Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Why You Are Not Making 6 Figures As A Webmaster - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Are Not Making 6 Figures As A Webmaster (942 Views)

Why You Are Not Making A Kobo From Your Blog / Need A Webmaster To Partner With My Record Label / An E-book That Will Make You A Webmaster In No Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Are Not Making 6 Figures As A Webmaster by Nobody: 7:40am On Mar 20, 2013
I'm sure you will all agree with me that the Nigerian market is very lucrative for most kind of business but the story has been different for a lot of website owners. The inability to cash in on the dot com boom has led to the frustration of many webmasters a lot of which has been expressed in this section several times.

Although some form of business have been able to enjoy a lot of patronage from the Nigerian online community, blogs, webhosts and even forums like Nairaland are making six figure income solely from their domains.

However, the story has been different for several other webmasters who aren't just lucky enough to see their ideas fly. Sometimes patience and persistence can also be a winning factor. Some of the successful Nigerian websites have been on it for upwards of 5 years before the money starts rolling in. That's an awfully long time frame if you ask me. And the story could have been different if and only if a lot more Nigerians are "internet literate".

What exactly do I mean by "internet literacy". I'm sure we all know what exactly it means to be computer literate. Internet literacy can be seen as a subset of computer literacy. This means that most people who are computer literate I.e proficient with the use of and handling of a computer system or gadget. Not all the computer literates in Nigeria which I can confidently put at around 50% of the entire population are "internet literate".
This means they do not know how to effective utilize computer systems or gadgets to access and perform functions using the internet.
A large number of Blackberry users don't even use their mobile browsers for routine internet access except it's absolutely necessary (I know my sister hardly surfs the internet). Some don't even have their emails configured smh! As far as they are concerned their device is all for Facebook and Twitter and in some cases they preview Nollywood movies on Afrinolly grin.

So where am I driving at? I believe online business would have been a hit and an avenue to make lots of cash if most Nigerians were "internet literate" just as you have in more advanced countries and maybe just maybe most webmasters in this section would be smiling to the bank on a regular.
I'd be glad if web developers were confident enough to boast of at least one 6 figure job they've done.
I believe we will get there.

Footnote: please forgive any errors or typo's. I typed this on a mobile device while on my way to an online examination. Will correct them later.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Are Not Making 6 Figures As A Webmaster by sisqology(m): 10:24pm On Mar 21, 2013
I like!
Re: Why You Are Not Making 6 Figures As A Webmaster by Nobody: 10:30pm On Mar 21, 2013
sisqology: I like!
Sharp guy! cool

(1) (Reply)

Help Please I Want To Build A Site That People Can Login To / Need Your Advice Nairalanders / SDOSMS - a Complete, Cheap, & Best School Management System. Earn 30% commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.