Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,176 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? (6336 Views)

39 Android Apps With Source Code For Beginners To Learn From & Make Their Own / How To Build And Design A Mobile Application Like 2go, Whatsapp, Mixit / Want To Start A Mobile Social Network Like 2go (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by babihouse(m): 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
As we all know facebook make its money
from adverts,whatapps and 2go are mobile applications and we know they do earn money but my question is how?
It is really amazing because they don't entertain adverts, so guys in the house how do they(whatsapp and 2go) earn their cash?

1 Like

Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by NnamdiN: 4:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
Dunno bout whatsapp, but 2go credits, 2go styles and all other 2go nonsense's u guys pay for should be it for 2go.
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by Coldblooded(m): 5:31pm On Apr 11, 2013
Whatsapp has implemented a $0.99 annual charge for its users, so thru dis dey will make dia money. They used a great market strategy by making it free at d initial time but monetizing it later.

1 Like

Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by babihouse(m): 7:21am On Apr 12, 2013
NnamdiN: Dunno bout whatsapp, but 2go credits, 2go styles and all other 2go nonsense's u guys pay for should be it for 2go.

that of 2go is not a direct payment or are u saying mobile operator pay 2go due to the amount of style and go credit been bought?
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by Javanian: 8:51am On Apr 12, 2013
babihouse:

that of 2go is not a direct payment or are u saying mobile operator pay 2go due to the amount of style and go credit been bought?

cant remember the last time i saw that app called 2go, but then they used an sms shorcode system. When you acquire an sms chort code from the service providers they give you a percentage of each message sent to that number, e.g. You short code maybe 35412. Each time a user sends a message to that number, he is charged maybe N100, you have a percentage of this and the service provider has its percentage.....Although, when i last checked this shortcodes are not cheap to acquire and i think greedy MTN makes you pay a monthly fee after the start up charges. I dont know if its still done this way....

Hope this helps
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by NnamdiN: 9:18am On Apr 12, 2013
Javanian:

cant remember the last time i saw that app called 2go, but then they used an sms shorcode system. When you acquire an sms chort code from the service providers they give you a percentage of each message sent to that number, e.g. You short code maybe 35412. Each time a user sends a message to that number, he is charged maybe N100, you have a percentage of this and the service provider has its percentage.....Although, when i last checked this shortcodes are not cheap to acquire and i think greedy MTN makes you pay a monthly fee after the start up charges. I dont know if its still done this way....

Hope this helps
in addition 2go is a south African thing so MTN greed might not really affect them. There are other networks too, so I doubt one network might be able to exploit them. I also think if it were not giving them money, they would have gotten rid of the damned thing. They scrapped 2go goodies coz e be like say Nigerians no send the thing.
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by babihouse(m): 10:19pm On Apr 12, 2013
@Javanian i think u have answered my question thanks.
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by mutago: 9:49am On Jan 05, 2014
Naija guys like 2go well well
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by losprince(m): 9:16am On Jan 07, 2014
2go place adverts while whats app charges 0.99 usd yearly but the first year is free.
Re: How Do Whatsapp And 2go Make Their Money? by Andrew3(m): 10:41am On Jan 07, 2014
Database. Numbers used for verification are sometimes sold for advert purposes. Ever wondered why and how a strange
advert sms came to your phone? smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

For Those Willing To Be Data Analyst, Machine Learning Guru / Practical Introduction To Python Web Programming / Working Or Looking For Foreign Remote Software Developer Job As A Nigerian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.