Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! (52733 Views)

The Shame Called Nigerian Embassy In Johannesburg, SA / Funny Experience At The Us Embassy Lagos / US Embassy's Conditions For Baby Delivery In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by lagtech(m): 7:06am On Jun 30, 2014
I was at the US Embassy in Lagos whilst on a visit to Nigeria recently. Whilst waiting for my appointment-I watched as people were attended to:
Visiting Visas
Work Visas
Immigration Visas

For some it was joy, for others it was unbelievable sorrow. I saw grown men weeping and begging and people celebrating for joy. I noticed the many mistakes people made at the embassy. The way the interview hall is designed -there is little privacy-as you can see and hear what people say to their interviewers.

Case 1: A lady claiming to be a civil servant with the Lagos State Government was asked repeatedly her income and job specification. From what I could gather-this woman was a cleaner/sweeper with the LASG -but had a good side business. But knowing that her salary as a civil servant couldn't possibly foot her travel bills-she kept on avoiding a straight answer to the question. After the initial answer of "I am a sweeper" she kept on trying to explain that she had a side business and was a business woman -even though the interviewer had not asked here anything concerning this. She was denied.
Lesson: Answer the questions you are asked. Be precise to the point. The interviewer would likely have asked here later on how she intended to foot the travel bill with her salary. Then she could have mentioned her business and provided evidence. Not before she was asked.

Case 2: Someone apply for a Visiting Visa was asked time after time-why he chose to go to a particular city in America (I think it was in the State of Georgia or Utah-I cant remember) and they kept on rambling and stammering. If I was visiting Nigeria from the USA and was not born in Nigeria-and decided to go to Abeokuta: there could be many reasons why:
-Maybe I have friends there
-Maybe I want to visit Olumo Rock
-Maybe because its close to Lagos-but much cheaper than Lagos
-Maybe my friends have gone there before
There has to be valid reason why you choose a destination. It defys logic if you cant easily and swiftly in one sentence say why you picked your destination.

Case 3: A woman who was applying to join her Husband overseas-was asked repeatedly: How often does your Husband come to visit you. I don't know if it was tension or something else-but the lady kept rambling. The question was simple:
" How often does your husband visit you"
And she kept on telling stories. The interviewer even at one point tried to help her-by asking:
"Is it every month or every year?"
And this lady couldn't get herself together. I think she was denied.

Case 4: Couples who came to be interviewed-not sure if for Visa lottery or some other immigrant Visa were separated after the first few questions. They asked one guy-where did you meet your wife? Wow! How can a man or woman not know where they met their partner. Even after 80 year of marriage-couples know where they met. My bros could not answer. The interviewer reached the assumption that it was a sham marriage and cancelled the visa that I think was in the last stage as they had previously visited the embassy. I felt so bad when the guy started saying : "I beg you in the name of God" You cant beg oyinbo people like that o. As soon as they give a decision -its done. To change it could even mean they loose their jobs.

Case 5: An elderly woman came with a child -saying that the child (about 3 years I think) had been adopted by her relative in the USA. The interviewer just brought out a copy of Punch newspapers and showed an article that had exposed that particular orphanage as a criminal enterprise which the Lagos Sate Government had shut down.
Case 6: A guy brought a lady saying that she was his wife. The interviewer then asked the lady to face a camera and declared that the Embassy face recognition software clearly showed that the photograph on the initial application was not that of the person standing in front of her.Almost in tears -she tried to explain that she had grown weight or something. She was denied and his visa was cancelled I think for fraud.
And all this was in less than 3 hours. In fact there were so many more.
Advice:
Answer questions directly. Don't tell stories. The interviewers don't hate you or even know you. They also don't like you. You are just another number on a list of interviews they have to conduct to earn their pay check. Be cool, be calm, be collected.
I remember one young Embassy staff-denying a man and the man kept begging. The interviewer with no emotion kept repeating: The interview is over sir. Your Visa request has been denied. Bla bla bla bla.
Non Immigrant Visa
The Embassy assumes that EVERYONE coming for any kind of Visa has no intention of returning to Nigeria. They want evidence that you will come back. Something that will show that you will come back.
Immigrant Visa
While filing your forms-don't lie, don't embellish. Just say the truth and put your records in order.

And if for some reason-you are denied-its not the end of the world. Just turn the disappointment into a blessing.
God bless Nigeria. God bless America.

121 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Dreal1247: 7:22am On Jun 30, 2014
The truth remains that Nigerians most of the times fail to realise the fact that one of the easiest place to succeed in life is Nigeria. Some people are doing the menial job that they cant do in Nigeria abroad. Yet they cant even make ends meet.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by lagtech(m): 7:29am On Jun 30, 2014
Dreal1247: The truth remains that Nigerians most of the times fail to realise the fact that one of the easiest place to succeed in life is Nigeria. Some people are doing the menial job that they cant do in Nigeria abroad. Yet they cant even make ends meet.

I agree and I disagree.

Generally if you succeed in Place A -you can succeed in Place B. Success principles are universal. But geography, location and type of environment also affect levels of 'success".

There are Americans all over the world-it doesn't mean that they hate America. And there are Nigerians all over the world too-it doesn't mean that they hate Nigeria.

I have been in America for several years-and I haven't met any Nigerian doing any job they wouldn't do in Nigeria. There might be some-but I haven't met any of them. There is no shame in labor. As long as your work is honest-than you can be proud of it. And if there are some jobs that can be considered 'menial or low' it seems better to do it in a foreign land where you are guest and tenant than in your own land where you are a landlord.

Many Nigerians are making it in Nigeria and many Nigerians are making it in America!!!

Wherever you are-work hard, work smart, make your family and country proud-let the child you were be proud of the person YOU HAVE become and enjoy God's Earth!

137 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Generalkorex(m): 9:11pm On Jun 30, 2014
Thanks for sharing ideal here bro

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by sammieguze(m): 6:41am On Jul 01, 2014
Pele

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by BarryX(m): 6:46am On Jul 01, 2014
As for the non-immigrant Visas. Is the Marriage thingy compulsory ?
And if that is the case, can a sworn affidavit be presented as evidence or is it the marriage certificate?
Thanks OP
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 6:47am On Jul 01, 2014
In simple words: Be Sincere...

Naija too dey lie!

9 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Engrchuks2011: 6:48am On Jul 01, 2014
Thanks for the information. Happy new month my people.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by maxani: 6:52am On Jul 01, 2014
@OP: wow! What an experience! You won't believe what this man said at the embassysadvideo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEtAsq0aWeE
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by ayd91(m): 6:53am On Jul 01, 2014
It seems Nigerians love the American Dream more than other citizens.

3 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by otokx(m): 6:54am On Jul 01, 2014
2s£xy:
In simple words: Be Sincere...

Naija too dey lie!

Summary of every, God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by bebe2(f): 6:55am On Jul 01, 2014
Dreal1247: The truth remains that Nigerians most of the times fail to realise the fact that one of the easiest place to succeed in life is Nigeria. Some people are doing the menial job that they cant do in Nigeria abroad. Yet they cant even make ends meet.

listen, just stop dat kind talk this early morning.

these pple want choices, dats all. let them choose by their self, naija or abroad.

and it depends on wat ur idea of ''success'' is.

choices i repeat.

13 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by DEngineer(m): 6:55am On Jul 01, 2014
American Embassy is a place to be if you want to how desperate people are to leave this county.

Well in the history of American embassy Lagos. I was the first person to use the =N= 1,000 bill for visa application back in October 14, 2005.

Clearly I was denied on ground of probabilities.

I love those guys, they do their job.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Godson201333(m): 6:55am On Jul 01, 2014
Wow,you only saw the one happening in America embassy so many more examples from other embassies too.

A student was asked during her us visa interview...

Vo:so you want to go to America to further your studies.

Student: yes

Vo: how did you found the school?

Student:I can't remember

Vo:what do you know about the city you going to study eg Maryland

Student:the population there is very low and their major occupation Is farming.

Vo: and how is the weather like there.

Student:oh my friend told me it's always sunny out there..

Vo:okay you need to go back to secondary school and then re apply for your visa.

Good day.

7 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by EmmaB3(m): 6:57am On Jul 01, 2014
nawao
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by deedrizzie: 6:58am On Jul 01, 2014
Op thankss a lot fr ds post...a few mnths ago my parents were invited to come for a conference in d US..but were denied a visa...when i quizd dem on what happend..dey opend up and said dey cldnt reply when they were asked what the THEME of the program is. this lil details are very important..We Nigerians shld learn aw to take note of minor details...
God Bless Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by grandstar(m): 7:00am On Jul 01, 2014
I remember my u.k interview in 2002. The interviewer was incensed i misplaced my previous passport. thought it was a lie( actually true). she was ruthless with me! the indignation was written all over her. God bless her.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by bootstrap(m): 7:03am On Jul 01, 2014
the.. "i beg you in the name of God" got me cracking. when it comes to stuff like that, as much as i believe in miracles, i personally find it weird when pple do that, maybe i am not just emotional like that. its either right or wrong. Just say the f**king truth.

As an advice tho..... always have plan A, B, C and possibly D. Be it in an interview/job hunt, ur job, visa application.... whatever. It really simple. Just ask urself, if this venture doesn't fall through, what am i falling back to?

6 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Maxwell86(m): 7:05am On Jul 01, 2014
Wherever you Go.........

HOME is the best place

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by lagtech(m): 7:07am On Jul 01, 2014
BarryX: As for the non-immigrant Visas. Is the Marriage thingy compulsory ?
And if that is the case, can a sworn affidavit be presented as evidence or is it the marriage certificate?
Thanks OP

Non immigrant? Marriage as in how? Do you mean marriage as evidence of a binding tie to Nigeria?
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by eluquenson(m): 7:11am On Jul 01, 2014
Good examples for those who has understandings, some Nigerians don't even believe in their potentials that things can work for better here, they allow the economy to wind them down without any idea of how to develop themselves in business or whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by tellwisdom: 7:18am On Jul 01, 2014
Godson201333: Wow,you only saw the one happening in America embassy so many more examples from other embassies too.

A student was asked during her us visa interview...

Vo:so you want to go to America to further your studies.

Student: yes

Vo: how did you found the school?

Student:I can't remember

Vo:what do you know about the city you going to study eg Maryland

Student:the population there is very low and their major occupation Is farming.

Vo: and how is the weather like there.

Student:oh my friend told me it's always sunny out there..

Vo:okay you need to go back to secondary school and then re apply for your visa.

Good day.

Were you the Visa.Officer??

5 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Bantino(m): 7:20am On Jul 01, 2014
Woow..
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by mekuzee1(m): 7:21am On Jul 01, 2014
Everybody dn dhe talk dia own,,even ppl wey no know road to d embassy.,d only tin is jus 4 u 2 b BOLD,n go straight..
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by josite: 7:21am On Jul 01, 2014
with the best of answers,you can be denied a visa by any foreign government because it is not your right.so always pray for favour.

21 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Aida13: 7:22am On Jul 01, 2014
It's sad when you'll have to descend to jobs that seem beneath ur status just to stay afloat abroad. But then when you think of the good light, security of life and better opportunities, you can afford to manage till things improve. Unlike being in Nigeria with no good infrastructure.

7 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 01, 2014
Nice tip.
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by andymofia(m): 7:25am On Jul 01, 2014
Generalkorex: Thanks for sharing ideals here bro

ideals?
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by McWhillion(m): 7:36am On Jul 01, 2014
Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by McMayor(m): 7:44am On Jul 01, 2014
This is really informative. I think people should be able to at least be truthful. For someone like me, when i can face you i would know when you are lying and when you are not and not forgetting that this interviewers are well trained people and also they must have been doing the job for quite some time which means they must know what they are doing. The aspect where someone said they hate Nigerians, i really dont agree with that. I think we are just the cause of our problems. The first time i ever applied for a visa the lady(Interviewer) asked me certain questions which i answered even without a problem. I mean no rumbling, no thinking twice no too much blinking of the eyes, no shaking of the legs and she just stamped the stuff funny i didnt even travel i just want to know the system and how it works.

2 Likes

Re: Revelations At The US Embassy In Lagos: An Experience Of A Lifetime!!! by Nobody: 7:45am On Jul 01, 2014
The most annnoying aspect to me is the begging part, kai. Sometimes I just feel like giving those beggers a hot slap. With such level of begging and desperation by Nigerians why won't other countries treat them like shitts in their country.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

After Over One Year In Ghana. / Welcome To Balneario, Brazil, The Dubai Of Brazil(photos) / Drone Crashes Into Spewing Volcano In Iceland (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.