Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,830 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:40 AM

AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners (21444 Views)

List Of AMAA 2015 Winners / Full List Of 2015 African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA) Nominees / AMVCA 2013: Full List Of Winners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 21, 2013
Ejiné: Screenshot from the South African animated movie, Adventures In Zambezia:

I wonder when us Nigerians would be doing Animations? Or are we going to be eternally stuck in these cheap, substandard Tonto and Ini Edo movies?

When are we truly going to embrace the beautiful art that is animation? Or is it just out of reach for our creative intelligence?

Way back in 2003, I watched another beautiful traditionally animated African-themed movie called "Kirikou", and absolutely loved it. Fast-forward to 2013, and not a single international-standard animated film has been made in Nigeria.

We dey too busy dey talk about how "big" Nollywood is, when this size is only accounted by the quantity of watery waste we shoot out, not necessarily the quality.

How many special-effects houses do we have yet? After all these years?
Or are we going to have to re-invent the wheel?

Looks like a ripoff version of Madagascar
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 3:13pm On Apr 21, 2013
Wtf! Where's my darling Phone swap? undecided

That aside, how can a movie that has been banned be nominated for any official award in the country it was banned? Where does that happen? Chei! This shows how much Nigerians have no regard for any rule whatsoever....and later they will be shouting dictatorship rule without knowing they've even abused democracy. So Much lawlessness!
Hey, before quoting me, note I'm not trying to justify the ban on the movie...but once a law is made, you obey! That's how a country works. I don't blame them though, since there's no regulatory body to even sanction AMAA....smh
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 3:19pm On Apr 21, 2013
Ejiné: Screenshot from the South African animated movie, Adventures In Zambezia:

I wonder when us Nigerians would be doing Animations? Or are we going to be eternally stuck in these cheap, substandard Tonto and Ini Edo movies?

When are we truly going to embrace the beautiful art that is animation? Or is it just out of reach for our creative intelligence?

Way back in 2003, I watched another beautiful traditionally animated African-themed movie called "Kirikou", and absolutely loved it. Fast-forward to 2013, and not a single international-standard animated film has been made in Nigeria.

We dey too busy dey talk about how "big" Nollywood is, when this size is only accounted by the quantity of watery waste we shoot out, not necessarily the quality.

Blah blah blah....as usual! What Nigerians know how to do best is to open their mouth and close it.
Abeg clear for road make I Pass angry
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 3:21pm On Apr 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

You can tell that from one screenshot?
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 21, 2013
VillageBoi:

You can tell that from one screenshot?

I can see where she is coming from.

It looks like Rio to me
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by sweetcheecks(f): 3:35pm On Apr 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Are you for real? And you can see a rippoff movie from one still picture? What was ripped off really the colours of the birds and baskets? You do not sieze to amaze undecided undecided
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Ejine(m): 3:44pm On Apr 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

It's still a decent start. You have to start from somewhere.
The Academy Award movie of the year 2005, "Departed", was a rip-off of the Japanese movie "Infernal Affairs". Nothing wrong with imitating a concept as long as you don't end up pooping all over the original film with mediocrity. LOL.

I've lost count how many "Romeo and Juliet" movies Nollywood has churned out, not forgetting many poorly-titled movies like "Sharon Stone", "Blackberry Babes", "Bold 5 Babes" and "Fazebook Babes", so originality is not exactly on our side either.

The thing about animation (whether claymation, 2D-animated or 3D CGI) is that it REALLY requires talent and visual skill to bring your thoughts and inaminate objects to life. Our live-action movies do not.

I'm tired of watching Tonto Dikeh's bleaching face, or Ini Edo's hairy chest, abeg.

I'm an architect myself, but pulling artists who think like me would have to involve me relocating to Lagos and taking a serious gamble.

One of these days though, I might just assemble a team.

Watch out.

Oh... By the way... I think it looks more like a rip-off of Rio grin
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Ejine(m): 3:47pm On Apr 21, 2013
speedyboi:

Blah blah blah....as usual! What Nigerians know how to do best is to open their mouth and close it.
Abeg clear for road make I Pass angry

E be like say dem point gun for your head tell you say you must comment, shebi?
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 21, 2013
Ejiné:

The Academy Award movie of the year 2005, "Departed", was a rip-off of the Japanese movie "Infernal Affairs". Nothing wrong with imitating a concept as long as you don't end up pooping all over the original film with mediocrity. LOL.

I've lost count how many "Romeo and Juliet" movies Nollywood has churned out, not forgetting many poorly-titled movies like "Sharon Stone", "Blackberry Babes", "Bold 5 Babes" and "Fazebook Babes", so originality is not exactly on our side either.

The thing about animation (whether claymation, 2D-animated or 3D CGI) is that it REALLY requires talent and visual skill to bring your thoughts and inaminate objects to life. Our live-action movies do not.

I'm tired of watching Tonto Dikeh's bleaching face, or Ini Edo's hairy chest, abeg.

I'm an architect myself, but pulling artists who think like me would have to involve me relocating to Lagos and taking a serious gamble.

Watch out.

@bolded, now you are just talking! I hope its not just noise anyways, cos I noticed the empty barrels are the ones who always complain and whine about virtually everything on nairaland. My fingers are crossed though...

1 Like

Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 21, 2013
Ejiné:

Watch out.

I hope you do.

After years avoiding Nollywood movies, I tried watching one (Sex in the city) a couple of days ago, I was literally like "what da phuck kinda movie is this?".

I hope our animated movies and cartoons, if we ever get around to creating them, aren't as copy-and-paste or overly plotted around romance as our nollywood movies.
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 21, 2013
sweetcheecks:

Are you for real? And you can see a rippoff movie from one still picture? What was ripped off really the colours of the birds and baskets? You do not sieze to amaze undecided undecided

How can I seize to amaze someone I don't even know on NL?
Seriously, who are you?
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by gistyinka(m): 4:36pm On Apr 21, 2013
congrats to all the winners..
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I hope you do.

After years avoiding Nollywood movies, I tried watching one (Sex in the city) a couple of days ago, I was literally like "what da phuck kinda movie is this?".

I hope our animated movies and cartoons, if we ever get around to creating them, aren't as copy-and-paste or overly plotted around romance as our nollywood movies.

You brought it on your self. If you wanna see how far Nollywood has improved in film making, go to the cinema, then let's hear the issues you still have. smiley

Even if you keep your fingers crossed for the animation of our friend(Ejine), you won't get to see what it looks like Cos it prolly won't get released on DVD in a long time. And even if it eventually does, many peeps are waiting for it, so you might not get to buy it. My advice, stop buying alaba films and go to the cinema!!!!! Cheers smiley

1 Like

Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 5:57pm On Apr 21, 2013
adaobi123:
I can see where she is coming from.
It looks like Rio to me

Ejiné:

I do understand that almost everything is influnced by something else. Practically every 'shot' in every movie can be found in a different movie, however, from ONE still shot as Sweetcheeks has also mentioned...

sweetcheecks:

...you cannot specifically say the whole movie is a rip off of movie A, B or C until you watch it... just saying.

If you say the 'single' still reminds you of so, so and so then fair enough.

Hopefully you all will find the 'Everything is a Remix' videos to be interesting... (I think Part 2 covers film)

Everything is a Remix - Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP468k1u_Mk

Everything is a Remix - Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HuenDPZw0

Everything is a Remix - Part 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq5D43qAsVg

Everything is a Remix - Part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAmmtCJxJJY
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 7:55pm On Apr 21, 2013
^^^^^^Villageboi smiley

I've noticed anytime I'm too lazy to reply some comments, someone always comes to save the day with a better explanation grin
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by dabossman(m): 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2013

Bro, how easy is it to produce an animated movie in a country that has no stable power? Do you know how many hours it will take to render out even a 10min photoreal animation, not to talk of feature length? You'll probably need to buy 20 tanker loads of diesel to power the 5 Mikano generators that will do the job none stop. Who go put down that kind money? And even if one did, what is the assurance of making back your money with Alaba boys around the corner.

I know a number of good animators, but without the required resources, what can they do?

2 Likes

Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 8:49pm On Apr 21, 2013
speedyboi:
^^^^^^Villageboi smiley
I've noticed anytime I'm too lazy to reply some comments, someone always comes to save the day with a better explanation grin

That's why it sometimes is a pretty good community here at NairaLand! grin
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 9:04pm On Apr 21, 2013
Well 'Adventures In Zambezia' doesn't seem like a rip off to me and I can't wait to see it.

STORYLINE: Set in a bustling bird city on the edge of the majestic Victoria Falls, "Zambezia" is the story of Kai - a naïve, but high-spirited young falcon who travels to the bird city of "Zambezia" where he discovers the truth about his origins and, in defending the city, learns how to be part of a community.

Voiced by - Jeff Goldblum, Samuel L Jackson, Jenifer Lewis & others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVcjdEe0c8
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 9:15pm On Apr 21, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

I stumbled across the 'Graphics' section and there is a ton of pure copy-and-paste of manga stuff there. We really do need to be original in our story-telling... I hear your pain.
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 21, 2013
VillageBoi:
Well 'Adventures In Zambezia' doesn't seem like a rip off to me and I can't wait to see it.

STORYLINE: Set in a bustling bird city on the edge of the majestic Victoria Falls, "Zambezia" is the story of Kai - a naïve, but high-spirited young falcon who travels to the bird city of "Zambezia" where he discovers the truth about his origins and, in defending the city, learns how to be part of a community.

Voiced by - Jeff Goldblum, Samuel L Jackson, Jenifer Lewis & others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwVcjdEe0c8

judging from the comments on the video, those who watched it claim it's crappy. and from the trailer, I might just believe 'em....If the movie is really crappy, then its ridiculous for someone to use it as a yardstick to ridicule another industry.

meanwhile, I think i might be surprising you guys soon wink. Ejine especially grin
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 21, 2013
daguru: wait o,i no see Tonto Dikeh name for here,OP wetin happen?
Una Wan Talk Say Una No Know Say Tonto Dikeh Dey 4 Her House Abi
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 11:16pm On Apr 21, 2013
speedyboi:
judging from the comments on the video, those who watched it claim it's crappy. and from the trailer, I might just believe 'em....If the movie is really crappy, then its ridiculous for someone to use it as a yardstick to ridicule another industry.

I hear you but remember it's their first feature film and low budget compared to what animations cost. Personally I'd say a darn good effort and is AFRICAN... can anyone point me to a feature length African animation? Shamefully I have not kept in the animation loop.
For this film I wouldn't be too harsh on them and I also chuckle, giggle wouldn't go by 'Youtubers' comments lol (I'm not sure if those were the comments you meant). Pretty sure these first-timers will improve their craft. Not many 'first-time' African filmmakers come out with something that is even 'almost' perfect.

Here is a more positive review and I'm still definitely going to watch it. http://www.toonzone.net/2013/03/review-adventures-zambezia-offers-well-worn-but-enjoyable-family-fun/#.UXRh34JAuU0

speedyboi: meanwhile, I think i might be surprising you guys soon wink. Ejine especially grin

Ooh nice one bro... you're working on a film? Do spill the beans!
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 12:14am On Apr 22, 2013
All i did was to make use of my 'google search' box and..........BOOM!

Here you go:
Lifespan Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85lccj7trY

The Mark Of Uru Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9h4IcL_xxc

Chicken Core: The Rise Of Kings (A Short Film) - This is pretty funny to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tI8RfN2iTA

Yea....I know what y'all have in mind. but, I will really love to see the finished product of LIFESPAN....me too don attach pincshure (screen shot), make i hear the kind rip off e be grin

Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 12:20am On Apr 22, 2013
speedyboi: All i did was to make use of my 'google search' box and..........BOOM!

Here you go:
Lifespan Teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H85lccj7trY

The Mark Of Uru Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9h4IcL_xxc

Chicken Core: The Rise Of Kings (A Short Film) - This is pretty funny to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tI8RfN2iTA

Yea....I know what y'all have in mind. but, I will really love to see the finished product of LIFESPAN....me too don attach pincshure (screen shot), make i hear the kind rip off e be grin

Garbage
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 12:30am On Apr 22, 2013
VillageBoi:
Ooh nice one bro... you're working on a film? Do spill the beans!

uhh? Me ke? grin grin grin grin grin I wish
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Nobody: 12:32am On Apr 22, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

Garbage

Is that a movie too? Make i ask google cheesy
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 1:28am On Apr 22, 2013
speedyboi: I will really love to see the finished product of LIFESPAN....me too don attach pincshure (screen shot), make i hear the kind rip off e be grin

Na 'Clash Of The Titans' them rip off 100%... that thing with wings is a pure copy of Pegasus the flying horse lololol.
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 1:29am On Apr 22, 2013
speedyboi:
uhh? Me ke? grin grin grin grin grin I wish

Sure you can make a movie... I go join you.
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by ukachibright: 7:44am On Apr 22, 2013
alpha conde: My problem is that one can't find those films to buy in the open market. I love african films
twin sword is out oo
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Fukup(m): 9:24am On Apr 22, 2013
Eze Promoe:
As in the corpse will be exhumed and reburied with the award undecided
oh jeez.lmao
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by Abiolachiefo(m): 10:26am On Apr 22, 2013
Eze Promoe:
As in the corpse will be exhumed and reburied with the award undecided

How i wish u were standing next to me..... And i had a 32 mm russian revolver....
Re: AMAA 2013 Full List Of Winners by VillageBoi(m): 11:11am On Apr 22, 2013
speedyboi: judging from the comments on the video, those who watched it claim it's crappy. and from the trailer, I might just believe 'em....If the movie is really crappy, then its ridiculous for someone to use it as a yardstick to ridicule another industry.

I've just watched 'Zambezia' and must say it was actually pretty, pretty good and I enjoyed it a lot (surprising as I'm not really into animation sef). If my first feature film turns out to be that good I would be very, very happy.
If you can, watch it and let me know what you think.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Film Producer Arrested / BBTitans: How Viewers Voted For Jaypee, Lukay, BlaqLeng, Maya / Three Nollywood Movie Pirates Arrested At Alaba Market [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.