Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,536 members, 7,823,335 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:53 AM

Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat (715 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Near-death Or Afterlife Experiences - What The Bible Says About Death / Do We Go Straight To Heaven After Death, Or After The Resurrection? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat by Nobody: 12:51pm On Apr 13, 2013
I know we have sort of over flogged this topic to a certain extent, but this is a serious matter that needs to be addressed by the wider community , for if we get this wrong, we are of all men the most wretched.

I have a few questions and promise to keep this as a mild toned and mature debate.

1. If a Christian goes to be with Jesus immediately after death why is death referred to as an enemy which needs to be defeated , should it not be something all Christians should look forward to , since we will be with the Lord ?

"The last enemy to be destroyed is death." - 1 Corinthians 15:26

2. If we are already with the Lord after death , kindly explain these 2 bible verses which indicate we will be with the Lord at a future date:

After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever - 1 Thessalonians 4:17

My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. - John 14:2-3

3. Why look for our hope at the return of Jesus, surely through death we have realized our hope , contrary to the verse below :

"while we look forward with hope to that wonderful day when the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, will be revealed." - Titus 2:13

4. Why did Paul say that if the dead are not raised our hopes have perished , and the dead in Christ are perished ? How can the dead in Christ perish when they are with the Lord with their Souls ?

" For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. 19 If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied." - 1 Corinthians 15:17-19

5. Why is the common theme through the bible always in reference to death to as sleep ? Think about it, in our current state, when we sleep, we have no knowledge of anything, we do not think, we are totally oblivious to our environment, no ?

"Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed," - 1 Corinthians 15:51

"After he had said this, he went on to tell them, "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up." - John 11:11

So brethren, which is it, DEATH or RESURRECTION , which ONE is the Christian's HOPE.

1 Like

Re: Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 13, 2013
I need answers please.

smiley
Re: Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2013
The Lord forms the spirit of man within us(Zechariah 12:1).

The spirit of life leaves a child that is stillborn (Job 3:11).That shows us that the spirit of life was already in the child before it was born; it was formed there at the moment of conception.

The spirit of man, or the spirit of life comes from God and enters the unborn baby in the womb of the
pregnant woman (Ecclesiastes 11:5) and returns to God on our death (Ecclesiastes 12:7).

It is the spirit that gives us life and is owned by God (1 Corinthians 6:20).

The Lord is God of the spirits of all flesh (Numbers 27:16). Just before Jesus died, He committed His spirit to God(Luke 23:46). When Jesus died, He gave up the spirit of life (John 19:30). When Stephen died, Jesus received his spirit (Acts 7:59). Jesus was put to death in His human body, but He was made alive in the spirit. That left Jesus free to preach to people who had died and whose spirits were in Hades, the waiting place of the dead that is also called a prison (1 Peter
3:18 & 19) so they could live for God in the spirit (1 Peter 4:6).

The soul is described as the deepest parts of our fallen human nature. It was in the soul where Eve was tempted and where Adam disobeyed God and sinned. It is in the soulish realm where our rebellious sin nature lurks. Our soul, which is our sinful, corrupt character, and our spirit, which is God’s holy character are separate but both live within our mortal bodies.

The spirits of the righteous have been made perfect(Hebrews 12:23). It is the soul that is corrupt. The Word of God – the Bible – divides the carnal nature of the soul from the spirit of God’s character, and of the joints and marrow, which is the body (Hebrews 4:12).

The spirit and the soul return to God after we die, as long as we are believers. Our sinful soul is constantly warring against God’s pure spirit and that is acted out in our bodies (Romans 7:4 to 25).

For the non-believer, the soul and the body are destroyed in Gehenna (Matthew 10:28). The soul of the believer will be preserved, sound and complete along with the spirit and the resurrected body (1 Thessalonians 5:23). That means we will still be body, soul and spirit in the Kingdom of God, but we will have a perfect resurrected body and our soul and spirit will be sound (perfect) and complete.
Re: Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 13, 2013
The Lord forms the spirit of man within us(Zechariah 12:1).

The spirit of life leaves a child that is stillborn (Job 3:11).That shows us that the spirit of life was already in the child before it was born; it was formed there at the moment of conception.

The spirit of man, or the spirit of life comes from God and enters the unborn baby in the womb of the
pregnant woman (Ecclesiastes 11:5) and returns to God on our death (Ecclesiastes 12:7).

It is the spirit that gives us life and is owned by God (1 Corinthians 6:20).

The Lord is God of the spirits of all flesh (Numbers 27:16). Just before Jesus died, He committed His spirit to God(Luke 23:46). When Jesus died, He gave up the spirit of life (John 19:30). When Stephen died, Jesus received his spirit (Acts 7:59). Jesus was put to death in His human body, but He was made alive in the spirit. That left Jesus free to preach to people who had died and whose spirits were in Hades, the waiting place of the dead that is also called a prison (1 Peter
3:18 & 19) so they could live for God in the spirit (1 Peter 4:6).

The soul is described as the deepest parts of our fallen human nature. It was in the soul where Eve was tempted and where Adam disobeyed God and sinned. It is in the soulish realm where our rebellious sin nature lurks. Our soul, which is our sinful, corrupt character, and our spirit, which is God’s holy character are separate but both live within our mortal bodies.

The spirits of the righteous have been made perfect(Hebrews 12:23). It is the soul that is corrupt. The Word of God – the Bible – divides the carnal nature of the soul from the spirit of God’s character, and of the joints and marrow, which is the body (Hebrews 4:12).

The spirit and the soul return to God after we die, as long as we are believers. Our sinful soul is constantly warring against God’s pure spirit and that is acted out in our bodies (Romans 7:4 to 25).

For the non-believer, the soul and the body are destroyed in Gehenna (Matthew 10:28). The soul of the believer will be preserved, sound and complete along with the spirit and the resurrected body (1 Thessalonians 5:23). That means we will still be body, soul and spirit in the Kingdom of God, but we will have a perfect resurrected body and our soul and spirit will be sound (perfect) and complete.
Re: Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 13, 2013
^^^

Bidam, I want a methodical and careful point by point response to what I consider to be the verities of this post.

Please address the issues as laid out in this article, one by one , and then we can have a proper discourse.

Thanks.
Re: Death Or Resurrection, Which one Is The Christian's Hope - A Scholarly Chat by Nobody: 7:21pm On Apr 13, 2013
The truth is strong and cannot be opposed, I am happy most of the readers of this article have agreed to the logic of this article.

Our hope is the resurrection, not death.

death is our enemy.

smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Seven Woes On The Teachers Of The Law And The PASTORS / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion 22nd Of June, 2013 Of Bondage And Liberty By Pastor E / What Is Deism About? Are deists Considered To Be theist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.