Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,209 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? (986 Views)

Why Should I Believe In God If There Is No Evidence For His Existence? / Popular Nigerian Pastors Who Were Born Muslims (Photos) / Do You Think Jesus Is God? If Yes Then Answer These Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 7:36am On Mar 01, 2013
I always wondered why the jews/pharisees/saducees refused to believe that Jesus was/is the Son of God. Was it because the belief that God had/has a son sounded ridiculous to them or were they just spiritually blind. They were expecting a messiah that would free them from the oppression of the Romans but instead they got someone claiming to be God's actual son. So, a thought came to my mind, what if i was born during the time of Jesus? Would i have believed His claim of being God's begotten son? it would have been hard for me to believe cos I would have asked Him a lot of questions. Questions about God and the purpose of man in such a large universe. To be honest as much as i would like to delude myself that i would have believed Him, i don't think i would have believed (maybe that's the reason i wasn't born then). So over to Christians (and every other person) would you have believed Jesus to be the Son of God if you were born in His time?
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 01, 2013
Good question.

It would be no different froma a man coming today and claiming that he is the messiah. It would be hardly believable.

Imagine a pharisee who has studied the scriptures and can quote it from A-Z is now met by a man claiming to be the son of God and a Messiah. This Messiah is an illiterate by their standard but he claims to have a superior understanding of the scriptures and starts modifying the scriptures with his preaching.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 7:51am On Mar 01, 2013
Good morning Inspired,

This really is 'food for our thoughts'. In this age of "show me where it is in sacred scriptures' it would have been very difficult for a lot of us to have accepted Jesus given that some things done by him and his apostles were not in line with the scriptures as we knew it. For a lot of us, the thinking would be: if it is not scriptural then we will not accept.

As an individual, I really do not know what I would have done. A lot of factors have come to play in making me a Christian in the first place. If those factors were present at the time Jesus walked the Earth then I will say: Yes I would have accepted him but if not I might have been one of those to scream: Crucify him!!!

We really can't be sure what we would have done then. I am just glad I accepted Christianity.

Thank you!
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 7:58am On Mar 01, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning Inspired,

This really is 'food for our thoughts'. In this age of "show me where it is in sacred scriptures' it would have been very difficult for a lot of us to have accepted Jesus given that some things done by him and his apostles were not in line with the scriptures as we knew it. For a lot of us, the thinking would be: if it is not scriptural then we will not accept.

As an individual, I really do not know what I would have done. A lot of factors have come to play in making me a Christian in the first place. If those factors were present at the time Jesus walked the Earth then I will say: Yes I would have accepted him but if not I might have been one of those to scream: Crucify him!!!

We really can't be sure what we would have done then. I am just glad I accepted Christianity.

Thank you!

Always with the empty comments. The OP asked a deep question

1) Why not state the factors that made you a christian and see whether they were there in the times of Jesus?
2) Wat do you mean that you're just glad that you accepted christianity? So you're just the lucky ones? The rest were unlucky to be skeptical hence, hell?
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by thorpido(m): 8:01am On Mar 01, 2013
The same heart of unbelief and the one to believe existed then even as it does now.
There were those who followed the books of the prophets and when they saw Jesus,heard His words and saw His works believed.Examples include the woman by the well,Jairus and his family,the Centurion and his family,the woman whose daughter had a demon,the woman with the issue of blood etc.

If u were alive then and saw these works and heard His words,will you believe?Many saw and still rejected.Two significant groups were those who said He cast out demons with the spirit of Belzeebub and those who saw the blind man beside the temple receive sight.

The question is are u alive to God?The bible says all men shall be taught of the Lord.If u are alive to God and your heart open to Him,you will believe.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 8:09am On Mar 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) Why not state the factors that made you a christian and see whether they were there in the times of Jesus?
2) Wat do you mean that you're just glad that you accepted christianity? So you're just the lucky ones? The rest were unlucky to be skeptical hence, hell?

Your opinion! Your right!!
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by delkuf(m): 8:09am On Mar 01, 2013
[quote
author=Logicboy03]

1) Why not state the factors that made you a christian and see whether
they were there in the times of Jesus?
2) Wat do you mean that you're just glad that you accepted christianity?
So you're just the lucky ones? The rest were unlucky to be skeptical
hence, hell?[/quote]Logicboy wht is ur problem? Why is ur heart so devilish? If there is any thing i desire is to see u cry to God, and ask him for forgiveness of ur sin
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 8:11am On Mar 01, 2013
striktlymi:

Your opinion! Your right!!

Empty retort
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by delkuf(m): 8:14am On Mar 01, 2013
As for quetn, i will ask u one quetn, how come u came to believe that Jesus is d son Of God now. because it doesnt make sense. As for wuld have believe more, if i was born during d time Christ was born
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 8:31am On Mar 01, 2013
delkuf: As for quetn, i will ask u one quetn, how come u came to believe that Jesus is d son Of God now. because it doesnt make sense. As for wuld have believe more, if i was born during d time Christ was born
At a very young age, I had been asking myself this very same question. During Sunday school then, i was told that Jesus is the Son of God and i believed because i was a naive young child (besides if i probed my Sunday school teachers with such questions, they would have thought of me as demon-possessed). So, i believe now because i have believed it to be true ever since i was a child (it's kind of hard to just dismiss it as false now).
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 8:35am On Mar 01, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning Inspired,

Thank you!
Have you always been a Christian? Or did something fantastic/spectacular/unbelievable happen that convinced you that Christianity is the right path to God?
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 01, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
At a very young age, I had been asking myself this very same question. During Sunday school then, i was told that Jesus is the Son of God and i believed because i was a naive young child (besides if i probed my Sunday school teachers with such questions, they would have thought of me as demon-possessed). So, i believe now because i have believed it to be true ever since i was a child (it's kind of hard to just dismiss it as false now).

You do need to discover God and Christ yourself. Accepting him just because you have been told to from your childhood does not really quite cut it. Actively seek to know him!
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 8:36am On Mar 01, 2013
Have you always been a Christian? Or did something fantastic/spectacular/unbelievable happen that convinced you that Christianity is the right path to God?

I was born and raised a pagan!
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by mbaemeka(m): 11:23am On Mar 01, 2013
I would have believed him because I believe him now.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by ijawkid(m): 1:27pm On Mar 01, 2013
If I was an avid reader of the law of moses,the psalms and also that of the prophets and also a sincere spiritual servant of Yahweh I would have believed Jesus was the sent messiah if I existed back then..................
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Mar 01, 2013
ijawkid: If I was an avid reader of the law of moses,the psalms and also that of the prophets and also a sincere spiritual servant of Yahweh I would have believed Jesus was the sent messiah if I existed back then..................

Lies. And the Pharisees didnt read the scriptures abi? Remember that their scriptures were no adulterated like the ones you have now.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by MrAnony2: 6:41pm On Mar 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

Lies. And the Pharisees didnt read the scriptures abi? Remember that their scriptures were no adulterated like the ones you have now.

Actually, there were pharisees who believed in Jesus Christ.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by greatgenius: 7:04pm On Mar 01, 2013
well i would have. why?.. because everyone is a SON AND DAUGHTER OF GOD
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by ijawkid(m): 7:16pm On Mar 01, 2013
Logicboy03:

The pharisees did read the scriptures but Some were not attentive..........they were proud and belligerent and so could not discern that the messiah was In there midst...

.... some knew that the man Jesus was infact the promised messiah but there wicked hearts could Not let them publicly agree to that fact...........

1 Like

Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by honeychild(f): 7:27pm On Mar 01, 2013
The Pharisees did not believe Jesus was the Messiah because he did not live up to their expectations. They expected a glorious warrior king and instead got a humble carpenter. Also he called them out on many occasions because they had deviated from the scriptures given to the Israelites and had built up an entire system of traditions which had no root in scripture. As for the rest of the Jews, they were simply content to follow the crowd and obey their leaders. (sounds like Christianity today is in exactly the same position as the Jews of Jesus day......the churches have built up their traditions and the sheep are following sheepishly..... grin)

Those who studied the available scriptures recognized the Christ when he came the first time.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 01, 2013
@inspired: hello and how are you? ;-)

You keep reminding me of someone...
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:22am On Mar 02, 2013
musKeeto: @inspired: hello and how are you? ;-)

You keep reminding me of someone...
who exactly do i remind you of?
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by MrAnony2: 12:56pm On Mar 04, 2013
who exactly do i remind you of?
Dude, what happened to that our conversation? My door is still open should you want to have it. send me a text when you are ready and I'll give you a call.
Re: Would You Have Believed Jesus To Be The Son Of God If You Were Born In His Time? by inspiredbyGOD(m): 1:18pm On Mar 04, 2013
Mr_Anony2:
Dude, what happened to that our conversation? My door is still open should you want to have it. send me a text when you are ready and I'll give you a call.
Sent you a text.

(1) (Reply)

Worst Religious Groups / Pastor Ask Members To Donate Money To Fix His Helicopter & Win A Car From God / Catholic Priest Beheaded By Jihadist In Syria *sad*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.