Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:29 AM

Satellite Communication - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Satellite Communication (640 Views)

What Do You Know About Nigeria’s Communication Satellites? / Jonathan Awards $40million To Israeli Company To Monitor Internet Communication / Visafone Usb Morderm (visafone Communication) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Satellite Communication by ASIWAJULAD: 5:45pm On Apr 25, 2013
WHO IS GONNA HELP WID THIS?

I am working on the effect of dish size on reception for my final year project. I was asked to get three to four satellite

television antennas(Parabolic reflectors)of different diameters and put them on the same frequency bands(C band, Ku band and Ka

band)and compare the effect of their different sizes on reception on each of these bands.

I found out that there is no substitute for more signals from a bigger dish; that a dish needs to be about 40% wider to produce twice

the signal received; a 1.2m dish will give nearly 50% more signal than a 1m dish. I later saw a table from a footprint map giving the

conventional sizes of dishes with their respetive EIRPs in dBW.It is depicted below.
EIRP(dBW) ; Dish Sizes(cm)
35 ; 300
40 ; 180
42 ; 160
44 ; 120
46 ; 95
48 ; 75
50 ; 60
51 ; 55
52 ; 50
53 ; 45
54 ; 40

It was concluded that EIRP IS A MEASURE OF SIGNAL STRENGTH. HOW WERE THESE EIRPs DERIVED FROM THE RESPECTIVE DISH SIZE? Yeterday,

while in the library I found out that the satellite in space have their own EIRPs and also that the Satellite antennas on earth also

have theirs.

Though, I saw a formula for EIRP Which is EIRP= Transmitter Power(dBm)+Antenna Gain(dB)-Feedline Loss. I perceive that this formula

is for EIRPs of earth stations. BUT,HOW DO I CALCULATE THE TRANSMITTER'S POWER, IT'S NOT STATED ON THIS DISHES LNB OR MANUAL?

I quite know that the antenna gain is given as G= Antenna Efficiency x the square of(piD/Wavelength). Do not mind my representation,

I can't write it properly at my end here. the antenna efficiency is presumed to be 55%, some say 70%, 80%? WHAT SPECFIC FREQUENCIES

DO I USE IN THE RANGES OF C BAND, KU BAND AND KA BAND IN THE CALCULATION OF MY GAIN?

I quite know that the feedline loss is the losses in the coaxial cable and I read '75 Ohms RG U6' from a coaxial cable that connects

the LNB to the decoder. I went online to check its rating, I saw that the 75 Ohmsindicated the impedance and I saw a voltage rating

of 2700Vrms. The Power loss, I presume should be given as P=V squared/ Z i.e 2700 squared/75. THESE ARE MY PRESUMPTIONS, HOW DO I GO

ABOUT IT?

THANK YOU!!!

KIND REGARDS!!

HOW DO I GO ABOUT IT WITH ALL I HAVE PUT ABOVE?

(1) (Reply)

Use Technology-customer Service Recruiting Ideas / Apple Unveils Ios7, Everything You Need To Know / US Army Plans ‘iron Man’ Armor For Soldiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.