Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,573 members, 7,770,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:09 AM

Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? (23096 Views)

Female Graduate Is A Taxi Driver In Abuja (photos) / How Much Do A Graduate Teacher Collected As Monthly Salary / Contract Staffs In Bank; Is It A Viable Job For A Graduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by bebe2(f): 9:48pm On Apr 16, 2013
a few days ago i posted an ad for bakery workers(Bakery is in nigeria), got a few responds but i noticed they were all graduates.
they were very enthusiastic and wanted to work but i cudnt bear the tot of having a degree holder do menial jobs and i cant pay them.

i just got my first degree from a university here in manchester, went to see my uni for career advice and the lady specifically told me that being a graduate is not enough, i needed other skill for my cv to stand out.

now my question is, shud this be a public message in nigeria? whateveru want to read/study u shud also consider having vocational skills.

carpenters and plumbers can earn upto 40k per annum in the uk, but entry level salary for most graduate jobs range between 18-21k before tax o.
hope i got my point across cheesy
over to u great thinkers

over to u guys

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Ferdinandu(m): 12:15am On Apr 17, 2013
Having a vocational skill is one of the greatest thing that can happen to any Nigerian Graduate,it helps to have something to rely on while waiting for the ever elusive white collar job or else you see yourself desperate to pick a job meant for O levels and below.Undergraduates here in Nigeria always makes the mistake of thinking " my own will be different,i will be highly favored",until they graduate and the reality hit them on the face.The rate of new jobs to fresh graduates in Nigeria is so low that the best advice to any undergraduate is to always to have a back up plan

12 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by bebe2(f): 10:09am On Apr 17, 2013
Ferdinandu: Having a vocational skill is one of the greatest thing that can happen to any Nigerian Graduate,it helps to have something to rely on while waiting for the ever elusive white collar job or else you see yourself desperate to pick a job meant for O levels and below.Undergraduates here in Nigeria always makes the mistake of thinking " my own will be different,i will be highly favored",until they graduate and the reality hit them on the face.The rate of new jobs to fresh graduates in Nigeria is so low that the best advice to any undergraduate is to always to have a back up plan

thanks for ur input,
am surprised this topic is not hot, is that mentality of "my case will be different"

everybody want white collar jobs.
pple shud be actively encouraged to take vocational studies seriously
being jobless is not an easy experience o

2 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by 32D: 10:14am On Apr 17, 2013
[size=16pt]this is 2013, any undergraduate or jobless graduate that does not know skill acquisition is d way forward is a very biggggggggggggggg LEARNER[/size]

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by nairaman66(m): 10:17am On Apr 17, 2013
Quite alrite! Career Advisor, Manchester, UK, Skill Aquisition!!

Those words are big things here in Nigeria ooO!! Abeg make I continue my job search jwo.., I don comb all Ikeja areas.. Na to enta downtown Apapa grin!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by SincereBigot: 10:20am On Apr 17, 2013
yeah.. you need to get good bed skilss lipsrsealed
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by sinmisolaoluwa: 10:20am On Apr 17, 2013
yes....being a graduate is nt jst enough ooo...skills does it,cos u might find yrself anywhere..

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by GraceBestowed(f): 10:20am On Apr 17, 2013
What is good for the goose, may not be good for the gander. Some people thrive on just being educated, some on being skilled, and with others, it could be both. All that matters is that we're willing to work towards being productive.

I never look down on another person's hustle, because success, and accomplishment, can land on anyone's door, regardless of what they do.

19 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Akpaife(m): 10:22am On Apr 17, 2013
Everybody wat 2 work wht abt farming u guys tin dat educated piple dnt farm becos we hav oil let's go back 2 farming n other tins nt only govt work,govt wiLl provide work 4 everybody 2 be honest our govt is 1 of d best bt only problem is dat them thief our money in billions

3 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by ffo(m): 10:22am On Apr 17, 2013
I believe i would not been employed if i dont have skills. ALl the jobs offers i got has to do with my skills. I believe acquiring skills plays a vital role in securing job. Even if you secure a job immediately after your NYSC, you will be able to lay your hand on something.

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by immaq8(f): 10:23am On Apr 17, 2013
Vocational job like cobbler? Jxt asking... grin
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by moshoodn(m): 10:23am On Apr 17, 2013
As a biochemist, I also got IT skills to complement it...

Pays off a lot.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by tejpot(m): 10:24am On Apr 17, 2013
Many will not get it straight. Saying things like, job is waiting for them on the favour market. Pls get it across to undergraduates, its not just business that needs alternative plans for growth, Nigerian graduateS now need it more.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by double08(m): 10:26am On Apr 17, 2013
moshoodn: As a biochemist, I also got IT skills to complement it...

Pays off a lot.

what IT skills?
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 17, 2013
bebe2: a few days ago i posted an ad for bakery workers, got a few responds but i noticed they were all graduates.
they were very enthusiastic and wanted to work but i cudnt bear the tot of having a degree holder do menial jobs and i cant pay them.

i just got my first degree from a university here in manchester, went to see my uni for career advice and the lady specifically told me that being a graduate is not enough, i needed other skill for my cv to stand out.

now my question is, shud this be a public message in nigeria? whateveru want to read/study u shud also consider having vocational skills.

carpenters and plumbers can earn upto 40k per annum in the uk, but entry level salary for most graduate jobs range between 18-21k before tax o.
hope i got my point across cheesy
over to u great thinkers
over to u guys

I agree with you but your story may not be complete. I am sure the people that applied for your bakery job are mostly not British and they probably went to some community college. If they are foreigners, they probably are in the UK illegally and just need whatever job to survive. I just want to point out that most British graduates wouldnt apply to work in your bakery.

But you are right about acquiring skills. I was reading a post yesterday and a young graduate was asking whether to go for a Masters or Professional course. And I thought, don't these people get tired of adding extra certificates? The certificates they already have, they have no clue how they will make a living from it, yet they want another certificate. Our young people should learn to have other skills and more importantly solve problems. You must remember that people pay you for solving a problem or meeting a need. Whether by providing a service or launching a product, you are meeting someone's need or solving a problem. Our young graduates should focus on those and there are lots of good business opportunities in Nigeria if only people could think out of the box. I agree capital might be an issue but the orientation needs to change from acquiring degrees to problem solving.

13 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by 2bosun: 10:30am On Apr 17, 2013
A lot of factors come into play when it comes to getting the job offer. It can have to do with skills acquired while in university through part-time job etc.- sometimes employers just want to see that you can adapt easily to a professional environment; unfortuately most students are not willing to do menial jobs to start with.

The calibre of the university attended can also have a lot to do when it come to getting a job especially in the Western World where there are clear differences in rankings of universities.

Everything boils down to how you package and intergrate all these elements into your life as an individual; I wasn't finished with my degree and got a job offer over someone with about 6 years experience, all I had was a 9-month internship with a multi-national; so I think it comes down to us as individuals. One formula cannot work for everyone- that's too easy.

3 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Lilimax(f): 10:33am On Apr 17, 2013
32-D:
[size=16pt]this is 2013, any undergraduate or jobless graduate that does not know skill acquisition is d way forward is a very biggggggggggggggg LEARNER[/size]
As an Industrial Chemist, I've worked in my field of study for 10yrs and still not fullfilled. Presently, and I am acquiring a skill in fashion and designing even while still working. To me, having a skill is one key to fullfilment in life.

6 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by 32D: 10:33am On Apr 17, 2013
double08:

I see you guyz are reserving space angry your mates are buying landed property in GRA's you are here reserving space in nairaland for number 4 to comment, smh for you angry angry angry
worry about urself....u dun chop?
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by emandman: 10:34am On Apr 17, 2013
moshoodn: As a biochemist, I also got IT skills to complement it...

Pays off a lot.
u studied biochemistry,different frm being a biochemist brother!

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Nobody: 10:35am On Apr 17, 2013
It's not really given much consideration in Nigeria because of the paradigm on which our society view on status is built upon. They see people with white collar jobs as more sophisticated compared to others who engage in the later.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by NigerianAsshole(f): 10:35am On Apr 17, 2013
One man dance, them pay am money. Anoda man dance, them beat am. What am sayin is one thing does not apply to everybody #A§§holeadvice

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by creativemusic: 10:35am On Apr 17, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by hotwax: 10:36am On Apr 17, 2013
Its true. But many Nigerian graduates will hate you for saying this.
They just believe they can go to the university, finish and start harassing the governmentt for job as if they kept a job with the government.
Most of them just believe in finishing school and sitting down in one office carrying files up and down.

Imagine my sister is reading "Local Government studies" in OAU. I told her to go and learn Fashion design cuz she has the background from our mum. She refused and believe she is gonna end up in a bank.

The problem is: Nigerians put value on certificates. Nobody cares if you actually know anything.

Many banks contract their DBA administration to Indian and other foreign expert. And funny enough, those banks has have in-house database experts. Despite that they will go for foreigners. Why? The recruitment process was based on certificate and not expertise.

Is it that we dont have database gurus in Nigeria? No, we have, that is when HND versus BSCe war starts again. We cherish certificate and not knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by adewasco2k(m): 10:37am On Apr 17, 2013
I second acquiring skills to compliment your educational qualifications, it might not necessarily be a skill along your field anyway....but yea, some are lucky that they don't have any skill and yet get good jobs with just their certificates...but most have very good grades.. If you don't have a good grade and no skill....you are so gonna pray and fast for a job..lol

I am a graduate of Agricultural economics but its my website development, graphic and general computer engineering skills that have been sailing me through the whole naija thing.....I'm so proud of myself right now.

7 Likes

Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by 32D: 10:41am On Apr 17, 2013
Lilimax: As an Industrial Chemist, I've worked in my field of study for 10yrs and still not fullfilled. Presently, and I am acquiring a skill in fashion and designing even while still working. To me, having a skill is one key to fullfilment in life.
it is o
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by wealthpos(f): 10:42am On Apr 17, 2013
Peeps...PLease can someone tell me the best out of this three skills....1.Language 2.Agriculture 3.music.

Please be specific when replying..Thanks
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by moshoodn(m): 10:45am On Apr 17, 2013
e mandman:
u studied biochemistry,different frm being a biochemist brother!

Break it down for me please....
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by AmeLonRo(m): 10:49am On Apr 17, 2013
Skil knowledge is key even on the job. Online skills are also skills. Take em seriously. grin smiley wink grin
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by Lilimax(f): 10:52am On Apr 17, 2013
wealthpos: Peeps...PLease can someone tell me the best out of this three skills....1.Language 2.Agriculture 3.music.

Please be specific when replying..Thanks
Language. Major in French to give you a competitive edge.
Re: Being A Graduate Is Not Enough! You Need Skills? by hopedavid(f): 10:53am On Apr 17, 2013
I agree too. It gets depressing when you keep writing exams and applying everywhere you can, yet no response and most jobs is by who knows who again. I studied computer science and now I wanna start taking tailoring class.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures Of Women Doing Brick Laying / Is It Right For A Pastor Work In An Alcohol Manufacturing Company? / Daughter Of Hospital Cleaner In South Africa Becomes A Medical Doctor (photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.