Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Use Of Homophones, Punctuation, And Other Blunders In Linguistic - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Use Of Homophones, Punctuation, And Other Blunders In Linguistic (623 Views)

25 Homophones That Most Spell-checkers Won’t Catch [part 2] / 25 Homophones That Most Spell-checkers Won’t Catch [part 1] / Top Ten Grammatical Blunders Made By Patience Jonathan. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Use Of Homophones, Punctuation, And Other Blunders In Linguistic by dkc(m): 3:08pm On Apr 21, 2013
I think our younger generations are having real problems with use the of English Language and its quite disturbing. I often receive text messages like:
1. "...'waist' my time..." instead of "...'waste' my time..." cry
2. "... see you 'letter'..." instead of "... see you 'later'..." cry
3. you 'own' me instead of 'owe' me, etc shocked
The emphasis being on the word in apostrophe. And lots of mistakes I can't remember now. Punctuation is also a problem with them and other linguistic blunders. I even take the pains to correct some of them except the pompous. These mistakes are common among our younger generations in secondary and universities and it's quite pathetic. I wonder what they teach them. Please share your experience.

(1) (Reply)

2013 Ala International Youth Day Essay Competition / Agina Victor: Plunge Into The Sea – Face The Sharks! / How To Write About Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.