Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,375 members, 7,836,528 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:20 AM

Do It Now - 6 Tips For Overcoming Procrastination - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do It Now - 6 Tips For Overcoming Procrastination (542 Views)

Procrastination In Business And How I Got Over It - Marvejohndaily.com / Overcoming Obstacles To Business Success / 6 Strategies For Overcoming Creativity Block (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do It Now - 6 Tips For Overcoming Procrastination by infonubia(m): 1:49am On May 15, 2013
"Time is really the only capital that any human being has, and the only thing he can't afford to loose." - Thomas Edison

Do you procrastinate? You are not alone. Everyone procrastinates sometimes. However, about 20 percent of people admit that they chronically avoid difficult tasks that need to be performed and intentionally look for other things to do.

The truth is, procrastination is a choice; a choice not to do it now. With every choice comes its consequence. Life itself is about choices. I am a product of my choices - both good and bad.

Until lately, I always make excuses for putting things off till the last minute. I justify my behavior by saying things like "I perform better under pressure."

The good news? It is possible to overcome procrastination - with effort

Let's explore these 6 tips to overcoming procrastination. Shall we?

1. Understand that being busy is not the same as being productive.

What are you focused on? Don't focus on what doesn't add value to your productivity. People who are highly productive are often less busy because they are focused on the right task at the right time. They are often less busy than those who are overworked and overwhelmed.

Also, avoid committing to what you really don't want to do. If you don't want to do it, you are more likely to put it at the bottom of your list and you are never going to get to it.

2. Write a list of what needs to be done.

Most times I made a mental note of what needs to be done. This often gets me in trouble because I tend to forget things till the last minute. Writing it down gives you a clearer picture of what exactly you should be working on and you are able to allot some appropriate time to each task.

3. Prioritize your list.

Prioritizing your list helps put things in perspective. It helps make sure you channel your energy towards the important stuff. While at this, break each task into smaller, manageable chunk. This technique is used a lot in project management. Breaking tasks into sub-tasks makes the work easier by narrowing your focus on one sub-task at a time.

4. Set reminders.

Set a reminder on your phone, calendar, email or anything that reminds you of the task. Schedule some time to do at least part of the work. If you are not able to spend an hour, schedule about 10 to 20 minutes. Just make sure you commit to working on the task for a very short time.

5. Psych yourself up.

By psyching yourself up, I mean increasing your motivation. What motivates you? For some people a reward system works well. You can reward yourself after completing a task. Psychologists call it positive reinforcement. It's just something to look forward to. Another good practice is reading and meditating on quotes that spur you into action. See my post on inspirational quotes if you need to draw strength from great quotes.

6. Be accountable to someone.

Getting an accountability partner helps keep you on your toes. Someone who will always check with you to make sure you are doing what you committed to work on. My wife does a great job at keeping me accountable. Not only does she make sure I don't forget what I need to get done, she also makes sure I do it at the scheduled time.

These are some of the things I do to overcome procrastination. Are there things you do differently to overcome/avoid pushing thing off? Share your thoughts in the comment section.

If you've enjoyed reading this, be sure to share with friends.

For more tips, visit www.infonubia.com
Re: Do It Now - 6 Tips For Overcoming Procrastination by princeelder: 4:56pm On May 31, 2013
Buy 25,000units sms @ 0.79kobo & get all the phone numbers of a state of your choice FREE + Free ebook on how to get over 2000 visitors to your bulk sms website in less than a week these and more awaits you now @ www.smswholesellers.com

(1) (Reply)

Power Pack / 5.7 Million Nigerians Now Using Mobile Money Says CBN / Registration Of Business Name. Help!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.