Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,723 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:06 AM

What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions (3921 Views)

The Pros And Cons Of Using A Hybrid Vehicle In Nigeria / Need Urgent Advice on Toyota D4(1az Fse) 2.0l Vvt-i Engine.It's pros & Cons? / What Are The Pros, Cons And Costs Of Buying Salvaged Cars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by cunlay007(m): 8:26pm On Apr 21, 2013
Please can any auto guru give me the pros & cos of this pathfinder........help needed
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by cunlay007(m): 8:50pm On Apr 21, 2013
pls ur suggestions are needed
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Davico(m): 3:39pm On Apr 22, 2013
Good and reliable but consumes fuel

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by cunlay007(m): 8:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
Thanks davinco becos am considering selling the suv once it lands pls need more suggestions
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Nobody: 11:11pm On Apr 22, 2013
The four cylinder variants have lethargic performance but slightly better fuel economy. The 3.5L V6 unit (which is the same engine used in the 02-04 nissan maxima and its infiniti clone,the i35) does a better job of moving this heavy vehicle but its thirsty though. Make sure u check the transmission fluid of the automatic gearbox...4wd variants can be used on dry pavements cuz it has a full time 4wd system, this generation of the pathfinder was the last to come with a live axle suspension on the rear...which is excellent for offroading. Overall, its a reliable vehicle...
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by cunlay007(m): 9:50pm On Apr 23, 2013
platinumricky: The four cylinder variants have lethargic performance but slightly better fuel economy. The 3.5L V6 unit (which is the same engine used in the 02-04 nissan maxima and its infiniti clone,the i35) does a better job of moving this heavy vehicle but its thirsty though. Make sure u check the transmission fluid of the automatic gearbox...4wd variants can be used on dry pavements cuz it has a full time 4wd system, this generation of the pathfinder was the last to come with a live axle suspension on the rear...which is excellent for offroading. Overall, its a reliable vehicle...

Thanks broo got ur detailed suggestion pls I need more

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by cunlay007(m): 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2013
Any more infor on this topic
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Nobody: 11:14pm On Apr 27, 2013
platinumricky: The four cylinder variants have lethargic performance but slightly better fuel economy. The 3.5L V6 unit (which is the same engine used in the 02-04 nissan maxima and its infiniti clone,the i35) does a better job of moving this heavy vehicle but its thirsty though. Make sure u check the transmission fluid of the automatic gearbox...4wd variants can be used on dry pavements cuz it has a full time 4wd system, this generation of the pathfinder was the last to come with a live axle suspension on the rear...which is excellent for offroading. Overall, its a reliable vehicle...
sorry sir, I haven't seen or heard anywhere that Nissan Pathfinder 2000 model comes with a factory installed 4cylinder engine; even if they do u know that this truck is heavy even though its classified as a 'light duty truck'
Besides, i don't think these trucks employ live axles which u opined. It has two engine options which are 3.3 L VG33E V6 rated at 168BHP and 3.5L V6 which is known as VQ35DE. The 3.5L V6 is rated 240BHP and is on wards record of worlds best engine for 10 years the 3.3L V6 uses a timing belt, and its power is way too under-rated to effectively power the truck thus making sluggish acceleration one of its major weakness
while the 3.5L V6 is a better engine and its newer, and my God this engine gathers speed quicker than u'd expect. It uses a timing chain and this engine is shared with the pathfinder's luxury sibling QX4 and later in FX35 infiniti and surprisingly, in 2013 Nissan dropped the 4.0 V6 power plant and re-adopted the 3.5L V6 VQ35DE. Pathfinder isn't a body on frame construction which u find in 4runners, it is a monocoque (unibody construction), macpherson struts in front and multi link rear suspension which soaks up uneveness on the road when driving and these inturn translates to better driving dynamics. It comes in either rear wheel drive or all wheel drive with the SE models having a 'shift by fly' transfer, While the up scale model LE and platinum have a knob which is used to shift. Its 4wd transfer makes use of four driving modes: 2HI, 4HI, 4LO,AUTO meaning u can use 4wd mode on dry pavements. It has either 4speed auto or 5speed manual. For interior space, its modest for 5 passengers with a driver and front passenger and 3 rear seat occupants but let me confess that the rear seats aren't spacious enough and for very tall huge people and the rear doors could be quite small for passengers but u won't notice it. Having said all these, the pathfinder is a good truck this I know because I use a QX4 infiniti @ present which is basically a dressed-up pathfinder slapped with a higher price tag. Its engine could be 'slightly' thirsty than u'd expect but it doesn't mean u'll need to work in CBN to own one.
Besides, Its cheap to run and maintain. its a well designed vehicle but try the QX4 if ur looking for a much upscale offroad capable vehicle that won't need u to break a bank. NB. Pls if ur still interested in buying this truck go with a trusted competent mechanic and pls go for the 3.5LV6 cos its better and its powerful enough to haul this vehicle, let ur mechanic check for under body rusts, and rusts in the struts and linkage areas, he should also check the gearbox and transfer case and the engine for leaks and other defects. Ask the dealer to give u the VIN check reports from CARFAX if he doesn't pls walk away. check the VIN number of the car to see if it tally with the VIN on d door panels. Cheers! my 2 naira

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Fogman(m): 5:34am On Apr 28, 2013
lomomike: sorry sir, I haven't seen or heard anywhere that Nissan Pathfinder 2000 model comes with a factory installed 4cylinder engine; even if they do u know that this truck is heavy even though its classified as a 'light duty truck'
Besides, i don't think these trucks employ live axles which u opined. It has two engine options which are 3.3 L VG33E V6 rated at 168BHP and 3.5L V6 which is known as VQ35DE. The 3.5L V6 is rated 240BHP and is on wards record of worlds best engine for 10 years the 3.3L V6 uses a timing belt, and its power is way too under-rated to effectively power the truck thus making sluggish acceleration one of its major weakness
while the 3.5L V6 is a better engine and its newer, and my God this engine gathers speed quicker than u'd expect. It uses a timing chain and this engine is shared with the pathfinder's luxury sibling QX4 and later in FX35 infiniti and surprisingly, in 2013 Nissan dropped the 4.0 V6 power plant and re-adopted the 3.5L V6 VQ35DE. Pathfinder isn't a body on frame construction which u find in 4runners, it is a monocoque (unibody construction), macpherson struts in front and multi link rear suspension which soaks up uneveness on the road when driving and these inturn translates to better driving dynamics. It comes in either rear wheel drive or all wheel drive with the SE models having a 'shift by fly' transfer, While the up scale model LE and platinum have a knob which is used to shift. Its 4wd transfer makes use of four driving modes: 2HI, 4HI, 4LO,AUTO meaning u can use 4wd mode on dry pavements. It has either 4speed auto or 5speed manual. For interior space, its modest for 5 passengers with a driver and front passenger and 3 rear seat occupants but let me confess that the rear seats aren't spacious enough and for very tall huge people and the rear doors could be quite small for passengers but u won't notice it. Having said all these, the pathfinder is a good truck this I know because I use a QX4 infiniti @ present which is basically a dressed-up pathfinder slapped with a higher price tag. Its engine could be 'slightly' thirsty than u'd expect but it doesn't mean u'll need to work in CBN to own one.
Besides, Its cheap to run and maintain. its a well designed vehicle but try the QX4 if ur looking for a much upscale offroad capable vehicle that won't need u to break a bank. NB. Pls if ur still interested in buying this truck go with a trusted competent mechanic and pls go for the 3.5LV6 cos its better and its powerful enough to haul this vehicle, let ur mechanic check for under body rusts, and rusts in the struts and linkage areas, he should also check the gearbox and transfer case and the engine for leaks and other defects. Ask the dealer to give u the VIN check reports from CARFAX if he doesn't pls walk away. check the VIN number of the car to see if it tally with the VIN on d door panels. Cheers! my 2 naira

Very informative. Thanks
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by kolnel: 11:25am On Apr 28, 2013
Pathfinder Is a truck and its very good for off road terrain. It has a truly 4*4.
Apart from that its very thirsty. Even u can't utilize its power cos it can easily roll over.
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Nobody: 12:43pm On Apr 28, 2013
lomomike: sorry sir, I haven't seen or heard anywhere that Nissan Pathfinder 2000 model comes with a factory installed 4cylinder engine.

The Nissan Pathfinder (1996 - 2012) did come with 4 cylinder engines. The 2.5, 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2 TD engines were all I4's.
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 29, 2013
lomomike: sorry sir, I haven't seen or heard anywhere that Nissan Pathfinder 2000 model comes with a factory installed 4cylinder engine; even if they do u know that this truck is heavy even though its classified as a 'light duty truck'
Pre-facelift Nissan Pathfinders came with the 3.3L V6. the 2000-2004 model year variants were face-lifted and upgraded to the 3.5L V6. 2000 model year pathfinders were available with both four and six cylinder variants in both rear and 4WD configurations. the pathfinder and its upscale QX4 sibling both have a live axle on the rear,nissan ditched the live-axle when the next generation pathfinder switched to the 260hp+ 4.0l V6 powerplant. first and 2nd generation pathfinders possess live axles on the rear- the following still use the live axle on the rear; jeep wrangler,mercedes G-wagen,toyota fortuner,4runner,Fj-Cruiser,Landcrusier and even the ford mustang! you said u use a infiniti QX4......what does it use on the rear end? i attached images of live axles below.

Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by cunlay007(m): 4:52pm On Apr 29, 2013
platinumricky:
Pre-facelift Nissan Pathfinders came with the 3.3L V6. the 2000-2004 model year variants were face-lifted and upgraded to the 3.5L V6. 2000 model year pathfinders were available with both four and six cylinder variants in both rear and 4WD configurations. the pathfinder and its upscale QX4 sibling both have a live axle on the rear,nissan ditched the live-axle when the next generation pathfinder switched to the 260hp+ 4.0l V6 powerplant. first and 2nd generation pathfinders possess live axles on the rear- the following still use the live axle on the rear; jeep wrangler,mercedes G-wagen,toyota fortuner,4runner,Fj-Cruiser,Landcrusier and even the ford mustang! you said u use a infiniti QX4......what does it use on the rear end? i attached images of live axles below.

Thanks so much nairalanders are d besties......u guys are so informative
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Burger01(m): 9:00pm On Apr 29, 2013
Good one guys. Please, the live axles, how does it work! What advantages and disadvantages over the other types axles? Btw, which is more fuel efficient in the variants of pathfinders from 97 - 03 models?

Thanks in advance.
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 29, 2013
Burger01: Good one guys. Please, the live axles, how does it work! What advantages and disadvantages over the other types axles? Btw, which is more fuel efficient in the variants of pathfinders from 97 - 03 models?

Thanks in advance.
According to the simplified wikipedia entry; live axle, sometimes called a solid axle, is a type of beam axle suspension system that uses the drive shafts that transmit power to the wheels to connect the wheels laterally so that they move together as a unit.

the live axle is used mainly in Tractors,bulldozers,military trucks,Pick-Ups,Off-roaders and buses. live axle suspensions can tolerate a lot of weight, that's why they are used in heavy duty applications,however, Live axle- equipped vehicles cant compete with vehicles equipped with independent suspensions for handling dynamics, most car makers these days apply IFS (independent front suspension) at the front and live axles at the rear end to strike a sound balance. the mercedes G-wagen,Jeep Wrangler and landrover defender are worshipped in offroading circles because they possess Live-axles all round, this feature in addition to low-range gearing make them unbeatable offroaders.

*live Axles are very durable and can withstand extreme abuse, that's why toyota stubbornly still uses them in the rear suspension of the landcruiser,lexus LX range,the 4runner (and its platform-mates;the LC prado/lexus GX and FJ-Cruiser) because they have fever issues and can stand the test of time.

* live axles are cheaper to manufacture and replace when the need arises.

the main disadvantages of this suspension type are the compromised ride/handling dynamics and the increased fuel comsumption (this suspension setup is heavier than IFS/IRS). as for the pathfinders, the 3.3L V6 and the 3.5L V6 have the same fuel economy figures- Ur best bet are the Inline fours and diesel (If you can find their mechanics) variants.you are better off with a car-based crossover if fuel economy matters a lot to you.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Burger01(m): 5:46am On Apr 30, 2013
@platinumricky, thumbs up. Thanks a mil. Little wonder why 4runner is so rugged.

Have a friend who's been using his 4runner for 3 yrs now and not a single issue. The truck is always ready to go anytime any day, in the rain or in the sun..lol.

Thanks.
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 30, 2013
smiley cool cool cool
Siena:

The Nissan Pathfinder (1996 - 2012) did come with 4 cylinder engines. The 2.5, 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2 TD engines were all I4's.
platinumricky:
[quote author=Siena]

sorry for the mis-information, im still learning n i wanna say thanks for the correction
Re: What Are The Pros & Cons Of Pathfinder 2000.......suggestions by SmartchoicesNG: 11:55am On Jul 10, 2017
Nurey answers gotten

(1) (Reply)

Looking For Tyre Dealers/distributors In Nigeria / Nissan Primera 2000 Manual / Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.