Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? (1008 Views)

Nissan Primera 1999 Model (SE) Vs Toyota Camry Orobo 1996 Model / Hi Guys! Pls Help Me Refurbish/love-vendor Ma Ride. / Usual Faults In Audi A4 1996 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by barakah(m): 8:42pm On Apr 13, 2013
Hello Nairalanders,

Please I've grown so used to my 1996 model Toyota Camry that I can't let go of it just yet.

I however need to do some changes to make this bird a beauty.
I'll be putting in some money to give it a real facelift:-

(1) Changing of the color (Not decided on which color)
(2) Changing the steel wheels to Alloy rims

What other stuff needs to be changed?
Your contributions will greatly be appreciated.
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by baconline(m): 9:57pm On Apr 13, 2013
Post d pixs,does it require much body work,if yes just change d damaged parts DO NOT PANEL BEAT them,also try to maintain d original color,it is better because any scatch and d former will become visible
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Apr 13, 2013
baconline: try to maintain d original color,it is better because any scatch and d former will become visible

That's not true. You don't simply slap the new colour over the old one. The old paint is rubbed down, and primer (basecoat) applied, before the final coat. If the new paint is scratched, the basecoat will show through, depending on how deep the scratch is.

No different to the original colour being scratched, and the original basecoat showing through.
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by barakah(m): 10:53am On Apr 14, 2013
baconline: Post d pixs,does it require much body work,if yes just change d damaged parts DO NOT PANEL BEAT them,also try to maintain d original color,it is better because any scatch and d former will become visible

The car doesn't require any body work but I'll make sure I replace failing or weak parts.
I prefer to do an oven baking of the body of the car as opposed to the regular spraying with auto base.
I've seen so many different colors of the 1996 model Camry and I'm at a loss to which one to choose for a color change.

Siena:

That's not true. You don't simply slap the new colour over the old one. The old paint is rubbed down, and primer (basecoat) applied, before the final coat. If the new paint is scratched, the basecoat will show through, depending on how deep the scratch is.

No different to the original colour being scratched, and the original basecoat showing through.

NOTED!
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by Nobody: 11:05am On Apr 14, 2013
barakah: I've seen so many different colors of the 1996 model Camry and I'm at a loss to which one to choose for a color change.

As a general rule when doing a colour change, I would not pick a colour that's already available on my particular car. It seems pointless - you're probably striving to make your Camry unique, why pick a colour that is already offered by Toyota? It would be easier to sell your car, and buy the colour you want, if that were the case.

I would advice you pick a colour you've never seen on a Camry, to make your car stand out from the rest. Also bear in mind, you'll have to have the engine and transmission removed, as well as all items in the engine bay, so the engine bay can be properly prepared and painted. Nothing as horrible as having let's say a factory green car, you change the colour to red, then each time you lift the hood, the red contrasts horribly with the green engine bay.

1 Like

Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by cretin: 4:00pm On Apr 14, 2013
try retrofitting the a blacked out headlights of the 09 camry [spyder] into the car...i guess it wud make it stand out grin grin grin
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by barakah(m): 11:36am On Apr 17, 2013
cretin: try retrofitting the a blacked out headlights of the 09 camry [spyder] into the car...i guess it wud make it stand out grin grin grin
How's that possible?
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by barakah(m): 11:17am On May 15, 2013
I'm still at it oh!
More ideas please.
Re: Want To Refurbish My 1996 Model Toyota Camry - Any Ideas? by timbros(m): 5:27pm On May 16, 2013
cretin: try retrofitting the a blacked out headlights of the 09 camry [spyder] into the car...i guess it wud make it stand out grin grin grin

Please can you throw more light on this?

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes Benz C 180 1997 / Price Of Audi A6 Body Valve Transmission / New Engine For My Baby Boy 99 Model, 4 Plugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.