Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,462 members, 7,770,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:47 AM

Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) (28489 Views)

Pictures Of Lagos Carnival And Water Regatta 2015 / Man Turns Attraction At Lagos Carnival (photo) / LASG Announces Saturday, May 2nd 2015 As New Date For Lagos Carnival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 12:15am On Apr 01, 2013
[size=14pt]Carnival[/size]
www.nairaland.com/attachments/677272_lagos20carnival202010_jpg20a215283de7928d4f095ce19bdfc36d

Carnival is a festive season that occurs immediately before Lent (the last celebration before lent); the main events are usually during February. Carnival typically involves a public celebration or parade combining some elements of a circus, mask and public street party. People often dress up or masquerade during the celebrations, which mark an overturning of daily life.

The Brazilian Carnival is one of the best-known celebrations today, but many cities and regions worldwide celebrate with large, popular, and days-long events. The Carnival in Rio de Janeiro is the largest carnival in the world, according to the Guinness World Records, with two million people per day on the streets. The first festivals of Rio date back to 1723.

Origins of Lagos Carnival.

During the 1850’s there was a large influx into Lagos of educated Africans who had earlier been sold as slaves, from Sierra Leone, Brazil and Cuba. The Sierra Leoneans were known as Akus or Saros, the Brazilians and Cubans as Agudas.

In the 1880s there were four distinct groups in Lagos – the Europeans, the educated Africans (Saros), the Brazilians and the indigenes. The town was physically divided into four quarters corresponding to these groups. The Europeans lived on the Marina, the Saros mainly west of the Europeans in an area called Olowogbowo, the Brazilians behind the Europeans – their quarter was known as Portuguese Town or Popo Aguda or Popo Maro – and the indigenes on the rest of the island – behind all three. By 1888 there were 3,221 Brazilians in Lagos. A prominent member of the Brazilian group was Placido Adeyemo Assumpçao who later changed his name to Adeyemo Alakija.

Fanti Carnival (also known as Caretta) was brought to Lagos Island by these Brazilians who settled around Campos area in Lagos State and on Lagos Island to be specific. It was introduced by the Da Souza and Kanaku families. The masked rider and the horse are aspects of Brazillian ranch life. Some of the men dress like cowboys and they are known as FASUTINI and they ride bicycles while their leader rides a horse.

It is important to stress that, in the early days women did not partake in the dressing up in masks and different clothing, but they were allowed to go around with the different actors.

The carnival comes up three times in a year, Boxing Day, Easter Monday (the first celebration after Lent and Easter Sunday) and on New Years Day.

As time went on, the people living in Lafiaji area, also on Lagos Island, started participating in the carnival. Later still, other areas of Lagos, like Obalende, Surulere, Yaba, etc caught the carnival bug. Until recently, Lagos was the only part of Nigeria that hosted the carnival.

The green and gold of Campos Square (the Brazillians) at the Lagos Carnival 2012.

The red and white of Lafiagi at the Lagos Carnival 2012.

Violence

The carnival was a time of fun, laughter and merriment. However, from the 1970s to the early 2000s, the great Lagos festivals of Carnival, Eyo and Egungun were marred by violence between youths from different sections of Lagos or groups of masquerades. These festivals became synonymous with injury, destruction and death.

The Lagos State Government, headed by Babatunde Fashola, decided to get involved in organising the Carnival and Eyo Festival in order to ensure that activities are conducted in a safe and secure environment and that it serves as a means to attract tourists to the state. Government involvement has returned the carnival and Eyo Festival to what they were known for; laughter, music, dancing and merriment.

Government agencies such as LASTMA, LASAMBUS, RRS, Operation Mesa, Neighbourhood Watch, etc are fully mobilised to ensure that the event is hitch free. Corporate bodies are involved in sponsoring segments of the carnival, with some providing free food, drinks and souvenirs for celebrants. BRT buses convey members of the public to the Tafawa Balewa Square free of charge. There are also open top double-decker buses that give tourists a great view of the festivities. Famous musicians such as 9ice also perform at the carnival.

RRS (robocop) at the Lagos Carnival 2012

Police at the Lagos Carnival 2012

LASAMBUS at the Lagos Carnival 2012

Mounted police.

Open top double-decker tourist bus.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/677276_free20BRT_jpg06dbf2da5449afbddb4abebc515af6b1
Free rides on BRT buses.

Fire service

Lastma (road closed).

A new innovation was added to the celebration of carnival with the introduction of the junior carnival. Primary and secondary schools on Lagos Island are invited to send students to represent their schools at the junior carnival.
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/677387_IMG00475-20120409-1020_jpgf325165fd3967886f0b5479cf6573045[/img]
St Jude’s Private Secondary School.

The procession usually kicks off at the Giwa Barracks, Falomo. Some floats then proceed along Awolowo Road to Tafawa Balewa Square. Another kick off point is Campos Square on Lagos Island. Celebrants parade down Igbosere Road, Broad Street, Catholic Mission Street, Marina Street and on to Tafawa Balewa Square. Some floats go through Ozumba Mbadiwe Road and Ahmadu Bello Way on Victoria Island on their way to the Tafawa Balewa Square. The junior carnival kicks of at the National Museum Onikan. The floats then proceed to Campos Square and then to the Tafawa Balewa Square.

The Lagos Carnival 2013 will hold on Easter Monday, April 1st 2013 from 10am till 6pm. Admission into the Tafawa Balewa Square is free. Admission to the VIP stands is strictly by invitation. It is advisable to park your car at the Marina car park and other designated car parks on Lagos Island. Awolowo Road, Bourdillon Road, Igbosere Road, Catholic Mission Street, Bamgboshe Street, King George V Road, the approaches to Tafawa Balewa Square and parts of Kingsway Road will be closed to traffic. However, BRT buses will be provided to convey members of the public to the TBS for free. Focal points for this year's carnival include Tafawa Balewa Square, Campos Square and Giwa Barracks (Kingsway Road) Ikoyi. Sponsors of the Lagos Carnival 2013 include First Bank, MTN, Maltina, Eko Hotel and Suites, Cool FM, NigeriaInfo and Wazobia FM. Performing at the Tafawa Balewa Square this year is Olamide (Whizkid and Eldee performed at last year’s carnival)/

Please feel free to post pictures of your carnival experience and tell us what’s happening where you are.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 12:48am On Apr 01, 2013
www.nairaland.com/attachments/677273_5676951105_3431aae1de_jpgace890a59760169cd2c123314c41c932

The costumes are made by people from the Lagos State Skills Acquisition Centre and are given to participants for free (sponsors cover the cost).

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 12:49am On Apr 01, 2013
The Lagos Carnival is part of the Lagos Black Heritage Festival. Events of the Black Heritage Festival include a water regatta, gathering of masquerades from across South West Nigeria, art exhibition and events at the Badagry Slave Port and the Freedom Park on Broad Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0g79PLFegw
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 12:56am On Apr 01, 2013
The Water Regatta event held on Easter Sunday, 31st March 2013. Below are pictures of the event.

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 1:10am On Apr 01, 2013
Water regatta.

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 1:11am On Apr 01, 2013

Water Regatta 2010

Water regatta 2012

1 Like

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by Ishilove: 2:37am On Apr 01, 2013
naptu2:

Water regatta 2012
This boat looks like a vision from a marine spirit undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by omiobo: 10:13am On Apr 01, 2013
This carnival of a thing in Nigeria is rubbish. Wetin govt do for me wey go make me enter road dey dance. Suffering and smiling!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by holluwai(m): 10:21am On Apr 01, 2013
Very dry!!!....I'd rather sleep in the comfort of my house than sweat profusely like a Christmas goat all the name is Canifa
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 01, 2013
Omo, see as mods dey drown people post for water...

Let us live biko...

Cool pics, wish I attended - *hopes last comment saves post*
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by 360command: 10:24am On Apr 01, 2013
Was the carnival done on land?
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 10:25am On Apr 01, 2013
They've just set up the road blocks at Flag Staff House and Awolowo Road.
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by DJDOLA(m): 10:26am On Apr 01, 2013
I WEEP FOR LAGOSIANS
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 10:30am On Apr 01, 2013
The children's carnival has started. Pictures coming up.
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by DammyFx: 10:31am On Apr 01, 2013
Rocked this carnival ..
AIRTEL UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD CHEAT
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by blackmale(m): 10:33am On Apr 01, 2013
nigerians.. always living with suffering and smiling method
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by ba7man(m): 10:33am On Apr 01, 2013
Life is not all about suffering and hardship. We should all learn to relax and have fun from time to time. Seems there's a lot of frustrated Nigerians around. Don't hate on people just b'cos they're haviing fun.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by alfredo4u(m): 10:33am On Apr 01, 2013
calabar karnival still remains the best.
If no b calaba, there is no other...

1 Like

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by Legalplayerz: 10:34am On Apr 01, 2013
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:36am On Apr 01, 2013
At least Lagos is showing a sense of peace about Nigeria to the outside world ...that we are not a country all about violence robbery, BH and kidnapping ..

That to me is immensely positive vibe...
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:37am On Apr 01, 2013
omiobo: This carnival of a thing in Nigeria is rubbish. Wetin govt do for me wey go make me enter road dey dance. Suffering and smiling!
[b]Until nigerians realize that they are the ones making life hard for themselves, nothing will change.
abeg who are the Nepa officials not doing their job?
Who are the police officers?
Who are the vice chancellors that are not maintaining institutions well?
Who are the civil servants?

Are they politicians? Guys they are nigerians like you displaying laxities in their duties. I can tell that almost all nigerians take their duties both at work and in the society at large with levity.
What they fail to always realize is that this laxity of theirs is making a fellow nigerian to suffer and their suffering is also as a result of another nigerian failing in his duty.

To top it all, they forget leaders/politicians are chosen out of them; thereby the leaders represent what they are. I can tell most nigerians will also refuse to do their job if at all they also become a leader. Until we realize its our society who's got problem nothing will change, we will only go on in the same cycle.

[size=16pt]When Jonathan was shoeless, I can bet my life he was blaming government for everything, now that he is in power, what has he done differently? Nigerians need to use their thinking faculties and see the real problem! Start changing yourselves, your home, your society orelse things will continue to get worse(as we've been having worse leaders as each election passes). Only a dumb fellow continue to use an approach for a long time without getting a positive result and still continues in that path.[/size] I think I've said enough[/b]

26 Likes

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by naptu2: 10:39am On Apr 01, 2013
CMS Grammar School had ball jugglers, Festac High had guys on roller skates and Aunty Ayo are "going down low" to Olamide's hit song "first of all".

You can see pics of last year's carnival on this thread https://www.nairaland.com/910344/easter-monday-pictures-lagos-carnival
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 01, 2013
blackmale: nigerians.. always living with suffering and smiling method
lmao grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by asaajuomo1(m): 10:49am On Apr 01, 2013
The Water Regatta 2013 was full of colourful event last night.
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by OCcool: 10:50am On Apr 01, 2013
So how does dis carnival affect d price of GARRI in London, or how does it affect d price of GARRI in Sudan, huh? Infact, how does it put GARRI on my table,eh or how does it enable me provide GARRI 4 my family, huh?
Re: Lagos Carnival Easter 2013: (Pictures) by OCcool: 10:51am On Apr 01, 2013
OC cool: So how does dis carnival affect d price of GARRI in London, or how does it affect d price of GARRI in Sudan, huh? Infact, how does it put GARRI on my table,eh or how does it enable me provide GARRI 4 my family, huh?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Myths, Realities of Ijaws in Destiny with Rivers / Oluwo Akanbi Supports The Establishment Of Fulani Ranches In Yoruba Land / "Everything That Is Normal In The World Is Not Normal In Nigeria" - Emir Sanusi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.