Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,734 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

The Morgue - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Morgue (612 Views)

AMIDST THE DEAD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Morgue by rinabella: 5:50am On Mar 27, 2013
[center]
I took my first steps into the morgue….
I felt proud and a little scared at the same time for this is my first day in medical faculty in Ain Shams University.
The first thing that disgusted me wasn't the sight of the dead corpses as I expected but it was the smell.
The smell of formalin mixed with old dirty rotten corpses elicited an urge of vomiting in my gut.
Nevertheless, I took more steps into the morgue and away from the door.
There was no one else, just me and the bodies.
How could they? This is not the time of an anatomy section where usually the morgue becomes crowded with students listening and doctors explaining.
I just wanted to know where the morgue is, so when it's my section time, I get to know where to go.
But unfortunately, my curiosity wouldn't let me just know the place without taking a look inside.
The morgue was all white…. White walls, white floor, white dissecting tables.
It was large with scattered tables around the place and on each table there was a green dirty plastic cover.
The windows were high covered by a brown silky web.
I looked around and my eyes fell on what seemed to be a large box made of tiles and covered by a flat wooden cover.
It was quiet when I walked more closely to the nearest table and away from the door.
I could hear nothing but my feet tapping on the floor.
Although I was all alone, I felt a strange presence ….. It must be the respect of the dead! I thought.
Now, I was standing next to a table looking at the dirty green plastic cover.
I took a deep breath then I grabbed the edge of the plastic cover. As I did, I got chills running all over my body.
Slowly and Carefully, I removed the cover and saw what was inside.
It took me some time to realize that it was a human head! He had opened eyes with mummified wrinkled skin and frozen eyeballs, his mouth was opened as if he died screaming, he had white hair …. He was an old man.
Most of all, his cheeks were dissected. His muscles appeared brown and dirty; there were vessels and a white thin crank like nerves.
The odor was horrible from nearby. As I was continuously staring at his opened eyes, I felt he's going to come back to life and look back at me!
I recovered his terrible face and I passed from table to table and from corpse to corpse checking them one after the other.
As I was walking through the morgue, I realized that there were more corpses behind a wall which was just in the middle dividing the morgue into two parts.
So, I went behind that wall to check out more corpses! But it was the dumbest thing I've ever done.
Not five minutes later, I heard the door closing!
Whoever closed the door from outside didn't see me inside the morgue and thought it was empty!
Suddenly, I got scared more like terrified. How can I get out? I can't stay with more than ten bodies all night long.
Without hesitating, I ran as fast as I could towards the door screaming:" Hey! Open the door….. Hey!"
When I got to the door, I tried to open it but it was useless for it was locked from outside.
I started hitting the door with my palm still screaming:" Please don't leave….. Open the door"
Nobody answered me! I heard absolutely nothing…. Neither anyone walking nor any sound of keys.
The door was still locked! I was inside still hitting and screaming and still no one came!
_" This can't be happening!" I said spontaneously talking to myself refusing to believe that I might have to stay here.
It was six o'clock in the afternoon; could this be the time at which they usually close the morgue? And reopen it the next day?
_" Oh my God!" I said still talking to myself when I realized I might spend the whole night here.
_" C'mon! I'm locked inside…… Help please" I continued screaming refusing to give up and trying to catch anyone who might be passing by.
I turned around facing the morgue again but this time it was different!
It still looked just the same when I first got inside but it was more alive, quieter and more terrifying!
_" Please! Can anybody hear me? Hello?" I shouted again but with a weaker voice and a begging tone.
I waited in a desperate need for anyone to answer from outside.
I was still collided to the door unwilling to leave it, unwilling to go away.
I tried to calm myself wiping my tears and thinking of another way out.
The windows were very high; I could never reach them not even when I stand on something!
Suddenly, an idea jumped into my head…. "My cell phone"
How could I forget about it? It was my only last hope left.
I took it out of my pocket and dialed my boyfriend Matt number.
It was ringing as I was holding it with my shivery hands on my ear.
_" Hello? Matt!" I said rapidly when he answered.
_"Lena? Are you okay?" Matt asked after noticing my troubled voice.
_" Yeah! Yeah! I'm good except that I'm locked inside the morgue" I said trying to sound as calm as possible.
_" What? Oh My God! Don't worry Lena, I'm heading to you now" Matt said.
_" Thank you and hurry up ok? It's awful here" I repeated.
_" Sure, I'll be there immediately" Matt answered quickly reassuring me.
I hanged up feeling much better now that someone knows I'm here.
Slowly, I walked slowly to sit in a corner as far away as possible from the corpses.
I didn't know why but I was scared! The place was much more terrifying when I'm locked inside alone with the dead bodies.
They were sleeping so quietly, so still and so lifeless but somehow I felt they knew my presence. I was like an intruder in their silent world that needed to leave them without troubling their endless sleep.
I buried my head between my arms and legs refusing to look at the corpses!
There, it was much safer in my own darkness, my own sanctuary, my own fortress …..But unfortunately it wasn't strong enough as I hoped it would be.
Soon enough, the air felt heavy on my lungs and I needed some fresh air so I raised my head up again.
Shockingly, my mind froze, my body went all cold, my eyes widened in horror and disbelief when I saw what was in front of me!
There was a man! A complete non dissected healthy middle aged man standing in the corner of the room looking at me!
I looked back at him just frozen as the corpses…. I was totally alone in the place with no way in or out! Where did he come from? Why didn't I even hear him get in or out?
The strange man kept looking at me without even blinking…. Just standing there like a statue!
I looked at his chest to make sure he was breathing….thus, he's alive!
The shock took its' time before I could think and move again…. Then I looked beside him to see an empty removed green cover dissecting table!
My heart pounded fiercely in my chest as I was standing up on my legs still looking at the strange man who still didn't move an inch.
His eyeballs moved maintaining his stare as I rose up.
_" What are you doing here?" Surprisingly, he spoke asking me.
_" I …. Euh !... I …. Am locked inside!" I replied slowly.
The man nodded slowly saying:" Is that so?" and he took a few steps towards me.
_" you don't have the key, do you?" I asked trying to keep myself put together.
Still walking, the man put his hand on his chin like he was thinking for a while before answering:" No, I don't. I don't even leave here"
Now, Officially, I was horrified… Can that be real? Was I dreaming? Did I loose my mind?
_" how did you get inside?" I asked him taking a few steps back, keeping a good space between me and him.
He stopped approaching when I did that and replied:" Are you afraid of me?"
I stared at him without answering.
_" Don't be afraid! I'm not gonna hurt you!" he said calmly.
Unexpectedly, I saw that as a threat and not as a relief!
_" How did you get inside?" I asked again insisting.
_" I came here four years ago, I was looking for my brother who had gone missing…. So, I was looking for him in this morgue because I thought he was dead but I didn't find him….. You didn't see him, did you?"
I shook my head rapidly feeling the danger, however I asked again:" Four years ago? You didn't leave here for four years?"
_" No, I came here at dawn…. There was no one inside so I kept searching and searching between the corpses without finding him….. Then, I found out that the door closed and I was alone here just like you and then…." He stopped looking at me to notice the effect of his story on my face.
I refused to show him the horror inside me and kept my face as cold and careless as I could.
_" I called my wife to come and open the door for me but she was too late!" he continued.
_" What happened?" I asked unable to hide my fear no more.
_" they came! And caught me! And before knowing it, I felt their scalpel piercing my skin and going all the way on my arms and my chest…. Then I realized what was happening, they were dissecting me!" he explained very calmly as if he was telling me a bedtime story.
_" stay away from me!" I shouted at him when I considered the possibility that I might be talking to a dead man.
_" Don't worry! I'm not like them…. I'm gonna help you get out of here!" he said approaching again.
I looked at his perfectly healthy arms and chest…. There were no signs of dissection at all, not even a single drop of blood.
_" Are you dead?" I asked though I'd never thought I'd ask anyone this question in my life.
_" Me? Dead?....." he laughed loudly then continued:" I was dead but now I'm good and I'm gonna help you. Come with me!" he continued extending his hand out to me.
_" How you're alive right now?" I asked refusing to take his hand.
The man stared at me with a different look in his eyes. He was mad, furious…. My question pissed him off.
_" Lena….?" I heard my beloved boyfriends' voice calling from outside.
I called back as loud as I could:" Maaaatt.."
Suddenly, I felt a hand on my mouth…. The man moved so quickly that I didn't have enough time to avoid him.
Luckily, my voice was loud enough to get Matt to hear it …
My heart floated between hope and despair when I felt the dead man pulling my body over and putting me on a dirty dissecting table.
In a glimpse of an eye, I saw all the other corpses coming back to life, approaching and standing around me !!
The man was trying to restrain me when I shouted over:" Maaaatttt hurry up, the corpses are alive!"
I heard Matt hitting and kicking trying to open the door while the man took one scalpel and directed it to my belly!
_" No! No! Don't …. "I screamed trying to avoid the scalpel but all the corpses around had really very tight grip.
I felt the scalpel as it touched my skin; it was cold, dry and hard …. Then, I felt my skin being pierced and a terrible pain then I screamed like never before.
_" Lena, Lena …. Wake up!" Matt said while shaking me trying to wake me up.
I opened my eyes to see his bright face in front of mine and finally I felt safe!
I looked around me to see myself lying on the floor of the morgue with Matt next to me and all the corpses are still on their tables lifeless as normal.
_" How do you always get into such troubles?" Matt wondered.
I looked at him for a while then replied smiling:" I must've fallen asleep while I was waiting for you"
_" C'mon, let's get out of here" he said pulling me up on my feet.
We left the morgue and went back to our homes …. Luckily, I was still alive and it was only just a nightmare.
Right?
Right?
The end
Rina bella

[/center][center][/center]

Re: The Morgue by oyestephen(m): 11:44am On Mar 27, 2013
Phew....nice storyline....xpecting more from u
Re: The Morgue by fankasibe: 9:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
On a serious note, i can continue dis write-up, all i need is time.
Kudos.
Re: The Morgue by luvmijeje(f): 9:05pm On Mar 28, 2013
Why are they sleeping inside the morgue? *following*

(1) (Reply)

Oh My Friend / How To Sell One's Ebook And Make Money In Nigeria / 8 Writing Tips To Remember From Charles Dickens

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.