Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,292 members, 7,818,988 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:34 AM

Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out (18035 Views)

Are You Stressed Out After The Days Activities? / Are You Always Tired And Stressed Out? / Are You Stressed Out After A Hard Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by shadrach77: 4:17pm On Mar 02, 2013
Six Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out
Did your holiday baking binge cause your hair to start falling out? It could’ve if you had a particularly hectic month preparing for winter festivities. Baking, shopping, wrapping, balancing bank accounts — these things can really stress us out. Take a few moments to check in with your body to make sure you’re not sacrificing your health and mental well-being at the expense of a picture-perfect holiday. Physical symptoms of stress, such as dry heaving, can manifest themselves in weird ways when the affairs of life get too overwhelming. And sometimes, you may not even realize that stress is the cause.

1. Vomiting. In his recent book, “On the Brink” (Business Plus, 2010), former Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson admits to getting so stressed out during the height of the 2008 financial meltdown that he would start to dry heave, sometimes in private and other times in front of Congressmen and staffers. He’s not alone. Dry-heaving (or retching, in medical terminology) is one way that stress can rear its ugly head, more often as a sign of anxiety. Stress and anxiety can also trigger vomiting and a condition called “cyclic vomiting syndrome,” a condition in which people experience nausea and vomiting over an extended period of time — often, starting at the same time every day. Dealing with anxiety-induced dry heaves or vomiting starts with getting plenty of rest and drinking water (vomiting can cause a loss of electrolytes), and then finding ways to calm down or eliminate the source of your stress, such as practicing walking meditation.

2. Hair loss. There are multiple reasons that your hair could be falling out, from genetics to medications. But stress is one of them. Among the conditions associated with stress-induced hair loss is alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder in which white blood cells attack hair follicles, causing hair to fall out. Another condition triggered by stress that has even more extreme results is called telogen effluvium, which is basically characterized by a sudden loss (up to 70 percent) of hair. This condition can be difficult to link to stress because the hair loss can occur months after a stressful event, for instance, a death in the family or childbirth, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. However, the organization notes, it’s usually a problem that corrects itself once the stressful event is over.

3. Nosebleeds. There is some debate as to whether nosebleeds are triggered by stress, but studies have shown that, in some cases, patients who experience nosebleeds get them after finding themselves in stressful situations. A 2001 article in the British Medical Journal suggests that this could have something to do with the spikes in blood pressure that are very common when you’re stressed out. Keep your blood pressure in check by drinking hibiscus tea. Simply escaping the daily hubbub for a while to brew it could be enough to lower your stress levels a bit.

4. Memory loss. If you notice you can’t seem to remember the details you just discussed during a stressful meeting, it could be an effect of your shrunken hippocampus, says Jeffrey Rossman, PhD, psychologist and director of life management at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, Mass., and Rodale.com advisor. Chronic stress can expose the hippocampus, the area of the brain that controls your short-term memory, to excessive levels of the stress hormone cortisol. And that can inhibit your brain’s ability to remember things. Dealing with the root cause of your stress is the best way to get your memory back, but until that happens, write down important bits of information and find other ways to supercharge your memory.

5. Weakened immunity. Perhaps the most noticeable effect that stress has on your body is a weakened immune system, and that happens for a couple of reasons. First, stress triggers the release of catecholemines, hormones that help regulate your immune system; prolonged release of these hormones can interfere with their ability to do that. Second, says Rossman, stress shrinks your thymus gland, the gland that produces your infection-fighting white blood cells, and it damages telomeres, which are genes that help those immune cells reproduce. A good way to deal with stress and boost your immune system is to exercise; if you’re so stressed out that you can’t fit in those 30 minutes a day, try these other tricks for boosting immunity.

6. Excessive sweating. Everyone knows that you sweat more when you’re stressed out, but some people suffer from hyperhidrosis, excessive sweating, particularly of the palms and feet, says Rossman. Yoga and meditation can help reduce stress-related sweating, and if you think you might be suffering from hyperhidrosis, find a physicianwho specializes in the disorder. You may be helping more than just yourself. A study published last fall in the journal PLoS One found that stress sweat can give off certain signals that people around you can detect, possibly causing them to be stressed out as well, as a result.

culled from www.mnn.com

2 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by dopeJemi: 6:36pm On Mar 02, 2013

excessive sweating z d onLy sign I can agree wiv here.. As 4 d rest signs.. Hmmm! I'lL advice anybody dat av Had d rest symptoms 2 go and check his/her vilLage ASAP

2 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Nobody: 6:36pm On Mar 02, 2013
abeg give us the naija version

25 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by kisibo: 6:36pm On Mar 02, 2013
k
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by hamsky: 6:37pm On Mar 02, 2013
I know I'm stressed out but i don't exhibit any of these
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by YorubaOmoge: 6:37pm On Mar 02, 2013
Can't say I'm stressed out.

Of all the the signs, I've had issues with memory loss. My memory is very selective. Can't say it's due to stress cuz I've always been like that.

I'm quite aiight right now, but I feel the stressful days drawing nearer.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Goldenheart(m): 6:38pm On Mar 02, 2013
okay
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Lyzbet: 6:39pm On Mar 02, 2013
I think these symptoms stated are for worse illness other than being stressed out.
When I'am stessed out, I dont even have the energy to eat, i just sleep off.zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Goldenheart(m): 6:41pm On Mar 02, 2013
shadrach77: Six Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out
Did your holiday baking binge cause your hair to start falling out? It could’ve if you had a particularly hectic month preparing for winter festivities. Baking, shopping, wrapping, balancing bank accounts — these things can really stress us out. Take a few moments to check in with your body to make sure you’re not sacrificing your health and mental well-being at the expense of a picture-perfect holiday. Physical symptoms of stress, such as dry heaving, can manifest themselves in weird ways when the affairs of life get too overwhelming. And sometimes, you may not even realize that stress is the cause.

1. Vomiting. In his recent book, “On the Brink” (Business Plus, 2010), former Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson admits to getting so stressed out during the height of the 2008 financial meltdown that he would start to dry heave, sometimes in private and other times in front of Congressmen and staffers. He’s not alone. Dry-heaving (or retching, in medical terminology) is one way that stress can rear its ugly head, more often as a sign of anxiety. Stress and anxiety can also trigger vomiting and a condition called “cyclic vomiting syndrome,” a condition in which people experience nausea and vomiting over an extended period of time — often, starting at the same time every day. Dealing with anxiety-induced dry heaves or vomiting starts with getting plenty of rest and drinking water (vomiting can cause a loss of electrolytes), and then finding ways to calm down or eliminate the source of your stress, such as practicing walking meditation.

2. Hair loss. There are multiple reasons that your hair could be falling out, from genetics to medications. But stress is one of them. Among the conditions associated with stress-induced hair loss is alopecia areata, an autoimmune disorder in which white blood cells attack hair follicles, causing hair to fall out. Another condition triggered by stress that has even more extreme results is called telogen effluvium, which is basically characterized by a sudden loss (up to 70 percent) of hair. This condition can be difficult to link to stress because the hair loss can occur months after a stressful event, for instance, a death in the family or childbirth, according to the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. However, the organization notes, it’s usually a problem that corrects itself once the stressful event is over.

3. Nosebleeds. There is some debate as to whether nosebleeds are triggered by stress, but studies have shown that, in some cases, patients who experience nosebleeds get them after finding themselves in stressful situations. A 2001 article in the British Medical Journal suggests that this could have something to do with the spikes in blood pressure that are very common when you’re stressed out. Keep your blood pressure in check by drinking hibiscus tea. Simply escaping the daily hubbub for a while to brew it could be enough to lower your stress levels a bit.

4. Memory loss. If you notice you can’t seem to remember the details you just discussed during a stressful meeting, it could be an effect of your shrunken hippocampus, says Jeffrey Rossman, PhD, psychologist and director of life management at Canyon Ranch in Lenox, Mass., and Rodale.com advisor. Chronic stress can expose the hippocampus, the area of the brain that controls your short-term memory, to excessive levels of the stress hormone cortisol. And that can inhibit your brain’s ability to remember things. Dealing with the root cause of your stress is the best way to get your memory back, but until that happens, write down important bits of information and find other ways to supercharge your memory.

5. Weakened immunity. Perhaps the most noticeable effect that stress has on your body is a weakened immune system, and that happens for a couple of reasons. First, stress triggers the release of catecholemines, hormones that help regulate your immune system; prolonged release of these hormones can interfere with their ability to do that. Second, says Rossman, stress shrinks your thymus gland, the gland that produces your infection-fighting white blood cells, and it damages telomeres, which are genes that help those immune cells reproduce. A good way to deal with stress and boost your immune system is to exercise; if you’re so stressed out that you can’t fit in those 30 minutes a day, try these other tricks for boosting immunity.

6. Excessive sweating. Everyone knows that you sweat more when you’re stressed out, but some people suffer from hyperhidrosis, excessive sweating, particularly of the palms and feet, says Rossman. Yoga and meditation can help reduce stress-related sweating, and if you think you might be suffering from hyperhidrosis, find a physicianwho specializes in the disorder. You may be helping more than just yourself. A study published last fall in the journal PLoS One found that stress sweat can give off certain signals that people around you can detect, possibly causing them to be stressed out as well, as a result.

culled from www.mnn.com

okay

1 Like

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by tejpot(m): 6:41pm On Mar 02, 2013
Then what will sleeping show?
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Nobody: 6:44pm On Mar 02, 2013
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by vislabraye(m): 6:46pm On Mar 02, 2013
Stress and depression go hand in hand.
Not experienced the mentioned xteristics, but I feel stress and depression also share similar symptoms.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by martyns303(m): 6:46pm On Mar 02, 2013
temporal insomnia
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by TUMIC(m): 6:47pm On Mar 02, 2013
THE REAL SIGN
1. Vomiting
Go for pregnancy test
2. Hair Loss
Go for HIV test
3.Nose bleed
Go for spiritual check up
I sense witch craft
4. Memory loss
Yea please go to Aro- (psycho check up)
5. Weaken immunity
Go and price the coffin down and text the Grave diggers
6. Excessive sweating
Mogbe!!! You are dead.
Please write you will.

7 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 02, 2013
DIS IS ONE OF DEM

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by DMainMan: 6:59pm On Mar 02, 2013
If ordinary Realmadrid dat Arsenal wipe easily can win Barca den it is certain we wil flog bayern. I stil repeat and say this: 2013 champions league winner is Arsenal

1 Like

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by vanstanzy(m): 7:05pm On Mar 02, 2013
When u re 1) having a headache,2) short on temper then u re stressed.

2 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by onila(f): 7:11pm On Mar 02, 2013
TUMIC: THE REAL SIGN
1. Vomiting
Go for pregnancy test
2. Hair Loss
Go for HIV test
3.Nose bleed
I sense witch craft
4. Memory loss
5. Weaken immunity
6. Excessive sweating
Mogbe!!! You are dead.
Please write you will.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by midetinz(m): 7:15pm On Mar 02, 2013
DMainMan: If ordinary Realmadrid dat Arsenal wipe easily can win Barca den it is certain we wil flog bayern. I stil repeat and say this: 2013 champions league winner is Arsenal

U ARE SERIOUSLY STRESSED OUT!!!

16 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by timbros(m): 7:16pm On Mar 02, 2013
Goldenheart:

okay

See your life....

Whats your gain quoting ALL the post just to type 'okay'...?

2 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by vanstanzy(m): 7:17pm On Mar 02, 2013
@op, thanks for the 411.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by onila(f): 7:25pm On Mar 02, 2013

i lose my hair too because of stress
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Nobody: 7:26pm On Mar 02, 2013
timbros:

See your life....

Whats your gain quoting ALL the post just to type 'okay'...?

That's the attention they seek by making meaningless posts- the best thing to do for such people's to ignore!
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Lakayana: 7:32pm On Mar 02, 2013
tejpot: Then what will sleeping show?
Stress in oyinbo fatigued.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Lakayana: 7:36pm On Mar 02, 2013
TUMIC: THE REAL SIGN
1. Vomiting
Go for pregnancy test
2. Hair Loss
Go for HIV test
3.Nose bleed
I sense witch craft
4. Memory loss
5. Weaken immunity
6. Excessive sweating
Mogbe!!! You are dead.
Please write you will.
very funny but how can you write your will after you are dead.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Arsenate(m): 7:36pm On Mar 02, 2013
INSONMIA is another very good indicator of stress
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Clemzy16(m): 7:39pm On Mar 02, 2013
Now after reading this post i'm so stressed out.
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by aieromon(m): 7:40pm On Mar 02, 2013
DMainMan: If ordinary Realmadrid dat Arsenal wipe easily can win Barca den it is certain we wil flog bayern. I stil repeat and say this: 2013 champions league winner is Arsenal

This is an example of somebody who is EXTREMELY stressed out.

2 Likes

Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by Nobody: 7:44pm On Mar 02, 2013
Everybody commenting since are stressed out.....#fact!
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by timbros(m): 7:49pm On Mar 02, 2013
tocineworld:

That's the attention they seek by making meaningless posts- the best thing to do for such people's to ignore!

So irritating!
Re: Signs That You Are Seriously Stressed Out by mansmith(m): 7:49pm On Mar 02, 2013
the most important is lack of cash
onila: grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Do Doctors Go To When They Fall Sick? / Toilet Infections / ‘If COVID-19 Meets Oil Pollution, We Are Finished’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.