Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed (1327 Views)

UD Balrog 70W TC Kit Review / Four New Elements Have Just Been Added To The Periodic Table / Li-fi Has Just Been Tested In The Real World,and Its 100 Times Faster Than Wi-fi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by luluosas(m): 10:01am On Mar 14, 2013
(The dots is as a result of NL's anti.... Please Bear With Me As It Was Earlier Hid.den)
Good Morning Nairalanders.
Please, be cautious when transacting busi.ness particularly, Online busi.nesses.
I regis.tered for Lib.erty Re.serve Acc.ount some time ago but, I have never funded my acc.ount ever since I regis.tered. My primary reason for regis.tering was for si.tes that do pa.ys via Lib.erty Rese.rve and others when using their services.
On the 4th of this month, I received a supposed LR em.ail with their usual ema.il handle in contacting users of their serv.ices that, I have received a refe.rral commis.sion pay.ment of one hundred and forty dol.lars. I was given a link to use and confirmed my acc.ount to pa.y 0.01 do.llar in order to cla.im my supposed 140.00 dol.lar commi.ssion. In fact, the said acc.ount number that sent the commi.ssion was not even a LR acc.ount (X45.976).

Cutting Long Story Short: Phis.hing Noticed But I Ignored It

Lib.erty Res.erve always states in their em.ails that, any em.ail from them addresses the recipient with his/her first name but on this said em.ail, I was addressed simply as Dear Member. Moreover, Lib.erty Res.erve do also states in their em.ail that, they will never add a link on em.ails from them but, I pa.id deaf ears.
So, as there was no mon.ey on my acc.ount, I purc.hased a thirty dol.lars LR from nai.ra4dol.lar costing me five thou.sand naira at one hundred and sixty seven naira to one dol.lar, which was promptly cred.ited to my LR acc.ount yesterday, though a 30 ce.nt commi.ssion was collected.
I therefore proceed to processed the received commi.ssion using the link on the em.ail.

Immediately I cli.cked on the lin.k, Google warned me that the URL is a phi.shing one. I ignored it and even submitted the URL to Google that I know the URL. I copied the address which was actually numbers looking like an IP add.ress and paste it to a fresh tab on my Opera Mobile brow.ser. Immediately I clic.ked send, again, Opera warned me that the address is a phis.hing one. Once again, I ignored it.

When I somehow became susp.icious at this point, I visited LR in a new tab to check for their All Ri.ghts Rese.rved.
In the authentic LR page, the All Rig.hts Res.erved reads © 2002 — 2013 Libe.rty Res.erve. All rig.hts res.erved. but, in the compromised LR page, it was reading © 2002 — 2013 Lib.erty Res.erve SA. All rig.hts rese.rved. I was contemplating stopping here but, for the fact I was thinking of missing twenty something thou.sand naira, I proceeded.

Again, when I was log.ging into my acc.ount, it was asking me whether to remember my pas.sword or not, a thing I have never witness when accessing my LR before now. This was enough reason for me to terminate the trans.action but, I became stubborn. I went ahead to make the pay.ments of 0.01 dol.lar to acc.ount num.ber U94.22875 but, I was surprised to see a different ac.count number U608.7218 in the em.ail that LR sent me immediately that I have sent 29.70 dol.lar from my acc.ount.

Therefore, I felt disappointed in that instant and realized that, I have just been spa.mmed and defra.uded.

As if the spam.ming was not enough, the fraudsters actually took all my information to log into my account. So, when I checked my mail this morning, a two LR ema.ils were in my inb.ox asking me to verify my location. This usually happens when I logged in using different compu.ters but this time, the IP was from Amer.ica.

De.ar Lugard,

We detected that you are accessing your acc.ount from a different location (IP: 204.188.221.207, Country: US). We sent a verification PIN to your em.ail to make sure you are the owner of this acc.ount. If you have a problem receiving it please contact our support.

If you did NOT try to login to your acc.ount then we would strongly recommend you change your login information.

In realizing this ugly development on my LR acc.ount, I quickly changed all my login details at LR as well as conta.cting LR and F.B.I through Inte.rnet Cri.me Compl.aint Cen.ter (IC3) complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Although the deeds have been done but, I want to advice everyone of us to be extra careful in handling matters that relates to our fina.nces especially the ones being trans.acted or carried out on the inte.rnet.
Remember, to be forewarn is to be forearm. Thank you all.

Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by lockheed55(m): 9:34pm On Mar 14, 2013
ok
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by JUO(m): 3:01pm On Mar 16, 2013
this na old news now, besides u work for liberty wen go make them dash u $150? na greed worry u, if u check the url very well deference dey
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by luluosas(m): 7:14pm On Mar 16, 2013
JUO: this na old news now, besides u work for liberty wen go make them dash u $150? na greed worry u, if u check the url very well deference dey
Thank you. I hope you hear me so.
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by dregmaster: 7:24am On Apr 05, 2013
Lesson learnt: no free lunch, there is always a hook somewhere along the line. Greed is the active ingredient that makes victims fall to scam.
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by luluosas(m): 6:33am On Apr 10, 2013
dregmaster: Lesson learnt: no free lunch, there is always a hook somewhere along the line. Greed is the active ingredient that makes victims fall to scam.
True talk but not everybody has that greedy tendencies in them. Thank you.
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by Hardfact: 10:48pm On Apr 10, 2013
Lulu, were a learner? You should have known better. Anyway, thanks for trying to sensitize the learners.
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by luluosas(m): 7:21am On Apr 15, 2013
Hardfact: Lulu, were a learner? You should have known better. Anyway, thanks for trying to sensitize the learners.
My brother, na so I see am ooooo. That's why I am now advising others to beware. Thank you.
Re: Fra.ud Ale.rt: I Have Just Been Sca.mmed by bizmahn: 10:23am On Apr 15, 2013
its not always greed.financial difficulties make people desperate and always willing to make use of seemily available rare opportunites.Indeed its sheer greed for some others but whatever the drive is learn from the unlucky fellas and shine ur eyes.

(1) (Reply)

MTN PC Direct Browsing Settings On PC With@ Software Is Back With Blazing Speed / Kangpe: The First Free Nigerian Health Service App / 25 Facts About Left Handed People You May Not Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.