Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,670 members, 7,809,536 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

The Unpopular ₦ Symbol - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Unpopular ₦ Symbol (2479 Views)

The Body Shop: 5 Unpopular Vagina Facts / Mysterious Messages/symbol At Times Square & Brazil / Photo : The Facebook Illuminati Symbol Hidden Inside Mark Zuckerberg’s Hoodie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Unpopular ₦ Symbol by geniusbami(m): 12:43am On Feb 25, 2013
Jasmine Montgomery, of design consultancy FutureBrand, London, said (in BBC News Magazine of Tuesday, 10 March 2009) that the currency symbol could be a powerful part of the country's brand iconography, a signal of stability and the fact that it is a player on the world stage. The Nigerian currency symbol is the Naira, denoted by a capital letter N with two parallel lines running across it at the centre.

Most often, our text books, from elementary to tertiary education, use foreign symbols in examples, texts and exercises. Local text books are not left out. Most of the software we use in offices, especially accounting packages and MS Excel, readily provide other currency symbols, except the Naira. So, when you are presenting financial statements, for example, you either use the Dollar or none at all.

Recently, I felt I might be the one who is not getting to where it is on my computer, since there are a lot of symbols, most of which are unimportant to me anyway. So, I set out to 'fish out' the Naira symbol, so I can have the proper symbol in financial writings. To my surprise, there was none. But I wasn't going to stop there, I had three options:
1) Create it as a new symbol and go through the harrowing process of inserting symbol each time I need it. The character however, has the problem of not changing when you try to change the type face, or is disproportional.
2) Copy it from the created symbol and paste in a note on the desktop for easier accessibility or
3) Create the Double Strike-through special character in MS Word and keep it somewhere handy as in 2). This also have the problem of formatting the next fonts after it as Double Strike-through.
Whichever way I choose to have my preferred symbol in my work, it slows me down.

Funny enough undecided, I could use the created ₦ symbol on my smart phone, but it takes more character space than any regular character, a whooping shocked 94 character space out of 160. So, when you consider the space shortage, you are compelled to compromise what you want and simply substitute with capital N.

The question then arise, why should this powerful part of the country's brand iconography be so obscure in our daily use?
What part could computer manufacturers operating in Nigeria, phone companies making highest worldwide sales in Nigeria, digital solution providers, etc play to drive this change?

We need to be able to freely access the ₦ on every digital media, like every other symbol. It is our identity.

1 Like

Re: The Unpopular ₦ Symbol by bigt2(m): 12:50am On Feb 25, 2013
Its on microsoft office 2007. Don't know about the others though!
Re: The Unpopular ₦ Symbol by Caracta(f): 1:05am On Feb 25, 2013
@OP, i love the way you write. I can't believe i read all that cheesy

You are right. Sometimes i just forget totally about the symbol and type Naira e.g. 500 naira or NGN 500.

1 Like

Re: The Unpopular ₦ Symbol by xynerise: 1:50am On Feb 25, 2013
Type N, select it and right click. Then click format......., a dialogue box will show you an option that contains "Double strike-through". Click it and you are good to go. cool

(1) (Reply)

Going Back In Time / 10 Fascinating Facts About Farting / Fake Bitcoin Software Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.