Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,507 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. (20614 Views)

When Doctor Asks You "Are You Sexually Active?" In Front Of Your Mum / Medical Doctor Relocating To Nigeria Needs Advice / Doctor, Nurse, Pharmacist, Or Medical Lab. Scientist. . . Which? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by caukerzee(m): 2:59pm On Mar 09, 2013
The Pharmacist: As a pharmacy student, i would
state the pros of being a pharmacist. Pharmacy as a profession is very broad as compared to medcine. First of all, pharmacy is not all limited to clinical and hospital settings as most people think (even though most of us end up there. If you are leaning towards a patient oriented career, then the hospital pharmacy would suit you best. Hospital pharmacy also has sub specialties like onbology, long-term care, pediatric geriatrics, cardiology, ouclar pharmacy and hospital adminstration. However if you are leaning towards busines, community pharm would fufil you. Pharmacist are way better at DRs in giving the correct drug-drug interaction. It only takes you 6 years to finish and can earn a decent salary. It has less stess and working hours ard much more convinient. The Medical Doctor: High salary, you would be regarded highly by the comunitiy. Youd become a peoples person, youd face patients grateful for solving their problems. Greater room for research and personal development.........,..
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by JoannaSedley(f): 12:46pm On Mar 10, 2013
Bro, is this a debate?

2 Likes

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by caukerzee(m): 8:02pm On Mar 10, 2013
Yeah...kinda.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by slavia(m): 7:03am On Mar 14, 2013
Mitscheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwww!
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by andyjell01(m): 2:37pm On Mar 22, 2013
Pharmacy students dis character of comparing ursef wit medical students is too much
Even in my school all u guyz do is 2 engage us in useless debate on who is better.
If u appreciate ursef,then u don't need 2 fight for superioty
Leave dat issue and face wat you've set out 2 b.

7 Likes

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by caukerzee(m): 1:59pm On Mar 23, 2013
andyjell01: Pharmacy students dis character of comparing ursef wit medical students is too much
Even in my school all u guyz do is 2 engage us in useless debate on who is better.
If u appreciate ursef,then u don't need 2 fight for superioty
Leave dat issue and face wat you've set out 2 b.
We dont fight each other. The comparism just comes naturally. A medical doctor can suceed so can a pharmacist. A medical doctor can fail so can a pharmacist. The comparisms helps us appericiate our careers the more and thats that.

1 Like

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by agabaI23(m): 10:23pm On Mar 25, 2013
Not necessary unless You wanted to study medicine and couldnt get through and You are trying to make urself happy. If You chose pharmacy for.the.love of.it, no need to compete.

NB: the society has elevated the medical Dr

1 Like

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by caukerzee(m): 7:46pm On Mar 29, 2013
agabaI23: Not necessary unless You wanted to study medicine and couldnt get through and You are trying to make urself happy. If You chose pharmacy for.the.love of.it, no need to compete.

NB: the society has elevated the medical Dr
Haha....i've never dreamt of being a medical doctor. In my school, if you apply for medcine and do not get it, you have no admission atall. If you cant get medcine, you cant get pharmacy either. We debate over here for the fun of it. Just said i thought bring it to NL also.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by agabaI23(m): 5:49am On Mar 30, 2013
caukerzee: Haha....i've never dreamt of being a medical doctor. In my school, if you apply for medcine and do not get it, you have no admission atall. If you cant get medcine, you cant get pharmacy either. We debate over here for the fun of it. Just said i thought bring it to NL also.
Which school?
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by caukerzee(m): 11:23am On Mar 30, 2013
agabaI23: Which school?
UI
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Princeadebayo1(m): 5:50pm On Apr 01, 2013
Hmm...both are good.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by plus7(m): 8:01am On Apr 03, 2013
Guys....be yourself, be the best!

Let people see you as authority in whatever
career you have chosen, then you earn their
respect not thru 'talkz' like this.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2013
I always feel like injecting Choroform into some course mates system whenever they start this stupid comparism.
If you want Medicine, go for it and stop disturbing us in pharmacy.
Pharmacy isnt a substitute rather, Nursing, Dentistry and Physiotheraphy/Medical Rehabilitation are perfect susbtitutes for medcine! Annoying!
Op, I get you tho, just generalizing.

1 Like

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Samgreguc(m): 11:57pm On Dec 17, 2013
I love being a pharmacist and thats all. I love drugs, drugs and drugs(an entity upon which our health rely humanly)

2 Likes

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by agabaI23(m): 12:02am On Dec 18, 2013
Samgreguc: I love being a pharmacist and thats all. I love drugs, drugs and drugs(an entity upon which our health rely humanly)
This thread is Not necessary!!!
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Samgreguc(m): 12:26am On Dec 19, 2013
agabaI23: This thread is Not necessary!!!
which thread?
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by agabaI23(m): 5:55am On Dec 19, 2013
Samgreguc:
which thread?
This very thread
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Samgreguc(m): 8:25am On Dec 19, 2013
agabaI23: This very thread
he was only trying to point out demerits and merits of d two courses owing to the fact that the both profession are good.

BTW, u quoted me and wrote that and am not the Op.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by agabaI23(m): 9:20am On Dec 19, 2013
Samgreguc:
he was only trying to point out demerits and merits of d two courses owing to the fact that the both profession are good.

BTW, u quoted me and wrote that and am not the Op.
I quoted you because of your comment!
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Samgreguc(m): 9:32am On Dec 19, 2013
agabaI23: I quoted you because of your comment!
ha! Wetin do d comment na?
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Drdonzeez(m): 9:33am On Jan 02, 2016
I always feel like injecting Choroform into some course mates system whenever they start this stupid comparism.
Pharmacy isnt a substitute rather, Nursing, Dentistry and Physiotheraphy/Medical Rehabilitation are perfect susbtitutes for medcine! Annoying!
The fact you're so passionate about profession doesn't mean you should drag others profession to the mud with your flippant comments.you fail to realise that those in these professions are more enlightened than you're. The way you chose to love your profession (pharmacy)is the same way others value theirs.

1 Like

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Drdonzeez(m): 9:34am On Jan 02, 2016
The fact you're so passionate about your profession doesn't mean you should drag others profession to the mud with your flippant comments.you fail to realise that those in these professions are more enlightened than you're. The way you chose to love your profession (pharmacy)is the same way others chose to value theirs.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Oogway: 9:51pm On Feb 06, 2017
This should do justice to the the topic. Straight out of Google and Wikipedia. Sometimes I wonder why Pharmacist never keep comparing themselves to doctors it's more like part of their training. Lolz. Pharmacy is a noble profession but they should know their boundaries. With all the comparison almost all pharmacist I know would kill for their kids to go to medical school and become a doctor. I have seen Pharmacist who have graduated and come back to study medicine. I'm yet to see a Doctor leaving medicine for pharmacy or cajoling their kids into pharmacy.

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by TonySmart50: 12:22pm On May 27, 2019
I'll start this way... A doctor only kills a patient at a time. A pharmacist kills thousands at a time. Secondly people who shout medicine is more lucrative. How many doctors in Nigeria can match Emzor, Juhel, etc.
Also I've gotten to interact with the faculty officer of medicine UNN when I was looking for admission. He asked me this shaking question. He asked if I wanted to study medicine because I have ambition for it or I heard money is in it so I want to do it. I smiled and told him I wanted the money. He also smiled and told me to that I was in the wrong place that if I want money I should do myself good and go for pharmacy and make my money... He gave me examples... Chris Ngige is a big politician who studied medicine thinking he was gonna make the money but graduated and noticed something different he had to go into politics. I overhead someone saying medical students have a better knowledge in pharmacology. It's very funny but bro keep your facts before you release them. I'm a pharmacy student in UNN... Pharmacy faculty has pharmacology as a department. Pharmacology is a course that came through pharmacy, it's in pharmacy you learn everything about pharmacology just like the name sounds "pharma"
When you talk of safety pharmacists are just enjoying raw cash without stress... When Ebola case came up many doctors died and no pharmacist died lol... When cholera comes up a doctor must surely be recorded dead.
Me now self I don't even have time to perform surgery on someone... I so much like freedom and to be stress free. When you talk of importance
Pharmacists make drugs but from natural herbs "Pharmacognocy can guide you on that and they also make drugs synthetically, they know the drugs working mechanisms that the doctors... What else do you need in health sector. The only thing is that doctor perform Surgerys which wouldn't be successful without the drugs we make... Naturally even a ventenary medical doctor can perform surgerys on human... I don't really see a reason for you to give medical doctors edge over pharmacists... They are so much known because of there selfless devotion I accept that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Martinez39(m): 1:20am On May 28, 2019
Let's not deceive ourselves. A medical doctor anytime any day.
Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Eligant1: 4:59pm On Aug 31, 2019
Oogway:
This should do justice to the the topic. Straight out of Google and Wikipedia. Sometimes I wonder why Pharmacist never keep comparing themselves to doctors it's more like part of their training. Lolz. Pharmacy is a noble profession but they should know their boundaries. With all the comparison almost all pharmacist I know would kill for their kids to go to medical school and become a doctor. I have seen Pharmacist who have graduated and come back to study medicine. I'm yet to see a Doctor leaving medicine for pharmacy or cajoling their kids into pharmacy.
Do you know why Pharmacists keep comparing their profession to Doctors? It’s because society downplayed their importance, the same reason black people in America & all over the world keep comparing themselves to White people. It’s simple psychology. By the way, I worked in a US hospital business department for 4 years (while I was prepping for med school). In my time there, I realized that Business is the king of all careers. Doctors and other hospital staff can lose their jobs anytime, but the owners of the hospitals will remain.
And also do not come to a conclusion by what you see on Wikipedia, Doctors pay is by specialty. Also Pharmacists earn less in the US but more in Nigeria. Whereas Doctors earn more in the US and “ridiculously” less in Nigeria, plus they are a shadow of the profession because they don’t have access to decent medical equipments.
I recently quit my medical school journey (while I was still doing my prerequisites, don’t come at me I did not fail o, God is my witness I had a 3.9 GPA. People who graduated from good Universities in Nigeria know US colleges na beans) and decided to be a full time business woman. I’m not alone, even Doctors in the US are diving into business too.
If you have a passion to help people go for Medicine, if not it can be frustrating as the thrill dies pretty quickly.
I have 3 cousins who are Doctors in Nigeria, one is a politician today, the remaining two are complaining daily, I won’t advice anybody to read Medicine in Nigeria except they plan to relocate to the US after graduation.

Re: The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. by Eligant1: 5:02pm On Aug 31, 2019
Forgive my grammatical errors, I know Nigerians expect perfection always. �

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Female Lawyers Should Be Allowed To Wear Trousers In Court / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? / What Is The Way Forward For A Fresh Graduate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.