Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:02 AM

How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? (8626 Views)

10 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by Evept(f): 10:59am On Apr 21, 2008
please nairalanders can someone living in Port-harcourt tell me if its safe someone who has lived abroad for almost 7 years ,to visit his family there ?

especially when he come´s from a poligamous home? as he really wants to see his family and start something up there but before he goes he need ´s an option and advice on how to go with it ? and if its better for him to stay in a hotel or at his parents home.
thanks
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by benit(f): 11:40am On Apr 21, 2008
Most of the operations going on here are organized kidnappings which just switched from foreigners/children to rich men's wives. Breaking and entering into houses do exist but minimal. Of course, you can visit your family here but adviceable you rotate accommodation, avoid late night outings and most importantly, keep a low profile.
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by Vicjustice: 12:08pm On Apr 21, 2008
I was in Port Harcourt (and later in Yenogoa) last January, i didn't experience any sense of insecurity or danger, except for the mounting of military presence at every entrance to either cities.
   Staying at home or lodging in a hotel depends on your fear, purpose and capabilities. And also the area and the condition of the home.
   It's so sad that some people are afraid to stay in their own homes due to the fear of armed robbers and violence embarassed
   But, thinking about a hotel, what would you do if you intend to stay for a lengthy period of time, would you spend your hard earned money good enough for tangible purpose on paying hotel bills?
   By the way, do many people know that you live in the state and expected you would be coming with luggages of cash  smiley?
   I advice you to go home quietly, stay there peacefully, and carry out your activities in silence, and if need be, undercover as a last resort.
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by Seun(m): 12:13pm On Apr 21, 2008
I don't think the town will ever be safe again. Too many weapons in the wrong hands in that area. sad
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by Frando29(m): 12:19pm On Apr 21, 2008
As a resident of Port Harcourt, I think Ph is relatively a safer place when compared with Lagos so far as long as you are not white! House to house robbery is not as rampant as it is in Lagos. It's your choice to either stay in a hotel or to stay at your family house. But I would advise you stay in a hotel for the meantime while you consider moving to your family house so that you take time and know the living conditions there since you have been away for 7 yrs. I am assuming your living standards would have changed by now. Ph hasn't changed much except that the night life is somewhat on the low key.
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by Evept(f): 1:17pm On Apr 21, 2008
I think he will have to do a big thinking ,maybe start in a hotel for some days and sort himself out before moving in to his parents home,he is affraid cos of his father´s 4 wives and step siblings as his the only one abroad and the youngest and non of them likes his progress so far .so i understand him but more advice will be appreciated.
thanks
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by iice(f): 3:42am On Apr 22, 2008
Apparently it has change lots. Surprisingly my friend is faring well. He went home last year and i couldn't imagine him there but it's not so bad as portrayed is what he tells me. undecided
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by ibiba: 5:30pm On May 11, 2008
i stay in London, but i love port Harcourt a lot, and often travel to Nigeria as much as i can. but on the 18th of April i was nearly attacked by armed robbers when i went to see my cousin at their shop. thankfully they were unable to take my car due to the fact that my central lock on my car was on. this was at rumuigbo junction around 10.30 at night. for the first time in my life i actually saw a gun up close and personal.
one advice i have is for you to relax and have fun. you can go out at night, but pls do not drive flashy cars, just something which has an air conditioner as it's very hot. also if anyone asks u tell them u've been around for a month, which might lead people who have ill thoughts for u to believe that u would have exhausted Ur funds. always be aware of ur environment. all this and the love of God is why i was able to escape harm, and all my money in tact that night. understandably it was a huge risk. you'll be OK smiley
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by eryck(m): 1:00pm On May 12, 2008
Siena:

And, never resist an armed robber, be it your cash, mobile or car he / she's after.

Life's way too short, and irreplaceable.

True talk!
A word is Enuff, !
Re: How Safe Is Port-harcourt Now For Someone Living Abroad Travelling Home? by babycool(f): 3:56pm On May 12, 2008
Tell him to beware of the girls there wink

(1) (Reply)

Forex Shortage Hits Airlines As $575m Stuck In Nigeria / Is This America Or Is This Oshodi? / Who Has Been to London?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.