Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,096 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Religion And Enlightenment - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion And Enlightenment (755 Views)

The Difference Between RELIGION And CHRISTIANITY. / I Now Believe Religion and our mentality Is Hindering Nigeria Progress. / Difference Between a Religion and a Cult (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Religion And Enlightenment by Tasma: 2:57pm On Mar 12, 2008
The other day I had a discussion with a born-again "spirit-filled" person at work and the discussion got round to the subject of Jews. I made a statement about most Jews not being Christians and he was genuinely shocked. He said that was impossible seeing as Christ himself was Jewish. After a little tutoring he admitted he didn't know that. Now my point is that he just did not know much of Christian/Jewish history and had not bothered to read up about it. Yet he would always insist that he is a "true" Christian and I don't begrudge him for this. He is actually a nice and pleasant person. It's just that I find it quite worrying that there can be this much "faith" with so little enlightenment.

So the question really is that is it possible to profess faith without knowledge? How do you discern what is right or wrong in your faith without knowledge or is it unnecessary to have "worldly knowledge" to understand the basis of your faith? Lastly since we know human knowledge grows over time is it possible the our interpretation of our faiths are constantly evolving?

Would love to hear people's comments.
Re: Religion And Enlightenment by tpaine: 3:14pm On Mar 12, 2008
I have similarly been worried that the low level of "worldly knowledge" amongst the faithful. It is really shocking indeed. These people feed off the trash they get give at churches and never read any other material.

"Faith is the guardian of ignorance. Reason the cynosure of progress and enlightenment".

(1) (Reply)

Who Were The Nephilims? / Luketech Technology Is Calling All Nageria / Pls How Many Holy Spirit Is In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.