Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Yahoo Buys Teen’s Start-up For $30 Million - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Yahoo Buys Teen’s Start-up For $30 Million (1463 Views)

Nigerian Teen Girls Win International Award With Their Waste Disposal App / 17-year-old Boy Sells App For $30 Million To Yahoo Inc / I Can't Access My Yahoo Account With My Operamini Handler (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Yahoo Buys Teen’s Start-up For $30 Million by ayox2003: 11:21am On Mar 26, 2013

By Reuters,

Got a tech idea and want to make a fortune before you’re out of your teens? Just do it. That’s the advice of the London schoolboy who has just sold his smartphone news app to Yahoo for a reported $30 million.

The money is there, just waiting for clever new moves, said 17-year-old Nick D’Aloisio, who can point to a roster of early backers for his Summly app that includes Yoko Ono and Rupert Murdoch.

“If you have a good idea, or you think there’s a gap in the market, just go out and launch it, because there are investors across the world right now looking for companies to invest in,” he said in a telephone interview late Monday.

The terms of the sale, four months after Summly was launched for the iPhone, have not been disclosed, and D’Aloisio, who is studying for school exams while joining Yahoo as its youngest employee, was not saying. But technology blog AllThingsD said Yahoo paid roughly $30 million.

D’Aloisio said he was the majority owner of Summly and would now invest the money from the sale, though his age imposes legal limits for now on his access to it.

“I’m happy with that and working with my parents to go through that whole process,” he said.

D’Aloisio, who lives in the prosperous London suburb of Wimbledon, highlights the support of his family and school, which gave him time off, but also, critically, the ideas that came with enthusiastic financial backers.

He had first dreamed up the mobile software while studying for a history exam two years ago, going on to create a prototype of the app that distills news stories into chunks of text readable on small smartphone screens.

He was inspired, he said, by the frustrating experience of trawling through Google searches and separate Web sites to find information when studying for the test.

Trimit was an early version of the app, which is powered by an algorithm that automatically boils down articles to about 400 characters. It caught the eye of Horizons Ventures, a venture capital firm owned by Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing, which put in $250,000.

That investment attracted other celebrity backers, among them actor Ashton Kutcher; British broadcaster Stephen Fry; Ono, the widow of Beatle John Lennon; and News Corp. media mogul Murdoch.

Although he has created an app worth millions, D’Aloisio said he is not a stereotyped computer geek.

“I like playing sport,” he said. “I’m a bit of a design enthusiast, and like spending time with my girlfriend and mates.”

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/yahoo-reportedly-buys-teens-start-up-summly-for-30-million/2013/03/25/00b2856c-95be-11e2-b6f0-a5150a247b6a_story.html
Re: Yahoo Buys Teen’s Start-up For $30 Million by Javanian: 11:39am On Mar 26, 2013

(1)

Please Help With This Java Program. / First Ever Nigeria Elections App / Google Code Shutting Down Finally!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.