Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Britain's Most Dangerous Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Britain's Most Dangerous Job (887 Views)

9 Most Dangerous Jobs In Nigeria / Osun Workers Unpaid Salaries Dangerous - Security Expert / Ten Most Dangerous Jobs In The World! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Britain's Most Dangerous Job by DewComms(m): 4:58pm On Apr 20, 2008
It was recently claimed in a survey by the Discovery Channel show Hard Labour' that London's black cab drivers have the most dangerous job in Britain. The cabbies out-scored other viperous jobs such as demolition workers, miners, oil rig labourers and trawlermen.

Hmmm. How exactly do you classify driving a black cab as more dangerous than risking your life every day, chained to the deck of a North Sea trawler, where fire, capsizing and death by drowning are ever present dangers? A fisherman's day can be 24 hours, with snatches of rest taken on rock hard beds, and all of their wages based on successful catches - if they make it back to shore, that is.

An Oxford University study said for every 100,000 fishermen, 103 would die at work. That's 50 times more than any other profession. So based on these facts, how does deep sea fishing in raging seas slip into second place behind driving a comfortable vehicle while listening to your favourite radio station and charging fares the size of our national debt?

Well here's my theory. The report ranked each job on the likelihood of serious injury, skill level, working hours plus mental and physical stress. For black cab drivers, these occupational hazards come from the general public whose wrath has been incurred by the arrogant behaviour of these road-hogging rabble-rousers.

As a car driver in London I've been subjected to the most appalling flouting of even basic road rules. As a black cab passenger I've been subjected to significant deviations from the routes I have asked for, and outrageous charges for straightforward journeys. And not forgetting that twice in one week, after hailing a black cab in Oxford St, I had to explain to both drivers how to get to Earls Court. So much for three years of learning "The Knowledge"!

So perhaps this survey has it right. The risk of serious injury from regularly inciting road rage in other road users, and the mental stress of having to be told how to get to a borough only three miles away, can all add up to a bad day at the office. Perhaps we should cut these poor people some slack. After all, the pots of gold they amass from their extortionate fares can't possibly offset the dangers they face on their leisurely jaunts around London each day. And who would be happy with that?
Re: Britain's Most Dangerous Job by candylips(m): 1:44pm On Apr 23, 2008
Nonsense. Where do they put people caring for mentally deranged people. Thats some dangerous shit job or people working as bouncers in clubs

(1) (Reply)

Icen; Quo Vadis / Private Sector Vs. Public Sector / Having A Cheat And Liar As A Boss.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.