Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,381 members, 7,819,383 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:18 PM

Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns (54077 Views)

Soft Drinks Kill 184,000 Adults Every Year - Study / Is It Right To Take Drugs With Cold Water / Health Expert Warns: Any Food Eaten After 8pm Is Poison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by TUMIC(m): 6:16am On Mar 11, 2013
Ilorin - A pharmacist, Busayo Idowu of the Department of Pharmacy, University of Ilorin
Teaching Hospital (UITH), warned on Saturday that taking drugs with beverages such as soft drinks could have adverse effects.
In an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Ilorin, Idowu said that drugs, if taken with soft drinks might affect the absorption of the drugs. The expert noted that most soft drinks were acidic, which could decrease the anti bacterial action of tetracycline as they contain
carbonates. Idowu warned further that such acidic drinks
when combined with drugs could cause adverse reaction to patients.
According to him, absorption of some drugs such as aspirin, ketoconazole and phenytoin
could be affected also when taking with acidic beverage. He added that such drugs were best absorbed at highly acidic levels when taken orally.

"Acidic beverages delay the absorption rate and action of Erythromycin”, he said. He advised that drugs should preferably be used with water as it had the properties capable of eliminating unwanted effects.
I word is enough for the wise.

NAN
http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Stop-taking-drugs-with-soft-drinks-expert-warns-20130310

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Dreal1247: 6:28am On Mar 11, 2013
This should not only end Nairaland as majority of Nigerians has resorted 2 the use of soft drinks 2 take drugs. Good advice indeed.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by greatgod2012(f): 8:32am On Mar 11, 2013
Its not that pple dont really know that its not ideal, but some pple just believe its part of "igbadun" (enjoyment)and some find it difficult to swallow with ordinary water, hence, using soft drinks.
However, we need to stop deceiving ourselves, water is d best liquid to use with drugs, and i even prefer warm water, which helps d drug to absorb quickly.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by omoodeogere(m): 2:47pm On Mar 11, 2013
3RD COMMENT ABEG STOP AM O I NO GOOD OO

1 Like

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Etumgbe(m): 2:49pm On Mar 11, 2013
ok ooo. we don hear
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by konn: 2:50pm On Mar 11, 2013
many people are a victim of these menance a word is enough for the wise
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by yvonnechi(f): 2:51pm On Mar 11, 2013
good advice
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Sijo01(f): 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
Using soft drinks to take drugs?....... Thats ignorance!
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Temismith(f): 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2013
Thank u! Wat of using eba to take drugs?

4 Likes

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:54pm On Mar 11, 2013
Noted!
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by huninaija(f): 2:54pm On Mar 11, 2013
I take my drugs with soft drinks all the time, although iv heard n several occasions it can slow down or destroy the function of the tablets..

From now on i will only take tablets with water, what about drinks like orange juice? Does it apply here as well ??
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
Well, softdrinks works most times for me......
Don't seee the point friend.
First of, its easier as it eliminates the bitter taste.
Second, soft drink gives you quick easy to absorb nutrients,especially when your appetite is gone.
Thirdly, it helps abate the effect of some strong pills on empty stomach.
Trust me mate, when you are sick and you throw up all the food you force into you, including ur drugs, you'll definitely want to try out soft drinks....... They always come to the rescue

My humble opinion

3 Likes

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Arsenate(m): 2:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
Always use WATER, unless stated otherwise. Far safer and yet cheaper than all these soft drinks.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by TrustJ(m): 2:55pm On Mar 11, 2013
Nice one Mr Pharm.pls keeping updating us
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by cowgurl: 2:57pm On Mar 11, 2013
I didn't read this
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Seun(m): 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2013
What about milk? I've found that taking some drugs with milk seems to eliminate the bitter aftertaste. Milk is not acidic, so I guess it should be ok.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by vb0mb(m): 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2013
Pls oooo! How about using milk or putting the drug in the middle of eba, fufu or amala and roll before swallow?
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by proudlyboyscom: 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2013
haba na u sabi for ur own health
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by LeOstrich: 2:58pm On Mar 11, 2013
Does this also means I cant have my codeine syrup with cold pepsi?

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Sijo01(f): 2:59pm On Mar 11, 2013
TUMIC:

I word is enough for the wise.

NAN
http://nigeria.news24.com/National/News/Stop-taking-drugs-with-soft-drinks-expert-warns-20130310

Op, na you use that one put jara, abi na so e follow the report come

1 Like

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by obi123: 3:00pm On Mar 11, 2013
also do not take medication with grape fruit juice

grapefruits contain a group of chemicals, furanocoumarins, which can affect drug metabolism – the amount of time it takes for a drug to be broken down by the body.

The chemical inhibits an enzyme that breaks down drugs, this can cause more ‘active’ drug to be present in the body than was intended with the given dose. This can then trigger unpleasant, and sometimes serious, side effects.

Furanocoumarins inhibit an enzyme, cytochrome P450 3A4, that is responsible for the inactivation of approximately half of all drugs.
http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/11November/Pages/Prescription-pills-and-grapefruit-a-deadly-mix.aspx

LADIES BEWARE ,THIS COULD BE WHY SO MANY BIRTH CONTROL PILLS DON'T WORK!!

1 Like

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Arsenate(m): 3:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
brosss: Well, softdrinks works most times for me......
Don't seee the point friend.
First of, its easier as it eliminates the bitter taste.
Second, soft drink gives you quick easy to absorb nutririon,especially when your appetite is gone.
Thirdly, it helps cusion the effect of some strong pills on empty stomach.
Trust me mate, when you are sick and you throw up all the food you force into you including ur drugs, you'll definitely want to try out soft drinks....... They always come to the rescue

My humble opinion
this is not the matter of opinion. We are talking facts here. Drugs are chemical agents, soft drinks contain chemicals as well, when an appropriate medium, these chemicals might react thus neutralising the drug.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Sijo01(f): 3:01pm On Mar 11, 2013
Temismith: Thank u! Wat of using eba to take drugs?

Make them nor go there o, because thats the only medium drugs pass through my troat.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by LeOstrich: 3:03pm On Mar 11, 2013
obi123: also do not take medication with grape fruit juice

grapefruits contain a group of chemicals, furanocoumarins, which can affect drug metabolism – the amount of time it takes for a drug to be broken down by the body.

The chemical inhibits an enzyme that breaks down drugs, this can cause more ‘active’ drug to be present in the body than was intended with the given dose. This can then trigger unpleasant, and sometimes serious, side effects.

Furanocoumarins inhibit an enzyme, cytochrome P450 3A4, that is responsible for the inactivation of approximately half of all drugs.

LADIES BEWARE ,THIS COULD BE WHY SO MANY BIRTH CONTROL PILLS DON'T WORK!!

come again bro...
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2013
Okay, notedly.
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by dokunbam(m): 3:12pm On Mar 11, 2013
Those who ears let them hear
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by LeOstrich: 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2013
dokunbam: Those who ears let them hear

those who hear let them ears

1 Like

Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by obi123: 3:18pm On Mar 11, 2013
Re: Stop Taking Drugs With Soft Drinks, Expert warns by LeOstrich: 3:21pm On Mar 11, 2013
How about cocaine and grapefruit?

I usually feel very zippy if I take a hit and down some grape juice

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Doctors Gave Her 10 Days To Live. Now A Year Has Passed And She's Still Here / Multiple Stones Removed From A Lady's Bladder (Graphic Photo) / Should I Take Postinor 2 Everytime?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.