Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,290 members, 7,818,985 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? (5159 Views)

Wonderful Responses From A Little Boy To Policemen / Report A Scam! / Law Breaker Seme, Badagry Custom Controller (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 9:26am On Mar 19, 2013
My kids are writing examinations presently, and yesterday, when i was trying to revise their notes with them, i came across the citizenship education note of one of them, with the topic"duties of a good citizen" and the first duty talked about payment of taxes, the second duty was on reporting law breakers to the law enforcement agency, i asked the boy to give me exanples of law enforcement agencies, he mentioned......the policemen, the armed forces, i also asked him to give me examples of law breakers........he said......armed robbers, hired killers, touts who fights on the streets, disturbing/troublesome neighbours,e.t.c........
I also asked, if he can report such people, if need be, he confidently answered affirmatively, (can you imagine?, a primary one pupil being taught tll that), well, at this juncture/point, i couldnt but laugh, i thought, in this Nigeria, someone to walk up to the police station with the aim of reporting a law breaker....hhhmmmmm, that person will smell weeehn.
I remember in our days in school then, all of us passed through the general course...."citizenship education", but since that yesterday, i have started thinking if we have actually been performing this duty of ours, considering the type of people that are made up of our law enforcement agencies, especially the police force in this country.
I cant say of other countries o, but in this our Nigeria, do people actually report law breakers to the policemen?
As for me, i have never, even when im the one that is cheated, im always the "i leave it for God to judge" type, because i always have this fear that, if i report, i will have myself blamed at the end of the day, so, i always refrain from going there.......policemen, i fear them die, abeg, dem no be my friends at all.
So, lets share, have you reported a law breaker to the policemen in Nigeria, if yes, how did it go, if no, can you? If need be?
Thanks and may God help us all.

3 Likes

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 9:35am On Mar 19, 2013
@ Topic...
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 9:51am On Mar 19, 2013
Okija_juju: @ Topic...

this your resounding nooooo says a bulk, that me and you be the same......... grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Mynd44: 9:59am On Mar 19, 2013
I reported an abusive husband once and the woman came back to tell me to mind my business. Imagine

Other than that, I would and I have reported things a lot, anonymously though
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 10:05am On Mar 19, 2013
Mynd_44: I reported an abusive husband once and the woman came back to tell me to mind my business. Imagine

Other than that, I would and I have reported things a lot, anonymously though

your first report got me laughing, havent you heard that obey's song......."oro tokotaya, e ma dahun sii o"

on a serious note, just thank your stars that all those anonymous reports of yours didnt get you in trouble.
May God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Mynd44: 10:07am On Mar 19, 2013
greatgod2012:

your first report got me laughing, havent you heard that obey's song......."oro tokotaya, e ma dahun sii o"

on a serious note, just thank your stars that all those anonymous reports of yours didnt get you in trouble.
May God help us all.
I am insured. Very insure against trouble
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by omiobo: 10:17am On Mar 19, 2013
I can if I won't be needed for briefing.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 10:24am On Mar 19, 2013
omiobo: I can if I won't be needed for briefing.

but you yourself know that you will surely be called for briefing now, except as anonymous reporter, just like mynd44
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by CrazyMan(m): 10:32am On Mar 19, 2013
I wouldn't do such. The Nigerian police lacks the professionalism and training to handle such cases.

Imaging reporting a notorious tout in the area to the police...he gets picked up, and after a few days or weeks he's released after parting with a bribe...do you think you'll be safe after he learns that you were the one that advocated his arrest?

Its the job of the police to arrest perceived and known criminals.

If they want the co-operation of the public in fishing out this hoodlums, then they must guarantee informants their safety. If that cannot be established, it would be wise learn to mind your own business and steer clear from people affairs...

As for the issue of fights, robbries, trouble in the area...etc, I can easily pick up my phone and give them a call...

2 Likes

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 11:01am On Mar 19, 2013
OP, that should be the duty of every living citizen.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 11:16am On Mar 19, 2013
Freiburger: OP, that should be the duty of every living citizen.

yes, i know, but do we all perform the duty, especially in Nigeria, are the citizens encouraged by our policemen to perform the said duty? This is my concern.
May God help us all.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 11:16am On Mar 19, 2013
CrazyMan: I wouldn't do such. The Nigerian police lacks the professionalism and training to handle such cases.

Imaging reporting a notorious tout in the area to the police...he gets picked up, and after a few days or weeks he's released after parting with a bribe...do you think you'll be safe after he learns that you were the one that advocated his arrest?

If they want the co-operation of the public in fishing out this hoodlums, then they must guarantee informants their safety. If that cannot be established, it would be wise learn to mind your own business and steer clear from people affairs...

As for the issue of fights, robbries, trouble in the area...etc, I can easily pick up my phone and give them a call...

thank you!
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by aadetoyin(f): 12:18pm On Mar 19, 2013
I have never reported anyone but if someone's life is at risk, I will
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by biolabee(m): 12:30pm On Mar 19, 2013
OP, that should not be the duty of every citizen aspiring to live a normal life

1 Like

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by omiobo: 2:12pm On Mar 19, 2013
greatgod2012:

but you yourself know that you will surely be called for briefing now, except as anonymous reporter, just like mynd44

it has to be as anonymous reporter
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by greatgod2012(f): 6:40pm On Mar 19, 2013
omiobo:

it has to be as anonymous reporter

better!
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Artistree: 1:57pm On Mar 20, 2013
Report ko, result ni.
In Naija where the accuser always becomes the accused. I won't try it, even for a million bucks!
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 20, 2013
only if en no find me somtn
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Regiblinkz(m): 2:01pm On Mar 20, 2013
If you're rich enough
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by mu2sa2: 2:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
Nigeria does not have a police service; what we have is a police force. Our police lack proper training and discipline to engender public confidence. With a ragtag force like that it's better to stay your distance from them.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 20, 2013
No! definitely not in this nigeria. U may end up been the one in jail. Dats NPF for you. angry
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 2:09pm On Mar 20, 2013
i'm so shocked at most of the responses i'm seeing here, if the government and its police force cant protect its citizens, what's the need for having one? Security is what every responsible government owes its citizens for God's sake.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by slimyem: 2:11pm On Mar 20, 2013
Report fire!!
I'll turn a blind eye instead..undecided
Its not just about the police force.Its about our people too.
For ordinarily reporting a classmate for cheating in secondary school,I became the despised one and almost frustrated in my class.The bigger picture is the society.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by veee: 2:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
The last time I did, I spent the entire day at d police station writing statements upon statements.. And for two days I didn't do anything with my life. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 2:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
slimyem: Report fire!!
I'll turn a blind eye instead..undecided

And you think you 're helping even yourself with that?
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by gen2briz(m): 2:15pm On Mar 20, 2013
Report ke for this naija, I no fit try am oooo
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 20, 2013
CrazyMan: I wouldn't do such. The Nigerian police lacks the professionalism and training to handle such cases.

Imaging reporting a notorious touts in the area to the police...he gets picked up, and after a few days or weeks he's released after partying with a bribe...do you think you'll be safer after he learns that you were the one that advocating his arrest?

If they wants the co-operation of the public in fishing out this hoodlums, then they must guarantee informants their safety. If that cannot be established, it would be wise learn to mind your own business and steer clearer from people affairs...

GBAGUN has gone to market here! Those guards at yaba left don't knows their job at all!
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by gen2briz(m): 2:17pm On Mar 20, 2013
Imagine you reporting a suspected boko boys to NPF.........
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 20, 2013
Freiburger: i'm so shocked at most of the responses i'm seeing here, if the government and its police force cant protect its citizens, what's the need for having one? Security is what every responsible government owes its citizens for God's sake.
You obviously haven't been to Nigeria in a long time. We don't have one, we don't have a police force. Our policemen are armed robbers in black. Instead of them to protect us, the extort money from us and kill people like chickens. Are those the kind of people we should report to? abeg!!

1 Like

Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by slimyem: 2:19pm On Mar 20, 2013
Freiburger:

And you think you 're helping even yourself with that?
No,I don't but its safer.
I would if it could be done anonymously though..undecided but i doubt Nigerian policemen act on anonymous tips.
Re: Can You Report A Law-breaker To Policemen In Nigeria? by bigfat05: 2:27pm On Mar 20, 2013
lipsrsealed undecided IN NIGERIA MAYBE IN THE YEAR 2064

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Public Universities In Ghana / The Seven Richest And Most Famous Criminals In History. / How To Check If Your National ID Card Is Ready For Collection

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.