Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,984 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:21 AM

Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel (1096 Views)

Turn Your Wapsite/website Into Real Money Making Machine / Convert Any Website Into A Social Network - The Easy Way / I Will Convert Your Website Into A Cool ANDROID App, Publish It On Google Play (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by Chaflyje(m): 1:36pm On May 06, 2013
pls i would love someone with the know how to explain to me in detail (pls)how i cant extract data from a website into an excel worksheet in an easy way that works for most websites. i dont mind if we can commune via mail... thanks
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 1:48pm On May 06, 2013
Open up an excel sheet with Notepad++

What you see, is what you do wink
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by Chaflyje(m): 3:20pm On May 06, 2013
Now that a little unclear... you do understand the question right?
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 3:23pm On May 06, 2013
Chaflyje: Now that a little unclear... you do understand the question right?

Try the suggestion first nah...If you're an adept programmer, you'll get the gist immediately it opens. cool
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 3:24pm On May 06, 2013
Most file formats are text based with extensions
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by switchmax8: 5:09pm On May 06, 2013
do you want to extract data from database to excel or what are the data/info you want to extract to excel.
send me email igtechnologyng@gmail.com
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by Chaflyje(m): 8:17am On May 07, 2013
@spikes C, fanks man... the thing is am not yet an 'adept' programmer so how can you help me @ switchmax8 am sending you a mail right away thanks ... my email is abayomialake@gmail.com
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 12:33pm On May 07, 2013
Ok, am assuming you're storing a column by row text from a database table and you're using PHP wink
For example; Peoples profile with this schema:

first_name | last_name | email | gender | address

Now, your excel sheet is also supposed to have the same columns.

After getting your data from the database, you start.

//Notice the double colons used to wrap the space-separated words
//And the newline at the end. Remember it's like a variable, so treat it as such

$excel_data = '"First Name", "Last Name", "Email Address", Gender, Address' . "\r\n";

//Now we start iterating our database resultset

while($row = $result->fetch_assoc()){
//If your results have spaces, pls remember to wrap them up in a double colon

$excel_data .= "$row[first_name], $row[last_name], $row[email], $row[gender], $row[address]" . "\r\n";
}

Now, thats your excel sheet contained in the $excel_data variable. You can save it as a file with the .csv format or you can output it as a download immediately cool
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by UncleJJ(m): 11:13pm On May 08, 2013
Chaflyje: pls i would love someone with the know how to explain to me in detail (pls)how i cant extract data from a website into an excel worksheet in an easy way that works for most websites. i dont mind if we can commune via mail... thanks

Your looking for google docs and data extraction via xpath. I did some work on this some months ago. All these funny webmasters in nairaland - they should be called web-installers.....

You can look at the bio's i scraped from yahoo voices.... if your patient i can make a video outlining the basic steps.

go to https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqry-cVAu0ShdFRnUHBHSXNXVWNiZ1pEV1dXT042T3c&usp=sharing
By weekend !! wink
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 11:37pm On May 08, 2013
UncleJJ:

Your looking for google docs and data extraction via xpath. I did some work on this some months ago. All these funny webmasters in nairaland - they should be called web-installers.....

You can look at the bio's i scraped from yahoo voices.... if your patient i can make a video outlining the basic steps.

By weekend !! wink
really embarassed

Google docs lipsrsealed
Web installers indeed
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by UncleJJ(m): 8:44am On May 09, 2013
spikes C:
really embarassed

Google docs lipsrsealed
Web installers indeed

Use the link, except you dont have a google account - which would make you weird ! grin

I call them web-installers - cos they only know how to use fantastico to install sites online. grin

Hence the term - web-installers ! grin
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 1:49pm On May 09, 2013
UncleJJ:

Use the link, except you dont have a google account - which would make you weird ! grin

I call them web-installers - cos they only know how to use fantastico to install sites online. grin

Hence the term - web-installers ! grin

You're trying too hard to make yourself seem intelligent. What has google docs got to do with creating excel sheets in an application.

And no, not having google account doesn't make people weird undecided
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by UncleJJ(m): 8:48am On May 10, 2013
spikes C:

You're trying too hard to make yourself seem intelligent. What has google docs got to do with creating excel sheets in an application.

And no, not having google account doesn't make people weird undecided

Me... intelligent ha ha .... i repeated a whole class in UNI..... am not intelligent brov !

But, i can read english... and the OP never mentioned "application" he said and i qoute

Chaflyje: pls i would love someone with the know how to explain to me in detail (pls)how i cant extract data from a website into an excel worksheet in an easy way that works for most websites. i dont mind if we can commune via mail... thanks

I dont think he meant an application, but if he did. mybad !!!

And about the google account - where in 2013 not 1996 !
Re: Extract Data From A Website Into An Excel by spikesC(m): 2:24pm On May 10, 2013
Definitely, i missed a part but it still doesn't relate to google docs.

He needs to tell us the website he wants to extract data from so we can tell him the best way to go about it. Meanwhile, the method to create an excel sheet has been finished. grin

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland Admin Contact / Personal Website Portfolio For Developers / How To Successfully Build A Wapka Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.