Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,808 members, 7,827,975 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? (2851 Views)

The Worst Website Of 2011? / Is Luzoma.com Really The Worst Website On Nairaland / Worst Website You've Ever Seen! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 5:09am On Mar 22, 2008
This is absolutely pathetic, probably the worst implementation I have seen. how can a site like this make it into guardian newspaper.

website = http://www.setlin.com/
admin = http://setlin.com/admin/ (pretty much broken links)

the entire site is full of broken links and yet it made it to guardian, news link below. I wonder who would want to do business with a company/people like this. (copyright 2005) eh eh

Click on the forum icon on setlin.com and look at the dates for the messages posted or link directly to their forum page here http://www.setlinservices.com/. These guys are time travelers.

sample
Musicians Are Prophet, how true? 2029-11-07

Look at the number of people logged in to the forum as at my viewing,

Forums (-1297) Users Logged in

-1297 people logged in.

at the bottom of the page, you can see the link to admin log in, click on it and you are asked to log in or link directly

admin login
http://www.setlinservices.com/admin/adminlogin.php

well, of course we can keep guessing the user name and password. but why would you want to stress when you can see the admin content using this link just by removing the adminlogin.php. enjoy

admin page
http://www.setlinservices.com/admin/

click on viewallusers.php to see user list, then click on update to get the usernames and passwords eh eh eh stupid people.

looking at the passwords for a couple of the people registered, they all start with SET, this definitely tells me they injected the registered information. or had a script to randomly pick usernames and generate passwords to fill their database.

I tried updating a password, it showed me a confirmation message as updated but the record was not updated i guess there is a restriction somewhere

Definitely there are many things wrong with the site, just stopped checking.

guardian news link, also emailed this stuff to them and a word doc containing screenshots
[url]http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/compulife/article13//indexn3_html?pdate=190308&ptitle=New%20Internet%20market%20research%20tool%20debuts&cpdate=220308[/url]

May post screenshots later if there are broken links

Setlin.com

Domain Name: SETLIN.COM

Registrant:
Delsoft Limited
55, Coker Road
Ilupeju, Lagos
NG
Phone: 234-1-4931480
Fax: 234-1-4931481

Record expires on 14-Nov-2009
Record created on 14-Nov-2001
Database last updated on 16-Sep-2007

networksolutions of all hosting companies, HORRIBLE
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by smartsoft(m): 8:26am On Mar 22, 2008
Infact it is a worst website indeed. i was even updating informations, how u take get the website na ?
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by smartsoft(m): 8:52am On Mar 22, 2008
Even Guardian website aren't it worst huh ? so worst + worst is equal to what ?
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by my2cents(m): 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2008
LOL,

Cactus, this is terrible but I have seen worse but the site doesn't come to mind. I will post it once I find it.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by webguru(m): 7:51pm On Mar 22, 2008
guardian is even worse off embarassed
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Afam(m): 11:39pm On Mar 22, 2008
Well, at least I don see one website wey my own better pass as in design according to una grin grin.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 12:06am On Mar 23, 2008
@afam, good call lol

I definitely know that guardian will never reply my email as to why they published even though it might be paid for. But in case they do reply, will post their response and of course i know that they may be reading this post also eh eh eh.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Afam(m): 12:15am On Mar 23, 2008
Cactus:

@afam, good call lol

I definitely know that guardian will never reply my email as to why they published even though it might be paid for. But in case they do reply, will post their response and of course i know that they may be reading this post also eh eh eh.

Fortunately or unfortunately the person that pays for any service calls the shots whether you like it or not as long as you are not doing anything illegal.

Have you ever wondered why well known looters in Nigeria get the best lawyers in the land to defend them even when these same lawyers ordinarily would not want to have anything to do with them.

I have dealt with clients who insist on doing things the way they want regardless of any advice you may offer and at the end of the day I collect my money and do what they want the way they want it.

So, Guardian would not just say no to the client unless you will gladly pay Guardian for not allowing the client display his/her site.

Enjoy!
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by my2cents(m): 7:32am On Mar 23, 2008
okay, I remember it now. Make una go to: http://www.nigerianfilms.com/

If you fit do anything (clicking, ordering, paying, viewing articles, etc) on this site, make I naked baff for bafroom! cool
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 5:19pm On Mar 23, 2008
whao, i wish i could easily turn a picture to a website. they only placed a picture. I hope they never intended to automagically make the picture work and make sales?

http://www.nigerianfilms.com/images/index.jpg

looking at the designed by site, wserve's site and their portfolio, they do decent jobs. If the nigerianfilms and wserve are still working together, possibly not yet finished, or disagreement about something so wserve decided to pull their work or something crazy must have happened
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by smartsoft(m): 8:56pm On Mar 23, 2008
you can't compare that of nigeriafilm with that sucking website up there, please

@afam, chei, you dey make me laugh ooooo i dey roll for grand i swear to you !
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Afam(m): 12:31am On Mar 24, 2008
smartsoft:

@afam, chei, you dey make me laugh ooooo i dey roll for grand i swear to you !

Wetin I for talk as it seems quite a number of web developers are more interested in how I develop websites than how they develop theirs or what my clients are comfortable with.

At the end of the day it is about the clients anyway, not about peers.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 24, 2008
thats a point, some clients wont let you breath until you animate everything on their website
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by my2cents(m): 2:07pm On Mar 24, 2008
webdezzi,

I guess either I am lucky and/or I am yet to meet such clients cos whenever I am approached the the request to make a site "interactive", the first thing I do is ask what they mean. Many atimes, from my experience, I have discovered that such clients say "interactive" because it is what they read somewhere or have seen on another site.

At the end of the day, 95% of the time, I convince them that an animation isn't the way to go or worse case, 1 simple animation is better than one that appears to have been coded with an infinite loop. If th ey insist, I simply explain to them that more time will be involved and it will cost extra (especially, if I don't know how to do what they want and have to source from an outsider). Again, 9 times out of 10, they retreat on the animation request. If it means losing such a client (and it has happened a few times), so be it. There are many fish in the "I need a website" sea.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 4:49pm On Mar 24, 2008
you cant satisfy everyone. anything that involves building flash = automatic no regardless of how much money I may receive. Though I can charge more for the work and do the job properly, I would not want to break my head. Getting a static/dynamic website done is easy to change update etc. Getting through 75% of the work in flash and client requesting for things to be changed, I cant handle that.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by damolat: 5:40pm On Mar 24, 2008
clients can be a pain at times, one needs to be able to strike a balance between satisfying them and making a decent turnaround on ones jobs.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by my2cents(m): 6:40pm On Mar 24, 2008
One way that has worked for me is to charge higher. From experience, those who I charged the cheapest are the hardest to deal with of them all. They are the ones always fussing over pixels, crossing Ts and dotting Is, as well as sending me myriads of content to continuously upload to their site, lol.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 8:20am On Mar 25, 2008
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by smartsoft(m): 9:00am On Mar 25, 2008
omo you they research well ooo, seee all this people pay N20,000 and they teach them how to use Frontpage 2000 lol, very sucking website, and they just want to do the best website ever, but they don't know how to go about it, for them to pay a good fee to someone else, they rather do it themselves.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Afam(m): 9:04am On Mar 25, 2008
At this rate I can not feel comfortable that my websites are not at the bottom of the ladder. At least 4th to the last is a good position for now and still counting.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by abhosts(m): 10:33am On Mar 25, 2008
@ Cactus,

Since you started this thread that is bashing website designs and Ranking them the worst in Nigeria, you have succeeded in drawing attention to yourself.

Now, out of curiosity, may I request on behalf of all webmasters here that you submit your website portfolio for review?

Thanks.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 10:59am On Mar 25, 2008
@abhosts

Any one that starts a thread = attention seeker?
Pointing out flaws = Bashing?

Will I give you my portfolio to look at, that is if I have one? Logic says I should have one.
Answer = NO

Why, no? That has always being my response in previous thread requests ending up in arguments. And I guess you may assume some sort of incompetence? Well, thoughts cannot be held captive. This time around, I will try as much as possible not to go negative. If you like bash me all you want. For once, I shall try to refrain from picking up any arguments.

FYI, a couple of people in here know my identity so I wont be surprised if someone else provides a link or any information you seek.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by my2cents(m): 11:24am On Mar 25, 2008
abhosts, with all due respect:

Pointing out bad websites isn't anything bad. For one, Cactus could have been wrong, in which case it would be our job to prove him wrong. I don't eat amala but that doesn't mean that I can't judge b/w 2 (or more) separate plates at a competition, based on what I see. I don't have to taste the amala to say I like it (or not).

If you read the post again (which I just have, just in case I missed something), he is bashing with a cause by stating what is wrong - broken links, outdated posts, etc. The way I (and perhaps others) see it, especially if others agree, is "this is what people don't expect from a website. Next time I do a similar site, I will make sure mine isn't like this".

Cactus doesn't have to submit a portfolio to prove his worth. I didn't have a site for at least a year but was still posting reviews and pointing out the errors in others ways. Do you know if, like me, he works for a web dev shop that develops sites for clients which means that though he doesn't have sites he has created for himself, he has worked on sites at a larger, corporate level?

So, I am wondering, if you say so about cactus, what will you say about this site? tongue

http://unionnewsng.com/index.aspx -

1) The color combo sucks for a newspaper
2) The last time the site was updated (based on date on top left) was June 2006
3) The categories don't reflect that of other news sites out there
4) They are not abiding by their mission statement (whose layout is inconsistent with the rest of the site, by the way): http://unionnewsng.com/theStory.aspx

Do I need to present my "credentials" to justify my observations above? In other words, if I were say, a mechanic who just wanted to get the daily news before heading out to work, must I present a portfolio of cars I have worked on to justify saying the site sucks?

Conclusion:
I don't think there is anything wrong with pointing out things wrong with a site, especially, if you state what those issues are. In the end, we take note and are the better for it.

As always, my 2 cents.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by abhosts(m): 4:22pm On Mar 25, 2008
@ My2cents,

There is a difference between constructive criticism (which this place should be about) and public ridicule.
IMHO, since these knocks are unsolicited, they are completely unjustifiable and iniquitous.

I remember your not-so-pleasant reeaction to taunts you got from this post you made a while ago:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-57724.0.html

Please let us be fair to others.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 4:36pm On Mar 25, 2008
I could submit a link to a portfolio claim it is mine, how would you verify? I can look for a decent one with whois information set to private. Or I can use a friend's portfolio and claim it is mine. And in case you decide to send the person an email, since he/she is my friend I can tell the person to work with me.

Technically, I do not see how you will verify my portfolio. Well, you can contact clients also, but sometimes projects get passed down several people clients may not know who actually is doing the work

That was what i was dreaming about sleeping.

At some point in time, we all get picked on, so it should be expected.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by my2cents(m): 4:50pm On Mar 25, 2008
abhosts:
I guess I won't be running for President soon given your ability to dig up dirt from the past tongue

Yes, there is a difference b/w constructive criticism (CC) and public ridicule (PR).

Let us look at this post for example:

1) The poster points out a site that in his opinion is bad
2) He backs it up with what is wrong with the site
3) Most importantly, he provides a solution to the problems

I believe I do same with the Union news site and the other one I posted.

Compare and contrast to the SEO link above. With your permission I would like to help you with this:

1) I say something
2) Others say I am wrong
3) I investigate
4) I acknowledge
5) Igwe comes with personal attack (I wouldn't call it PR as quite frankly, no one knows me and probably will never know me. For all we know, I could be some sort of ghost cool)
6) I attack back

So yes, there is a difference. BIG difference b/w CC and PR. In this case here, if I were the owner of those sites, I see where I could learn from what is being said. In the SEO case, all I see is hate after the first 4 or so posts.
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by Cactus(m): 4:48am On Mar 26, 2008
These are not my words

http://lifehacker.com/372156/reasons-to-trash-or-rewrite-your-resume

A comment on an article regarding resumes

Quote by the_Sleepwalker at 07:53 PM from lifehacker.com
"See I'm a Flash Developer with very large corporate clients. I can't show people what I have done b/c of Breach of Contract under a confindentialty/intellectual property clause. And my resume is so stacked, it looks like I am overqualified! Oh geez. I guess I just have to build a sick website of my own and show it off, but who has time for that outside of work?! "

well i guess that sums things up. Also, one does not need to work in big companies to have confidentiality agreement. It could be written as part of a contract agreement between the parties involved.

Why, because of potential useful information to competitors, trade secrets. Competitors can hire same developers/designers/architects, etc to perform the same functions in hope of the hired person providing useful information to have an edge
Re: Worst Website In Nigeria, Found? by origina9ja(f): 5:28pm On Jul 01, 2008
nawaooo
even me way ma ict skillz kno good i still sabi pass those
dat nigeria film thing is the worse
all the pic on that website doesnt even link
my mum alwayz say "common sense aint common"
so they cant use hyperlink
@post i beg teach them even tho they will not pay you

(1) (Reply)

Wack Web Designer's Websites You've Ever Seen? / The Poor State Of Nigerian Bank Websites / Create From Scratch E-commerce Website Like Jumia,make Money Building For Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.