Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,622 members, 7,823,738 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! (715 Views)

10 Ways Sinners Celebrate Easter- By Tosyne2much / Why Christians Should Not Celebrate Easter- Femi Aribisala / My Church Is Aware I’m Member Of Ogboni Confraternity —ogunfuwa, Remo Chief. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by CY09: 12:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
Oftentimes i find it difficult trying to explain to my folks that my church isn't celebrating Easter yet, especially during when I'm wished/greeted the usual "Happy Easter".
The following intends to enlighten the public especially those who don't know about the Eastern Rite (Orthodox church) as regards the Pascha Celebration.

Easter is not only a movable holiday but a multiple one: in most years Western Christian churches and Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate Easter on different dates. In 2013, for example, Easter will be celebrated on March 31 by Western churches and May 5 by Orthodox churches. But in 2011, the two celebrations occured on the same date, April 24.

The theological inconsistency of two Easters has remained a thorny problem for the Christian Church. "It has long been recognized that to celebrate this fundamental aspect of the Christian faith on different dates," states the World Council of Churches, "gives a divided witness and compromises the churches' credibility and effectiveness in bringing the Gospel to the world."
A Simple Formula, Complicated Interpretations

The formula for Easter—"The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox"—is identical for both Western and Orthodox Easters, but the churches base the dates on different calendars: Western churches use the Gregorian calendar, the standard calendar for much of the world, and Orthodox churches use the older, Julian calendar.

That much is straightforward. But actually calculating these dates involves a bewildering array of ecclesiastical moons and paschal full moons, the astronomical equinox, and the fixed equinox— and that's in addition to the two different calendar systems.
When Is a Full Moon Full?

The two churches vary on the definition of the vernal equinox and the full moon. The Eastern Church sets the date of Easter according to the actual, astronomical full moon and the actual equinox as observed along the meridian of Jerusalem, site of the Crucifixion and Resurrection.
Relation to Passover

The Eastern Orthodox Church also applies the formula so that Easter always falls after Passover, since the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ took place after he entered Jerusalem to celebrate Passover. In the Western Church, Easter sometimes precedes Passover by weeks.
Why One Faith and Two Easters?

The Western church does not use the actual, or astronomically correct date for the vernal equinox, but a fixed date (March 21). And by full moon it does not mean the astronomical full moon but the "ecclesiastical moon," which is based on tables created by the church. These constructs allow the date of Easter to be calculated in advance rather than determined by actual astronomical observances, which are naturally less predictable.

Reconciling East and West

A meeting organized by the Council of World Churches (in Aleppo, Syria, March 5–10, 1997) proposed a solution thought to be favorable to both East and West: both methods of calculating the equinox and the paschal full moon would be replaced with the most advanced astronomically accurate calculations available, using the meridian of Jerusalem as the point of measure. Since that meeting, however, no further progress has been made and the problem remains.
Re: My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by obioraeze(m): 12:37pm On Apr 09, 2013
maybe Jesus has not risen in your church
Re: My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by CY09: 12:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
obioraeze: maybe Jesus has not risen in your church
You don't need to be harsh bro, you should be open to knowledge.
Re: My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by Imprida(f): 1:27pm On Apr 09, 2013
Even deeper life celebrates easter mtchwwww
Re: My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by wonlasewonimi: 1:28pm On Apr 09, 2013
They probably want to combine it with xmas.
Re: My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by CY09: 3:30pm On Apr 09, 2013
This shows that majority of Nigerians have issue with reading. What stops you guyz from going through the post, probably google where need be and make sensible comments. I can't see where i said we don't celebrate Easter.smh undecided
Re: My Church Is Yet To Celebrate Easter! by wonlasewonimi: 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
CY09: This shows that majority of Nigerians have issue with reading. What stops you guyz from going through the post, probably google where need be and make sensible comments. I can't see where i said we don't celebrate Easter.smh undecided

Who wants to read your non easter celebrating church epistle to nairaland members?

(1) (Reply)

Seven Woes On The Teachers Of The Law And The PASTORS / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion 22nd Of June, 2013 Of Bondage And Liberty By Pastor E / What Is Deism About? Are deists Considered To Be theist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.