Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,647 members, 7,813,175 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

I Don't Like Black Skin - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Don't Like Black Skin (2611 Views)

African Babes Repping Their Black Skin. / The Magnificent Black Skin's Worth. / Out Come Of Marriage with white and black skin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Don't Like Black Skin by unnamed: 4:26pm On Feb 21, 2013
The World Health Organization has reported that Nigerians are the highest users of such products: 77% of Nigerian women use the products on a regular basis. They are followed by Togo with 59%; South Africa with 35%; and Mali at 25%.

Studies have found that men are also beginning to bleach their skin
South Africa banned products containing more than 2% of hydroquinone - the most common active ingredient in in the 1980s. But it is easy to see creams and lotions containing the chemical on the stalls here. Some creams contain harmful steroids and others mercury.

While skin-lightening creams have been used by some South Africans for many years, they have become more common recently with the influx of people from countries such as Nigeria and Democratic Republic of Congo, where they are even more widespread.

In a bustling African market in the centre of Yeoville in Johannesburg, it is skin lighteners galore.

Walking through this community is like walking through a mini-Africa: you can find someone from any part of the continent here.

I notice that many of the women have uncharacteristically light skin faces while the rest of their bodies are darker.

Some even have scabby burns on their cheeks from the harmful chemicals used to strip the skin of pigmentation.

They don't want to speak openly about why they bleach their skin, or even have their pictures taken.

Psychologists say there are also underlying reasons why people bleach their skin - but low self-esteem and, to some degree self-hate, are a common thread.

But skin-lightening is not just a fascination and obsession of women. Congolese hair stylist Jackson Marcelle says he has been using special injections to bleach his skin for the past 10 years. Each injection lasts for six months.

"I pray every day and I ask God, 'God why did you make me black?' I don't like being black. I don't like black skin," he tells me.

Skin lightening creams are popular in many parts of Africa
Mr Marcelle - known in this busy community as Africa's Michael Jackson - says his mother used to apply creams on him when he was young in order to make him appear "less black".

"I like white people. Black people are seen as dangerous; that's why I don't like being black. People treat me better now because I look like I'm white," he adds.

Entrenched in the minds of many Africans from a young age is the adage "if it's white, it's all right", a belief that has chipped away at the self-esteem of millions.

Until this changes, no amount of official bans or public information campaigns will stop people risking serious damage to their health in the pursuit of what they think is beauty.
To read more go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20444798

Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 21, 2013
I pray every day and I ask God, 'God why did you make me black?' I don't like being black. I don't like black skin," he tells me Skin lightening creams are popular in many parts of Africa Mr Marcelle - known in this busy community as Africa's Michael Jackson - says his mother used to apply creams on him when he was young in order to make him mother used to apply creams on him when he was young in order to make him appear "less black""I like white people. Black people are seen as dangerous; that's why I don't like being black. People treat me better now because I look like I'm white," he adds. Entrenched in the minds of many Africans from a young age is the adage "if it's white, it's all right", a belief that has chipped away at the self-esteem of millions

Hmmmm.....so sad.

Meanwhile i wish i was darker. tongue
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by ifyalways(f): 9:50pm On Feb 21, 2013
I have a question for the bleachers,is the inside nyash affected by this bleaching fever undecided
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 9:58pm On Feb 21, 2013
I think really dark skin is so beautiful. The thick charcoal, pitch black type of dark skin.
I love it smiley
I wish dark people would stop hating their amazing complexions and just learn how to apply make up or clothes to compliment their skin color.

Meanwhile, I am not dark but very fair skinned so my complexion isn't why I made this comment grin.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by MrsChima1(f): 11:08pm On Feb 21, 2013
This is nothing new....this is older than Moses. undecided

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 11:47pm On Feb 21, 2013
Mrs..Chima:
This is nothing new....this is older than Moses. undecided

ok we know youre old. tongue grin

*RUNS!!*
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by pleep(m): 12:52am On Feb 22, 2013
How much yall wanna bet that every single poster above me uses a gallon of bleaching cream everyday. grin
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by MrsChima1(f): 12:58am On Feb 22, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

ok we know youre old. tongue grin

*RUNS!!*

Girl...my mother is in her 40's.....ENOUGH SAID. wink tongue
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by YorubaOmoge: 1:01am On Feb 22, 2013
I'm really embarrassed for these people.

What a shame.
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 1:06am On Feb 22, 2013
pleep: How much yall wanna bet that every single poster above me uses a gallon of bleaching cream everyday. grin
Bleaching cream for what? I am not dark
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by pleep(m): 1:07am On Feb 22, 2013
mmmk. lol
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 1:08am On Feb 22, 2013
Yoruba_Omoge: I'm really embarrassed for these people.
What a shame.
Truly a shame.
Mental slavery.
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Blyss: 8:33am On Feb 22, 2013
Mrs..Chima:

Damn she had you mad young, sis!! shocked

2 Likes

Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:33am On Feb 23, 2013
I like how dark I am the only thing I can use a cream for is to become darker and shinier. Well seriously people using all this creams need to be enlightened about the health releated problems, and a change of mindset. There is no logical proof that white is better than black, its all irrational BIAS
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by nobniger: 1:33am On Feb 24, 2013
So sad
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 2:51am On Feb 24, 2013
Mrs..Chima:

Blyss:

Damn she had you mad young, sis!! shocked

Lol i know right..
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Sissy3(f): 5:43am On Feb 24, 2013
ifyalways: I have a question for the bleachers,is the inside nyash affected by this bleaching fever undecided

LOL i want to know too
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2013
unnamed: 77% of Nigerian women use the products on a regular basis.

That is an utter, reprehensible, pathetic LIE.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 24, 2013
unnamed: 77% of Nigerian women use the products on a regular basis.

That is an utter, reprehensible, pathetic LIE.

Meanwhile these are the same idio.ts that will tell us that ''80% of Nigerian live on less than a dollar a day''.

I guess their ''77% of women'' must be using their 1 dollar a day to buy bleaching cream.

Rubbish lies and statistics.

1 Like

Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by pleep(m): 5:23pm On Feb 24, 2013
hehe ^
Re: I Don't Like Black Skin by scorpio58(f): 5:44pm On Feb 24, 2013
Someone once told me that I let what I look like on the outside, affect how I feel on the inside. This was an over weight issue. I realized that I have a self worth and I refuse to let others validate me. I am a child of a great Creator who created himself in triple darkness. Black cannot come from white. White comes from black. Check the color scheme. The problem with people today is that they are too busy being visual rather than learning about who a person really is from the inside. Being black skinned does not make anyone evil. Embrace yourself with your black skin and know that you are beautiful. Skin creams do not hide your true character. If a person judge you by your color rather than the contents of your character, that person is the evil one.

(1) (Reply)

American Born Nigerian Woman Dating And Possibly Marrying African American Man / Tatoo: How It Started / The Good Old Days(throwback Pictures) .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.