Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith (2779 Views)

Renouncing My Christian Faith / A Man Sentenced To Death For Renouncing Islam In Saudi Arabia / Family Denies Holding Son Captive For Renouncing Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by MrAladin: 8:13am On May 10, 2013
The canonization
of the 800 martyrs of Otranto seals off
a 500 year process. On August 13,
1480, when Ottoman soldiers invaded
Otranto, the commander ordered them
to renounce their faith and convert to
Islam. The 800 men, led by Antonio
Primaldo, said they preferred one
thousand times over, to die, rather than
renounce Jesus, the Son of God. They
were executed.
Their beheaded and decapitated
bodies remained unburied for about a
year, until the Ottomans were expelled
from Otranto. Since them, they'e
venerated as martyrs.
After several historical searches that
confirmed the story, in 2001 the
Vatican recognized a miracle attributed
to the martyrs, the healing of a
consecrated woman who suffered
from metastatic cancer. The miracle
which paved the way for their
canonization.

2 Likes

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Ubenedictus(m): 2:36pm On May 10, 2013
May God continue to inspire us thru their example!

1 Like

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Nobody: 2:52pm On May 10, 2013
THANKS FOR THE WRITE UP
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by AtheistD(m): 6:28pm On May 10, 2013
What a pointless waste. They died for nothing sad
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 6:49pm On May 10, 2013
Atheist:-D:

They died for what they believed and to emphasize that freedom of worship is a human right. That's heroism in secular parlance, Matyrdom in the religion they profess, if you call that nothing, then you're simply existing...a life in bondage.

3 Likes

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by AtheistD(m): 7:47pm On May 10, 2013
Syncan:

They died for what they believed and to emphasize that freedom of worship is a human right. That's heroism in secular parlance, Matyrdom in the religion they profess, if you call that nothing, then you're simply existing...a life in bondage.

Ok. Why didnt they take arsms and fend off their attackers and die in that act. Or accept subjugation and worship quietly until they can cause an insurrection. This silly martyrdom because of a belief in gold, milk and honey in the after life is a cause of many a mans woe.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 8:03pm On May 10, 2013

Ok. Why didnt they take arsms and fend off their attackers and die in that act. Or accept subjugation and worship quietly until they can cause an insurrection. This silly martyrdom because of a belief in gold, milk and honey in the after life is a cause of many a mans woe.

Take up arms and fight for what they believe? Why do you still think in this manner? Despite the efforts of Martin Luther king jr and Ghandi, you still believe in violence to defend your beliefs?. It's a shame indeed.

4 Likes

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Nobody: 9:58pm On May 10, 2013
'The blood of the martyrs is indeed the seed of Christianity'
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by tobechi74: 10:35pm On May 10, 2013
matyrs die for something .aaatheist live for nothing

3 Likes

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by 2cassavasticks: 4:35am On May 11, 2013
what an idiot

1 Like

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by AtheistD(m): 11:12am On May 11, 2013
Syncan:

Take up arms and fight for what they believe? Why do you still think in this manner? Despite the efforts of Martin Luther king jr and Ghandi, you still believe in violence to defend your beliefs?. It's a shame indeed.

You either protect your lands and beliefs (not necessarily violently attack others) or you succumb. To willingly sacrifice yourself is selfish and somewhat silly.

There are some greater goods that self sacrifice is considered. religion is not one of them.
tobechi74: matyrs die for something .aaatheist live for nothing

We can die for a lot of things. Just not religious martyrdom.
2cassava sticks:
what an idiot

Are you ready to be a martyr? Northern Nigeria is not too far away. You can test out your philosophy there.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Kay17: 11:27am On May 11, 2013
tobechi74: matyrs die for something .aaatheist live for nothing

You are not well placed to make such a judgement on atheists.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by tobechi20(m): 11:39am On May 11, 2013
Kay 17:

You are not well placed to make such a judgement on atheists.
he is not well placed to make such remark either

1 Like

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 12:54pm On May 11, 2013

You either protect your lands and beliefs (not necessarily violently attack others) or you succumb. To willingly sacrifice yourself is selfish and somewhat silly.

There are some greater goods that self sacrifice is considered. religion is not one of them.

Please stop speaking from two sides of the mouth...on one hand; self sacrifice is "selfish and silly", on another hand, it is "considered for greater good" determined by your "immense" wisdom. Do make up your mind please, you may flip a coin to help you choose.

2 Likes

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by AtheistD(m): 1:06pm On May 11, 2013
Syncan:

Please stop speaking from two sides of the mouth...on one hand; self sacrifice is "selfish and silly", on another hand, it is "considered for greater good" determined by your "immense" wisdom. Do make up your mind please, you may flip a coin to help you choose.

Self sacrifice is silly when it is in regards to religion. It is wasteful too.

There will always be reasons where self sacrifice is appreciated. I do not believe avoiding religious conversion is one of them.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 8:02pm On May 11, 2013

There will always be reasons where self sacrifice is appreciated. I do not believe avoiding religious conversion is one of them.

" I do not believe..." What difference does this phrase make? Who gives a hoot what you believe or not? What makes you so superior that what you believe or don't believe should count? You better come down from that high horse and learn to respect another's believe. Learn to air contrary view with respect,except you still live in the illusion of cerebral monopoly.

1 Like

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Kay17: 8:37pm On May 11, 2013
tobechi20: he is not well placed to make such remark either

Two wrongs don't make a right obviously.

Syncan:

" I do not believe..." What difference does this phrase make? Who gives a hoot what you believe or not? What makes you so superior that what you believe or don't believe should count? You better come down from that high horse and learn to respect another's believe. Learn to air contrary view with respect,except you still live in the illusion of cerebral monopoly.

Respect for the opinions of others includes criticism.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 9:45pm On May 11, 2013
Kay 17:

Respect for the opinions of others includes criticism.

Please, why do you have to quote me, if it's just to make an off point statement. What in my comment suggests you shouldn't criticise? Do yourself a favor and check out the meanings of "criticism" and "condemnation". Then come back and read my post with new illumination.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Kay17: 10:15pm On May 11, 2013
^^
Then probably I'm expantiating on your post
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by 4cassavasticks: 5:54am On May 12, 2013

This shows how religiously intolerant you are.

1 Like

Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Nobody: 6:10am On May 12, 2013
Why didn't god save the matyrs from the invaders? Why did he not protect his people against them? He knew the ottomans were going to invade the land of his faithful worshippers and kill them yet he did nothing to stop them from being victorious.
The religious people on this thread really have some nerve asking to be respected for worshipping such a god.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by 4cassavasticks: 6:20am On May 12, 2013
NL member: Why didn't god save the matyrs from the invaders? Why did he not protect his people against them? He knew the ottomans were going to invade the land of his faithful worshippers and kill them yet he did nothing to stop them from being victorious.
The religious people on this thread really have some nerve asking to be respected for worshipping such a god.
what if their god just wanted them to die and go to heaven that way.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 6:52am On May 12, 2013
NL member: Why didn't god save the matyrs from the invaders? Why did he not protect his people against them? He knew the ottomans were going to invade the land of his faithful worshippers and kill them yet he did nothing to stop them from being victorious.

Yes we have "some nerve" to demand that we in our belief(however ignorant you are of it) be respected, because that's what freedom of opinion and worship entails. However, to you we do not deserve such respect...no, we should be hunted down and killed. Descendant of the ottomans in the 21st century,do you need a crane to remove the log in your eye before removing the splinter in another person's? Just hear him, " religious people in this thread really have some nerve... bla bla bla".
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 7:08am On May 12, 2013
Kay 17: ^^
Then probably I'm expantiating on your post

In your heart lies the truth. When I find out that I'm wrong, I retrace my steps in a civil manner. I do not switch over like I've always meant the opposite, or make it look like am neither here nor there, I guess we are not the same. "Probably", another one sitting on the fence, why am i finding this as a common denominator among those who claim atheism?
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Nobody: 8:07am On May 12, 2013
4cassava sticks:
what if their god just wanted them to die and go to heaven that way.
lolzz
what about the citizens that converted to islam during the invasion? Did god want them to die and go to hell?
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Nobody: 8:14am On May 12, 2013
Syncan:

Yes we have "some nerve" to demand that we in our belief(however ignorant you are of it) be respected, because that's what freedom of opinion and worship entails. However, to you we do not deserve such respect...no, we should be hunted down and killed. Descendant of the ottomans in the 21st century,do you need a crane to remove the log in your eye before removing the splinter in another person's? Just hear him, " religious people in this thread really have some nerve... bla bla bla".
Oh no, I am not asking that christians be hunted down and killed. Not at all. I am not yahweh that loves killing those that disagree with him.
I just don't think people that follow illogical and largely contradictory beliefs deserve to be respected.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Kay17: 8:48am On May 12, 2013
Syncan:

In your heart lies the truth. When I find out that I'm wrong, I retrace my steps in a civil manner. I do not switch over like I've always meant the opposite, or make it look like am neither here nor there, I guess we are not the same. "Probably", another one sitting on the fence, why am i finding this as a common denominator among those who claim atheism?

I just wanted to make it clear to you that criticism doesn't always mean disrespect to a religion. That was my comment simpliciter. You were the one who tot I confused condemnation with criticism, apparently I didn't. So it is either you agree or disagree with my comment.

*edited*
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 8:58am On May 12, 2013
NL member:
Oh no, I am not asking that christians be hunted down and killed. Not at all. I am not yahweh that loves killing those that disagree with him.
I just don't think people that follow illogical and largely contradictory beliefs deserve to be respected.

Another atheist shifting from leg to leg.What on earth is wrong with you guys!Do flip a coin or throw a dice...whatever...Just take a stand before you comment and make a clear u-turn when you feel inclined to change opinion.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Syncan(m): 9:09am On May 12, 2013
Kay 17:

I just wanted to make it clear to you that criticism doesn't always meant disrespect to a religion. That was my comment simpliciter. You were the one who tot I confused condemnation with criticism, apparently I didn't. So it is either you agree or disagree with my comment.

Really? Kindly tell me what you term the statement below:

Or the respect to a religion in this:

I leave you to your heart as i said earlier.
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Nobody: 9:57am On May 12, 2013
Syncan:
Another atheist shifting from leg to leg.What on earth is wrong with you guys!Do flip a coin or throw a dice...whatever...Just take a stand before you comment and make a clear u-turn when you feel inclined to change opinion.

Me shift leg? For what?
I didn't shift leg from anywhere and I didn't make any u turn.
You said
Syncan: However, to you we do not deserve such respect...no, we should be hunted down and killed.

Now on which part of this thread did I say christians should be hunted down and killed?
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by Kay17: 10:17am On May 12, 2013
@syncan so you are holding me responsible for another person's comment?!
Re: Martyrs Of Otranto Entire Vilage Dat Chose Death Insted Of Renouncing Ther Faith by AtheistD(m): 10:32am On May 12, 2013
Syncan:

So I cant air my beliefs too. So I must accept their beliefs and throw away mine. I was talking according to my beliefs. I you want to debate my belief we can discuss reasons for or against chosen martyrdom however I still have a right to air my opinion and you have a right to challenge it.

It is not a high horse, it is reality. Needless lives wasted, and to prove what? Why dont you head north to Maiduguri and get martyred there if you are so certain it is not pointless.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Most Ridiculous Biblical Stories / Cost Of Ram In Lagos /ibadan / Are Catholics Idol Worshippers ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.