Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,634 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Love And Tolerance: Meanings... - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Love And Tolerance: Meanings... (585 Views)

Names Of God And Their Meanings / Dreams And Their Meanings/ Interpretation / Top 10 Common Dreams And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Love And Tolerance: Meanings... by okeyxyz(m): 9:59am On Mar 03, 2013
The word "LOVE" is so common that everybody "understands" it. Even a three year old child knows how to say "mummy I love you.." and we still get the same meaning as in when a 35 year old adult says the same words. This is how the world has evolved to define love and it's fine by me. But let every person who considers himself to be spiritual know that this definition of love is very misleading(I speak as a christian). Love has nothing to do with tolerance, which is allowing ideas and practices that are contrary to your truth. Love has nothing to do with embracing beliefs and practices that are opposite to your doctrines, such as celebrating homosexual marriages in churches like is done in some European countries, and declaring such practices as a spreading of the love-of-God irrespective of sexual practices.

Love is a discipline. It is a choosing between two opposing matters. It is a resistance of "A" and preference for "B" so that you get more "A" and lose more "B". Love CANNOT be an embracing of both "A" and "B" if both are contrary to each other. Yes! this is the love of God, to do otherwise is anti-christ and an abomination.
The bible is full of principles that demonstrate god's love and it looks nothing like the love of the world(secular). It is hard, but very profitable:

"Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit.(John 15:2 )

FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES, AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES."(Hebrews 12:6 )

"If your right eye
(if what seems right to you) makes you stumble, tear it out and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell(Matthew 5:29 )

Tolerance is a secular concept and should be kept that way: SECULAR!!. That is where it works fine and perfect. A man who considers himself "spiritual" cannot be tolerant of values and practices in his own personal-life that causes him to lose his "spiritual integrity". Your spiritual values are a discipline for you to impose upon yourself and people who choose to practice these beliefs with you.

So are you a christian? the next time you say god is a loving god; what exactly do you mean? Do you project your human, secular values and definition of love unto this god and expect him to conform? I promise you; It'll be a disaster.

Now, Don't get me wrong; I don't want to criminalize homos.exuality and throw people into jail for being gay; No! god forbid; rather I want to separate spiritual matters from state matters. As a christian, you are mandated to practice both but know that both systems are mutually exclusive. You must not carry secular mandates into christianity, likewise, you must not carry christian mandates into secular spheres to enforce on non-christians/non-believers.
I am not saying that you should not vote according to your christian conscience; If that is what you want to do, then by all means you are entitled to to so. Secularity is supposed to protect your freedom to practice your religion/spirituality as well as freedom to be free from other peoples religion/beliefs. You have absolute right to choose and vote how you want your society to be governed, and whatever the outcome, you must also appreciate the right of people on the losing side to be free from your state impositions, at least in their privacy.

So after all these rants; my purpose is to differntiate between love and tolerance. The one is spiritual and the other is secular. Cheers...
Re: Love And Tolerance: Meanings... by Princiology(m): 5:46pm On Jun 14, 2019
For the definition of Love, even from a Christian perspective, see this post on PRINCIOLOGY.COM -
Definition of Love: Impersonal, Interpersonal, & Christian understanding

(1) (Reply)

Watch Free Evangelical Stage Drama Online!! / The Blood Of The New Covenant / The Passion Of Christ(the Movie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.