Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,249 members, 7,853,257 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 01:14 PM

Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? - Entertainment (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? (50523 Views)

Top 5 Ugliets Babes On Nigerian Television/entertainment Scene. / Would You Rather Give Up Music Or Television For A Month? / What Kind Of Television Programmes Do Nigerians Enjoy And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by ceaser: 8:40am On May 05, 2013
Tropilo: Technology changes and improves with time.

We used to have a more modernized version of that telly. Ours was with a very sensitive touch button for changing chennels and if you shut the right door the telly went off. We also had d panasonic video machine that was a big as a photocopying machine.

Now 3D and HD tellies are here. Nawa!

Only GOD knows what will become of our present tellies in the future.
jhydebaba: sorry sir, na una suffer joor. I culd remember how u use to hit that TV when it fvcks up and how u ve to wait for NEPA before u can put it on cheesy today's children rocks joor.

You mean they rock somehow like this

1 Like

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by joshuaidibia(m): 9:06am On May 05, 2013
i only remember using dis in 1960.

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by ayomidefalaye(m): 9:12am On May 05, 2013
Yes my fathers television
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Grenade006: 9:20am On May 05, 2013
kampala soap advert, S.T soap advert, Iru Eshin etc
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by bababuff(m): 9:33am On May 05, 2013
BONANZA

*Dan Blocker, Penney Robert, Michael Landon, Long Green* cool

1 Like

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by naptu2: 9:35am On May 05, 2013
bababuff: BONANZA

Ah! cheesy Michael Landon, Long Green! Memories!

1 Like

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by danaz(m): 9:46am On May 05, 2013
willie-wille
pot of life
kokori and demudia..so we called it then.

lyf appears beta those tyms
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Costa2000(m): 10:17am On May 05, 2013
tales by moonlight and co
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by naptu2: 10:24am On May 05, 2013
IWA wrestling was more entertaining, but NWA was BLOODY! It feature:

Dusty Rhodes, "The Wild Samoans" Afa and Sika, Killer Khan, Ivan Putsky, "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair, Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, "Luscious" Johnny Valentine, Mr Fuji and Mr Saito, Dory Funk, Jose Lothario, Harley Race, Ken Patera, Andre "The Giant", Ted De Biase, Psycho Negro/Negro Casa, Chief Jay Strongbow and Chief Jules Strongbow, S.D. "Special Delivery" Jones, etc
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by spence002(m): 10:34am On May 05, 2013
Man this nah sliding door o, u no dey town if u no get am. I use to watch village headmaster, newsline etc. Gone are d days
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by goldfish80(m): 10:35am On May 05, 2013
bababuff: BONANZA

Them coowboys cool

1 Like

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by DonCarlos1(m): 10:54am On May 05, 2013
Second chance, Take a trip, sesame street, Doctor who, The Bala Miller show, Sunny side of life
Not forgetting the beautiful adverts and the interludes featuring Victor Uwaifo, Bongo Ikwue and the rest.
Gosh! Gone were the days.
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by mytym(m): 11:10am On May 05, 2013
Voltron,Sesame, Sunset at dawn,....but nobody mention ARELU (toromagbe) and Omo Araye Le

plus adverts like Cadbury's PRONTO and Laide Perfume jelly ; cheesy
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Enosent(m): 11:39am On May 05, 2013
Cock Crow at dawn
Dr. Who
Inglorious bastards
Django
G force
The good the bad and the ugly
Coco close
Mind your language
Second chance...
... I remember it had four screw able legs with slid doors and a key to lock it with. National, Sharp and Sanyo[color=#006600][/color]

1 Like

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by tonygee1(m): 11:50am On May 05, 2013
Clash of d titans, wiliwili
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by tonygee1(m): 11:50am On May 05, 2013
Clash of d titans, wiliwili,jagua
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by JMystique(m): 3:32pm On May 05, 2013
Thundersub,terrahawks,voltron,sesame street,danger mouse,the rich also cry....i remember watching rainbow lines or static impatiently waiting for 4'oclock
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by flyforall: 3:41pm On May 05, 2013
Tales by moonlight, heman, bill cosby show, voltron that's to mention but a few
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Gudiza(m): 3:55pm On May 05, 2013
Danger Mouse, Thunder Sub, G force, Voltron, Terra Hawks, #bounty the bouncing bazoooo#

RAMBO
Punisher
The Exorcist (Omo, see fear that year) undecided
Big Trouble In Little China - watched this one in my chinese neighbours house while eating their gum cheesy... FESTAC

Indian films;- MAD, TOOFAN, Mr. India 'Mogambo Khush Hua'

123.....CONTACT! (4pm was the time after school)
Great space coaster
Bright Sparks
Snoop, and Rev. K. C Price on Sundays
Live with Levi Ajunuma (RIP)
ELOPEE

Dr Who,
Robin hood - Salami, my favorite.
Allo Allo - they go 'heil Hitler' and 'Ohhh Renee' cheesy
Wili Wili,
Pop In Germany,
Moon Lightning - ft an unknown Bruce Willis
Mc Guiver
Jake and the Fat man, and that UPS advert.
Faulty Towers - Basol and Manuel grin
Yes Minister,
Mind Your Language,
Tele match,
Bundesliga etc, etc

Good days ??.... HEEELL YEAH!
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by dom(m): 4:19pm On May 05, 2013
bizybrain: Rainbow screen voltron Willi Willi rambo and commando. Such good memories they bring.

Rainbow screen This was a black and white television!!
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 05, 2013
Seems some of you have forgotten After the storm and Mad Dog (indian film) hehe
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Nobody: 6:28pm On May 05, 2013
Famous Five
Dr. No
Dr. Who
Demsey and Make Peace
Tom Grattans war
Sesame Street
Simon and Simon
Some mothers do have them (Frank Spencer and Betty)
Rent a ghost
Littlest Hobo (Loved that dog and wished ours was like it)

Voltron
Danger mouse
Tales by Moonlight
Speak Out
Kiddies Vision 101
Biker Mice from Mars
SuperTed
Hawaii five 0
Teenage mutant ninja turtles

hot catch
Ichioku
Village head master
New Masquerade
News line/Network News (Frank Olize, francis olomonsare reporting always). It was compulsory in my family that all kids watched news and slept by 9:45 after the news.
Watched news of Anini and Monday osunbor
Checkmate
Cockcrow at Dawn
Jagwa
Focus on Garbon (did not understand what was being said, but still watched it)
Baba Sala

etc. etc.

also saw Dracula, snake in the monkey shadow, boxer from shaotong, on this box.
I may be wrong but the world to me was a better place back then. The innocence, the peace, the neighbourly trust etc.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by shos: 7:59pm On May 05, 2013
Every_LadY: please if you are 18yrs and below,no need to comment.Can you remember this? Mention one program you watched on this box.
Village headmaster, Ireke onibudo
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by bigmeechfilms(m): 8:03pm On May 05, 2013
jimbo,baba suwe,fadeyi oloro,danger mouse,tales by moonlight,storyland,super ted,speedy racer,doctor who,terra hawk,thunder sub,abija,usa 1994,voltron,play super mario gon,cabury breakfast,terminator 1,star wars,moon lighting,total recall,robocop,superman,super woman,idi amin,frank oliseh on news line,tokunbo ajayi(rip) 9 o clock news,
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by eddmo(m): 8:31pm On May 05, 2013
C15,Avengers,Hammer house of horror,Hawaii 5'O,Terra Hawks,Samanja,Soul train ,Space 1999,Star Treks,Dr.Who,Diana And The jungle,Grace Kennedy show,it was so exiciting then.[/b]
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by Kaysalas(m): 10:45pm On May 05, 2013
smothly: Ahhhhhhh yes o,I rmbrd the tv set and that was a very long time shaa.
Then we used to fight for who's going to sit very close,lolzzzz.I thank God for today shaa.........
ur post reminds me of d beatings i chop for my elder siblings dem hand. All because of who go siddon for dat single chair wey near telly pass. I remember sesamy/e street, danger mouse and co... We use to stand at attention in front of d telly when d national anthem is being played. Yeah! Talk about PATRIOTIC naija children. NA WE BE DIS!
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by WarHorse1(m): 7:29am On May 06, 2013
Bigfoot and Wild boy, Another Life, Hotel De Jordan, starksy and Hultch, Gun smoke, Swat, A Team come to mind. It was Edo state - Then bendel state.
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by WarHorse1(m): 7:49am On May 06, 2013
It also reminds me of an incident. My dad locks the tele with a key that came with it when he goes out. so one day, we wanted to watch Tele-Match while he was away. We had a cutlery that had a pointed side and we tried to use it to open the tele door. lo and behold, it opened. It felt like Christopher columbus - a new discovry. We watched and watched until we heard my daddy's (now late) car horn. The object locked the door of the tele perfectly and we acted like centeris paribus (all things being equal.

Then my dad came in a said sometimes, he regreted locking the tele and that he watched and exciting program called Tele-Match and that it was a good one for children. Now the secret buster - our last born shouted "Daddy we watched it too". five of us, then seniors just walk away from the parlour and my dad called us back."How did you watch the program, where?". we all stood looking. He then asked the last born as she pointed to me, saying I openned it. I dont enter ground since cause my dad was a dead disciplinarian. 24 strokes of the cain was waiting for me.

My dad now asked what I used to open the tele. I went to the kitched and brought the object. he said I should open the tele. I did and he laughed. Surprisingly, he said that was clever of me and continued laughing. After then, the tele keys was always on top of the tele.

"It's been a long time since I walked
Through this old town
But oh how the memories start to flow
And there's the old movie house
They finally closed it down
You could find me there every [day and night]
Twenty years ago."
- Kenny Rogers
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by EveryLadY(f): 9:21am On May 06, 2013
War Horse: It also reminds me of an incident. My dad locks the tele with a key that came with it when he goes out. so one day, we wanted to watch Tele-Match while he was away. We had a cutlery that had a pointed side and we tried to use it to open the tele door. lo and behold, it opened. It felt like Christopher columbus - a new discovry. We watched and watched until we heard my daddy's (now late) car horn. The object locked the door of the tele perfectly and we acted like centeris paribus (all things being equal.

Then my dad came in a said sometimes, he regreted locking the tele and that he watched and exciting program called Tele-Match and that it was a good one for children. Now the secret buster - our last born shouted "Daddy we watched it too". five of us, then seniors just walk away from the parlour and my dad called us back."How did you watch the program, where?". we all stood looking. He then asked the last born as she pointed to me, saying I openned it. I dont enter ground since cause my dad was a dead disciplinarian. 24 strokes of the cain was waiting for me.

My dad now asked what I used to open the tele. I went to the kitched and brought the object. he said I should open the tele. I did and he laughed. Surprisingly, he said that was clever of me and continued laughing. After then, the tele keys was always on top of the tele.

"It's been a long time since I walked
Through this old town
But oh how the memories start to flow
And there's the old movie house
They finally closed it down
You could find me there every [day and night]
Twenty years ago."
- Kenny Rogers

I actually created this thread to relive old memories,but there are those whose memories surpassed mine.urs is one of them.
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by MadCow1: 9:23am On May 06, 2013
Too many memories on that T.V..

My Grandpa owned one. Looking at it now reminds me of

Rent-a-Ghost

Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by EveryLadY(f): 9:24am On May 06, 2013
Waow! my generation is actually on Nairaland. I have enjoyed myself reading through.But there are alot of people ahead of me on this thread.thank God we all enjoyed it.Thanks to the mods that redressed the topic.
Re: Are You Among The Generation That Used This Television? by fpeter(f): 9:44am On May 06, 2013
Funny enough, in that era not every family could still afford the TV set
Some relied on their neighbour's generosity to be able to view anything.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

An Open Letter To Tonto Dikeh From An Igbo Man By Onyeka Nwelue / Fulani Herdsman Leaves His Cows To Dance In Rivers State (Photos) / DJ Young Money Played For 8 Hours At 9ja Eco Charity Festival (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.