Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? (1831 Views)

Arik London Flight Declares Emergency At Heathrow Airport / Arik Air Delays Lagos Bound Passengers For 6 Hours At Heathrow Airport / What Is Happening In Nigeria? (For Nigerians At Home Only) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by Ajebota(f): 1:18am On Mar 30, 2008
Wondering if I am the only who gets annoyed every time i am told by B.A staff to go into this nasty little luggage weigh-in room reserved 'specially' for Nigerians to weigh their luggage before the actual check-in desk? I find it degrading and insulting. I don't care if Nigerians are notorious for excess luggage. it gives no one the right to discriminate me because I am traveling to Lagos, aaarrrggghhhhh
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by joshjosh(m): 1:33am On Mar 30, 2008
i didn't know it was for nigerians only. in fact i doubt it would be. but as you said our people too carry excess load.
last month one lady nearly started abusing herself because i didn't help carry her load on my baggage allowance. i don't know her from no adam yet she tot it cute to let anyone just check in their luggage in my name. if they discrimate that will be sad but nigerians are special people you know
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by Imani(f): 1:39am On Mar 30, 2008
joshjosh:

i didn't know it was for nigerians only. in fact i doubt it would be. but as you said our people too carry excess load.
last month one lady nearly started abusing herself because i didn't help carry her load on my baggage allowance. i don't know her from no adam yet she tot it cute to let anyone just check in their luggage in my name. if they discrimate that will be sad but nigerians are special people you know

Hey JoshJosh, you have met such women too grin grin grin. They are unbelievable. People dont realise how dangerous it is to carry that doesnt belong to you or strangers in the name of "helping". I aim to be fair in all my dealings. If the baggage allowance is 32Kg and you pack 50kg, and cant afford to pay for overweight i dont feel sorry for such people. A bit harsh but better than finding myself entangled in a situation i didnt bargain for.
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by Imani(f): 1:41am On Mar 30, 2008
double post
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by Ajebota(f): 2:12am On Mar 30, 2008
Err joshjosh have you ever seen anyone who was not going to Nigeria weighing their luggage in that room? Its only when i'm going to Lagos that i'm asked to go there. When the airport staff ask where I am going and its not Lagos they give me doggy looks like I MUST be going to Lagos because im Nigerian, scr*w dat mehn,

@ the woman wanting you to carry her load. If im in Heathrow and i'm flying to Lagos I always do 'strongface.' Trust by the time anyone looks at my face they dare not ask such a stupid question, lol
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by uspry1(f): 5:53am On Mar 30, 2008
Check out the following existing thread at below:

Ba Baggage Allowance
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-123421.0.html
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by EloSela(f): 8:39am On Mar 30, 2008
Ajebota:

Err joshjosh have you ever seen anyone who was not going to Nigeria weighing their luggage in that room? Its only when i'm going to Lagos that i'm asked to go there. When the airport staff ask where I am going and its not Lagos they give me doggy looks like I MUST be going to Lagos because im Nigerian, scr*w that mehn,

@ the woman wanting you to carry her load. If im in Heathrow and i'm flying to Lagos I always do 'strongface.' Trust by the time anyone looks at my face they dare not ask such a stupid question, lol

It isn't only for Nigerians and to answer your question I have been in that room in terminal 4 and seen other nationalities go in there to weigh their luggage before checking in.

If you ask me I think the room is quite handy. It saves one standing in line to check in only to get there and be told that things have to be taken out because you have exceeded your luggage allowance.
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by joshjosh(m): 6:02pm On Mar 30, 2008
EloSela:
It isn't only for Nigerians and to answer your question I have been in that room in terminal 4 and seen other nationalities go in there to weigh their luggage before checking in. If you ask me I think the room is quite handy. It saves one standing in line to check in only to get there and be told that things have to be taken out because you have exceeded your luggage allowance.

i thought so too. i think most people only go there when you are travelling and so only see nigerians. that room is too big to be given to only nigerians.

i think we should reduce what we carry anyway. and please do not for any reason take what does not belong to you. it can easily get you in trouble
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by bigbumper(f): 2:39am On Apr 06, 2008
Prior to the 23 kilo max rule, it used to apply to Nigerians only. It never happened when I travelled to other countries, only when I wanted to travel to Nigeria. I use to spark for them like mad, especially Virgin Airways, and get away with it by telling whoever accost me that If I get to the cherck-in desk and discover that my luggage is over-limit, I would pay the excess. As If.
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by lucabrasi(m): 4:05am On Apr 06, 2008
i think it has a lot to do with the nigerian government itself,even the amount nigerians pay for tickets and the price variations is a rip off, apart from the lugaggage issue,you will get a better service on a $250 flight to the united states or a flight to canada than to nigeria in spite of the exorbitant ticket fares charged nigerian passsengers,
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by almondjoy(f): 10:00am On Apr 06, 2008
@Topic. . .I definitely agree.  That should teach Nigeria to respect herself as a country and maintain her own functioning airlines for more than one week!

I used to be guilty of carrying excess luggage to and from Nigeria.  Till one day I looked at myself and looked at the other passangers on the same flight who were not Nigerians.  Granted we all love our villages and their poverty-stricken inhabitants, with their love for designer things they only import and never learned to manufacture. . .but it is not a means of incurring undue stress to ma person and face the disgrace at the airport to prove to everyone around me that I am going on a humanitarian pilgrimage. . .where people demand everything from pencils to mobile homes!

I made a vow that day and never ever went anywhere without the luggage requirements.  I did not die and the needy in Nigeria have survived.  I just give alms from now on.  Saved my wallet from the excruciating pain of throwing hard earned money, not obtained by 419 away on "excess luggage"!

The whole world recognizes that we are a bunch of unruly, cantankerous, gregarious and sanctimonious disciples of indiscipline and different rules should apply to us. You need to see Nigerians "prizing" excess baggage fees in different Nigerian languages at international airports all over the world.  Then they hold up lines with their repacking and unpacking smelling clothing and half-eaten food stuff like global refugees.  When all fail, they resort to insulting the ticketing agents and baggage handlers in adulterated pieces of some creole language. . they think is the "English" language. It is disgraceful and enough is enough!

To make matters worse, they have initiated the ticketing agents into the world of bribing and flouting rules.  One good thing that came out of 9-11 is that you will not get away with most of the rubbish done in the past. Imagine when I travelled via KLM on one of ma trips to Nigeria. . . a black American ticketing agent asked me for $135 dollars to sneak 2 suitcases in that were clearly over weight to Nigeria.  She was going to mark them as correctly weighed to save me money and earn her thieving self some.  Of course I refused to do such a thing!  I unpacked the excess rubbish and sent the rest home. That was the last time I allowed my self that kind of disgrace!

If I wanted to exhibit such cheap "crookish" tendencies, I would gladly have stayed in Nigeria for the rest of ma life to perfect the art of "petty thievery" without any iota of animalistic shame!

Kudos to the other countries for recognizing that we need "special treatment"! kiss
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by silentc(m): 3:03pm On Apr 07, 2008
In as much as it pains me to say it, I have to, Almodjoy is 100% spot on! sad
Re: Who Disagrees With The Separate Luggage Weigh In For Nigerians At Heathrow? by joshjosh(m): 1:52pm On Apr 09, 2008
silentc:

In as much as it pains me to say it, I have to, Almodjoy is 100% spot on! sad

why the pan bro? she is almost correct most of the time just that you guys take her old rants against her.

@ AJ this "a bunch of unruly, cantankerous, gregarious and sanctimonious disciples of indiscipline and different rules should apply to us." just lost you your chieftancy title here with these oyibo grammaticarious

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Restaurants In Manila, Philippines / How To Replace Lost Nigerian International Passport From Nigeria / 4 Reasons To Travel To Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.