Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

106 Year Old Woman Graduates High School 88 Years After Denied Her Diploma - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 106 Year Old Woman Graduates High School 88 Years After Denied Her Diploma (972 Views)

IG User Blasts Freda Francis, Calls Her 'Ashewo & Old Woman'(pics) / Stephanie Okereke-Linus Welcomes Baby Boy 3 years After Marriage (PIC) / Pictures of past Most Beautiful Girls In Nigeria(88-2009)who is your favourite? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

106 Year Old Woman Graduates High School 88 Years After Denied Her Diploma by IfyDurusBlog: 8:29am On Mar 15, 2013
A 106-year-old central Ohio woman who completed all her high school classes but didn't graduate because a dispute over a book has long-last received her high school diploma.

Reba Williams was presented with her diploma at her apartment in Columbus on Wednesday in a jam-packed ceremony that was nearly 88-years overdue, the News Journal in Mansfield reports.

The 2013 graduate even got to wear a traditional white graduation cap brought by retired Mount Vernon English teacher Rita Dailey who was the one to first urge the school board to award the diploma.

Mrs Williams has said she completed high school in Mount Vernon but was denied her diploma because she refused to read a final book assigned by a teacher.
She'd read the book once and didn't want to read it again.

Vernon Superintendent Steve Short, who read over her high school records himself, was on hand to personally award the woman her diploma.

'Congratulations, Reba, you are the top of your class. You've taught us a lot,' he said.
Mrs Williams says she hopes current students realize that learning is important and that they probably shouldn't follow her example.

'If they expect to get any place in this world, they have to learn,' she told the Journal.
Mrs Williams says she was never not a fan of school or learning but on the contrary grew up wanting to read rather than run around and play games like hide-and-seek with the other kids. She said her favorite subject was math.

Among those in attendance were her daughter and 88-year-old 'baby' brother Charles, seen here congratulating his big sister

'I liked to learn everything,' she said. 'In high school, I took everything that I could'
Mrs Dailey says she would have handled her expected 1925 graduation differently if she were her teacher at the time.

'I would not be one to condone a student not completing an assignment, but I would offer alternatives,' she said. 'Apparently, she wasn’t offered that opportunity.'

Mrs Williams went on to work as a cook at Malabar Farm from 1943 to 1957.

Among her family present for the ceremony was her daughter, Lavata, and younger brother, Charles, who's 88-years old.

source: http://ifyduru..com/2013/03/106-year-old-ohio-woman-graduates-high.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293501/Reba-Williams-106-year-old-Ohio-woman-graduates-high-school-nearly-88-years-later.html

(1) (Reply)

Diddy Tops Forbes'wealthiest Hip-hop Artists List / “what I Feel About Featuring Secular Artistes In Gospel Songs” – Eben / Stella Damasus Is Pregnant For Daniel Ademinokan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.