Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,517 members, 7,819,864 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) (684 Views)

Graphic Photos From Horrific Accident In Port Harcourt Today / Scenes From The Dangote Truck Accident In Asaba (graphic Photos) / Four Women Mysteriously Die In Awka, Amambra State.(Graphic Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by nilzz: 6:12am On Apr 27, 2013
NO fewer than 12 persons killed yesterday in the heart of Awka, Anambra State when a tanker carrying palm kernel oil lost its brakes and rammed into Bus Park on the foot of the pedestrian cross at the popular UNIZIK junction in the town.
Several people who sustained various degrees of injuries were rushed to various hospitals in the Anambra State capital for treatment.
ACCIDENT AT UNIZIK JUNCTION ON ENUGU–ONITSHA EXPRESS WAY IN AWKA.jpg
ACCIDENT AT UNIZIK JUNCTION ON ENUGU–ONITSHA EXPRESS WAY IN AWKA.jpg
The tanker, which was coming from the Enugu end of the Enugu –Onitsha expressway, lost control as it was descending the UNIZIK slope and hit a bus loaded with passengers and then dragged the same bus into the very busy motor park where it damaged about seven other buses.
Among those who either lost their lives or sustained injuries were drivers, motor park operators and recharge card sellers.
The tanker, which somersaulted severally as it was hitting other vehicles, had its body cut into pieces and its contents spilled along the road and in the motor park.
The impact of the summersault of the tanker adversely affected the beams of the pedestrian bridge, thus making part of the bridge to lose its alignment.
The accident, which happened at the time offices had closed for the day, caused an excruciating traffic jam on the road as many people stopped at the scene.
Men of the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, the Nigerian Army, the Police and other good spirited people volunteered their vehicles for conveying the wounded persons to the hospital.
A similar accident on the same spot last year claimed five lives, but the difference was that the one of last year did not get to the motor park.
Sympathizers at the scene of the accident yesterday said there is need to relocate the various motor parks which have their loading bays beside the expressway to avoid such accidents in future.

Source: Vanguard

http://.com/2013/04/12-killed-in-auto-accident-in-awka.html
Re: 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by Gboliwe: 7:02am On Apr 27, 2013
I was on the other lane when this accident happened. Coming into Awka from Osha. That UniZik junction was where I was to alight. I saw it and almost threw up.
Re: 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by Nobody: 7:08am On Apr 27, 2013
Pls is there no way d govt. Can put a regulation on all these big vehicles plying route, laws like dem being serviced properly b4 going on roads, I wonder if cases like dese happen in developed countries cus I barely hear such! Its very disheartening considering d fact dat a similar incident like dis killed one of my very pweety friendd in Ph city. Pls sumtin needs 2 b done criously
Re: 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by Gboliwe: 7:10am On Apr 27, 2013
I am trying to post a picture but I don't seem to be able to.
May the lives of the dead rest in peace
Re: 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by SmarisAjur(f): 8:11am On Apr 27, 2013
Gboliwe: I am trying to post a picture but I don't seem to be able to.
May the lives of the dead rest in peace
Amen.
Re: 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by CrazyMan(m): 10:52am On Apr 27, 2013
Gboliwe: I was on the other lane when this accident happened. Coming into Awka from Osha. That UniZik junction was where I was to alight. I saw it and almost threw up.
I'm telling you...it was really terrible. cry
Re: 12 Killed In Auto Accident In Awka!!!(look) by Gboliwe: 12:06pm On Apr 27, 2013
CrazyMan:
I'm telling you...it was really terrible. cry
12 people died already according to vanguard. The menace of this brake failure problem is alarming. Now nobody was spared- passengers standing around, those in the UNIZIK shuttle, those in Romchi's park.
In Nigeria, everyday one goes out and comes in safe, healthy and alive, I think its not wrong to just give God thanks. The battles we fight consciously and subconsciously in this country is enormous.

(1) (Reply)

Wonder Shall Never End Oooo. Oboiiii / After Math Of The Talented 13 Yrs Old Boy. / My Observation About Jim Iyke's Deliverance At SCOAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.