Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,198 members, 7,953,730 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:38 AM

Church Then And Now - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Then And Now (678 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Then And Now by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 16, 2013
Financial Contributions

EARLY CHURCH : FREE WILL offerings taken for the needy only, no tithing (2 Cor.9:7). No building projects to fund. Members met in private homes (Rom.16:5; I Cor.16:19; Col.4:15)

MODERN CHURCH : Tithing aggressively taught. Non-tithers publicly shamed. Money provides pastor’s perks, building fund, landscaping, exciting programs, etc.

Pastoral suppot

EARLY CHURCH : Freewill giving, leadership sometimes worked on side (2 Cor.11:9; I Thes.2:9)

MODERN CHURCH : Leadership supported mainly through tithes, often live lavishly.

Church Authority

EARLY CHURCH : Elders taught and led by example, but all related to one another as brethren (Matt.23:8; I Pet.5:3). Only ONE Lord (Eph.4:5).

MODERN CHURCH : Heirarchy of MANY lords run the institutional church, from senior pastor all the way down to the deacon.

Giving & Receiving

EARLY CHURCH : EQUALITY of well-being preached by Paul (2 Cor.8:13-15). All to have the same care one for another (I Cor.12:25).

MODERN CHURCH : Poor pew members support rich clergy. Pastors drive fancy cars, take exciting holidays, and never stop begging for more.

Fellowship

EARLY CHURCH : DAILY they fellowshipped and broke bread from house to house. Christians shared possessions and looked after everyone’s well-being. (Acts 2:42-47)

MODERN CHURCH : Churches divide into little cliques which some can’t fit into. Lonely folks leave church to try to save their faith. People say “hello” once a week and that’s it. Occasional potluck meals, plays, concerts, etc.

Attitude toward poor

EARLY CHURCH : Compassion, in most cases (James 2 rebukes certain ones for favoring the rich). Jesus never asked for money for Himself, only for the poor (Mark 10:21). Jesus called the poor blessed and said they ALREADY possessed the kingdom of Heaven (Luke 6:20).

MODERN CHURCH : Neglect, sometimes scornful blame for not “sowing enough seed”. Poor depicted as faithless second-class believers and failures who don’t live like King’s Kids. Every man for himself. Pull yourself up by your own bootstraps. God helps those who help themselves.

Church Ministry

EARLY CHURCH : EVERYONE had something to contribute to service (I Cor.14:26; Eph.4:16). No mention of pulpits, pews, etc. The word “congregation” appears only in Old Testament, except for a gathering of Jews in Acts 13:43. Clergy-laity divide didn’t exist in early church.

MODERN CHURCH : “Pew saints” only pray, pay and obey. Ministry done mostly by pastor, visiting speakers and “song leaders”. Congregation are mostly spectators. Even some Charismatic churches discourage spiritual gifts out of fear of offending visitors.

Evangelization

EARLY CHURCH : Repentance toward God and faith toward Christ preached as ONLY basis for reconciliation with God and acceptance by Him (Acts 20:21). Preaching done in demonstration of the Spirit and power (I Cor.2:4-5). Real faith bore witness of Christ (Rom.1:8 )

MODERN CHURCH : Unconditional love of God toward all men preached, without mentioning “the wages of sin is death” (Rom.6:23). Sinners entertained, not warned. Positive messages only. Hell and God’s wrath against unrepentant sinners seldom mentioned. Powerless sermons, catchy clichés, 7 keys to prosperity, ABC faith formulas, slick marketing.

Moral Leadership

EARLY CHURCH : Christ’s under-shepherds commanded to be husband of ONE wife and set example for godly living (I Tim.3:2,12; Titus 1:6-9)).

MODERN CHURCH : God wants preachers to be happy regardless of who gets hurt. Repeated divorces and remarriages. Double standard. Single mothers in congregation often shunned instead of loved and helped.

Ministry Qualifications

EARLY CHURCH : Same as above. I Pet.5:2 forbids getting into the ministry for money. Verse 3 frowns on spiritual dictators. Preachers must lead by example. Humility and purity of heart a must.

MODERN CHURCH : Personal magnetism, good looks, beautiful face, sexy figure, expensive attire, success as an author or seminar speaker. An honorary (unearned) title of “Doctor” doesn’t hurt.

Giving of Alms

EARLY CHURCH : Peter didn’t rebuke lame beggar for asking for alms (Acts 3). Peter and John truthfully said they had no money. But they did get the beggar healed. Paul collected donations for needy churches (Rom.15:26; 2 Cor.8:7-15).

MODERN CHURCH : Only half-hearted prayer support usually given needy Christians. It’s cheaper. Preachers are biggest beggars in church. They solicit unscriptural money tithes for a new car or vacation. But poor tithe-payers can’t get help with heating or rent.

Definition of Church

EARLY CHURCH : The Body of Christ, comprised of many members gifted by the Spirit of God to edify one another in love and allow the life of Christ to minister in and through them as they gather together (I Cor. Chap.12).

MODERN CHURCH : Actions speak louder than words. Church is mainly a social club for affluent people who love only those like themselves. Or, “church” could mean just the fancy building the sheeple meet in.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Church Then And Now by Goshen360(m): 1:44am On Feb 16, 2013
^ Hey, Whatz up son! (of God) ^^^ I can see you're doing REAL GOOD!....by doing the work of an Evangelist! cool Keep it up, God is your reward!
Re: Church Then And Now by eddy1977(m): 3:29am On Feb 16, 2013
@ frosbel
Rather than hide behind a computer and play the sterile blame game,you should probably start thinking about starting your church. May be when you are a pastor,then you can show us the portrait of a real bible church.

Blaming darkness doesn't help until you turn the light on
Re: Church Then And Now by Ubenedictus(m): 8:29am On Feb 16, 2013
eddy1977: @ frosbel
Rather than hide behind a computer and play the sterile blame game,you should probably start thinking about starting your church. May be when you are a pastor,then you can show us the portrait of a real bible church.

Blaming darkness doesn't help until you turn the light on
ha! Frosbel doesnt believe in any church, i doubt he will believe in the one he establish.
Re: Church Then And Now by mumumugu(m): 8:34am On Feb 16, 2013
Diffrence. Preachers work on foot before.pastors now fly on jet
Re: Church Then And Now by alexleo(m): 9:04am On Feb 16, 2013
@frosbel,
your points are quite clear and exactly what is happening in today's church. I feel so sad about it. (though my church isnt that way anyway). am not trying to defend them but the truth is that if they were like that i ll leave them immediately. I hate to be in a church where bitter truth of God's word is relegated to the background while sweet messages take centre stage. God bless you my brother. I wonder how someone who is heaven conscious finds those sugar-tongue churches comfortable.
Re: Church Then And Now by Ubenedictus(m): 12:35pm On Feb 16, 2013
Oga frosbel it would be interesting to differentiate legit development from deviations. How about that.
Re: Church Then And Now by alexleo(m): 1:48pm On Feb 16, 2013
Ubenedictus: Oga frosbel it would be interesting to differentiate legit development from deviations. How about that.

stop talking what you dont know. Sin is development or what? carnality is development? greed is development? selfishness is development? Pls spare us.
Re: Church Then And Now by Ubenedictus(m): 6:55pm On Feb 17, 2013
alexleo:

stop talking what you dont know. Sin is development or what? carnality is development? greed is development? selfishness is development? Pls spare us.
u shuld read b4 u write. I made a simple request, i asked frosbel to differentiate between development and diversion, i never made a positive comment on anything instead i made a request and havent recieved a response.
All "changes" arent alterations or diversion, this is fact. There are developments, there are diversions. I asked that they be differentiated. No need to bring forth ur swords, put it back in its place.

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Or Church Marriage: Which Is Recognized By God? / Rapture / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Monday 6th May,2013 The Crucial Combination By Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.