Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,479 members, 7,770,172 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:38 AM

Why God Asked Me To Go - Pope Benedict Finally Opens Up - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why God Asked Me To Go - Pope Benedict Finally Opens Up (910 Views)

Babatee Replies Yetunde Bustline, ‘You Asked Me Out, Begged Me to Marry You' / Pope Benedict XVI Caught Drinking Beer Publicly(photo) / Ini Edo's Alleged New Lover Finally Opens Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why God Asked Me To Go - Pope Benedict Finally Opens Up by TheGister: 12:10pm On Feb 25, 2013
In an emotional goodbye to over 100,000 supporters, the Pope revealed on Sunday that he was stepping aside because God told him to do so.

In a voice raw with emotion, Pope Benedict XVI told pilgrims in St Peter’s Square that he was resigning on February 28 because God had called on him to devote himself to prayer. He said God had told him ‘to climb the mountain’.

It was observed that pilgrims filled the piazza to witness a historical moment and thank the Pope for his eight year Pontificate at the Angelus Prayer.

Despite recently looking tired and frail, he spoke in a clear, strong voice, repeatedly thanking the faithful for their closeness and affection as they interrupted him, again and again, with applause and cheers.

The Pope stressed that he was “not abandoning the church.” Instead, he said he would serve the church with the same dedication, but would do so “in a way more suitable to my age and my strength”.

He also said he would continue to serve through meditation and prayer after his historic abdication. He completed the last Angelus of his tenure by saying he would always be close to the Church.

The 85-year-old officially steps down on Thursday. He will spend his last years in seclusion in a cloistered monastery within the confines of Vatican City.
SOURCE

(1) (Reply)

Limpopo Singer Kcee Buys 2013 Range Rover And BMW X6 (photos) / Singer Donna Diva Gets 2013 Audi A6 As Birthday Gift / The Eedris Abdulkareem Interview: ‘remedies Will Be Back’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.