative claim is more akin to witchcraft than Christian belief.)

Hagin condemned other hairbrained gimmicks designed to trick audiences into emptying their wallets. He was especially incensed when a preacher told his radio listeners that he would take their prayer requests to Jesus’ empty tomb in Jerusalem and pray over them there—if donors included a special love gift. “What that radio preacher really wanted was more people to send in offerings,” Hagin wrote.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Lords Chosen Crusade!!! God Has The Answer! / Heb. 1:5, 'today I Have Begotten You' JESUS Beign 'begotten' Means ADOPTION / Wow!!! I Just Saw An Atheist ! Live!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.