Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,382 members, 7,864,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:29 AM

Ibadan Fire: N500m Property Lost – Council Bosst - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Ibadan Fire: N500m Property Lost – Council Bosst (479 Views)

Ibadan Fire: Millions Of Property Lost – Council Boss / Mad Man Takes Over Council Office In Akwa Ibom / New IGP: Jonathan, Police council settle for Suleiman Abba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ibadan Fire: N500m Property Lost – Council Bosst by tolex34(m): 12:39am On Apr 24, 2013
IBADAN — Residents of Omitowoju area of Ibadan where there was a fire outbreak, Monday night, have been counting their losses.

Many houses and shops were burnt in the incident but there was no casualty.

When Vanguard visited the scene ,Tuesday, thousands of sympathisers thronged the area complaining about the carelessness of the driver of the fuel tanker that emptied its 33,000 litres of fuel on the road.

Many traders who spoke with Vanguard pleaded with Governor Abiola Ajimobi to come to their aid as they had lost their hard-earned livelihood to the fire incident.

The Caretaker Chairman of Ibadan North West Local Government Area, Mr. Wasiu Olatunbosun, said over N500 million worth of property was lost in the incident.

According to him, over 70 houses and shops were razed.

He blamed the incident on negligence on the part of the tanker driver, adding that the fire was so serious that he had to call on a company nearby to assist in putting it out.
Things burnt included deep freezers, beverages, tailoring materials among others.
He disclosed that the fuel had contaminated the water supply and electricity.
To prevent the affected residents from drinking polluted water, he said an order had been given for a tanker of drinkable water to be stationed in the area for the people.
One of the affected traders, Mrs.  Aminat Afolabi, said: “I lost over N600, 000 worth of goods to the fire. What came to my mind was how to survive with those very vulnerable ones under me including my child. I join my people to appeal to the government not to abandon us in this terrible moment.”
Another shop owner, Mrs. Ajoke Joel, said she lost property worth millions of naira.
Vanguard also gathered that a new Toyota Camry car which the owner was showing to his friends was burnt.
Some government officials were seen taking down the names of the affected traders, yesterday.

A building burning after a fuel-laden tanker caught fire on Atowoda Street at Inalende in Ibadan, Monday night. Photo: Dare Fasube.

(1) (Reply)

Kano Arms Cache Belongs To Hezbollah — DSS / Outrage In Imo Over Alleged Plot To Free Rogue Police Officers, others / Police Nab Man Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.