Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Mixing Business With Family - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mixing Business With Family (675 Views)

Nigeria Bilionaire Femi Otedola Got Painted With Family By Nigerian Artist / I Started This Business With Only #3000 / Why I Sometimes Hesitate With Doing Bussiness With Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixing Business With Family by FufuKing(m): 3:43pm On Apr 16, 2013
Hello, I'm looking to go into business with a family member of mine, and I want to see if anyone has any experiences , good or bad.

Thanks in advance
Re: Mixing Business With Family by seun0622(m): 5:34pm On Apr 16, 2013
@op
what is your relationship with the person, why are u doing business with the person, btw,doing biz with close friends and relatives doesn't bring reasonable result most of the time from my experience. It s better u do business with people you can fire if need be and do not also do business with people you re emotionally attached to.
Re: Mixing Business With Family by FufuKing(m): 5:44pm On Apr 16, 2013
seun0622: @op
what is your relationship with the person, why are u doing business with the person, btw,doing biz with close friends and relatives doesn't bring reasonable result most of the time from my experience. It s better u do business with people you can fire if need be and do not also do business with people you re emotionally attached to.

My cousin, we get along well, he has offered to help me out with the business because its being started in Nigeria but I don't live there unlike him (i do visit a lot) so he could maintain it.
Re: Mixing Business With Family by seun0622(m): 7:25pm On Apr 16, 2013
From personal experience and lessons learnt from other people who have done biz with their close relatives especially those that are not in Nigeria like you, the story hasn't been encouraging most of the time. The mere fact that you get along doesnt guarantee proper management of the business. Believe me ,people change when money and big money is involved. If you insist he manages the business for you, what monitoring mechanism have you adopted ? Is he experienced in that line of business? Can u fire him if he mis-manages the business? If he decides to leave the business, do u have contingency plans. If you can answer all these questions in the affirmative, then maybe he s the right guy.
Regards.
Re: Mixing Business With Family by FufuKing(m): 5:53am On Apr 17, 2013
seun0622: From personal experience and lessons learnt from other people who have done biz with their close relatives especially those that are not in Nigeria like you, the story hasn't been encouraging most of the time. The mere fact that you get along doesnt guarantee proper management of the business. Believe me ,people change when money and big money is involved. If you insist he manages the business for you, what monitoring mechanism have you adopted ? Is he experienced in that line of business? Can u fire him if he mis-manages the business? If he decides to leave the business, do u have contingency plans. If you can answer all these questions in the affirmative, then maybe he s the right guy.
Regards.

You're right, I guess I'll think about it a lot more.
Thank you!

(1) (Reply)

Blind Government - CBN To Change Polymer Naira Notes To Paper / Financial Trust Company Limited (FTC) Announces It’s Board Of Directors. / How To Discover Your Purpose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.