Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,943 members, 7,952,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:10 AM

How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? (10912 Views)

What Movies Make U Cry? / Free Nigerian Movies: Leave onlinenigeria.com alone / To Watch Nigerian Movies Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by Seun(m): 9:21pm On Mar 31, 2008
Culled From Naijarules:
, I know this sounds like the dumbest question in the world but help me out here,

1. There's an unknown # of bootleggers out there.Do marketers get the movies out before the bootleggers do?

2. If the movie is release in Nigeria,who gets it to yanki,the marketer or the bootlegger?

3. With God knows how many movies coming out practically every day,how do people know which to buy and which to watch?

4. How does the producer know this or that movie made any money?

5. There's perhaps some production companies out there that make tons of movies every month so there's probably an offset somewhere but,how about the independent producer that makes two or three movies per year,how will his work stand out in the crowd?

6. If I pool together a powercast of Nigerian actors in a movie,and a movie ends up costing me like, say, $50000 after all costs(which by that estimate is considered low budget by many),which avenues do I go to go ensure recouping what I've invested ,if it's considered topnotch work by all and sundry??

abeg help me here, I'm looking for serious answers please,
Pa
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by andrewdg(m): 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2008
Seun i would try to answer your questions, one after the other.

1. The first release is usually by the marketer of the said movie. Immediately after that pirate may come in.

2. The exporting of the film to yankee is done the smartest; the marketers or the bootleggers. When the movie is out in nigeria, they have an acess to the job and that leads them to exporting it to various other countries. To counter them, you need to conclude arrangements in the major countries you want your movies to go, before ever luanching it out in nigeria. keep the original copy till you are set for general release. I would also want you to know that that is what is obtainable in the global market: there are pirates everywhere!

3. Considering the amount of movies that come out everyday and its effect on consumers, the case is almost completely turned. There is a huge developement in the industry, the marketers are now on strike over these issues:
a. part 3 and 4 should be scrapped.
b. each producer should have just one slot a year, to make a film.
c. the case of having a single disc as one film.
d. excessive adverts.
The arguements have not been easy but it is leading to a breakthrough into professional filmmaking.

4. Tracing the financial success of your movie depends on your calculated format of doing that and also, it depends on the strategy of distribution you adopt; there are many.

5. Oprah Winfrey says the only way to deal with racism is through excellence. Drawing from that, making your movie stand out, you have to make an outstanding movie. Secondly, if you can think very well, you will come up with the perfect distribution network. In other words, you have to know what it takes to make a hit movie and then, research on a medium to sell it. Think hard!

6. Casts alone does not make a hit movie, point of correction! My friend travelled all the way to liberia to shoot his epic movie, the editing is on now. He used their stars and and very few nigerian stars. How many stars are there in 'passion of christ'? Its the uniqueness of the story and the brilliant shooting, coupled with the perfect marketing strategy that made it blow.
If you can think well and have strong hands and haeds as crew, $50000 is enough. Get a story that stands out on its own, well screenplayed and then a thorough shooting and editing. When this is achieved, classy adverts begin(not the noisy scrab). Travel to the countries you have in mind or find a way of affiliating with their distribution company in contract. You can also try the theatres before release is done. And of course, this depends on the output( the film)- Kinsley Ogoro does it.You can also do some internet marketing and promotion on it; that is your field.

There are many ways i could be of help to you but the surest aspect is giving you a superb story and screenplay that will begin the process of making a hit movie.

Call me on phone so we can talk on it more; 07034819433- Andrew Simon.

3 Likes

Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by andrewdg(m): 3:26pm On Apr 21, 2008
If by and by, you still cant put your money into feature film, try soap opera; a classy one.
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by andrewdg(m): 3:29pm On Apr 21, 2008
combrazor your statement is not a question. what part isnt clear to you, what are you asking?
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by Seun(m): 7:19pm On Apr 21, 2008
andrewqdg: I very much appreciate your contribution to this thread, while others said nothing. wink
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by andrewdg(m): 3:19pm On Apr 24, 2008
i see many research you do on the net to know about the industry but you need to see people and dare something to really know how it is.
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by Safari29: 3:23pm On May 13, 2015
all is well
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by sholay2011(m): 4:47pm On May 13, 2015
Safari29:
all is well
Eheh eh...talk about reviving a thread...
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by sellers4buyers(m): 4:04pm On Jan 06, 2020
Please someone with an up to date information should update this thread, I heard movie industry is a money spinning business. The practical how is the challenge.
Re: How Do Nigerian Movies Make Money? by Dkyz(m): 2:02pm On Feb 01, 2020
andrewdg:
Seun i would try to answer your questions, one after the other.

1. The first release is usually by the marketer of the said movie. Immediately after that pirate may come in.

2. The exporting of the film to yankee is done the smartest; the marketers or the bootleggers. When the movie is out in nigeria, they have an acess to the job and that leads them to exporting it to various other countries. To counter them, you need to conclude arrangements in the major countries you want your movies to go, before ever luanching it out in nigeria. keep the original copy till you are set for general release. I would also want you to know that that is what is obtainable in the global market: there are pirates everywhere!

3. Considering the amount of movies that come out everyday and its effect on consumers, the case is almost completely turned. There is a huge developement in the industry, the marketers are now on strike over these issues:
a. part 3 and 4 should be scrapped.
b. each producer should have just one slot a year, to make a film.
c. the case of having a single disc as one film.
d. excessive adverts.
The arguements have not been easy but it is leading to a breakthrough into professional filmmaking.

4. Tracing the financial success of your movie depends on your calculated format of doing that and also, it depends on the strategy of distribution you adopt; there are many.

5. Oprah Winfrey says the only way to deal with racism is through excellence. Drawing from that, making your movie stand out, you have to make an outstanding movie. Secondly, if you can think very well, you will come up with the perfect distribution network. In other words, you have to know what it takes to make a hit movie and then, research on a medium to sell it. Think hard!

6. Casts alone does not make a hit movie, point of correction! My friend travelled all the way to liberia to shoot his epic movie, the editing is on now. He used their stars and and very few nigerian stars. How many stars are there in 'passion of christ'? Its the uniqueness of the story and the brilliant shooting, coupled with the perfect marketing strategy that made it blow.
If you can think well and have strong hands and haeds as crew, $50000 is enough. Get a story that stands out on its own, well screenplayed and then a thorough shooting and editing. When this is achieved, classy adverts begin(not the noisy scrab). Travel to the countries you have in mind or find a way of affiliating with their distribution company in contract. You can also try the theatres before release is done. And of course, this depends on the output( the film)- Kinsley Ogoro does it.You can also do some internet marketing and promotion on it; that is your field.

There are many ways i could be of help to you but the surest aspect is giving you a superb story and screenplay that will begin the process of making a hit movie.

Call me on phone so we can talk on it more; 07034819433- Andrew Simon.

(1) (Reply)

Download Nollywood Video: 1st Hit Starring Terry G / Avatar The Last Airbender 2024: Honest Review / Download Link / Hilarious Video - Comedian I Go Die. "Why A President Must Have B In His Name.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.