Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

Life Afterwards - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Life Afterwards (3026 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 11:30pm On May 26, 2013
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

For a while, Scarlett was confused and didn’t know what to do or who to tell her predicament to as her wedding day shifted closer and she carried another man’s baby. She’d promised to keep herself till her wedding night but one man had been able to break that resolution and that man had been Josh Riley.

The first guy she’d fallen in love with and the guy who she’d told to wait for her years ago.

He was the same man who had gotten access to her and she’d put her guards down wherever he was concerned.

But now, she carried his baby and he was so ignorant about it and hoped he wouldn’t know anything about it yet, because if he did, she would do as he told her to, most especially now that she didn’t know how to think on her own anymore.

Rea didn’t gloat but tried offering her whatever help she could offer and Scarlett couldn’t be more grateful for a friend like Andrea. She had developed a new relationship with this Mike of a man and he seemed to be a nice man. Rea made him know his limits though and Scarlett knew Rea was far better than her.

She had been so foolish to allow herself to get carried away.

So what if she’d been married to Gabe? She thought. Was this how she was gonna be having an affair with an ungodly man outside marriage? Was this how much she was capable of unfaithfulness? Had she pretended all those 10years to be over Josh whereas, it lurked somewhere in the hidden part of her heart.

She needed time alone and she needed to talk to her mother, but what would she tell her parents who had tried helping her all through her years in college to forget Josh. All the money and love they’d shown her when they moved away from Naperville only to return back to square one

Josh wanting to marry her wasn’t the issue because as much as she loved him and was crazy about him, she wasn’t going to marry him just like that.

But firstly, she knew she had to tell Gabe that they couldn’t go on with the wedding and she was so sorry.

She just hoped she had the courage to tell him at their next outing.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Rea tried as much as possible to look composed when Mike sat beside her and Ryan and Emilia sat opposite them.

This double date wasn’t a good idea but she didn’t want to sound weird to Mike. The poor guy didn’t have any idea about how much she still had feelings for the guy sitting opposite them who looked too good to be true. He wore a black blazer and a tieless shirt inside making her wonder why he didn’t opt for a modeling career. His dirty blonde hair was neatly trimmed and combed while his blue eyes just stood out in his magnificent body.

Who would have known she could still feel this way even after giving her life to Christ.

She had to caution herself and her thoughts or she would have a sleepless night.

His finely chiseled face stared back at her when Mike asked what she would have on the menu and she hoped he would remove her piercing gaze but he didn’t.

Didn’t he mind that Emilia could suspect there was something between them?

“same thing you’re having.’’ She resigned inhaling deeply knowing she wouldn’t enjoy a single bit of this dinner date at all.

The waiter took their orders and Rea shifted closer to Mike, hoping that would make him realize she wasn’t in the mood for eye contact games or footsie either.

The last time they had played footsie, it was at an annual dinner where his uncle had been given a humanitarian award. He’d invited Ryan and Ryan had brought Rea along as his date. And then he knew trouble was brewing when she began teasing him with her toes.

She snapped out of silly thoughts that made her suddenly feel uncomfortable in the restaurant.

Rubbing her palms on her skirt nervously, she tried to focus on something else apart from the distracting figure sitting before her.

‘’so Rea, Mike tells me you went to Evergreen high school.’’ Ryan chiped in with an air of confidence not taking his eyes away from her. ‘’if I do remember clearly, i attended the same school.’’

Rea cocked her eyebrows. He was putting the ball in her court and she wished she could slam it against his face hard! He wanted to play games…, well she was up to it!

“wow!.., you were?’’ she faked a confused look. ‘’and what set was that?’’

‘’same set as yours I believe. Football team’’

“hmmmn, so what role did you play in the football team?’’ she added with spite. ‘’water boy?’’

Mike choked on his water and Rea could only smile when she saw the amused look on her boyfriend’s face, whereas, Ryan’s eyes were filled with anger.

Well, he had started it all in the first place.

“that’s Rea for you, you need an extra pair of sneakers to keep up with her.’’ Mike chipped in still laughing at her previous response to his best friend.

“it’s okay.’’ Ryan’s lips curved into a smile. ‘’I heard you dated someone in the team. You must have known how to pick guys.’’

Emilia’s eyebrows were raised. ‘’why do I think you two know each other so much more than hi and hello?’’

Rea ignored her.

“well, at that time, I didn’t know he was a block head till he proved to be one.’’ Rea smiled at Ryan sweetly and turned to her boyfriend. ‘’you know how it is for a guy to date a bimbo, I guess that’s how it was for me. you never know what you have with you till the true colours start revealing itself.’’

Mike responded. ‘’True’’ And continued proudly. ‘’but my friend here was the hot one in the team. That reminds me, I need to check out your year book. I missed out on so many old friends when I traveled to France.’’

“sure. At least you’ll get to see lots of pictures of my high school years, including the girl I took to Prom.’’ He smiled at Rea

Rea swallowed knowing he had her right where he wanted her. she had been the one he took to Prom, she had been the one he dated in their final year in high school and so many pictures including graduating ones that they had both snapped together.

She still even had the pictures back at home.

She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply jerking from her seat. She couldn’t hold it anymore, neither could she pretend anymore. ‘’you can tell him if you’re up to it, at least you’re best friends, but I can’t.’’ she turned to look at Mike and the tears came down. ‘’I’m sorry. You deserve someone better than me and I don’t think I can stay here one more second pretending everything is okay when it isn’t.’’

She picked her purse and set out to leave the restaurant. She noticed it had begun to rain and didn’t hesitate to step out not caring what was gonna happen to her or if she was getting soaked. She pulled off her four inched sandals and started walking with her bare feet hoping she would get a taxi that would drive her home.

All she wanted to do was go home and cry into her pillow, telling God she had tried all she could but didn’t succeed.

“Rea!’’ she heard her name in the rain but didn’t look back. She just kept on walking

Someone pulled her by the arm and at first instance, she thought it was Mike but her heart raced faster when she saw it was Ryan.

“baby…’’

“just let me go.’’ The rain mixed with her tears and she doubted Ryan noticed how weak and vulnerable she felt right now.

But instead of releasing her, he lowered his lips on hers and she hesitated. When he deepened it and lifted her off her feet, she couldn’t object and surrendered completely to him.

When he broke free, she looked into his blue eyes, his wet hair and the fact that her sandals still dangled in her hands.

“I love you.’’ He mumbled and she could say nothing more when he kissed her again.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Gabe Morrison looked at Scarlett for what seemed like hours and couldn’t bring himself to mouth any words that wouldn’t hurt her. For seven years, he’d imagined her as the woman of his life. the one who he’d spent his life loving and serving. The one he could go extra miles for even without her asking. The girl who had been an angel the first time he met her. the sweet girl who had told him she was keeping herself for her husband.

That woman was the one who sat on his couch presently, looking like a stranger. Like a LovePeddler who prostituted herself to another man’s fantasies and he hated her so much. All she even had the guts to tell him presently was that she couldn’t go on with the marriage but with everything her colleague dished out to him not to talk of the suspicions he’d had about her ever since she moved back to her hometown, he knew there was so much more.

He’d been stalking her, no doubt and whenever he saw her going out with a particular guy, he turned away knowing he couldn’t bear to watch her rip his heart out.

And then it was worse when she spent the night at his place almost every Friday.

It took him self-control not to strangle her even though she sat crying beside him and begging him that she was sorry.

What would he tell his family and friends? All his college friends and colleagues who’d envied him that he was marrying Scarlett were going to make fun of him and confirm such a loser that He was. His company would offer their pathetic sympathy for his cancelled wedding and he would return to his lonely and miserable life.

He didn’t know when his hand cracked across her face and her body jerked hereby making her land on the floor.

He stood up and reached for her hair while she screamed in tears. “Gabe please, I’m sorry.’’

He hit her again and she struggled to get back to her feet but that was before he pushed her to the floor again but she crawled to the door while he reached for her legs and pulled her underneath him.

“where do you think you’re going huh?!’’ he cried angrily and reached for her blouse. ‘’you think I don’t know how you made yourself a cheap little LovePeddler every Friday night! You think I’m gonna let you go that easily.’’

“Gabe!’’ she screamed fully aware that if he raped her, she would lose her baby. He wouldn’t care less if she mentioned it. in fact, he would most definitely want her to lose the baby with the way his anger took over him

Never had she seen this side of Gabe before

The struggle was intense and when she managed to poke his eyes when he tried covering her mouth, she was able to break free but not for long as she felt her head bang against the door.

And then she sank to the floor unconscious.

“Scarlett?’’ he touched her but she didn’t budge.

“Scar?’’ Gabe grew scared and tapped her face but there was no response. He pulled her close to himself but she didn’t respond. ‘’oh my god!’’ he muttered and hurried over to the phone. ‘’what have I done?’’

He called for an ambulance and hoped they were not too late by the time they got to the house.
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 8:38am On May 28, 2013
Episode 15.

‘’I never knew you could cook so well.’’ Scarlett praised accepting the glass of red wine hand over to her by Josh while settling unto the couch beside him. in her wildest dreams, she had never suspected Josh as a better cook.

The alarm bells in her head had gone off immediately she decided to come over to his place for dinner.

“so you don’t mind about the change of plans that we’re having dinner at my place?’’

“I like it here.’’

“then why don’t you move In with me?’’

Scar found it hard to swallow. Move in with Josh Riley? He was asking Her to move in with him. this was so against what she believed in.

But hadn’t she permitted it all in the first place? She was the one meant to be pulling him towards God but He was doing a good job moving her away from him

But wasn’t this what she wanted, what she’d dreamed of in the past?

She shook her head. ‘’I cant. Gabe…’’

He looked into her eyes then. ‘’if you loved him, you wouldn’t be here with me.’’

She closed her eyes and felt the conscience prick her again. ‘’I can’t believe I’m doing this with you. I have to go.’’

She stood up immediately and headed for the door when he placed his hands on them making her trapped right under him.

“we’re selfish, and what we’re doing is so wrong. Gavin needs you now more than ever, and I’m his teacher who should be helping him in all ways possible. He loves you so much and that’s all I want to witness. But this thing that happened between us, if we continue like this, it’ll ruin everything.’’

“Gavin loves you…’’

“I know. But I haven’t been living up to my reputation.’’

‘’when are you going to tell Gabe about us?’’

Scarlett’s eyes widened. ‘’us?’’

Josh frowned. ‘’is there no us?’’

“I cant. I’ll break his heart.’’

“and so you’ll rather break mine?’’

“you came late Josh. Right when something could have worked between us, you walked away. Right when you should have stood up for me, you didn’t say a word and right when I was humiliated in high school and expected you to do something, you just acted like you knew nothing.’’ Her eyes were beginning to mist but she didn’t struggle to wipe away the tears when they came strolling down. “and now you tell me you love me when you have a girlfriend and a son and moved on ahead in life. don’t you care that I want to be happy too, that I want to live life too, and life doesn’t revolve around you alone?’’

“baby, I’m so sorry.’’ He tried holding her hands but she broke free. ‘’I would never hurt you and when that thing happened back In high school, I called you, I tried everything I could, I searched for you. I opted out of the football team and forfeited the scholarship all because of you. I felt everything was my fault and I wasn’t myself for days. Your parents wouldn’t even allow me near your house and my parents didn’t make things easier. I never knew what we had was Love till now. I felt it was just my heart playing tricks on me but you are the only woman who has this strange effect on me I can’t explain.’’

“I never knew you opted out of the football team…’’ she felt guilty. Sheila had done all she could to separate them and the kiss they’d shared, she thought he was in all of it.

And she had left hating him and hating herself knowing she would never fall for his type again.

And here he was looking broken and wanting her so badly. Why couldn’t she give herself to him when that was what they both wanted?

He began kissing her tears away and she weakened when his lips finally found hers, claiming them for his own gently at first and then deeply till she broke free for air.

She knew the wine had little or nothing to do with the way she was feeling presently

“we cant do this here, Gavin…’’ she managed to say before she went into his arms willingly.

He was strong enough to carry her upstairs.

Two hours later, Josh lay exhausted beside Scarlett and kissed her firmly on the lips. She didn’t resist this time but rested her head and her hands on his bare chest loving how solid he felt against her.

“I don’t know what you’re doing to me Scarlett, but you’ve got me falling head over heels for you.’’ He played with her hair absent mindedly. ‘’I don’t know how I’d survive the rest of the day without you.’’

She looked up at him and her eyes began to mist. This was wrong but it felt so good. He broke her walls and shattered every obstacle she’d created and she knew he had her right in his palms. Right now, he could crush her or he could mold her presently.

Josh Riley had the key to her heart and as they lay together, she knew this was just the beginning of something deeper between them.

“tell me about Gavin’s mum.’’ She propped her head on her elbow to be able to look fully into his eyes. His hand slipped away from her back and she was glad for the less distraction. That way, she could realize the truth in time.

“she was a colleague.’’ Was all he said

“and you don’t feel I deserve to know so much more about you and how much you’ve moved on.’’

“I don’t want to fill your head with something that never really happened. It was just a case of two adults fooling around.’’

Scarlett sat up pulling the sheet to her body. ‘’so what are we doing now?’’

Gavin looked at her then, the feeling of trepidation crawling up his spine. Scarlett had come to him whole keeping her word to remain a virgin and he’d taken that from her whereas he didn’t wait. He knew she was bound to ask him how much he’d been faring without her.

“its much more than sex you know that.’’

“so you forgot all about me and moved on.’’ she managed to get the words out though the tears were already stuck in her throat.

He rose to move closer to her. ‘’not for one second did I forget you Scarlett. For a while, I thought I couldn’t do without you. If you know how hurt I felt, how I tried looking for you, how I even came over to your house the day before you moved out and tried to hold you and comfort you, but your parents thought I was the one who had hurt you and wouldn’t even let me get close to you. And then I heard you had gone just like that.’’

“whatever happened between Ashley and I wasn’t meant to. It just happened cos I was trying to move on without you. And then she wanted to get rid of the baby but I couldn’t allow her do that. I felt like I had a responsibility and was gonna stick by it even if she didn’t want to. I got her to sign a contract that she wouldn’t try anything funny in the future against Gavin and she was more than ready. She’s no more in my life.’’

‘what about your new girlfriend?’’

“she can’t even stand a chance in places where you’re concerned.’’

He started to kiss her and she surrendered to him. when he pulled away, it was to smile into her eyes with desire.

“I have something for you.’’ He mumbled against her lips.

She smiled. ‘’really…’’

He stretched his hand to his bed table and snatched the velvet box that lay beside him.

Scarlett’s heart beat wildly in her chest and her eyes widened on full realization of what was about to happen.

“I know I’m meant to plan the perfect proposal for you, being the special woman in my life but I just can’t hold it in anymore.” He opened the box and got down from the bed to get on his knees. ‘’Scarlett Rose Ruby, please do me the honour of being my wife.’’

She covered her mouth and let the tears flow easily. This was what she’d ever dreamed of and it was happening presently.

“I don’t know what to say. It’s all too much for me right now.’’

“I can give you time. I’m a patient man, and I can wait.’’

And she reached for him and kissed him passionately.

“I love you Josh Riley.’’ She managed to say as he rose to join her on the bed once more, forgetting everything else apart from their passion for each other.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

For a while, Scarlett found it difficult to say anything to Gabe but the tension In their relationship was palpable enough to detect that something was wrong and not as before anymore. She kept postponing the date but Josh didn’t mind most especially since they spent almost all their time together and sometimes Gavin joined in the fun, making Scarlett wish he was hers.

Josh dropped hints on how to make that possible and so she knew she most definitely had to tell Gabe.

Most Fridays were spent in his place after their poetry reading at the café or sometimes after dinner. She told him she couldn’t invite him to her place since she didn’t live alone and didn’t want Rea to get mad at her.

“that would be a good idea, y’know.’’ He said jokingly one time when they were in the kitchen together and she’d been preparing dinner for him, wearing only his Shirt.

She cocked her eyebrows. ‘’oh really…’’

He came close and slid his hands around her waist pulling her close nuzzling her neck in the process. ‘’in that way, she’d send you packing and you could come over my place. Then you can answer my proposal question in time.’’

“you’re not gonna give up are you?’’

“I can’t lose you again.’’

She smiled remembering the second surprise he’d given her the night after he proposed to her. He’d come to snatch her away from the house with the pretense that he just wanted to take her out.

But when they drove closer to the harbor, she knew it was much more than a lunch date.

He got down from the car and he urged her to come out and join him.

It was when she stepped out from his car she saw the surprise and gasped, covering her mouth in shock

“oh no!’’

She looked at him and saw him grinning like a boy in love. The boy she’d fallen in love with years ago and looked at the big boat her name was boldly scripted upon.

“The Scarlett.’’

“Josh, this is all too much.’’

He came and pulled her close to his side, kissing her hair. ‘’anything for you baby.’’

They walked into the boat together while Josh greeted the engineers behind the whole ordeal. Their rapport had been so natural and then she saw the captain smiling at her and excusing them as they looked around.

“wanna check out the cabin?’’

She could only nod as he reached for her hand and led her inside closing the door behind him.

“it’s beautiful Josh, I don’t even know what to say’’

“anything to make you make up your mind about marrying me.’’

‘’you’re serious aren’t you?’’ she looked into his eyes then.

He came closer to her and caressed her face with his fingers, raw desire in his eyes. ‘’ I want you to be mine.’’

She swallowed when he traced his fingers on her lips. How in the world did he have so much authority over her this way? ‘’I’m yours already.’’

“we could take time out and set sail on this baby when you’re ready. And then when we get married, we could spend time at my beach house together.’’

‘’hmmmn..’’ she closed her eyes when his lips settled on hers and could do nothing else when he peeled off her clothes.

And now, she couldn’t figure out how many times she’d allowed him into her body and into her life but she didn’t care anymore.

With time, she couldn’t hear her conscience speak again.

She laughed basking in his scent and not wanting him to let go ‘’I’ll give you an answer at the right time and I bet you it wouldn’t be a no.’’

‘’you smell good, delicious in fact.’’ He trailed kisses down her bare shoulders.

“you’re distracting you know that don’t you?’’ she tried to stop him but didn’t succeed and gave up.

The food had gotten burnt with Demi had walked in on them and the look on her face was enough to remind Scarlett of where she’d placed her before she had been reduced to Josh’s bedmate.

One afternoon while he was still away and she was teaching Gavin his lessons, she interrupted rudely and told Gavin to go to the neighbour’s house sweetly while she had a talk with Scarlett alone.

“I don’t need to be a rocket scientist before I know what you’re doing with my nephew.’’ She began looking right into her eyes. ‘’and the fact that you’re sleeping with him without any guilty conscience when you read those stories to Gavin amazes me.’’

Scarlett blushed and tried averting her gaze. The woman knew where to hit her

“I know I don’t have the right to judge you or anything, but I expected so much more from you than this. I trusted you and brought you into my family. I told you everything about us hoping you would work your way into his heart and bring him to Christ but it seems to me like you’re working your way into his bed instead.’’

“Demi…’’

“you’re not the first woman he’s going to have sex with, but for your sake and mine, I hope you qualify being the last cos you’d be losing on both sides.’’

And she was gone.

And for the first time in weeks since she’d been going out with Josh, she began to see what she had been doing and broke into tears.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When Scarlett started throwing up and feeling queasy, she didn’t know what to pin it to and thought it was probably something she’d eaten and took a sick leave. When she noticed a little awkwardness in her sleeping habit and her irritation for things she normally liked, she grew scared.

Was she suddenly having allergic reactions? That was so odd.

But she suspected it was so much far from allergic reactions when after the second month, her period stopped visiting.

Oh no, this was all too much to bear and she prayed it was something else. Something far from what she suspected could be the reason.

She couldn’t handle another surprise in her life right now while she was still trying to sort her life out.

Rea was suspicious but tried not to show it most especially when Scar didn’t mention anything about herself and Josh, never talked about the weekends she didn’t sleep over, and the reason why he’d brought her home so late at night some weeks ago.

She knew it right from that moment that her friend wasn’t the same anymore and she grew worried for her.

But she decided to go with her to the hospital to confirm her suspicion and look Scar in the eye to start spilling out everything if it was true.

She didn’t know who her friend was anymore. She felt more like a stranger lived in the house with her.

When Scar was told she was six week’s pregnant, she was in shock for a while and didn’t speak. And then she burst into tears after the doctor left the room

Rea did what she could do best. Comfort her.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

For a while, Scarlett was confused and didn’t know what to do or who to tell her predicament to as her wedding day shifted closer and she carried another man’s baby. She’d promised to keep herself till her wedding night but one man had been able to break that resolution and that man had been Josh Riley.

The first guy she’d fallen in love with and the guy who she’d told to wait for her years ago.

He was the same man who had gotten access to her and she’d put her guards down wherever he was concerned.

But now, she carried his baby and he was so ignorant about it and hoped he wouldn’t know anything about it yet, because if he did, she would do as he told her to, most especially now that she didn’t know how to think on her own anymore.

Rea didn’t gloat but tried offering her whatever help she could offer and Scarlett couldn’t be more grateful for a friend like Andrea. She had developed a new relationship with this Mike of a man and he seemed to be a nice man. Rea made him know his limits though and Scarlett knew Rea was far better than her.

She had been so foolish to allow herself to get carried away.

So what if she’d been married to Gabe? She thought. Was this how she was gonna be having an affair with an ungodly man outside marriage? Was this how much she was capable of unfaithfulness? Had she pretended all those 10years to be over Josh whereas, it lurked somewhere in the hidden part of her heart.

She needed time alone and she needed to talk to her mother, but what would she tell her parents who had tried helping her all through her years in college to forget Josh. All the money and love they’d shown her when they moved away from Naperville only to return back to square one

Josh wanting to marry her wasn’t the issue because as much as she loved him and was crazy about him, she wasn’t going to marry him just like that.

But firstly, she knew she had to tell Gabe that they couldn’t go on with the wedding and she was so sorry.

She just hoped she had the courage to tell him at their next outing.

He called for an ambulance and hoped they were not too late by the time they got to the house.
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 8:38am On May 28, 2013

Rea tried as much as possible to look composed when Mike sat beside her and Ryan and Emilia sat opposite them.

This double date wasn’t a good idea but she didn’t want to sound weird to Mike. The poor guy didn’t have any idea about how much she still had feelings for the guy sitting opposite them who looked too good to be true. He wore a black blazer and a tieless shirt inside making her wonder why he didn’t opt for a modeling career. His dirty blonde hair was neatly trimmed and combed while his blue eyes just stood out in his magnificent body.

Who would have known she could still feel this way even after giving her life to Christ.

She had to caution herself and her thoughts or she would have a sleepless night.

His finely chiseled face stared back at her when Mike asked what she would have on the menu and she hoped he would remove her piercing gaze but he didn’t.

Didn’t he mind that Emilia could suspect there was something between them?

“same thing you’re having.’’ She resigned inhaling deeply knowing she wouldn’t enjoy a single bit of this dinner date at all.

The waiter took their orders and Rea shifted closer to Mike, hoping that would make him realize she wasn’t in the mood for eye contact games or footsie either.

The last time they had played footsie, it was at an annual dinner where his uncle had been given a humanitarian award. He’d invited Ryan and Ryan had brought Rea along as his date. And then he knew trouble was brewing when she began teasing him with her toes.

She snapped out of silly thoughts that made her suddenly feel uncomfortable in the restaurant.

Rubbing her palms on her skirt nervously, she tried to focus on something else apart from the distracting figure sitting before her.

‘’so Rea, Mike tells me you went to Evergreen high school.’’ Ryan chiped in with an air of confidence not taking his eyes away from her. ‘’if I do remember clearly, i attended the same school.’’

Rea cocked her eyebrows. He was putting the ball in her court and she wished she could slam it against his face hard! He wanted to play games…, well she was up to it!

“wow!.., you were?’’ she faked a confused look. ‘’and what set was that?’’

‘’same set as yours I believe. Football team’’

“hmmmn, so what role did you play in the football team?’’ she added with spite. ‘’water boy?’’

Mike choked on his water and Rea could only smile when she saw the amused look on her boyfriend’s face, whereas, Ryan’s eyes were filled with anger.

Well, he had started it all in the first place.

“that’s Rea for you, you need an extra pair of sneakers to keep up with her.’’ Mike chipped in still laughing at her previous response to his best friend.

“it’s okay.’’ Ryan’s lips curved into a smile. ‘’I heard you dated someone in the team. You must have known how to pick guys.’’

Emilia’s eyebrows were raised. ‘’why do I think you two know each other so much more than hi and hello?’’

Rea ignored her.

“well, at that time, I didn’t know he was a block head till he proved to be one.’’ Rea smiled at Ryan sweetly and turned to her boyfriend. ‘’you know how it is for a guy to date a bimbo, I guess that’s how it was for me. you never know what you have with you till the true colours start revealing itself.’’

Mike responded. ‘’True’’ And continued proudly. ‘’but my friend here was the hot one in the team. That reminds me, I need to check out your year book. I missed out on so many old friends when I traveled to France.’’

“sure. At least you’ll get to see lots of pictures of my high school years, including the girl I took to Prom.’’ He smiled at Rea

Rea swallowed knowing he had her right where he wanted her. she had been the one he took to Prom, she had been the one he dated in their final year in high school and so many pictures including graduating ones that they had both snapped together.

She still even had the pictures back at home.

She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply jerking from her seat. She couldn’t hold it anymore, neither could she pretend anymore. ‘’you can tell him if you’re up to it, at least you’re best friends, but I can’t.’’ she turned to look at Mike and the tears came down. ‘’I’m sorry. You deserve someone better than me and I don’t think I can stay here one more second pretending everything is okay when it isn’t.’’

She picked her purse and set out to leave the restaurant. She noticed it had begun to rain and didn’t hesitate to step out not caring what was gonna happen to her or if she was getting soaked. She pulled off her four inched sandals and started walking with her bare feet hoping she would get a taxi that would drive her home.

All she wanted to do was go home and cry into her pillow, telling God she had tried all she could but didn’t succeed.

“Rea!’’ she heard her name in the rain but didn’t look back. She just kept on walking

Someone pulled her by the arm and at first instance, she thought it was Mike but her heart raced faster when she saw it was Ryan.

“baby…’’

“just let me go.’’ The rain mixed with her tears and she doubted Ryan noticed how weak and vulnerable she felt right now.

But instead of releasing her, he lowered his lips on hers and she hesitated. When he deepened it and lifted her off her feet, she couldn’t object and surrendered completely to him.

When he broke free, she looked into his blue eyes, his wet hair and the fact that her sandals still dangled in her hands.

“I love you.’’ He mumbled and she could say nothing more when he kissed her again.

Gabe Morrison looked at Scarlett for what seemed like hours and couldn’t bring himself to mouth any words that wouldn’t hurt her. For seven years, he’d imagined her as the woman of his life. the one who he’d spent his life loving and serving. The one he could go extra miles for even without her asking. The girl who had been an angel the first time he met her. the sweet girl who had told him she was keeping herself for her husband.

That woman was the one who sat on his couch presently, looking like a stranger. Like a LovePeddler who prostituted herself to another man’s fantasies and he hated her so much. All she even had the guts to tell him presently was that she couldn’t go on with the marriage but with everything her colleague dished out to him not to talk of the suspicions he’d had about her ever since she moved back to her hometown, he knew there was so much more.

He’d been stalking her, no doubt and whenever he saw her going out with a particular guy, he turned away knowing he couldn’t bear to watch her rip his heart out.

And then it was worse when she spent the night at his place almost every Friday.

It took him self-control not to strangle her even though she sat crying beside him and begging him that she was sorry.

What would he tell his family and friends? All his college friends and colleagues who’d envied him that he was marrying Scarlett were going to make fun of him and confirm such a loser that He was. His company would offer their pathetic sympathy for his cancelled wedding and he would return to his lonely and miserable life.

He didn’t know when his hand cracked across her face and her body jerked hereby making her land on the floor.

He stood up and reached for her hair while she screamed in tears. “Gabe please, I’m sorry.’’

He hit her again and she struggled to get back to her feet but that was before he pushed her to the floor again but she crawled to the door while he reached for her legs and pulled her underneath him.

“where do you think you’re going huh?!’’ he cried angrily and reached for her blouse. ‘’you think I don’t know how you made yourself a cheap little LovePeddler every Friday night! You think I’m gonna let you go that easily.’’

“Gabe!’’ she screamed fully aware that if he raped her, she would lose her baby. He wouldn’t care less if she mentioned it. in fact, he would most definitely want her to lose the baby with the way his anger took over him

Never had she seen this side of Gabe before

The struggle was intense and when she managed to poke his eyes when he tried covering her mouth, she was able to break free but not for long as she felt her head bang against the door.

And then she sank to the floor unconscious.

“Scarlett?’’ he touched her but she didn’t budge.

“Scar?’’ Gabe grew scared and tapped her face but there was no response. He pulled her close to himself but she didn’t respond. ‘’oh my god!’’ he muttered and hurried over to the phone. ‘’what have I done?’’
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 3:37pm On May 30, 2013
EPISODE 16

Rea kept pacing while praying within that her best friend would come out fine most especially in a case like this that a baby was involved and this was just the first trimester.

Gabe had called her and she wasn’t a rocket scientist to realize what had happened. He hit her bad out of anger no doubt. What Scarlett had done was enough to make him go nuts but not a good reason to hit her into unconsciousness. Last night, Scarlett had told her she was finally going to tell Gabe she couldn’t go on with their wedding and she had agreed with her.

And the next thing she knew, her friend was being wheeled into the hospital. What if they were married, would he have killed her?

she glanced at Gabe and shivered on the thought. Who would know a calm and wonderful guy like him could just loose it all at once like that.

He had been pleading all day and she knew his pleas wouldn’t take him far because very soon, Josh would be here and her parents. Most definitely if Josh didn’t get angry and try to throw a punch into his face, he would make sure he was thrown into Prison.

As if he was reading her mind, Josh came hurrying into the hospital and Rea stood up to calm him down when he started panicking. She began to doubt the reason why She had informed Josh about the whole ordeal

Or was it the fact that she wanted him to share in the blame of what had happened to her friend? After all, it had been his fault.

“Josh, you have to calm down.’’ She cautioned. ‘’Ryan says she’ll be fine. Minor bruises and a little fracture is what needs attention.’’

He raked his hands through his hair. ‘’I have to see her…’’

“no, not now. She’s still needs to rest. She’s responding to treatment though.’’

Ryan came out at and Rea was grateful to see him at that moment. She didn’t have the strength to explain anything to Josh anymore.

Gabe stood up from where he was sitting to hear the news.

“she’s doing great.’’ He smiled at Rea and she sighed in relief. ‘’and her baby is perfectly okay. No form of bleeding, loss or damage.’’

Josh’s eyes widened and Gabe’s as well ‘’baby?…what baby.., what are you talking about?’’ he looked at Rea and turned to look at Ryan again. ‘’I didn’t know anything about a baby…, is Scarlett pregnant?’’

“she’s 8weeks pregnant.’’ Ryan confirmed and excused himself. Rea felt trapped when Josh turned to look at her. ‘’she didn’t mention anything to me.’’

“she didn’t want to. She didn’t have the strength to after the whole affair between the two of you.’’

“but it’s my baby. I have every right to know!’’ he was almost yelling.

“oh really?’’ Rea spat. ‘’and that’s the reason why she’s in the hospital you jerk! It’s because of you! It’s because she was sleeping with you while she was getting married to someone else. How do you expect her fiancé to feel when he found out.’’

Josh boiled realizing the truth almost immediately. So the reason why Scarlett was in the hospital was because the Gabe of a guy had found out about their relationship and took it out on her.

Gabe turned to look at Josh recognizing him fully well as the man who had snatched Scarlett away and felt a deep sense of loss and regret. There was no way Scarlett would ever come back to him. she was even carrying his baby. Was that how far the both of them had gone?

Josh looked at Gabe realizing he must be the one and it took him all his strength not to throw a fist into his face as Rea came to stand before him. it was like she knew what he was about to do.

“Hitting him won’t solve anything Josh, so just forget about it.’’

“you’re going to jail.’’ He fumed pointing a finger at him

“you were having sex with my fiance.’’

“then why didn’t you take it out on me!’’ he wanted to grab him but Rea grabbed him by the shoulders hereby preventing him from gaining full access to Gabe

“Josh!’’

‘’He’s a coward! If he knows he’s man enough, he should have taken it out on me, man to man, not hit my Girlfriend.’’

“she’s not your girlfriend’’ Gabe spat

“and she’s not your fiance anymore asshole!’’ Josh scoffed. ‘’oh, you’re damn lucky my baby is safe or you’d be spending the rest of your life roaming the streets young man.’’

“is that the best you can do?’’

Rea was disgusted at the way both men argued shamelessly over a woman who was on the hospital bed who hadn’t even opened her eyes yet. Both of them were wrong. Absolutely wrong but yet they talked like everything was their right.

“stop it! the both of you! Jeez, where are we? High school or kindergarten? My best friend is inside that hospital, lying down in a coma and you guy are here talking like kids! I wonder how she endured going out with you both.’’ She turned to face Gabe. ‘’you’re going to pay for beating up for my bestfriend that way, I assure you and there’s no doubt about that.’’ She looked at Josh. ‘’I don’t want you checking on her now. You’re the last person she needs to see.’’

And she left the both of them.

Josh picked his cellphone and dialed a number. It didn’t take Gabe long enough to know who Josh was calling and he prepared himself for it.

Soon, Gabe was being handcuffed and led into the police car parked outside after being told he had the right to an attorney and other statements that had to go with it.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The darkness was thick enough to envelope her being and the invisible shackles held her captive making it hard for her to move. The more she struggled, the more the invisible chains tore through her skin and she felt something hot trickling down her flesh as the chains tightened.

She blinked several times trying to find some sort of light but she couldn’t and soon enough, her eyes got accustomed to the darkness and she weakened unable to move. She couldn’t point out something in the darkness and it felt like she’d been there for days and the heat became so unbearable she spoke up.

“please, help me…’’

The last thing she remembered was the struggle between herself and Gabe and how she’d tried to rush to the door and run out and the next thing she had felt was the sharp pain and a loud thud on the door before she blacked out.

And ever since she blacked out, she had remained in this tormenting darkness and scorching heat. The hotness she felt trickling down her flesh felt like blood and that was when she remembered she was pregnant.

Had she lost the baby?

“somebody please, help me.’’ she choked out almost unable to squeeze out the words as the invisible shackles had also found way to her throat and seemed to be squeezing gently at first then tightly. She wanted to call out God’s name but she didn’t have the strength to, neither did she have the courage after all she had done and all the present images of herself and Josh played in her memory.

Then she began to cry. She would call out God’s name and if he wouldn’t hear her, so be it.

She just prayed this torment wasn’t forever…, no human could survive this long. She was even surprised that she was still alive.

“oh God!, please, help me…, save me.., please. I’m so sorry.’’ She shook as she prayed and kept weeping till she felt a gentle hand on her shoulder.

She blinked and realized the darkness had cleared and friendly eyes stared down at her, reaching out to her.

She took his hand and he lifted her gently. It was then she realized the invisible chains had broken free but she was still naked.

She cowered immediately but he pulled her close to himself and she felt a cloak envelop her being. It was as if at that moment she realized who He was and quickly fell to her knees.

“Jesus, I’m so sorry.’’ She wept and placed her face on his feet trying not to look into his eyes. She didn’t deserve his mercy. She had done him wrong. She hadn’t been faithful but compromising, forgetting her purpose and seeking the will of her flesh. She had let him down in so many ways and she suddenly felt disgusted at her actions.

She recognized the hole on his feet and wept more feeling more and more ashamed. ‘’I’m no better than Judas who betrayed you..’’

“hush..it’s okay.’’ He bent low to cup her face in his hands and she could see he was weeping too. ‘’I know everything you want to say and I know you’re dying so much inside to spill everything out but just know I’ve forgiven you and I need you not to sin anymore.’’

“I wont. I promise you, I wont. I wont…, I wont…, I wont..’’ she kept on saying till she opened her eyes into reality and Rea tried to calm her down.

“Scarlett…, Scarlett..’’ she called out to her and she jerked up from the bed looking at her friend and Susan who stood beside her.

“Andrea…Sue.’’ She breathed and sank back into the bed realizing she was back to earth and this was her reality. What she had seen earlier was horrifying as well as Divine. God had forgiven her and she had to make amends.

“I’m sorry.’’ She told them both

Rea hushed her. ‘’it’s ok. Don’t talk much if you’re not up to it.’’

“How many days have I been here?’’

“three days.’’

She nodded slowly as if assimilating the information. ‘’and the baby?’’

“your baby is fine.’’

She sighed and tried not to cry. She couldn’t cry anymore. ‘’I just had a strange dream or I’d rather call it an experience.’’ she closed her eyes. ‘’I don’t even know how to start.’’

“you can tell us when you’re up to it.’’

She tried to turn and groaned in pain realizing her arm was sprained. Her head suddenly felt heavy and that was when she realized that there was a bandage wrapped around her head and her eyes felt swollen. She wondered what else had happened to her face.

“when am I getting discharged?’’

“tomorrow afternoon.’’ Sue responded. ‘’don’t worry you don’t look that bad.’’

Scarlett tried to smile and asked for a mirror while Rea helped her to sit up. Sue obeyed and brought one close to her face thinking Scarlett would gasp once she saw her reflection but she just sighed and shrugged. ‘’it would have been worse.’’

“I’ll fix your hair for you when you get discharged.’’

“thanks ladies. But right now, I think I’d like to be alone.’’

“sure.’’ The two women looked at each other before planting a kiss on her cheeks.

They were about to get to the door when she called out. ‘’Sue, I’m sorry for the stress I put you through. You coming here and all…, in your present state’’

“hey, don’t mention it.’’

“and Rea, thank you very much for being my friend even when I don’t deserve to be called that.’’

‘’you’ll always be my friend and you know that.’’

She nodded and watched them leave. Immediately the door closed behind her, she closed her eyes and raised her hands to her face while she wept, her whole being doing so along with her.

If she had once queried about God’s mercy, she need not anymore. An example was what he had bestowed upon her presently and she wouldn’t let his grace waste upon her life.

Not anymore. After all, she promised her savior she would set things right and that she would start immediately.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When Josh entered the hospital room and saw Scarlett, anger welled up in him at the bruises present on her face and dwelled on how he would make sure that Gabe of a man spent more time in jail. Never would he lay hands on any woman again, not even Scarlett.

He would make sure of it once they got married and provide adequate security for her .

“baby…’’ he came towards her and was about planting a kiss on her lips when she moved her face away slightly hereby making his lips land on her cheeks. He was taken aback by her action and looked into her eyes then. ‘’What’s wrong?’’

“nothing’s wrong.’’ She looked into his eyes this time knowing fully well she owed him a lot of explanation and they’d better start now.

His hands searched for her hand but she recoiled. ‘’you won’t even let me touch you…’’ he murmured his eyes becoming sad making him wonder if it was Gabe that caused all of this.

‘’we have to talk.’’ Was all she said

‘’okay. I’m listening.’’ He was eager to hear what she had to say. Anything she wanted, he would give her. he settled unto the chair beside her bed and pulled it closer to her.

‘’I’m sorry for everything that happened between us and that you had to find out this way about the baby.’’

“hey, it’s okay. I mean it’s my baby and once we get married, we’ll be a family together with Gavin.’’

Scarlett shook her head. ‘’now that’s why we need to talk Josh because this thing between us, it has to end.’’

Josh frowned. ‘’what are you talking about?’’

‘’I cant marry you. i’m sorry I made it look that way from the beginning.’’

“we’ll work things out.’’

“in places where the both of us are concerned, working things out isn’t an option.’’ She was firm and was glad for the strength she had to face him. Never had she imagined herself with such courage and she thanked God

“i wronged you. I wronged Gavin, I wronged myself and I wronged God in all ways possible.’ She continued. ‘’I tried to do things on my own and I let myself get carried away. I was obsessed about you and allowed myself believe I couldn’t love or move on without you. I worshiped you and you were like my personal idol unknown to me. Right from our high school days, I fell in love with you but it didn’t end there. I thought only you could make me feel beautiful not realizing I was beautiful in God’s eyes no matter what anyone told me or said about me. I had this inferiority complex and felt so unloved. I didn’t keep my virginity for purity reasons but I kept it because I felt I would get the perfect guy to give it to which was wrong. The first night we had sex, I wasn’t prepared for it, but after it all happened, one side of me was glad that I had given it to you. it made me feel I belonged to you in some sort of way whereas the other side of me hated the deed so much but after a while I didn’t care. I wanted you so badly and I had you. I wanted you to Chase me and make me feel beautiful the way I didn’t years ago and was glad you saw me as the woman in your life.’’

Josh was quiet and when her eyes began to mist, it took him extra will power not to kiss her tears away.

“But I was wrong. I’ve been wrong my whole life. and I did so many wrong things. I put you at the center whereas, God is meant to be at the center. I made you my reason for existence and thought I’d die if I didn’t have you. and if I had died, if you had died, we would have gone to Hell. I wronged you because I didn’t tell you about God or try to draw you closer to God. I let my feelings get in the way. I worked my way into your bed instead. I wronged Gavin because He believed in me and saw me as his role model but I didn’t prove to be one. And I wronged myself in so many ways being that I didn’t see what God wanted for me but rather I kept seeing you.’’

Josh inhaled deeply hoping the next words wont hurt him deeply. ‘’So what next now?’’

“I’m breaking up with you. our relationship cant continue because it’s ungodly. I want you to find God before I can even consider moving on with you.’’

Josh swallowed. ‘’and what about Gavin, and my baby…’’

“they’ll be fine. I’ll be getting discharged tomorrow and so I’ll be moving out of town next week after handing over my resignation letter to the school.’’

Josh’s eyes had begun to mist and he went on his knees grabbing her hands in panic. ‘’Scarlett, baby.., please you can’t do this to me. we can still work things out. I’ll find God. You can teach me about him and I promise, if you want us to stop having sex, then its okay with me. I can handle it but you can’t leave. Not after I’ve built my life around you. Not after you’ve bonded so much with Gavin…’’

Scarlett was shaking but tried to sound calm. ‘’if you Love me Josh, you’ll let me go.’’

“Baby please…’’

“I’m sorry, but its something I have to do and I’m not going back on my decision. I want to start a new life and I need to be far away from this place if I want to come out a different person. I need to spend time with God myself and realize what plans he has for me. I’ll be praying for you both cos you’re still both part of my life. Demi is not excluded and please thank that woman for me.’’

“I’ll send you emails and pictures of the baby when she’s out. But Josh please, if you don’t release me and if you let the court get involved, I’ll realize you don’t love me, and you’re doing this just because of the baby.’’

Josh raked his hand through his hair and placed a fist on his mouth so that he wouldn’t yell or scream. This woman was what he lived for. she was the one who took a piece of his heart when she left years ago and she was about to do the same now and he felt helpless. He looked into her eyes and knew she was sincere.

She held his hands and looked into his eyes. ‘’I love you Josh. I still do. But there’s a different yoke that ties us and if we don’t follow the same path, it won’t work out.’’

“I’ll follow you to Church. I’ll do anything you want me to do. I’ll let Gavin spend more time with you….’’ he went on and on till she stopped him.

“it’s not about Church Josh and that’s where you’re missing it. it’s about having that personal relationship with God. It’s about soul searching and realizing what God wants you to be. Once you find that, we’ll find each other. It’s that simple.’’

“and how long did it take you to figure all this out?’’

‘’A life changing experience that happened to me. I would have died and gone to hell but God had mercy on me and wants me to set things right.’’

He sat still pondering on all that she had said and hoping she would change her mind but she sat looking at him till a nurse came in with more of her drugs including analgesics and muscle relaxants and Josh had to excuse her.

Immediately he stepped out, he lost all reasoning and let the tears flow. He couldn’t remember the last time he cried but right now, he cried because it felt like his heart was being ripped out by the same woman it lived on.

How he would cope for the rest of the months that would pass by, he didn’t know but he knew she really had to go and trying to stop her wouldn’t make her love him better.

Her eyes had said it all
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 3:38pm On May 30, 2013

“hi’’

Rea turned and saw Ryan standing behind her holding two cups of coffee in both hands. She received a cup from him and murmured her thanks. ‘’don’t you have a patient to attend to?’’

“I’m on a little break. Lunch hour I guess.’’

‘’it’s sad that you have to spend it with such a bore like me’’ Rea laughed nervously realizing he still remembered how she liked her coffee being served. No milk, no sugar.

“thanks.’’ She told him again and he smiled into her eyes. “you look worn out.’’

“now that’s an understatement.’’ She sipped her coffee and sighed with great delight.

“I just want to tell you that if you need a shoulder to lean on, I’m here for you.’’ he chiped in.

She looked at him then and raised her hand to rub the aching spot behind her neck. She really needed to sleep. ‘’Ryan.., the fact that you kissed me about a week ago doesn’t change anything.’’

“then what does?’’

“Mike doesn’t talk to me like the way we used to anymore and I know it’s because you told him about us that night.’’

“he’s my best friend. I should be the one worried about that.’’

“He’s a great guy and he feels I owe him more than an explanation.’’

“Mike isn’t like that. He’s just staying away hoping he doesn’t come in between the both of us.’’ Ryan explained. ‘’he even mentioned it to me that he suspected something brewing between the both of us but he tried to give us a benefit of doubt. He says it was in your eyes the way you got lost when he talked to you.’’

Andrea smiled to herself sadly. ‘’after 3years, who would have thought I’d still be in love with you.’’

‘’I broke up with Emilia.’’ He said.

‘’and I don’t need to tell you the deal between myself and Mike.’’

They laughed together.

‘’I’m sorry…’’

“me too.’’

‘’no you’re not!’’ Rea retorted and nudged him playfully. He allowed his left hand rest on her shoulder and pulled her close to his side. ‘’you think we can give it another shot?’’

‘’maybe..’’ she yawned.

“you’re doing that thing again.’’ He poked her and she giggled. “that thing you do when you yawn feigning uninterest whereas you really want us to give it a shot.’’

“no really, I’m tired and hungry.’’ She laughed. ‘’all I need right now is a good shower, a very delicious breakfast and a good massage. I haven’t had a good night rest since 3 days ago.’’

“I could help out.’’

Rea looked at him with horror in her eyes. ‘’oh no you don’t! We both know you give the worst massages.’’ She relaxed into him. ‘’and by the way, that’s not allowed till we tie the knot.’’

Ryan’s heart beat wildly in his Chest and Rea could hear the fast rhythm of his heart and smiled. She had given him hope and there was no turning back.
Re: Life Afterwards by Eneze1(f): 9:09am On May 31, 2013
seriously I love this, u got me captivated to the story till I finished reading, don't tell me this is the end ooo, keep up the good work smiley

1 Like

Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 9:43am On May 31, 2013
Eneze1: seriously I love this, u got me captivated to the story till I finished reading, don't tell me this is the end ooo, keep up the good work smiley

This is not the end, but we are gradually getting there.. and why you dey hide your face naa..
Re: Life Afterwards by Eneze1(f): 9:51am On May 31, 2013
teeluv:

This is not the end, but we are gradually getting there.. and why you dey hide your face naa..

better, because am already salivating for the concluding part, y u wan see my face?
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 9:59am On May 31, 2013
Eneze1:

better, because am already salivating for the concluding part, y u wan see my face?
[quote author=Eneze1]

Except you are faceless sha.. and we know who faceless people are according to our president.
Re: Life Afterwards by Eneze1(f): 10:12am On May 31, 2013
[quote author=teeluv][/quote]

if am faceless, that side of my face won't even show at all
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 11:08am On May 31, 2013
Yes you highness. I was just been silly as usual..
Re: Life Afterwards by Eneze1(f): 3:55pm On May 31, 2013
teeluv: Yes you highness. I was just been silly as usual..

lolz
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
Episode 17

Scarlett packed her last box into the bonnet of her car and slammed it down hoping she wouldn’t change her mind at this last minute. The sun shining down on her reminded her that this period would have been her wedding but things had changed. She remembered going to see Gabe about two days ago in prison after testifying in court when Josh insisted that she should. She didn’t want to but she had to after she had been summoned.

Her mind flashed back to the conversation they had two days ago and how she felt completely responsible and guilty for the whole ordeal. When she sat down opposite him in the orange ward uniform, she tried not to cry. If she hadn’t cheated, he wouldn’t be here behind bars.

“hi.’’ She had greeted first

“hi’’

‘’I’m sorry about this…, about everything.’’

He was quiet.

“how are you faring?’’

‘’you should know. At least your boyfriend should be able to give you feedback on how well I’d be faring when he sent me to a place like this.’’

“Gabe…’’

“I shouldn’t have hit you.’’ he sobered. ‘’and I’m sorry I let my anger take over me. I almost killed you and your baby. That innocent soul who I bet and pray is nothing like you.’’

Scarlett felt slapped in the face by that statement. ‘’I didn’t mean for any of this to happen.’’

“me neither but it has and we have to move on.’’

“I ask you to forgive me Gabe. I did you wrong and I’m sorry. I cheated on you and made you lose your job and so much more.’’

“that still isn’t an excuse for my violent act against you.’’ he paused and looked into her eyes. ‘’I’ve been referred to a psychiatrist and I’ll be checking in tomorrow.’’

She nodded. She knew about this already.

His hands went to his face and he held back the tears. ‘’I can’t believe I let you go so easily. I loved you Scarlett and you know I’d give anything for you but you just ripped my heart out and kept crushing it anytime I saw you with that Josh guy. Tell me what he had that I didn’t.’’

She inhaled deeply and repeated. ‘’I’m sorry.’’

She had left after they escorted him back to the cell and knew nothing was ever going to make her go back to that prison ever again.

In due time, he would be released and she hoped they never crossed paths.

Her colleague Mr. Chase had also apologized when she came over to the school to hand over her resignation letter and pack her things. He had confessed to be responsible for revealing her affair with Josh when he noticed. He apologized it was out of jealousy he snitched to Gabe and she could only thank and forgive him.

At least, that had led to the wake up call.

Rea’s voice disrupted her thoughts and she turned to see her bringing Bernie outside.

“I wish I could convince you not to leave, but I know you have to.’’

She nodded and tried not to cry. Instead she opened the door for her dog and watched him leap inside.

‘’don’t forget to keep calling.’’

“I wont.’’ She forced a smile and pulled Rea closer holding her tightly and kissing her briefly.

“I love you.’’ Scarlett mumbled finally when they released each other.

“I love you too.’’

“I don’t have the heart to tell Sue myself but please tell her for me. I hope Josh can make Gavin understand.’’

“with time, they both will.’’

Scarlett smiled again when her eyes strolled to her friend’s finger. “I’m so happy for you that Ryan finally proposed.’’

Rea’s eyes turned misty. ‘’things will work out for you Scarlett. Just have faith in God. We’re humans and that’s why we make mistakes.’’

“I guess so.’’ She threw on her shades and touched her friend’s cheeks. ‘’Call me for your wedding. Now that’s one thing I don’t wanna miss.’’

“in five months time.’’ Rea grinned like a child and Scarlett knew she had found her second half in Ryan. ‘’I wish you would reconsider being my chief bridesmaid Scarlett….’’

She shook her head. ‘’you and I both know that by the time you’ll be getting married, I’ll be looking like a balloon and my baby blip will be so conspicuous by that time. It’d be awkward of me to stand beside you in Church.’’

“God sees your heart…’’

“but not everyone is like God.’’ She smiled and leaned closer to kiss her cheeks. “I’ll call you when I get home.’’

“greet Mum and Dad.’’

“I will.’’

She leaned closer to Bernie and rubbed his head fondly hoping she wouldn’t miss him as much as she would miss Scarlett.

That would be double torture in a huge house like hers.

She waved at her friend and watched her drive off till she was out of sight hoping she could find sweet solace and be ready to forgive herself after settling down at home.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Scarlett watched Rea through her side mirror as she drove hoping she wouldn’t fall apart or rather change her mind and reverse. She didn’t realize how much she had missed Rea for those ten years she left Naperville and seeing her again had made her realize the power of friendship.

But she had ruined everything due to her foolishness.

Her mind flashed to Gavin and she wished there was a good explanation to give the boy before leaving. She thought about Josh and how much they’d shared, how she had given him her all and how he’d make her return back to square one.

She was leaving again.

She remembered how he’d pleaded with her to stay and how he would do anything to make her stay but she had remained adamant. Yes, she had to! She had been forgiven and she had to sit up and do as God would want her to.

She couldn’t let his Grace waste upon her life like Paul had said.

She thought of her baby blip and inhaled deeply. Two months were gone now and she still looked normal. In about four to five months more, she would be looking pregnant.

And then she would be a single mum.

“oh God.’’ She prayed as the tears strolled down. ‘’I know I did wrong and I’m sorry. But please tell me where to go from here cos I feel so lost and helpless. I don’t even know where to start and I’d appreciate you taking the wheels of my life right now.’’

Not long after, she felt a certain calmness come over her spirit as she drove and she was grateful for the presence of God that had suddenly filled her being making the fear of everything jump out of the window all at once.

She wasn’t afraid anymore.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When Scarlett drove right in front of her parent’s house, she prayed once more before getting down and stared at the door wondering if her parents were even home at that time.

She stepped out of the car and tucked her hair behind her ears absent minded moving slowly towards the door.

“Scarlett?’’ she heard her mum’s voice behind her

She turned immediately and saw the older woman carrying two bags of groceries in hand and looking at her awkwardly through her glasses.

“Mum?’’

“come here and help me with these will you?’’ there was a bantering tone in her voice and a smile that was so welcoming she hurriedly lifted the bags off her hands and headed into the house through the back door.

“my God!’’ she sighed exhaustively and shook her head once they stepped into the kitchen and Scarlett started unpacking the cereals, fruits and ingredients her mother had brought home. ‘’if you know the number of places I visited today before going to the store, you would think I was doing more than just horticulture.’’ She laughed and helped herself to a bottle of water from the fridge while Scarlett stood watching her.

‘’how are you?’’

“I’m doing great.’’ She smiled briefly and looked at Scarlett in the eyes. ‘’I should be asking you that same question.’’

‘’I’ll be fine…, I guess.’’

Her mother didn’t take her eyes away from her. ‘’you mind talking about it?’’

‘’I don’t even know where to start from.’’

Alexandra nodded.

“how’s Dad?’’

“he’s doing great I suppose.’’

“How did he take the news?’’

“well, not quite well. You know your father. He’s not very tolerant about that kind of news but we agreed not to say anything till we hear your side of the story.’’

“ there’s nothing much to say…’’Scarlett looked away. ‘’I’m not that innocent myself.’’

Mrs Ruby sighed “I find it hard to believe you would Cheat on Gabe although I know you two haven’t been married yet but it’s just not in my baby to hurt other people’s feelings.’’

“I saw Josh.’’

She saw the shock in her mother’s face but she remained quiet.

“I almost moved in with him since I had some of my things in his place and I spent my weekends there.’’

Alex closed her eyes painfully as her daughter continued. ‘’I had sex with him. not once, not twice.’’ Scarlett allowed her news to sink in before she spilled the final news. ‘’and I’m carrying his baby.’’

Her mother looked pale and raised her hands to her mouth. She removed her glasses and settled weakly on the wicker chair. She wished her daughter will burst out laughing that it was all a joke but the look on her face made her realize it was as real as it could get.

“I’m sorry I disappointed you.’’ her eyes rimmed with tears. ‘’and Dad. I’m sorry that I let all your efforts to make me forget Josh turn useless and I’m sorry about Gabe. I don’t know what his parents would have told you but I’m not innocent either. I just want you to know all this so that I can know if you want me to leave or go someplace else.’’

“you’re not going anywhere baby.’’ Alex stood up immediately to hug her daughter and Scarlett melted into her. This was what she needed right now. This was what she had been afraid to spill when driving.

She had pondered on where to stay if she wasn’t allowed to stay here and prayed God would intervene.

She suddenly saw herself as the Prodigal daughter and she was glad God had a hand in her mother taking her back.
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 10:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When Scarlett woke up the next morning, she was hungry and stood up from the bed stretching while looking around.

Her room was still looking like a princess’s castle just the way her parents had adorned it before she went to college and finally moved out and she suddenly missed her childhood.

Not wanting to bask in the past, she pulled on her fluffy slipper and hurried downstairs just to see her Father in the kitchen serving himself a cup of coffee while looking at the morning paper. She hadn’t seen him before going to bed yesterday and now that she saw him, he suddenly looked older to her. the wrinkles on his face and his grey hair that displayed themselves gloriously on his temples and on some other areas of his hair.

Even in Jeans and T shirt, he still looked good and handsome and at that moment, she knew she wanted to have what her parents had. 26years of marriage and they were still together. she was their only child and he was content. All his years, she had never heard her mother complain that he cheated on her, he treated her well and respected her. if she ever heard them quarrel or disagree, it was in the solace of their bedroom and soon they were together, smooching and acting like they couldn’t do without each other.

But she didn’t think she had started well and she hoped she still had the chance to right her wrongs.

Even if she was a single mother, she hoped she would find a man that was godly and just like her father.

“Goodmorning Dad.’’

He turned to look at her and smiled. ‘’hey kiddo.’’

That smile made her come closer and embrace him. ‘’I miss you.’’

‘’I miss you too pumpkin.’’

“I’m sorry.’’

“hey, it’s okay.’’ He kissed her hair and bent to plant another one close to her lips. Same old Dad. He never stopped doing that. It was like a special bond between them and that was like ‘a welcome greeting’ that she could stay.

She knew her mother would have talked to him and inwardly she was grateful.

‘’coffee?’’

She grimaced.

‘’oh, I’m sorry. I almost forgot.’’ He dropped his paper and coffee mug and went over to pour her a glass of milk.

‘’thanks.’’ She gulped down the glass and helped herself to the cookie jar. ‘’I’m pretty hungry.’’ She laughed when her father’s eyebrows shot up at the way she gulped down the whole glass of milk.

“let me make you breakfast then.’’

She settled down and kept munching her cookies. ‘’where’s mum?’’

“early morning personal devotion and jogging.’’

She nodded silently remembering her mother’s habit and knew she would have to develop that habit soon herself.

“that big guy of yours is amazing. He acts like he’s known us years before now.’’

“you mean Bernie?’’

“yep. How long have you had him?’’

“just two years.’’

“you sure know how to pick animals.’’Her father passed her a plate of waffles and poured her another glass of milk.

“thanks.’’

She dug into her waffles and ate to satisfaction before her father settled down before her.

“I wouldn’t be doing my duty as your father if I pretend like everything’s okay when it isn’t.’’ he began looking into her eyes. ‘’but I wont judge you. I know you made a poor decision in life but and you’ve realized your mistakes, but I want to ask you is what next?’’

Scarlett bit her lip. She knew that was why her mother had left earlier than usual, So that they can have a heart to heart chat.

“well, I came back home because I needed to find God. I’ve gone so far away from God like David did and I need to know what he’s saying to me. what he wants me to do and I need to rededicate my life to him afresh.’’

‘’okay.’’

She shrugged. ‘’I guess that’s the major aspect of me coming home.’’

“and Josh?’’

She looked away. ‘’he’s in my past.’’

“he’s the father of your baby. Are you ready to be a single mother?’’

“he proposed but I refused. I did wrong in the first place. Getting married to him would make things worse. I told him he needed to find God.’’

“and if he comes here looking for you?’’

“he wont. I told him not to.’’

“how far gone are you?’’

‘’two months.’’

‘’what about your job?’’

Scarlett grew sad. ‘’God will work something out for me. I blew the first one. I’m thinking of sending out my CV once more but how many schools would want to employ an unwed pregnant woman?’’

“you don’t look it…’’

“well for now I don’t but just wait till my fifth or sixth month and I’ll be looking like an elephant.’’

“well, I talked to Mr. Becker this morning if you could work for him again for the main time and he was more than willing to let you back. He even insisted he would pay you double of what he was paying you before you left. I guess he was scared you left because he couldn’t afford you.’’

Scarlett’s eyes widened. ‘’you did that for me?’’

“just the little I could do.’’

“oh Dad, you don’t know how much this means to me.’’ she knew the baby was responsible for her getting all mushy and she stood up to hug her father. ‘’ I love you so much.’’

‘’I love you too sweetheart.’’ He rubbed her back fondly.

She settled on his leg gently and looked into his eyes. ‘’you know the kind of man I always dreamed getting married to?’’

He smiled. ‘’I think I do.’’

They laughed together and she embraced him again. ‘’it’s someone who’s just like you Daddy. Exactly like you. who loves God and loves his family and receives me like the prodigal daughter that I am.’’ She wept into his neck.

“shhh..its okay sweetie. If Jesus can receive you, who am I to reject you?’’

She released him and wiped her face with her hands. ‘’will you help me get back on track with God? I think I lost my way a long time ago…’’

‘’I’m the best coach you could ever have kiddo!’’ he lifted her on her feet feigning a strict voice ‘’now go upstairs and clean up. Bible study starts now.’’

She giggled and rushed upstairs thanking God once more.
Re: Life Afterwards by Eneze1(f): 9:01am On Jun 03, 2013
am really enjoying this piece, keep up the good work, pls and pls I wish Scarlett and Josh will be a couple, letting him go isn't the best to me as far as am concerned
Re: Life Afterwards by Cavalli(f): 11:47am On Jun 03, 2013
I can onli say wow.dis stori z superb n d update z so constant thankz alot tee oda writers sud just b lyk u it wil b beta.
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 8:39pm On Jun 03, 2013
EPISODE 18

‘’I must say we make an amazing team in the courtroom.’’ Jamie Green greeted Josh with a shy smile that looked sexy and enticing at the same time. Josh knew the kind of invites that smile sent and as usual, he’d have encouraged it but presently he just wasn’t in the mood.

Four months had gone and he hadn’t been in the mood for sex with any woman ever since Scarlett left.

Something was most definitely happening to him and He knew it had little to do with Scarlett Ruby but much more to do with what she had told him the about two and a half months ago.

“I wronged you, I wronged Gavin, I wronged myself and I wronged God…, I was having sex with you. I would have gone to Hell. We would have both gone to hell.

It’s about having a personal relationship with God..

You need to find God…

I let my feelings get in the way…, I worked my way into your bed instead.’’

“Josh?’’

He stared blankly into the brown eyes of the young olive skinned woman that stood before him just outside the courtroom and suddenly realized she was already close to him so that his eyes could settle on her cleavage that revealed a perfect set of breasts and white bra beneath that did a good job of pushing it upwards. The chain she wore dangled just between her boobs and he wondered if she had pulled off a button already since he hadn’t noticed that initially.

He knew he could take her down now. He could kiss her senseless and just drive to her place and they would have sex and that would be the end like the cases they both handled but he just couldn’t.

He couldn’t bring himself to.

“I have a son.’’

‘’we can drive to my place and celebrate our victory.’’ She didn’t give up and pushed closer but he moved away. In fact he didn’t have just one son. He was gonna have another one soon!

That was what he told himself when he spoke again. ‘’I have to go. I’m sorry. You were great Jamie but let our relationship remain strictly official.’’

She looked obviously disappointed.

“okay.’’ Was all she could say before she hurried into her car and sped off.

Josh raked his hands through his hair. What in the world was happening to him? The way he overcame that temptation that just dangled right in his eyes he couldn’t say. But one side of him was glad.

He wasn’t an animal after all

When Josh got home, he saw his son sitting at the piano and smiled as he watched Demi sit close to him teaching him slowly and making sure he understood what she said.

“hey…’’

Gavin turned and ran to greet his father. They were beginning to bond slowly and Josh was grateful once more to Scarlett for this. Gavin on the other hand was happy his father returned home early these days and they spent more time with each other in whatever it is Josh suggested they do.

Next year, he was going to start playing cricket and he grew more excited that he would start mixing with other kids in their games.

‘’how’s his piano lessons? Improving?’’

“a little. I think he has his mind set on drawing instead.’’ Demi smiled. ‘’but you need to hear him read. I wont be surprised if this boy grows up to write his own encyclopedia.’’

‘really?’’ Josh looked at Gavin with a grin and nudged him playfully. The boy giggled and wiggled out of his father’s arms.

“let me show you what I drew today Dad.’’ He pulled his father’s hands and dragged him to his room. ‘’and I’m going to read those big words Aunt Demi thought I couldn’t pronounce.’’

Josh followed him into his room and stared with wide eyes as Gavin showed him so many images of what he had drawn while he was away.

“wow, this is awesome.’’

“I know right?’’ Demi laughed.

Josh couldn’t be more pleased.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

‘hey’’

Josh looked up from his ipad and saw Demi staring at him from the door of his study. “may I come in?’’

“sure.’’ He relaxed into his chair and stretched looking at the time.

11pm.

“you look tired.’’

“yea, I guess I am.’’

She came to settle on the leather cushion that faced him. ‘’I called Scarlett today.’’

Josh’s head jerked up and his heart beat wildly in his chest. ’’is she okay? Is the baby okay? Did something go wrong?’’

Demi smiled. ‘’she’s fine. Infact she’s doing better than I expected and she told me to extend her greetings to you.’’

Josh relaxed once more.

“you miss her don’t you?’’

‘’now that’s an understatement.’’ He breathed. ‘’you don’t know how hard it is to know where she is and yet, I can’t even go to her. I can’t even feel her or feel my baby inside her moving against my palms. It’s complete torture.’’

“it took Gavin a while to get over it all but he still brings it up once in a while.’’ She sighed sadly

“you know why she left don’t you?’’

“she gave me her bullet points.’’ He scoffed.

“you mentioned she wants you to find God.’’ She continued. ‘’then why don’t you find God and stop making your journey so hard and difficult. You want to turn a 4odays journey into 4o years like the isrealites.’’

‘’I don’t even know where to start from.’’

‘Start by realizing you need him and don’t try proving anything because you’re nothing. And be humble. He loves a humble heart and a humble appearance too.’’

‘’you say it like it’s one easy task.’’

“you’re not the first who would seek God Josh darling neither will you be last. So start now.’’

And she was gone leaving him to ponder on what she had said

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The few months Scarlett spent working for Mr. Becker proved stressful initially but after a while, she got used to it and took her time undergoing the same procedures as before. She put his files in order, answered his calls and other calls coming in for the company and kept note of his appointments that came up almost every day.

Though sometimes, she would feel sleepy, she tried not to act lazy at work and when she got home, she would slump on the couch and doze off till the next morning hungry and in a hurry

She was seven months gone, and she was even looking it and she could tell the baby was really weighing her down. Her feet felt swollen, her back ached and she suddenly wished she could get a good massage from a loving hand. Her mind flashed to Josh and she shut out the thoughts immediately before she started fantasizing.

But the days when the hormones took over her, she couldn’t help but wish he was with her, holding her and loving her the way he used to.

It felt so long and it took her extra grace not to dial his number cos she knew he would be beside her in a jiffy if she showed any sign of weakness and so she would remain calm and keep praying for him.

Keep praying that God would find him and pull him out of the dark pit where he was currently.

Absentmindedly, she rubbed her blip and felt the baby kick against her reminding her she had to go for her prenatal appointment today with her mother.

She was ready for everything except the sex of the child.

She wanted it to be a surprise for herself and Josh.

Most especially Josh.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

It was a beautiful day no doubt. The blue sky giving credence to the sun that shone brightly in the sky and the day promising to be a fruitful and unforgettable one as people moved about mumbling about one thing or the other, while others were involved in organizing the ceremony.

Rea grew nervous and kept fidgeting

“I cant believe this is happening.’’ She told Sue who had her younger sister Eleanor carry her baby for her.

“you’ll be fine Rea…, just relax. Look into my eyes and take a deep breath.’’

“it’s easier said than done.’’

‘’well, I did it, and here I am now. So its your turn. You better get that into your brain walk out of this room and into the church and tell that goodlooking man that you’re sticking by him for better for worse till death parts you both.’’

Rea breathed. ‘’till death parts us.’’

“good.’’ Sue smiled Inhale it, think about it and do it! Now that’s the spirit.’’ Sue smiled

Rea nodded and looked around. ‘’ I need to see Scarlett.’’

“she’ll be here soon. You just get ready in five minutes to step out.’’

Rick’s head popped in. ’’you girls through?’’

Rea turned to look at her stepfather and beamed. He came close and she embraced him ‘’thank you. I couldn’t wish for another man to be my father.’’

“Neither could I wish for a better daughter.’’ He kissed her cheeks while releasing her.

Rea teased. ‘’don’t let the twins hear you.’’

“hmmmn, that’s a good idea.’’ He smiled down at her and traced the dark curl that found way to her face beneath her wedding veil. She looked like a princess. His princess and he was handing her over to another man. He had never seen Rea so beautiful and innocent at the same time.

It was like she was more of God’s bride than Ryan and he marveled in the way she had grown to be so lovely years afterwards.

“I love you sweetheart and I want you to know that the fact that you’re getting married to Ryan doesn’t mean I’ll stop caring for you. you’re still welcome home anytime.’’

“thank you.’’

He extended his hand to her. ‘’I guess this is it then.’’

Rea grew emotional and tried not to cry. ‘’I guess so.’’

“Ready to be Mrs Andrea Riverstone?’’

“I am.’’

“Rea?’’

Rea turned just to see Scarlett peeping through the door. She came in quite easily even in her round form. ‘’I didn’t wanna miss this part.’’

Rea hurried to embrace her and that was when the tears came. ‘’I thought you had changed your mind.’’

“I would never do that. Don’t forget you’re my best friend.’’

They both laughed and cried at the same time and Rea touched her friend’s round stomach. ‘’it’s huge and beautiful.’’

“thank you.’’ she sniffed. ‘’now enough of all the mushy mushy and go get your prince.’’

Rea giggled and ran into her father’s arms who led her out into the church building and down the aisle.

Once she stepped onto the path that led to the aisle, she could see nothing else. No one else apart from Ryan Riverstone and his handsome face smiling at her as she headed towards him.

From that moment on, she knew she was his, and he was hers.

Infact, they belonged together.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’

Scarlett watched from the room where Rea had just left and couldn’t describe how she felt at that moment. She was so excited and sober at the same time. She was happy for Rea but there was a little sadness that tugged at her heart reminding her that she would have been the one walking down that aisle if she hadn’t become a baby mama.

She knew it was her flesh that made her feel guilty and she needed the soothing voice of the Spirit to comfort her. She was getting past that life of feeling sorry for herself and basking in past mistakes.

She wasn’t going to let them ruin her future.

‘’hey..’’

Scarlett turned to see Josh standing behind her and she almost fainted but he was fast to reach her in time before she fell.

“you okay?’’ he queried

She nodded when he helped her settle on the chaise lounge present in the room. He was grateful for the throw pillows that he found lying about in the room and helped her to it at her request.

‘’wow’’ was all he could say when he saw how huge she was looking with his baby.

‘’I have to join the congregation.’’ She managed. She wanted to get away from him as soon as possible. It seemed as if the baby wasn’t the only thing responsible for skyrocketing hormones.

Josh was.

“how have you been?’’

“Great. And you?’’

“Miserable without you.’’ he looked into her eyes then and it was then she noticed he was unshaven. He had left his beards to grow and he looked older this time.

His hands went to her stomach but she stopped him. ‘’please don’t’’

“please, just this once. At least let me feel my baby.’’ She settled on the chair and allowed him to touch her stomach, watching his hands move in slow motion.

He further begged. ‘’please, can I see it?’’

“Josh, please…’’

“I won’t do anything compromising I promise.’’ He pleaded and he helped her to unfold her gown so that her stomach could be revealed.

“its beautiful.’’ He murmured.

Scarlett inhaled sharply when he kissed her stomach and splayed his hands on her womb. ‘’I bet it’ll be a girl who’ll look just like you.’’ he smiled. It was then she saw his eyes rimming with tears when he pressed his ears close to her and it took everything within her not to rake her hands through his thick wavy hair while he lingered affectionately against her round form..

She pulled down her gown immediately. ‘’I guess that will be all for now.’’ She was glad her face was dry and she sounded bold. She got up from the Chaise lounge and smoothened her hair and her dress.

“how’s Gavin?’’

“he’s doing great.’’

she nodded. ‘’I can handle myself from here so no need to look out for me.’’ she picked her purse and headed out of the room trying to gain access into the congregation without getting too much attention drawn to herself.

It was when she settled that she realized Josh had still not found God and bit her lip in agony.

“how long o Lord?…, how long will it take him to seek you and find you?’’
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 7:06am On Jun 05, 2013
EPISODE 19

Rea’s wedding was going so well and she couldn’t be more grateful that everyone she loved was present while God spilled so much love for herself and Ryan coming back together again to get married

Who would have known?

Susan got interrupted by her baby girl Melanie most especially when she had to excuse herself to breastfeed her or change her diapers.

But the girl was a good sport and apart from her grandparents carrying her, everyone else wanted to carry her. and Susan was glad to be relieved and didn’t take time heading to the dance floor to join the bride and the groom.

Scarlett laughed when Sue came over to pull her to the dance floor because she knew she wasn’t going to no matter how much she was persuaded. Her parents were also present and joined the fun for a while before coming over to join her.

She knew by five, she had to hit the road back home.

Ryan came towards her and smiled into her eyes. ‘’and would this beautiful lady mind dancing with me and put this young lad out of his misery.’’

Scarlett blushed out of excitement and the love shown to her by everyone around and would have refused but saw Rea’s pleading eyes over her father’s shoulder and so she gave in.

Afterall, the song playing wasn’t a hippy one anymore but a slow melodious one that she just needed to sway to.

She received his hand and followed him to the dance floor placing her hands in his and they moved so easily to the song playing. Rea had chosen a perfect song for her wedding. ‘I won’t Let you go’ by Rascal Flatts. She was so much in love with the song and knew she wouldn’t mind if it was played on her wedding day too.

“you okay?’’ he murmured against her ears

She smiled sadly. ‘’I’m fine Ryan. The only thing you owe me is taking good care of my friend and making her happy.’’

“She’s my bestfriend.’’

Scarlett swallowed tears. ‘’and you’ve become hers, from now on. I’m not her bff anymore, you are and you’ll always be, never forget that.’’

“I wont.’’

“good.’’ She smiled into his eyes and hugged him.

“Can I have this dance?’’ someone interrupted and Scarlett turned to see it was Josh.

The way he appeared out of nowhere amazed her.

Ryan smiled into her eyes and nodded like he understood. She wouldn’t be surprised if himself and Rea had planned this.

She took Josh’s hand and he pulled her into his arms gently, her fullness the only thing between them. He placed his lips close to her hair and they moved slowly and simultaneously as one of his hands rested on her back to pull her close while the other held her hands in his.

It took him double self-control not to trace his fingers down her elbow and unto her soft skin. The memory of how soft she felt still dangled in his memory vividly.

“I’ve missed you.’’

She rested her head on his shoulder and threw an arm on his neck while the other rested in his as they danced. She didn’t say a word but they just kept moving as the song changed to Shania Twain’s From this moment’ and she kept telling herself not to cry but just keep dancing.

Though she didn’t talk or mention a word while they danced alone, Josh appreciated the fact that she still Loved him, she wanted the best for him, would wait for him and she carried half of himself and half of herself inside her womb.

He could feel a slight kick as they danced and they parted. Josh knew fully well what it was and he smiled glad that he could partake briefly in something that belonged to them both

He was happy and wished everything would sort out itself soon.

‘Soon’ he told himself

Scarlett left him some minutes after to go home.

But she didn’t look back to say goodbye.

‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Scarlett smiled tiredly when she saw her mother standing above her in the hospital. The older woman returned her smile and pulled her hair away from her face.

“Congratulations sweetheart.’’

Scarlett heard her baby crying and choked on her emotions when the boy was brought to her. she was tired and exhausted after pushing and panting and screaming but that didn’t prevent her from stretching her hands for her son.

“hey you.’’ she smiled and leaned forward to kiss him. He looked so sweet and innocent and cute. And his eyes stared blankly back at her when she laughed and kissed him again.

Soon enough she was crying on him.

The boy started crying again and the nurse collected the baby from her to clean him up while her mother stayed with her.

‘’it’s okay. You don’t have to cry. You should be grateful to God. With everything you’ve been through. For the kind of people you’re surrounded with and how much you’ve gained back when God restored your soul. Not everyone has a chance to return but you did and look at you. strong as oak.’’

Scarlett turned her face away and she tried to wipe her tears with the back of her hand before her mother handed her a Kleenex.

“I still love him. infact, I’m scared I might just run to him if he comes to me. I’ve handed it over to God but sometimes, I just cant bear the torture I feel when I don’t hear from him.’’

“it’s okay. I understand. God understands’’

“David is such a beautiful boy. His son. I told him about the name and he didn’t mind at all. He was so calm over the phone and I got scared that I might be losing him finally. What if he finds another woman? What if he falls in love with someone else? What if he doesn’t want to seek God?’’

“shhhh…., you bother your little head too much. The last time I checked, God was the one I handed all my problems to. If not, I don’t know how I would have survived.’’ Alex kept patting her hair. ‘’you just keep your focus on God and just keep loving him no matter what. And whatever happens, know that he loves you and would never stop loving you. everything he does is for our own good. He would never do you wrong.’’

Scarlett sniffed and nodded smiling briefly at her mum. She looked up towards the window where the curtains had been drawn finally and she saw Josh in a hooded sweater and blinked.

Nobody was there. Was she beginning to hallucinate?

“Ma’am, your son’’

She blinked again and received her son from the nurse once more smiling into his face this time, and kissing his fist and his face. Every single part of him she cherished.

‘’he’s so beautiful.’’ Alex wiped a tear from her eye as Scarlett passed the baby to her with these words. ‘’hello David, say hello to Grandma. Grandpa will be here pretty soon.’’

‘’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’’

Josh moved away quickly and hid himself behind the door before peeping again. The other time, Scarlett saw him but she thought it was an illusion and he once again, praised himself for wearing the hooded jacket as that did a good job of hiding his identity.

He normally didn’t dress like that but for this purpose he had to.

He saw his baby and wished he could go inside and carry him the way Alex did. And he’d loved to say the words, ‘’hey big guy, say hi to Daddy.’’

But he couldn’t. Scarlett wouldn’t want him to and he had to prove to her that he loved her enough to keep seeking God’s face and that he would do. He wished he had been there to hold her hand while she pushed, he wished he had been there to kiss her deeply after she succeeded in delivery. He wish he was the one there right now, talking and laughing with her, making sure she didn’t cry because everything was going to be fine.

And he knew he really had to keep calling God’s name to reveal himself to him before he lost Scarlett forever.

He saw her father enter into her hospital room and he shifted away.

It was time to go.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

A year later

Josh opened the door and peeped into his son’s room. It had been a while Demi left them but she visited often. Scarlett kept her part of the deal by sending him pictures and videos of his son’s growth and birthday party when he clocked one since he just did yesterday. He sent her some cash but she rejected it and told him not to worry.

She talked about her new job briefly since she was back to teaching and was considering a project she wanted to engage in to help homeless children. Afterwards, their conversation would end awkwardly.

‘’should I tuck you in?’’

Gavin looked up. ‘’I think I’m getting too old to be tucked in.’’ they both laughed and Josh entered his room while he wrapped up whatever he was doing on the computer

‘’bedtime story?’’

“nah, I just want to pray and go to bed.’’

“Okay.’’

He was about leaving the room when Gavin called out. ‘’Dad, please, do you mind us praying together. even if it’s just tonight.’’

Josh raised his eyebrows and shrugged. ‘’okay. If that’s what you want.’’

Gavin knelt down to pray and Josh felt awkward standing or sitting on the bed while his son knelt down and so he joined him too.

“Dear Lord, thank you for each day, for my mum wherever she is and for my Daddy who you love so much. Thank you for aunt Demi who was kind enough to raise me with Daddy before leaving and thank you for me. thank you for today and every other day Dad goes to work and comes back safe and sound. Thank you that you keep us safe even with all the bad things that happen on TV. Thank you for Miss Ruby and everyone presently on earth.

I ask that you bless me, my mum, my Dad, aunt Demi, Grandpa J.J and Grandma and Miss Ruby. Send your angel to keep watch over us. Amen.’’

“amen.’’ Josh stood up and smiled briefly at his son watching him hop into bed on his own accord.

He pulled the covers over him. ‘’Goodnight Daddy.’’

Josh kissed him. ‘’night’’

He switched off the light and closed the door behind him thinking about his son’s simple but beautiful prayer. So unselfish and loving. He smiled as he thought about the part of God keeping him safe from harm whenever he went to work.

Did God actually concern himself with little things like that? He wondered. Well in his own book, he didn’t think so. He just happened to drive carefully and obey the traffic lights. And as for security, he had adequate security to keep himself and his son safe.

He yawned and stretched heading to his room when he realized he was tired and he was going to rise early tomorrow and prepare breakfast for Gavin and everything else that was necessary.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

When Josh dropped Gavin to school, he realized he was late and had to get to work in time. The traffic was less by the time he was heading to work and he was glad he might make it sooner than he thought.

The red traffic light came on and he pulled the brakes and he used that as an opportunity to answer the call that came through his phone at that time.

It was an old client.

Since it was hands free, he was able to respond without much ado and they chatted briefly till the lights turned green and he moved. It was at this moment a large truck came from nowhere and before Josh could understand what in the world was going on, there was a loud crash against his car and he snapped out.
Re: Life Afterwards by Eneze1(f): 8:41am On Jun 06, 2013
Am really really enjoying this piece, teeluv u r the bomb smiley
Re: Life Afterwards by teeluv(m): 9:41am On Jun 06, 2013
Episode 20..

"hey’’ someone tapped him and he looked up into a man’s unfamiliar face. He felt groggy and his vision was blurry. His air bag pushed against him almost suffocating him but the man extended his hand and helped him out.

He rubbed his forehead that was aching and felt the hot liquid against his head trickling down his face. ‘’thanks.’’

“you’re welcome.’’ He replied with a smile.

He suddenly felt weird and people came running towards him. ‘’hey man? You okay? How did you come out of there alive?’’

“all I know is I snapped out before this man came over to….’’ He turned to look at the man that helped him out of the suffocating air bag but he was gone.

He swiveled and kept looking awkwardly. ‘’there was a man here, in blue shirt and Jeans. He was the first person to come to my rescue.’’

People looked around and turned to look at him awkwardly. ‘’there was nobody here man. We saw the accident happen right in front of us and we called an ambulance immediately for fear that you might have gone into a coma with serious injury cos that truck crashed into the side of your car where you were sitting directly. Even the airbag wouldn’t have been enough to save you.’’

Josh shivered, the hair on his body stood out and he swallowed realizing the man’s analysis was true. His life would have been snuffed out just like that but somehow, a miracle had just happened to him.

He would have died, leaving Gavin, David, Scarlett and his family behind. He looked at his car and knew that no human could have survived the crash

But who was the man who had pulled him out? Where in the world was he?

Everything suddenly began to fix themselves together like puzzles and he trembled knowing this was much more than ordinary.

Something supernatural had just happened to him

His heart began to beat faster on the sudden realization of who the man was or might have been.

He was definitely not human. He was an angel.

The angel Gavin always prayed to God for.

Soon the paramedics came to his aid.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

One week later

Scarlett was reading the paper in the kitchen while David sat in his walker with his cereal before him, his beeper and cheeks stained with food while he kept playing with his spoon and yelling happy sounds. His mother ignored him since it was the usual bantering noise he made when he ate and when he took a bath.

When he played with Grandpa, it was worse.

She saw an apartment that caught her attention and kept looking at it for a while glad that it was in the buzz of the city and she would get a nanny to look after her child once she went to work. Infact, it wasn’t even far from her current place of work unlike here where she had to drive to work everyday while her mother watched over David.

She had to leave her parents’ house soon. She had stayed long enough and she wasn’t getting any younger. She was 28 going to 29 and if Josh had decided to go a different path, she needed to go hers pretty soon and probably start dating again hopefully with the intention of giving her son a good father and a godly spouse.

No mistakes would be repeated.

God had taken her far for her to start seeing things his way and if he decided she would be a single mother till she died, then so be it.

Life wasn’t a do or die affair anymore for her.

‘’David, stop playing with your food.’’ She cautioned absent-mindedly while marking the one she was going to get a look at probably after cleaning up her son. She got the number of the agent and was about dialing the number when David squealed and pushed his plate on the floor.

She dropped the phone angrily and bent down to pick his plate and clean the floor.

“the next time you act silly, I’ll spank you real good.’’ She threatened and he stared at her quietly like he knew he had done something wrong.

The bell rang and she sighed removing her apron. She knew she had added so much weight when she delivered David but was losing some pounds already due to work and the stress of taking care of a baby.

Right now, she didn’t even have time to think of herself. David mattered most.

The bell rang again.

“I’m coming!’’ she wondered why her parents didn’t answer the door when it was their house. Jerking the door open, she almost fainted at the sight before her.

“Josh?’’

“hello Scarlett.’’ He held the flowers in his hand and for the first time she could remember, she thought he was a little nervous when he stood before her. He still looked the same after a year and some months.

And then she realized her prayers had been answered when he grabbed her to kiss her.

And she returned the kiss with the same fervor and passion he gave to her holding him tightly to her and hoping it won’t end.

“oh Josh.’’ She swallowed when they both broke free for air. The flowers were already mashed up but she didn’t care. she touched his face to assess his features as if taking it all in and then her hands went to his hair.

He embraced her this time. ‘’oh baby, I now see what you’ve been telling me all this while. What you and Demi and Gavin were doing for me. I was such an ungrateful fool who was living an empty life but now I see it all. I suddenly saw my life flashing before my eyes the day I had an accident and realized I didn’t own my life and would have died without doing much on earth. Even the little good I had done didn’t seem good enough at that moment and for the first time in my life, I witnessed a supernatural miracle in my life.’’

“oh Josh, thank God for you.’’ she was already crying. ‘’thank God my prayers have been answered.’’

“you were all praying for me. Gavin, Demi and you baby.’’ His tears joined hers when they kissed again.

Scarlett didn’t realize she had missed him so much till now and her body responded so easily to his till she trembled.

They both realized what was happening and parted embracing each other again.

“I love you.’’ he mumbled

“and I love you Joshua.’’ She replied as her hands strolled to his back.

“let’s get married soon.’’

She nodded glad that he understood their present feelings and the way sparks flew when they touched. When they kissed, it was fire.

She released him and held his hand leading him to the kitchen. ‘’David’s in the kitchen. Come be a daddy.’’

Josh laughed and slid his hands through her waist kissing her cheeks fondly while teasing her that she had added a little weight. They entered the kitchen together and Josh stopped when he saw David.

He was beautiful and the boy looked back at him before wiggling his hands that he wanted his mother’s attention.

The boy was so much more than what he saw in the pictures Scarlett sent. He had brown hair but took his eyes.

Hazel eyes.

He had thought the boy would take Scarlett’s eyes like Gavin did with his mum. But this boy was so identical to him and he could see the little features in his face.

Gavin was going to have a junior brother growing up with him.

‘’David here is a jealous one just like you.’’ Scarlett giggled when David held unto her like she was running away or rather, that she was giving someone else attention.

Josh laughed and touched his son’s cheeks slightly. ‘’hiya tiger! Say hi to Daddy.’’ He came close to Scarlett while she urged their son to greet his father.

David stared at him blankly

Josh stretched his hands towards him but the child recoiled. He felt rejected but Scarlett encouraged him further.

The second time, he went into his father’s arms and Josh felt a flood of relief wash over him when David stayed in his arms but without saying anything.

He was going to be patient and knew David would come to love him as a father after a while.

“you made a beautiful child. Won’t mind us having more when we get married’’ Josh looked into Scarlett’s eyes and lowered his lips to hers once more. They were so engrossed in each other they didn’t notice Alexandra walk in on them.

At first sight, she was taken aback but relaxed because she knew something most definitely had happened.

She just knew and at that moment, she was grateful. Not wanting to interrupt them, she quietly excused them and went back upstairs, waiting for Scarlett to call her and tell her about everything

Scarlett and Josh got married that weekend in Hawaii. A private wedding between family and friends like Sue and Andrea and everyone couldn’t be happier for them.

With the look on their face when they each said “I do” no one could think differently about them wanting to be together.

It was like they were made for each other.

They wanted to spend a couple of days in Hawaii and then, fly over to Paris afterwards before touring the United Arab Emirates just to have time to themselves and visit places they’ve never been to before.

A whole month to themselves was what they wanted and Josh had made arrangements to see that happen. Gavin and David were going to be staying with their grandparents and since David was no longer nursing, Scarlett had the chance to be free from motherhood for a while.

Everyone danced in excitement. Father and bride danced, bride and groom danced as both of them wore white. Josh was in white pants and shirt while Scarlett wore a long white gown that reached her feet with flowers on her hair that was already beginning to develop curls again. Josh had insisted she leave it as curls.

He loved her full curly hair and looking at her as they said their vows, she looked like a princess. His princess and he knew she would be his princess as long as he lived.

When they kissed, the sparks flew and people clapped and cheered, while Gavin teased his new parents to get a room when they kissed longer than usual.

David just squealed in excitement and played with every individual that carried him or danced with him as he moved his diaper butt or jumped on his feet as the songs played.

As for the Ruby’s and the Riley’s, their bond of friendship renewed that day and their blessings were offered unto their children as the two became one that day.

When they retired at night and Scarlett rested in her husband’s arms, she looked into his face and watched him stir in his sleep. She loved this man, no doubt. She had loved him ever since that night he came to her at the backyard and sat on the swing with her and although she had been foolish and made so many mistakes, hurting herself, her family and God in the way, she had grown to be matured and strong. That one year and seven months she had left him to seek God hoping he would do the same had made her who she was today. She had never known she would be strong enough to stay on her own without Josh but God had shown her she could and she had. Night and Day she prayed for Josh and Gavin, prayed that God would touch him and bring him to Christ and she prayed for her own heart so that God could mend it and make Jesus the priority in her Life. He was the lover of her soul and she would live for him no matter what.

Josh had shared his story and he was still growing but he grew progressively to God’s glory. Although he still had his old characters, she could tell he had come to Love and see God the way she did and displayed so much humility in prayer. Even when they had bible study, he was ever ready to learn from her.

But it was just in one week she noticed this and tonight marked the beginning of their real lives together

She pulled the sheet up to her bosom and was about standing up when his hands tightened on her waist.

“hey.’’ He greeted half sleepy. ‘’is it morning yet?’’

“no sweetie.’’ She smiled and leaned close to kiss him fully on the lips. He smiled and pulled her closer on top of him trying to get rid of the sheets.

“I have to use the bathroom.’’ She laughed and pushed him away when he released her.

“don’t stay long.’’

She shook her head and hurried to the bathroom locking the door behind her.

When she got inside and sat on the closet, she closed her eyes and thanked God once more.

For Josh, for her marriage to him, for forgiving them both, for her kids, for her family and most importantly, for how much Love he had shown her and was still showing her

Infact, for everything.

THE END..
Would appreciate all thoughts and comments please..
Re: Life Afterwards by Cavalli(f): 8:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
can onli say hmmm inshot u r ten much.more grease to ur elbow u da bst n thankz for d constant update u da best among da rest

(1) (2) (Reply)

Diary Of A Lagos Housegirl 2 / The Greatest Risk. / Paper King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 307
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.