Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:33 AM

Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding (1756 Views)

Home Remedies For Sore Throat / Please Help I Have Sore On My Lips! / How Can I Eat Pineapple Without Having Sore In My Mouth And On My Tongue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by azubaby(f): 6:29pm On May 09, 2013
Hello Dr n Mothers in the house.

Pls i need serious help. My nipple is red, tender n full of wound. I had d normal breast tenderness few days after I had put to bed. After 5weeks of exclusive bf, i developed sore n redness. Went to hospital n was placed on antibiotics 3times by 3 diff Doctors. New wound keep springing up. my boy is 9weeks now n the sore r still there even worst cos its dry n its as if my nipple want to cut off because the skin der is peeling.

The pains r excruciatin. I cry while bf my baby. The thought of bf him gives me cold. Am tired n dont know what to do.

Am thinking of introducin fomula. Pls i seriously need advice
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by pearlh(f): 7:16pm On May 09, 2013
Sorry sister,I actually experienced same when I had my first baby,but after sometime it healed by itself,and I can't even tell when the pain dissapered.
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 09, 2013
Sorry darling,it all come with child birth.
Its mastitis(hope I got d spellin). Happnd to me.I was told to press lukewarm to hot water on d breast with towel.ur hubby can do dat.then rub shea butter.what hapned was dat some of d ducts were blockd,no way for breast milk to pass so it keep on accumulatin hence d pains.
Check d particular lobe dat is painin u,try to press squeze out d milk.it is painful I will tell u but continue,ur hubby can help. he can suck it too.when u continue like 2 days it will be better
Also make sure ur baby latches well on it and alternate while bfin.
Sorry,I feel for u.it will be well
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by azubaby(f): 10:18pm On May 09, 2013
Thanks Pearl and yellopawpaw. Its jos dat new sore keep comin out.

@yellowpawpaw can d baby suck on the shea butter or do I have to wash it off b4 bf

Thanks
More comments pls from xperienced mothers
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by ziga: 1:41am On May 10, 2013
azubaby: Hello Dr n Mothers in the house.

Pls i need serious help. My nipple is red, tender n full of wound. I had d normal breast tenderness few days after I had put to bed. After 5weeks of exclusive bf, i developed sore n redness. Went to hospital n was placed on antibiotics 3times by 3 diff Doctors. New wound keep springing up. my boy is 9weeks now n the sore r still there even worst cos its dry n its as if my nipple want to cut off because the skin der is peeling.

The pains r excruciatin. I cry while bf my baby. The thought of bf him gives me cold. Am tired n dont know what to do.

Am thinking of introducin fomula. Pls i seriously need advice

I seriously doubt that you have mastitis!!! Mastitis will not cause pain and ulcers on your n.ipples. Mastitis also responds to antibiotics. So, that explains why all the antibiotics you have used so far have not worked.

Sore n.ipples is usually a mechanical problem (friction). Kinda like if you rub something firm on your skin, after a while it will hurt.

Sore n.ipples usually happens to new mothers, and like some other posters have suggested, make sure your baby latches on well. If the problem is your technique, you will likely have soreness on both sides.

I have attached a video that talks about some techniques, and there are lots of more resources on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwLbPXT4xUE

There are other reasons for sore n.ipples and sometimes a fungal infection of the n.ipple is a likely reason for just one sided soreness. Yeast thrives in warm, moist, nutrient rich environments.

In the case of this, first make sure your baby doesn't have thrush and if he/she does, go see your doctor for treatment.

Stop using your sore side until you have healed and express from that side to prevent engorgement. But it is okay for you to continue to nurse on your normal side.

Apply a topical antifungal twice daily. An example is clotrimazole or canestene. They are usually over the counter and don't need prescriptions.

Keep the area dry as much as possible and apply petroleum jelly constantly to soothe the area. You can do this in between the antifugal applications.

There are also lots of resources on the internet.

More info on causes of sore n.ipples here also http://www.babycenter.com/0_sore-nipples_263.bc
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by Nobody: 8:40am On May 10, 2013
@ d poster above,yes mastitis can cause sore nipls. I was a victim, confirmed by my dr.I didn't rule out other possible causes of sore nipls but can u leave d options open for d poster pls.d only one dat can tell her authoritatively what is wrong with her is her doc with proper exam.
@op,why not type ur symptoms in a search engine and search for what's ailing u and d possible cure or better still go to ur dr.
Sorry and all d best
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by labella12: 9:22am On May 10, 2013
@op sorry oh its the joyful pains of motherhood. As for the sore tips it means your baby is not latching properly. Ensure baby opens his mouth well and takes enough of bosom in while sucking. There is an ointment called lanolin that is used for sore tips and is safe for baby to suck so you don't need to wash off. It worked like magic for me. Other people also say u can put bosom milk on the cracks and it works just as well. Instead of giving formula use a bosom pump to express and feed baby. Don't be tempted to stop feeding as that would cause engorgement and then mastitis which would further worsen the situation. Just ensure he latches properly after it heals and you will be fine search online for videos showing how to help baby latch well.
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by tjskii(f): 4:22pm On May 10, 2013
Eeiya sorry o,I think it cud be cos u allow ur baby suck on d tip of ur nipple,d baby is sposed to take d whole nipple into his mouth,along wth d sorrounding areas
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by Chicolo(f): 4:44pm On May 10, 2013
Sorry poster,I pray it heals so fast
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by ada85: 2:24pm On May 11, 2013
@poster, , sorry....d sore nipples could be due to the fact that ur baby isnt latching on to ur breast normally. Try and watch you tube videos to show the correct way of putting ur baby to the breast. You should also take your baby to a paediatrician to check for tongue tie cos dat could be aanother reason your baby isn't latching on properly
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by Blendy77(f): 3:50pm On May 11, 2013
I also had same issue few weeks after giving birth but I can't tell how it disappeared as it probably healed on its own. I also think your baby is not latching well. Try putting the whole areola (dark shaded area) instead of just the tip in his mouth. This too will pass, kpele!
Re: Sore On My bosom While bosom Feeding by azubaby(f): 7:06pm On May 31, 2013
Big thanks to every one for ur replies. They went a long way helpin me.

Finaly took baby to d hosp so he was treated of trush plus he now latches well

The cracks n sore r healed now.
Super xcited while b.reast feedin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

12 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Mucocele / Lose 8lbs In A Week with slimina weight loss capsule / Pls How Do I Get Rid Of These Black Spots On My Body

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.