Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,150 members, 7,953,559 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:58 PM

[b]hurray, NYSC Turns 40 This Month Of May. [/b] - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / [b]hurray, NYSC Turns 40 This Month Of May. [/b] (953 Views)

A Piece Of My Heart To Batch A 2015 Corps Members Passing Out This Month / Help! I Couldnt Do My Clearance For The Month Of Feb, How Do I Go About It / Hurray!!! NYSC To Start Dispatching 3 BATCHES In 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

[b]hurray, NYSC Turns 40 This Month Of May. [/b] by fxseven(m): 3:23pm On May 02, 2013
Hurray, NYSC turns 40 this month of May.
For those of who have served, still serving or aspiring to serve, how many of you knew the history, and objectives of the NYSC scheme? Well read this and express your opinion on NYSC at 40. Suggest ways you think NYSC should do better. Happy reading!
[center]The National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) was established in 1973 by the government of Gen. Yakubu Gowon for "The proper encouragement and development of common ties.....and the promotion of national unity and development". This was through Decree No 24 of 22nd May 1973. In the following month, precisely 4th June, the administrative organ known as the Directorate- Governing board was inaugurated for 'policy formulation', overall supervision of the service corps and for drawing up of detailed programmes for the realization of set objectives.

The scheme finally commenced business on 2nd July 1973, with the mobilization of and deployment of 2,364 participants to all the 12 states of the federation. The objectives of the scheme as spelled out by the establishing decree include:
(a) To inculcate discipline in Nigerian youths by instilling in them a tradition of industry at work, and of patriotic and loyal service to Nigeria in any situation they might find themselves.
(b) To raise the moral tone of the Nigerian youths by given them the opportunity to learn about higher ideals of national achievement, social and cultural improvement.
(c) To develop the Nigerian youths, the attitudes of mind, acquired through shared experience and suitable training, which will make them amenable to mobilization.
(d) To enable Nigerian youths acquire the spirit of self-reliance by encouraging them to develop skills for self employment.
(e) To contribute to the accelerated growth of the national economy.
(f) To develop common ties among the Nigerian youths and promote national unity and integration.
(g) To remove prejudice, eliminate ignorance and confirm at first hand, the many similarities among Nigerians of all ethnic groups; and
(h) To develop a sense of corporate existence and common destiny of the people of Nigeria.
Ask me, I will tell you that NYSC has done well in the last four decades. What do you also think?
[/center]
Re: [b]hurray, NYSC Turns 40 This Month Of May. [/b] by fxseven(m): 2:23pm On May 03, 2013
The little things that make NYSC tick.

Re: [b]hurray, NYSC Turns 40 This Month Of May. [/b] by fxseven(m): 2:33pm On May 03, 2013
Youth energy being channeled for the development of the nation.

(1) (Reply)

Call Up Letter / Akwa Ibom Stream 2 Nysc Batch B 2015 / Youth Corper Who Needs A Ppa in OgunThat Pays!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.