Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,958 members, 7,821,376 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Bank Robber Says He Gave Stolen Cash To Poor - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Bank Robber Says He Gave Stolen Cash To Poor (621 Views)

Female NTA Newscaster Disarms Robber (Pictured) / Benue Villagers Burn Bank Robber Suspect To Death (Graphic Photos) / Brave Victim Kills Bank Robber Who Tried To Rob Him Of N900,000 In Oyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bank Robber Says He Gave Stolen Cash To Poor by webaplanet(m): 9:22am On May 01, 2013
An Australian man charged with robbing a US bank of \$140,000 has told a court his actions were justified because he gave much of the money to people made homeless due to bank repossessions.

Corey Donaldson, 39, who is representing himself, told the jury he was using the banks to bailout the poor after becoming homeless himself last year and meeting people on the streets.

In an emotional opening statement Donaldson said: "I must say, I feel like a frightened child.

"I came up with the idea that since the banks had been bailed out, and the people had not, I was going to confiscate money from US Bank in Jackson, Wyoming, and redistribute it to the poor and homeless in America and that's what I did," he said.

Donaldson, who has lived in the US for 20 years, is accused of claiming explosives were planted around the bank while carrying out the robbery on New Year's Eve.

Jared Thomas Williams, branch manager of the bank, said Donaldson met him in his office on the day of the robbery.

He added that Donaldson told him members of a Mexican cartel were outside the building and were prepared to blow it up if Mr Williams did not give him \$2m (£1.29m) in cash.

"There were four military-grade explosives that had been buried in the snow, and they were prepared to detonate them," Mr Williams said Donaldson told him.

Mr Williams said he loaded \$140,000 (£90,000) - nearly all the cash in the bank - into a duffel bag before giving it to Donaldson.

Donaldson was arrested in Utah after he was identified on surveillance cameras in the bank.

A close friend of his, Kevin Day, had called police after Donaldson arrived at his home late one night and told him where to find \$8,000 (£5,150).

Mr Day testified that he had been close friends with Donaldson for 16 years, adding he became emotional when he received the money as it came at a good time.

Investigators say they they recovered about \$30,000 (£19,309) after Donaldson's arrest. Donaldson told an FBI agent shortly after that he had intended to surrender.

The trial is expected to last a week.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/bank-robber-says-gave-stolen-cash-poor-024033963.html#cXnJ5f2

for more Odd news read http://tonykempis com

(1) (Reply)

How I Was Raped And Defrauded By Fake Prophet – Fashion Designer / NEMA Warns Lagosians Against Severe Weather&heavy Rain Tomorrow / Yahoo-yahoo-22 Year Old Student Arrested For Cyber Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.