Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars (4032 Views)

Made In Nigeria, Innoson Saloon Car Seen In Apapa, Lagos (photo) / Accident Involving A Bus, Jeep And Keke At Falomo Round About (photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by alphaconde(m): 11:03am On Mar 31, 2013
Yesterday I was in a car race with a toyota highlander V6 with my audi A6 V6 I was doing well initially till the highlander dusted me behind with so much ease. What do I blame it on or do such cars drive faster.
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by mejai(m): 11:12am On Mar 31, 2013
Sedan is faster due to forces dat will act against suv! Stability at high speed is very important! At high speed, suv tend to roll over as while sedan will be at its peak. Unless ur hand no strong.
I can push a sedan to full throttle (200km/hr) but can't try dat wit a jeep.
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by Nobody: 1:07pm On Mar 31, 2013
Four things come into play here - mass, gearing, engine output and aerodynamics.

Driver ability also plays a role too.
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by Nobody: 1:18pm On Mar 31, 2013
mejai: Sedan is faster due to forces dat will act against suv! Stability at high speed is very important! At high speed, suv tend to roll over as while sedan will be at its peak. Unless ur hand no strong.
I can push a sedan to full throttle (200km/hr) but can't try dat wit a jeep.

Not true, my friend. There are too many variables to conclude a sedan will outrun an SUV.

A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, Audi Q7 6,0 V12 TDI, Range Rover V8 Supercharged, Mercedes-Benz ML 550 etc will outrun quite a few sedans. The Porsche and Audi are electronically limited to 155,3 mph (251 km/h). These have been tested beyond what they're limited to, so roll-over is not on the cards. No manufacturer will declare their SUV's fit for such speeds if they would roll over beyond 200 km/h, otherwise think of the lawsuits that would follow.

In the same way, not all family sedans are stable beyond 200 km/h.

Roll overs with SUV's are caused mostly by sudden changes in direction. This could occur as low as 125 km/h, and roads with excessive camber can contribute to roll over too. Sedans can roll over too, given the same circumstances as described above.

1 Like

Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by yungboss(m): 2:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
what year was this highlander and what year is your A6 V6...?
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by alphaconde(m): 6:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
yungboss: what year was this highlander and what year is your A6 V6...?

Toyota 2006 audi 2000
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by 50calibre(m): 8:29pm On Mar 31, 2013
I'm quite surprised, given that they are V6s but them you have to take into account some factors like

1 - what is the power - weight ratio of the both of them?
2 - they both might be V6s but how many horse powers are the SUV and SEDAN able to churn out?
3 - what are top speeds and acceleration of the both of them?
4 - how sound are their engines, and how many horsepowers have been depleted over time?
5 - how Many litres are the cylinders?
6 - is any turbo or super charged?
7 - was the race in a straight line or were there bends?
8 - what fuel do they use, diesel or petron?

The variables are many, lots of things can affect speed. I once overtook a be Bentley continental with a common Toyota land cruiser.
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by leuelliot(m): 9:38pm On Mar 31, 2013
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S is a blindly fast SUV so is the the ml63 AMG. moral of the story? Any thing with a turbocharger, supercharger, 8,10 or 12 cylinders Naturally aspirated strapped to its hood, is a force to be reckoned with cool
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by yungboss(m): 9:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
with the '06 v6 highlander, the 2000 A6 V6 audi has little to no chance, especially if its the hybrid higlander...you could catch it up on the highway, but that car is faster than your A6 V6...6.6s to 60 vs 9.4s to 60...
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by DaimlerBen(m): 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2013
50calibre: I'm quite surprised, given that they are V6s but them you have to take into account some factors like

2 - they both might be V6s but how many horse powers are the SUV and SEDAN able to churn out?
4 - how sound are their engines, and how many horsepowers have been depleted over time?

The variables are many, lots of things can affect speed. I once overtook a be Bentley continental with a common Toyota land cruiser.
The Bentley wasn't in the mood!
Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 04, 2013
50calibre: The variables are many, lots of things can affect speed. I once overtook a be Bentley continental with a common Toyota land cruiser.

Come on, bro. This makes no sense. Overtaking a Bentley Continental isn't the same as drag racing. I've been overtaken by 1,6L Honda Civic's with 95hp, whilst I've been in my Audi RS6 which has 450hp.

Does that make the Civic faster? Not at all. It simply means there's a time and place for everything. I have a pretty fast car, and have little to prove, especially to a small family hatchback on a public road.

2 Likes

Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by AutoQuint: 9:39am On Apr 07, 2013
I Can't agree with you less. your analysis is perfect.

50calibre: I'm quite surprised, given that they are V6s but them you have to take into account some factors like

Re: Which Drives Faster Between SUV/JEEP And Saloon/sedan Cars by alphaconde(m): 10:20pm On Apr 09, 2013
Perhaps I wasn't on full performance cus I can remember I was in gear 4. Somehow I just wanted to know A statement of fact which should or is faster keeping all aforelisted conditions favourable

(1) (Reply)

Mileage Milestone / What Are The Top 10 Fuel Efficient Cars In Nigeria? / 2006 BMW 325i Vs 2005 Mercedes Benz C240.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.