Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,639 members, 7,820,239 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / . (2945 Views)

My Ordeal With Customs And Quarantine Officers At Emirates Airline Desk MMIA / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos / Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by D1O(m): 12:21pm On Apr 22, 2008

2 Likes

Re: . by Akolawole(m): 12:49pm On Apr 22, 2008
Congrat my friend.

US visa is abracadabra.

Its one embassy i have never understand and will never understand.

## That you've visited the US before is nothing to them.

## That you have a UK indefinite stay with a mortgage is nothing to them.

I knew of a fellow married with Kids yet was denied because he has no ties.

I have a friend who has just #10,000 naira in his account, no hotel reservation, no invitation letter yet given 2 years multiple. But upon renewal he was refused.
Re: . by D1O(m): 12:53pm On Apr 22, 2008
@Akolawole

thanks.

indeed, they r quite unpredictable. u r right, i even had no invitation letter this time around while my friend who was refused had an IV from d son of a past US congressman
Re: . by funkybaby(f): 2:40pm On Apr 22, 2008
@D10

Wow! What can i say, lol. I tap into your well of blessings in Jesus name, Amen. Lol. Congratulations!!

You must wash this one for me oh. grin grin
Re: . by Ebonyj(f): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2008
Wow that is a fantastic testimony. Congrats dearie.
Re: . by Busta(f): 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2008
Good for u!!!!

and make use of it this time!
Re: . by D1O(m): 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2008
@ Busta

Ten years is a very long time oh. I dont see myself not visiting b4 then, even if I have to beg for flight ticket, lol

@Funkybaby,
yes oh to d washing and amen to the tapping in on blessings. By d way, did u still make dat movement u talked abt? I no hear anything again.
Re: . by paribus(m): 6:04pm On Apr 22, 2008
@D10 - glad to hear about your success story. At least you're free of US visa wahala for another 10 years. No more early morns at walter carrington.

Till date I am hoping to take a first time trip to the US as well hopefully late this year or next year but I've been quite apprehensive on this really. Reason being that before I left naija for studies here, I had been issued with 2-year multiple on 2 occassions but was unable to make time to travel due to work pressure and both now expired (last one mar 20007). My last renewal interview was a challenge as I had to really make a case for why I didn't use the very first one.

Now I'm weighing my options here as I don't want a refusal based on 2 previously unused visas. I'm not sure if the 'couldn't travel due to work pressure' excuse would fly with these guys. I'm out of ideas on the best way to approach this but I'm hoping to put in an application once I'm able to get an IGS visa later in the year.
Re: . by Akolawole(m): 6:16pm On Apr 22, 2008
@Paribus

You no serious at all.

United States are the most arrogant people on earth.

They hate such thing with a passion.

Why cant you just go even if its 3 JUST days.

### Having 10 years do not gurantee entry to US for those years, they are crazy people##

Unlike UK, they will re-issue the number of days they want you to stay  EACH TIME YOU APPEAR AT their POINT OF ENTRY.
Re: . by paribus(m): 6:29pm On Apr 22, 2008
@Akolawole

My bro - how I go do. I had been on the US visa case earlier in life and when I finally got it, it was like, so this is the Almighty yankee visa and then the interest to go on the previously planned holiday was really diminished as I had gotten a UK visit visa earlier. I went for UK trip then and it has been one event leading to another in which I ended up not going. I'd really really struggled early last year to go for a couple of days before the last one expired but then preparation for uni here took all my funds and was not able to.

I'm wondering  if applying to go on a paid training programme (like an IT course or a conference) after my studies would make more sense in this situation than a casual visit. I tire for these yankee people sha, my only consolation now is that it won't be a do or die affair now like it was then while nurturing the 'american dream' some couple of years back.
Re: . by D1O(m): 6:47pm On Apr 22, 2008
@Paribus,

While the paid training thing at the end of ur programme is not entirely a bad idea, in my opinion, u might want to conisder the ties outside the US clause.

If u applied while still at uni, ur studies should prove sufficient enuf ties to make u depart the US after ur visit (tho surprisingly it didnt in my friends case, but did in mine). But if u applied at the END of ur programme, dunno really.

But considering ur peculiar circumstances, u might want to get an IV to one of them conferences or especially for those professional bodies in Yankee of which u might be a student member which usually hold conferences around now, dat u are still a student. Get a hotel booked and if possible get a paper to present or at least publish in the journal.

Make the application and approach the interview from the perspective of the conference being invaluable to ur academic work. Present ur case from d angle of ''u definitely wouldnt miss this one based on d fact that it is part of ur school work here, so there obviously wouldnt be the case of u were too busy'

With regards to d previous visas, tell the truth, about having been busy. But in this case, it is part of ur educational pursuit, and should make a whole lot of sense.

It might seem a bit dicey, but u just need to give it a shot if u really want to. Remember dat the orientation of the Visa officer here is different, believe it or not, he knows at the back of his mind, dat u were able to scale d hurdles in 9ja, to be here legitimately and if u do not get d visa,, u still get to be here legitimately, if u wish.

Also consider writing a letter with the application, stating ur circumstances with the visas. In my experience, the decision whether or not to issue the visa is made in the intervening period between when u submit the documents at windows 1-10 and when u are called for the approximately 7 minute interview at windows 11-25. the interview is just to confirm and reassure the officer on his thots already from ur docs. So a letter might help. I didnt write one tho, but I'm thinking dat if my friend did, he might be all smiles today, dunno really.

Finally Paribus, a big thank u for all the clothing advise u gave just as I was abt leaving 9ja for the Uk back in 2007. You have no idea how much those meant to me. I still remember d long lines u wrote and I thank u for d effort, hence, I'd give any advice or help I can to u at anytime, one good turn does deserve another.
Re: . by brownbonno(m): 6:52pm On Apr 22, 2008
D1O:

talked about popsi's job and stuff in Nigeria and he made fun of my account balance saying I was almost getting as much as he was monthly as upkeep money from Nigeria

Zip it, he only approved your visa application because of the above reason.They are only interested in your money.If 1000 people travel to the USA with $1000 each=$1m into their economy.
Re: . by paribus(m): 7:47pm On Apr 22, 2008
@D10 - thanks for the timely insight as well. I was thinking along this line too but I'm not sure if my finances (bank statement) would be buoyant enough while still a student. That's the reason why I'd wanted to wait till I'm through with studies and possibly working on an IGS visa. And you're quite right on your observations about decisions most possibly being made even before appearing at the interview window.

The cover letter you suggested is a good idea and I think it would make a big difference as one would be able to explain one's situation more comprehensively than you might have time to do at an interview window. However I'm presuming that they allow you to submit a cover letter with your document in a bundle (and would have perused same) before being called up to the interview window - from my recollection, this was not the case at the naija embassy, they only collect your form and payment prior to calling you up to the interview window. Like you said, it's good the guys here have a different perspective than their counterparts in lagos. Anyhow, I believe it will be well.

Good you got through the rough part of the british weather unscathed.

I'll holla you back on any more hints needed on the amex interview. Regards
Re: . by Akolawole(m): 7:13pm On Apr 25, 2008
@Paribus

When did you want to apply for IGS?
Re: . by paribus(m): 12:11pm On Apr 26, 2008
Akolawole:

@Paribus

When did you want to apply for IGS?

I hope to apply in late October as I would have finished and gotten my final results by then. Regards
Re: . by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 26, 2008
i did a doubletake when i saw this post

our resident student is now a guru grin grin

wow!
funkybaby, akolawole et al
see how D10 dey advise people on visa issues and interviews. Truly you all have 'birthed' diligent students

D10
how's it going?
I've missed you

Take care
Re: . by abm2(f): 10:34am On May 14, 2008
Attention: D10, Akolawole, funkybaby, paribus and any other house member with experience

i am very new on nairaland, infact this is my first post
a friend introduced me yesterday and i registered this morning.

please can you give me advise on this us visa thing
i am a student here and i have a visa till 2010
i have been around since January 2007
and i am regular in school.

pls what documents will i need to present to them
as a friend of mine in America will like to invite me.

any contribution will be appreciated.
thanks
Re: . by igbogolo: 8:31pm On Jul 19, 2008
@ Dio
Nice story
but how can he possibly give u a 10 year visa on a passport with 5 years validity??
Re: . by kadman(m): 11:33pm On Jul 19, 2008
He will renew the passport and they transfer the VISA on it. Simple

(1) (Reply)

Help With Direction From Iyana Ipaja To SCOAN In Ikotun / Nigerians Working In South Korea / I Need Iberia Office Address In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.