Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,485 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages (1739 Views)

Top 10 Most Spoken Nigerian Languages / 8 Reasons Nigeria's Languages Will Never Stop Dying / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by lordizak(m): 2:01pm On May 06, 2013
The truth is... We (some) african paren't are lady and stupid.. Why bring children into the world when You can't spend 40mins out of Ur free hours with them -to teach them Ur language?
You see, My Dad is Nigerian, My Mum a Ghanain. I was born in Cotonou, Benin Republic. Stayed a little in Togo and Ghana. I can speak.. French, Good British-English, Nigerian and Ghanian Pidgin (pidgin get grade). Ewe and afanti Ghana. fon, wheda and Whla Benin Republic and gayngbe togo.. Igbo (Asaba) language. Currently learning Hausa and Yoruba ( i don't know the correct spelling of d names of all those languages) . So I began to wonder Why some dumb folks. Born and breed in their home town can't speak their indigenous language. In my case i never learnt my Dads language Until I Was Age 12, that is because my Dad was a stranger (a polygamist) obviously spending time with my brethens elsewhere as at that time. Now, i can speak my language and the truth is... it was worthwhile.
In many cases, parents are to be blamed. Our languages are going extinct. Our names and those of our fathers are going extinct. For what Good reason should the African bear names as henry, Beverly. Lorraine, jimmy. Kelvin? It all start from there? The next thing is you getting the name format - Goodluck Jonathan- we are no longer slaves. This problem is peculiar with Us Africans.
The funniest thing is that most of this "white Nigerians" can't even speak and write English as cool as folks like me. Those of them that fake accent can't juxtapose between American and British English. Our home videos is full of crap.
What can U and me teach people from the orient and arctic if not our own culture and language? Arise and save Our heritage. It does not stampede your out-growth..
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by Lilimax(f): 2:29pm On May 06, 2013
lordizak: Our languages are going extinct. Our names and those of our fathers are going extinct. For what Good reason should the African bear names as henry, beverly. Lorraine, jimmy. Kelvin? It all start from there? The next thing is you getting the name format - Goodluck Jonathan- we are no longer slaves. This problem is peculiar with Us africans.
Well said. Most Nigerian language are going extinct.
Most Nigerian children born in the diaspora cannot speak their mother tongue. Too bad!.
We need to take a clue from ther nationalities like the Chinese, Lebanese, Japanese, Indians etc. These people wherever they find themselves ensure their children speak their native language before learning any other foreign language.By doing so, they preserve their God given mother tongue.
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by lordizak(m): 7:25am On May 07, 2013
And the sweet thing is that i am still 22. Wonder how many more i can learn? Another clue for U peeps is to marry from Ur home town. It save Ur language. "Chukwu gozie Unu"
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by lordizak(m): 8:50am On May 08, 2013
sometime ago a girl came home with me, faking accent. in front of my dad, he was like - U school abroad or what? She was utterly embarrassed. Why on earth do we have to fake accent?

1 Like

Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by ghostofsparta(m): 2:50am On May 14, 2013
lordizak: The truth is... We (some) african paren't are lady and stupid.. Why bring children into the world when You can't spend 40mins out of Ur free hours with them -to teach them Ur language?
You see, My Dad is Nigerian, My Mum a Ghanain. I was born in Cotonou, Benin Republic. Stayed a little in Togo and Ghana. I can speak.. French, Good British-English, Nigerian and Ghanian Pidgin (pidgin get grade). Ewe and afanti Ghana. fon, wheda and Whla Benin Republic and gayngbe togo.. Igbo (Asaba) language. Currently learning Hausa and Yoruba ( i don't know the correct spelling of d names of all those languages) . So I began to wonder Why some dumb folks. Born and breed in their home town can't speak their indiginous language. In my case i never learnt my Dads language Until I Was Age 12, that is because my Dad was a stranger (a polygamist) obviously spending time with my brenthens elswhere as at that time. Now, i can speak my language and the truth is... it was worthwhile.
In many cases, parents are to be blamed. Our languages are going extinct. Our names and those of our fathers are going extinct. For what Good reason should the African bear names as henry, beverly. Lorraine, jimmy. Kelvin? It all start from there? The next thing is you getting the name format - Goodluck Jonathan- we are no longer slaves. This problem is peculiar with Us africans.
The funniest thing is that most of this "white Nigerians" is that some of them can't even speak and write english as cool as folks like me. Those of them that fake accent can't juxtapose between American and British english. Our home videos is full of crap.
What can U and me teach people from the orient and arctic if not our own culture and language? Arise and save Our heritage. It does not stampede your out-growth..

You are so correct brother, I notice the same among us Yorubas which I can say, are the worst, Yoruba children of this age are undergoing massive mother tongue erosion, they can't speak their native language very well and yet they utter blunders in English, "I wi beat u", "I wonto goto america", they can't respond when asked in Yoruba what's their age or name, funny thing is, Yoruba parent are proud their children speak English.
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by pleep(m): 4:39am On May 14, 2013
I think it is good that these languages go extinct... hopefully within a generation the number will reduce to maybe 10 or less.

What people have to realize is that language is not important, communication is. The excess languages in Africa are simply clutter that actuatually hinder effective communication more than help it.

Thus they serve no purpose and must be eliminated.
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by ghostofsparta(m): 6:13pm On May 16, 2013
pleep: I think it is good that these languages go extinct... hopefully within a generation the number will reduce to maybe 10 or less.

What people have to realize is that language is not important, communication is. The excess languages in Africa are simply clutter that actuatually hinder effective communication more than help it.

Thus they serve no purpose and must be eliminated.

Does your wish include the major languages? Yoruba? Swahili? Igbo?

I strongly disagree with you
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by pleep(m): 6:40pm On May 16, 2013
ghostofsparta:

Does your wish include the major languages? Yoruba? Swahili? Igbo?

I strongly disagree with you
No, what i'm saying is that we should only speak the major African languages and let the rest go extinct. Lingala in central Africa, Swahili in East Africa, Hausa in the Shahel and West Africa... Igbo and Yoruba in Nigeria etc...

But the rest have to go.

All in all i think we should have about 10 major languages for the whole continent... right now we have over 250 and it only functions as clutter.

.... This is the main reason Africans have to use shameful colonial languages to communicate with their countrymen while other peoples don't have too.
Re: Death Of The African (nigeria) Languages by orgasticdance: 2:21pm On May 17, 2013
lordizak: The truth is... We (some) african paren't are lady and stupid.. Why bring children into the world when You can't spend 40mins out of Ur free hours with them -to teach them Ur language?
You see, My Dad is Nigerian, My Mum a Ghanain. I was born in Cotonou, Benin Republic. Stayed a little in Togo and Ghana. I can speak.. French, Good British-English, Nigerian and Ghanian Pidgin (pidgin get grade). Ewe and afanti Ghana. fon, wheda and Whla Benin Republic and gayngbe togo.. Igbo (Asaba) language. Currently learning Hausa and Yoruba ( i don't know the correct spelling of d names of all those languages) . So I began to wonder Why some dumb folks. Born and breed in their home town can't speak their indiginous language. In my case i never learnt my Dads language Until I Was Age 12, that is because my Dad was a stranger (a polygamist) obviously spending time with my brenthens elswhere as at that time. Now, i can speak my language and the truth is... it was worthwhile.
In many cases, parents are to be blamed. Our languages are going extinct. Our names and those of our fathers are going extinct. For what Good reason should the African bear names as henry, beverly. Lorraine, jimmy. Kelvin? It all start from there? The next thing is you getting the name format - Goodluck Jonathan- we are no longer slaves. This problem is peculiar with Us africans.
The funniest thing is that most of this "white Nigerians" is that some of them can't even speak and write english as cool as folks like me. Those of them that fake accent can't juxtapose between American and British english. Our home videos is full of crap.

Maybe you have a natural facility with languages and may well learn as many as 10 to 20 languages in your time, more power to you. Some of us are not that lucky and are for all practical intents and purposes stuck with you derisively called the "white man's" language. First things first, african parents are not stupid. My parents, (god bless them both) in an ideal world would rather I spoke only their native language to the exclusion of any foreign imposed language, i chose not to--no fault of theirs-- some of my siblings decided differently and speak our mother tongue fluently. Are children and adolescents who decide against speaking their native tongue stupid for doing so? Who are you to judge? When you've produced the quantum of art literature entertainment and knowledge in that your native language then maybe you can then make your case-- until then the jury is still out on this matter. Right now, In my opinion speaking your native tongue is a "nice" thing to have but not useful as it once was, which may be responisble for their gradual decline as Nigeria modernizes. In addition, this isn't the debate we should be having; language and culture are great things to preserve but in the Nigerian context where do you draw the line on preserving that which accentuates our differences as Nigerians vs encouraging unifying elements such as the adoption of a lingua franca?
No easy answers...Therefore'd it'd be unwise to rush into hasty conclusions as you've done.

(1) (Reply)

Can One Get Lotto Winning Numbers Through Black Magic? / Africa Should Be Ruled By Women / Little Do People Know Cultists Were Behind All Slavery In Africa & The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.