Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar (16684 Views)

Okagbare Clinches Third Position IAAF Diamond League Zurich / Okagbare Jumps 7.04m To Win Diamond League In Monaco / Okagbare Wins 200M In London Diamond League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 13, 2013
Okagbare Jumps 7.14m, Gets a Silver Medal!

BEIJING 2008 Olympic Games bronze medalist, Blessing Okagbare, Friday at the IAAF Diamond League holding in Doha, Oatar, jumped to 7.14 metres, eclipsing the 7.12 metres set by Olympic gold medalist, Chioma Ajunwa at the Atlanta 1996 games.

The competition is the first leg of the Diamond League, which features the world's best athletes in search of fame and fortune.

Okagbare's jump was good enough for the silver medal, as the London 2012 Olympic Games' gold medalist, United States' Britney Reese, leaped to world leading 7.25 metres for the crown. Reese' jump is also the meet's record in the event.

Another American, Janay Soukop Deloach, took the third position with a 7.08 jump, while Nigerian-born American, Funmi Jimoh, came fourth with 6.92 metres.

Okagbare, who is the world leader this season in 200 metres race, is also listed for the 100 metres event.

The 2013 IAAF Diamond League kicked off yesterday at the Hamad Bin Suhaim Stadium in Doha.

Several Olympic and World champions lined up for the opener, as they continued preparation for this summer's IAAF World Athletics Championship in Moscow.

Among the expected highlighted clashes on the schedule are that of Botswana's World champion Amantle Montsho against London Olympic 200m champion, Allyson Felix of USA, in the women's 400m and the 800m clash between Olympic champion and World record-holder, David Rudisha, against Ethiopia's Mohammed Aman.

Montsho currently holds the world-leading mark of 50.14 seconds and she faces Felix, who will start unbeaten in 10 races in Doha since making her first appearance in 2005.

It is expected to be a very exciting match, with Montsho holding the upper hand after getting the better of her American rival on the last two occasions.

Two-time Olympic Games 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce highlight the list of sprinters who will face the starter in the women's 200m dash.

Fraser-Pryce, who copped a silver medal at this event over last summer's London Games, is coming off a 22.38 seconds seasonal best winning performance at the Jamaica Invitational last weekend and faces Okagbare, who is the current world-leader with 22.31.

"I just want to execute a good 200m and see what is the best I can do," Fraser-Pryce said at the 2013 Doha press conference on Thursday.

"The 200m is not my best event and it's something I am learning. It is a new challenge.

"I didn't used to like it because I found it difficult to distribute the speed all the way round. I am learning the best strategy and I am looking forward to the Moscow World Championships.

http://odili.net/news/source/2013/may/11/5.html

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 13, 2013
Wow! She is back again and on top of the world.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 3:41pm On May 13, 2013
Sadusky: Wow! She is back again and on top of the world.

Yes o. I hope she sustains the tempo. Who knows, she may get a medal at this year's World Athletics Championships.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Tolexander: 3:52pm On May 13, 2013
Nice trial!

It will be good if she can keep up with this and transform the real stuff she is made of in the next olympic!

And not fade up like the olosoji fasuba and co!
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by tglobal(m): 7:50pm On May 13, 2013
@OP. am not sure this record will be ratified as a new african record as it was wind assisted at 2.2m/s. Good performance though
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 13, 2013
tglobal: @OP. am not sure this record will be ratified as a new african record as it was wind assisted at 2.2m/s. Good performance though

That could be the case. It seems 2.2m/s is too strong a tailwind.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Afam4eva(m): 8:43pm On May 13, 2013
Congrats to Okagbare. For her to beat Chioma Ajunwa's record shows that she has a bright future in long jump.

Tolexander:
And not fade up like the olosoji fasuba and co!
I wonder what happened to Olusoji Fasugba. I just stopped seeing him. He was really good and was heading for the top. I also miss Uchenna Emedolu. If we can groom Obinna metu, i think he can go really far cos i saw what he did at the Beijing olympics.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva: Congrats to Okagbare. For her to beat Chioma Ajunwa's record shows that she has a bright future in long jump.

I wonder what happened to Olusoji Fasugba. I just stopped seeing him. He was really good and was heading for the top. I also miss Uchenna Emedolu. If we can groom Obinna metu, i think he can go really far cos i saw what he did at the Beijing olympics.

The record hasn't actually been broken. Okagbare's jump was wind-assisted by 2.2m/s; which is very high. Therefore, Ajunwa's record still stands.
As for Fasuba, he is now a member of the British Navy, he retired from pro athletics some years ago.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Diasporan(m): 10:16pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva: Congrats to Okagbare. For her to beat Chioma Ajunwa's record shows that she has a bright future in long jump.

Fasuba as CFCfan rightly pointed out is no longer in the game.Another dude that has gone into oblivion is Obinna Metu
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:19pm On May 13, 2013
And to add to the good news, she is also the world leader in the 200m.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by olapluto(m): 10:19pm On May 13, 2013
Blessing Okagbare is improving well under John Smith. She's breaking many barriers. She jumped 7m twice last friday, I was so excited. I think her only competition is Brittany Reese who is as erratic as NEPA. Blessing Okagbare and Regina George are Nigeria's best athletes at this moment.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Afam4eva(m): 10:21pm On May 13, 2013
Diasporan:
Fasuba as CFCfan rightly pointed out is no longer in the game.Another dude that has gone into oblivion is Obinna Metu
I was marvelled at how Obinna Metu dazzled his way past different stages of the 100 meters in beijing even though he lost out in the semis or so. It showed that he had great prospects and i was expecting that he would improve for London but he was nowhere to be found. Let's not forget that he beat the likes of Olusoji Fasugba and Uchenna Emedolu in the Nigerian qualifications for Beijing.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 13, 2013
ola_pluto: Blessing Okagbare is improving well under John Smith. She's breaking many barriers. She jumped 7m twice last friday, I was so excited. I think her only competition is Brittany Reese who is as erratic as NEPA. Blessing Okagbare and Regina George are Nigeria's best athletes at this moment.

You are spot on! She looks like she will finally win the elusive Nigerian medal at the World Athletics Championships in Moscow. Nigerian athletes last won a medal in the championship in 1999!
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Ijawboi(m): 10:23pm On May 13, 2013
This girl that made us to take last @olympics... Mtshweeee..
Y is she smiling...
My tonto is even finer than her...

2 Likes

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Afam4eva(m): 10:23pm On May 13, 2013
If Okagbare was an American, Jamaican or from any well developed country, she would have been the toast of the world. We have world-class athletes but no world class facilities, administrators and coaches. So, why we aim to build our athletes, we must also develop other areas.

1 Like

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 13, 2013
That's impressive..
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:23pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
I was marvelled at how Obinna Metu dazzled his way past different stages of the 100 meters in beijing even though he lost out in the semis or so. It showed that he had great prospects and i was expecting that he would improve for London but he was nowhere to be found. Let's not forget that he beat the likes of Olusoji Fasugba and Uchenna Emedolu in the Nigerian qualifications for Beijing.

Yeah, inconsistency is the issue there. Even Fasuba was rubbing shoulders with likes of Maurice Greene and Marlon Devonish (British athlete) not so long ago. If my memory serves me right, he anchored Nigeria's 4X100m relay team to the bronze medal at the Athens 2004 Olympics.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Libkid(m): 10:25pm On May 13, 2013
Gud 4 ha and d nation
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva: If Okagbare was an American, Jamaican or from any well developed country, she would have been the toast of the world. We have world-class athletes but no world class facilities, administrators and coaches. So, why we aim to build our athletes, we must also develop other areas.

True. The governors of Nigerian states can help in that area. Already, Delta and Lagos States have some decent facilities for Track and field. Even Akwa Ibom State will soon complete a world-class 30,000 capacity stadium in November next year.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Diasporan(m): 10:25pm On May 13, 2013
Ijawboi: This girl that made us to take last @olympics... Mtshweeee..
Y is she smiling...
Bros i believe there is a school field around your area or atleast a tarred road.You can start off training there who knows you might come out first for us in the upcoming Olympic games

5 Likes

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by fckyourman: 10:26pm On May 13, 2013
Does she claims to be nigerian,she is american whether we like it or not just dont tag nigeria into it.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:26pm On May 13, 2013
cfcfan reached front page !
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 13, 2013
Ijawboi: This girl that made us to take last @olympics... Mtshweeee..
Y is she smiling...

She tried her best. Heck, she won her heats and came 2nd in the semifinal.

I believe she would do better at this year's world championships.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:27pm On May 13, 2013
fckyourman: Does she claims to be nigerian,she is american whether we like it or no just dont tag nigeria into it.

adaobi123: cfcfan reached front page !
Yeah, I'm so happy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Itoroetti(m): 10:28pm On May 13, 2013

Fasuba weh don join us navy?

1 Like

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 13, 2013
fckyourman: Does she claims to be nigerian,she is american whether we like it or not just dont tag nigeria into it.

She was born in Sapele, Delta State, to 2 Nigerian parents.
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:28pm On May 13, 2013
Afam4eva: If Okagbare was an American, Jamaican or from any well developed country, she would have been the toast of the world. We have world-class athletes but no world class facilities, administrators and coaches. So, why we aim to build our athletes, we must also develop other areas.

I concur..

African parents also need to start allowing their kids to do sports. Everything shouldn't just be about education and reading ya books all the time - most kids can combine both. If more kids can get involved in sports from a young age, there will be a larger pool of talents to select from. That's why America will always continue to dominate most sports.

2 Likes

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by fckyourman: 10:28pm On May 13, 2013
CFCfan:

She was born in Sapele, Delta State, to 2 Nigerian parents.

Oh, God Bless her for making us proud.

2 Likes

Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Cheggoon(m): 10:28pm On May 13, 2013
Why she no cum shave her
"beer-year beer year" way dey under na.....!iā€‹ā€‹ bow ooo
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 13, 2013
Anyways @topic, she did good. smiley
Re: Okagbare Jumps 7.14m At Diamond League In Qatar by j4jj: 10:29pm On May 13, 2013
Pls correct me if I'm wrong!Is it not the same Okagbare who came first winning gold medals at the pre-tourney olympics and thereafter finishing last at the last olympics proper!!! Okagbare I advise you slow tempo! Don't show yaself 2much cos your competitors are watching & targeting your mark.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ablefast.com - Football Pools Coupon Fixtures Up To Week 20 Out / World Cup: Inmates To Watch Matches In Enugu Prisons ā€“ Controller / AFCON 2022: Panutche Camara Says Guinea-Bissau Can Beat Super Eagles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.