Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Professor Chinua Achebe's Biography - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Professor Chinua Achebe's Biography (1070 Views)

The Gambia Pays Tribute To Professor Chinua Achebe / There Was A Man.......grandfather Of African Literature, Professor Chinua Achebe / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Professor Chinua Achebe's Biography by abproffy: 8:45pm On Mar 24, 2013
Famed writer and educator Chinua Achebe was born Albert Chinualumogu Achebe on November 16, 1930, in the Igbo town of Ogidi in eastern Nigeria. After becoming educated in English at the University of Ibadan and a subsequent teaching stint, in 1961, Achebe joined the Nigerian Broadcasting Corporation as director of external broadcasting. He would serve in that position until 1966.

Prior to joining NBC, in 1958, Achebe published his first novel: Things Fall Apart. The groundbreaking novel centers on the cultural clash between native African culture and the traditional white culture of missionaries and the colonial government in place in Nigeria. An unflinching look at the discord, the book was a startling success and has become required reading in many schools across the world.

The 1960s proved to be a creatively fertile period for Achebe. It was during this decade that
he wrote the novels No Longer at Ease (1960), Arrow of God (1964) and A Man of the People (1966), all of which address the issue of traditional ways of life coming into conflict with new, often colonial, points of view. (Anthills of the Savannah [1987] took on a similar theme.)

source; http://ogamayor..com/2013/03/biography-of-professor-chinua-achebe.html
Re: Professor Chinua Achebe's Biography by tpia5: 4:38am On Mar 27, 2013
i'm currently reading his memoirs/biography [TWAC], but it seems to me details of his origins are quite sketchy.

eg i'd like more info on his parents [when were they born, etc].

info on his grandparents.

(i guess he didnt know).

why was he named chinualumogu.

what was the civil war he referred to, which occurred during his grandparents' [i think] time.

(1) (Reply)

My Childhood / No Boulevard In Sango (16+) / Intriguing African Proverbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.